Are there new gaps in the outfield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Are there new gaps in the outfield?

Were there really that many gaps in the outfield where all those balls were going, or was is just glaringly obvious that, without Ells in the game, it just seemed that way?  He always seems to be able to get to balls that are hit into the gaps, so it just seems effortless.

And, I love Reddick, but didn't anyone else miss Drew's fielding, along with his ability to gun runners down? I've said this before, run prevention is very similar to creating runs. Would he have gotten to the balls hit in right? Again, he also makes it seem effortless. Do we just assume anyone can do it?

And, of course, there are those balls that no one can get to, so I could be mistaken. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Are there new gaps in the outfield?

Reddick is a great fielder and has a nice arm. He just was a little off tonight on the throw home. The ball hit over his head off Wake was not catchable in my opinion, but ESPN seemed to think otherwise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Are there new gaps in the outfield?:
    [QUOTE]Reddick is a great fielder and has a nice arm. He just was a little off tonight on the throw home. The ball hit over his head off Wake was not catchable in my opinion, but ESPN seemed to think otherwise.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I love Reddick on the team. He's been great offensively, and I do believe he's a great fielder as well. He really seems like a natural athlete. It's good to know the ball was not catchable. It's always hard to tell since so many great plays are made in the outfield.

I believe it's possible Drew could have gotten the runner, but they are obviously in different stages of their career. I believe he's thrown runners out before, even tagging up at third.

But, as a natural athlete, I think he's going to be great for the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Reddick is a better OFer than Ellsbury. What dont notice is how deep Ellsbury plays. Though running side to side it might help net a few more gappers, it allows way more bleeder hits in front. Although some situations call for playing deeper, Ellsbury plays deep all the time. He does it because he has problems running routes to balls hit deeper and not right at him. He has the weakest of OF arms and has a short stride that makes his upper body bounce around and makes it difficult to glove tougher chances without dropping the ball.

Not surprising that gushing hyperbole about Ellsbury is separated from reality. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Are there new gaps in the outfield?:
    [QUOTE]Were there really that many gaps in the outfield where all those balls were going, or was is just glaringly obvious that, without Ells in the game, it just seemed that way?  He always seems to be able to get to balls that are hit into the gaps, so it just seems effortless. And, I love Reddick, but didn't anyone else miss Drew's fielding, along with his ability to gun runners down? I've said this before, run prevention is very similar to creating runs. Would he have gotten to the balls hit in right? Again, he also makes it seem effortless. Do we just assume anyone can do it? And, of course, there are those balls that no one can get to, so I could be mistaken. 
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Actually if you apply the TEK rule to Drew, gunning down runners and excellent fielding are unimportant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

come to think of it neither is hitting. The Tek Rule applies aptly to Drew.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Drew handles the pitching staff well. Varitek has miled that for almost half a decade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is a better OFer than Ellsbury. What dont notice is how deep Ellsbury plays. Though running side to side it might help net a few more gappers, it allows way more bleeder hits in front. Although some situations call for playing deeper, Ellsbury plays deep all the time. He does it because he has problems running routes to balls hit deeper and not right at him. He has the weakest of OF arms and has a short stride that makes his upper body bounce around and makes it difficult to glove tougher chances without dropping the ball. Not surprising that gushing hyperbole about Ellsbury is separated from reality. 
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

That largely goes for this assessment as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is a better OFer than Ellsbury. What dont notice is how deep Ellsbury plays. Though running side to side it might help net a few more gappers, it allows way more bleeder hits in front. Although some situations call for playing deeper, Ellsbury plays deep all the time. He does it because he has problems running routes to balls hit deeper and not right at him. He has the weakest of OF arms and has a short stride that makes his upper body bounce around and makes it difficult to glove tougher chances without dropping the ball. Not surprising that gushing hyperbole about Ellsbury is separated from reality. 

Not surprising how certain posters who underestimated Jake won't ever own up to it. Anybody who compares a RF'er to a catcher never graduated kindergarten.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

PLease! Stop already with this

Reddick is a Great Player both offensively and defensively. He almost made that throw.

Drew would not have, because he is on the bench where he belongs and typically is. Drew has been awful this year and average most other years. Drew, historically is often injured and unavailable.

Drew is finished with this team. He will be on the same Bus headed out of town as a few other players who I will not name.

Reddick at his worst right now would be better than Drew at his best. Drew has been a decent defensive player who made his career at being just OK Average and never being really great at anything.

Look at Reddicks Offensive Stats right now. Also were your wearing blindfolds when he threw out other runners in other recent games not to mention several great catches. Get Real!!

Reddick, Elsbury and Crawford now make up one of the fastest and best defensive Outfileds in all of Baseball. Now if we could get Crawford to contribute we might just go deeper in the Playoffs.

Drew is finished here so say your goodbyes to him and quit your wining.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The outfield is fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Were there really that many gaps in the outfield where all those balls were going, or was is just glaringly obvious that, without Ells in the game, it just seemed that way?  He always seems to be able to get to balls that are hit into the gaps, so it just seems effortless. And, I love Reddick, but didn't anyone else miss Drew's fielding, along with his ability to gun runners down? I've said this before, run prevention is very similar to creating runs. Would he have gotten to the balls hit in right? Again, he also makes it seem effortless. Do we just assume anyone can do it? And, of course, there are those balls that no one can get to, so I could be mistaken. 

Drew ? Is he still around? The only thing Drew was good at was gunning down another Doctor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick is a "great " player??????????????????
    Wow! A real pink hat statement.
    5-34 and sinking like a stone in water. Hardly gets the ball out of the infield.
    Not that good an outfielder.
    Gotta love the dopes who see this journeyman as the new Josh Hamilton!
    HE"S NOT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Cant just compare Drew and Reddick just for this year?  IF you look at Drew in last 7 years, I was grateful to see him playing in RF.  He played so perfectly alot especially he is one of the better RF defender at Fenway Park.  As for now, Reddick is a better hitter than Drew.  Believe it or not, Reddick strikeouts ratio is higher than Drew.  Also Riddick is batting .305 compare to Drew's career average is .278.  Not much difference!!!   If Drew want to come back, I would ask him to take a huge discount contract at the same time to