Are the Sox acting like a poor small market team or operating as a smart professional winning organization ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

Are the Sox acting like a poor small market team or operating as a smart professional winning organization ?

Trying to see what the consensus is ....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Are the Sox acting like a poor small market team or operating as a smart professional winning organization ?

In response to FL33178's comment:

A good hybrid of the two.  They are realistic that they can't outspend the Yanks, but take notes from the successful teams like the A's and Tampa who are consistently good on a budget.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Are the Sox acting like a poor small market team or operating as a smart professional winning organization ?

Think they are probably being smart - however, they need to sign an OF

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Youll get your answer if Napoli isnt re-signed and a Choo or a Beltran doesnt come in. 

If they are tring to sell Carp and Nava and JBJ as MLB replacements and Middlebrooks as a 1Bman, then they have decided to pretend they are a small market team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

A good hybrid of the two.  They are realistic that they can't outspend the Yanks, but take notes from the successful teams like the A's and Tampa who are consistently good on a budget.

I appreciate the response and tend to agree, but they are a team with $$$, that shouldn't let a few million ( if Napoli wants $16,000,000 a year vs $13,000,000 a year for three years ) or be scared because of the Crawford deal to go longer than 2-3 years on a player. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

They are going to spend 180-189 million no matter what. So they are acting like a brilliant big market team the last 2 years and have a championship to prove it. If they play their cards right, we might not only win the last pot and this pot but many more pots down the line. I hope they continue their philosophy. A Matt Kemp trade, Mike Napoli for 4 years or Ellsbury for 153 are boneheaded moves.

They will spend their money, hopefully wisely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i'd say they've found a balance that works,,,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In the Ben Cherrington era, even when they don't make big-market splashy moves, they are not behaving like a 'poor small market' team.  Last year they overpaid on shorter term second tier free agents and everyone losty their minds talking about waste of money.  In retrospect it was just real smart use of big market funds.  No reason to think it is any different this year.  Not giving Ellsbury 7 years and north 150 million is hardly cinching the belt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think they are really trying to remain fiscally responsible, while at the same time remaining competitive! They signed two top notch relievers, their needs at catcher were taken care of and that only leaves one OF and one 1Bman, they could still re-sign both Napoli and Drew but I'm not thinking they will sign either of them. Is that a small market mindset? No it's just saying to the wanna be big time stars that they have a value and if you can get more go ahead and do so.

If Napoli wants more than a three year deal he's probably gone,  and if Drew wants more than a 1 year deal he's gone. If they both leave the sox garner two more early round draft choices. While giving some of the young guys a chance to earn their keep at the big league level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Youll get your answer if Napoli isnt re-signed and a Choo or a Beltran doesnt come in. 

If they are tring to sell Carp and Nava and JBJ as MLB replacements and Middlebrooks as a 1Bman, then they have decided to pretend they are a small market team.

Yet if they do all those things and it allows for them to extend Lester before the season, would you do that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is too soon to know the answer to that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This Front Office is never going to "act like a poor small market team," but a World Championship, a deep farm system and what seems to be an excess of the greatest commodity in baseball (pitching), affords them the opportunity not to "panic" like some other teams out there....

By the way, I think that the Yankees letting Cano walk is going to be a great move for them, and not just long term.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd like to see them spend the full $189 million but they are being smart.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In the Ben Cherrington era, even when they don't make big-market splashy moves, they are not behaving like a 'poor small market' team.  Last year they overpaid on shorter term second tier free agents and everyone losty their minds talking about waste of money.  In retrospect it was just real smart use of big market funds.  No reason to think it is any different this year.  Not giving Ellsbury 7 years and north 150 million is hardly cinching the belt.

This offseason we bolstered our pitching when everyone said that it is where we had a log jam.  Under the radar type moves that are solid like trading for Badenhop for a pitcher in the gulf coast league who wasn't a top 60 prospect.  That is a smart move for any team. 

We also picked up depth at the back of the bullpen for reasonable cost at 9.5 mil over 2 years in Edward Mujica.  That is a lot of money for a guy not closing and is a smart big market strategy that worked as can be seen with Koji, but it is a smart move. 

They are working more with a Patriots style of putting value on something and not going over it.  I am positive that they have a dollar amount that they give to a first round pick, but I'm sure they subtract that right off the top when offering contracts to QO players.  They hoard picks on both long term and short term vets and can come across as cheap, but it is smart.

This is why Lester was quoted from yesterday's interveiw as saying point blank that he would have to take less to stay here long term.  The Sox lost the fiscal war and went into budget hell and are not going to head there again and have a new respect for being smart and shrewd.   I think the fans understand and respect the process now that they have won a few.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Last year they overpaid on shorter term second tier free agents and everyone losty their minds talking about waste of money.  In retrospect it was just real smart use of big market funds.  No reason to think it is any different this year.  Not giving Ellsbury 7 years and north 150 million is hardly cinching the belt."

This is spot-on. Overpaying for short term deals and overstocking on pitching is a winning formula. Softy for example was part of a vocal minority that didn't like either, but overpaying for short term is fine by me - especially when you bring in veterans who are hungry to win. 

A big difference between the Sox and the Yanks: both can overspend and may at times, but the Yanks have a higher ceiling to recover from badly spent funds. I think that makes Ben a bit more cautious which is ok. 

Lester's free agency could be a very interesting test, no? 

One thing folks rarely talk about: another way for big market teams to get an advantage is to smartly invest in the farm system. Small market teams can do that too, but big market teams have more funds to invest sending scouts to Latin America, high schools, junior high etc. :) 

It seems the Sox also spend here. 

Overall I really like how this team is being managed. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They spend close to the LT every year, so They can NEVER be accused of acting like a small market team. They were very smart about it when Henry and Co. took over, lost their way, and now with Ben as GM they are even better than with Theo IMO. This team isnt afraid to give long term deals (see Pedey) they will probably be more inclined to spend on their own players, but are NOT giving out contracts like Ells got. Pedey will have made 100+M with the Sox when its all said and done, and be contending for championships year in and year out. If thats not good enough for guys like Ells who want to chase the $$, then bye bye. The Sox have a strong enough farm system and organizational model that losing Ells, while tough, will not hurt us as much as some might think. Theres 9 guys out there playing, 25 on the team and 40 on a roster. No one man makes or breaks this team.

Naps took less to stay here. Still, 32M is a lot of cash. He realizes that, and is more concerned about being happy where hes playing than chasing a couple million. I love that.

Sorry for the rant...Just my thoughts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They spend close to the LT every year, so They can NEVER be accused of acting like a small market team.

I never understood why some people talk about them being cheap, when the fact is that we always spend pretty close to the cap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They spend close to the LT every year, so They can NEVER be accused of acting like a small market team. They were very smart about it when Henry and Co. took over, lost their way, and now with Ben as GM they are even better than with Theo IMO. This team isnt afraid to give long term deals (see Pedey) they will probably be more inclined to spend on their own players, but are NOT giving out contracts like Ells got. Pedey will have made 100+M with the Sox when its all said and done, and be contending for championships year in and year out. If thats not good enough for guys like Ells who want to chase the $$, then bye bye. The Sox have a strong enough farm system and organizational model that losing Ells, while tough, will not hurt us as much as some might think. Theres 9 guys out there playing, 25 on the team and 40 on a roster. No one man makes or breaks this team.

Naps took less to stay here. Still, 32M is a lot of cash. He realizes that, and is more concerned about being happy where hes playing than chasing a couple million. I love that.

I think you are getting a little carried away with it. Actually, how much less did Napoli take to stay here ? Not a whole lot. We are going to pay him 16 mil per. He is not all that good.  How much more can he expect ? Nine guys out there playing ?  Come on. "No one man makes or breaks this team " sounds like a stale cliche. Would we even be celebrating this off season if not for David Ortiz?   There is a certain euphoria that goes with winning a championship, but let's try to keep it in perspective. Ben needs to try and keep improving the team. If not, things can fall apart quickly. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

They spend close to the LT every year, so They can NEVER be accused of acting like a small market team.

I never understood why some people talk about them being cheap, when the fact is that we always spend pretty close to the cap.

There is no cap.  This isnt the NHL.

See:  "Yankees, New York."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

They are going to spend 180-189 million no matter what. So they are acting like a brilliant big market team the last 2 years and have a championship to prove it. If they play their cards right, we might not only win the last pot and this pot but many more pots down the line. I hope they continue their philosophy. A Matt Kemp trade, Mike Napoli for 4 years or Ellsbury for 153 are boneheaded moves.

They will spend their money, hopefully wisely.

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This Front Office is never going to "act like a poor small market team," but a World Championship, a deep farm system and what seems to be an excess of the greatest commodity in baseball (pitching), affords them the opportunity not to "panic" like some other teams out there....

By the way, I think that the Yankees letting Cano walk is going to be a great move for them, and not just long term.  

Don't say that. I'm enjoying it. Especially after they took Ellsbury. I'm also enjoying Granderson on the Mets. Who knew?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Dumb thread.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/2014-boston-red-sox-payroll-currently-at-1875-mm-only-15-mm-under-the-luxury-tax/100/6923837

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Who cares if they are a small market team who dresses in women's clothing... they won a WS. That being said "smart" and "professional" and "winning" are relevant adjectives to describe this team.

Last point, Sox learned a valuable lesson. Small market mindset only goes so far. There were a good amount of empty seats last year. Therefore, even if they could win with an As or Rays budget they will always have to have a few "overpaid" superstars simply to draw fans.

I don't post here a ton, but when I do I'm right on the money 50% of the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Yes and No, they are trying to give their prospects a shot and want to continue to build a strong farm.  The problem is, I don't feel we have the right prospects needed in key positions so they should make a splash for a real centerpiece.  Bogy should grow quickly he has great plate discipline and maturity for a youngster.  Middy and JBJ I don't feel will improve all that much next season.  

Sections
Shortcuts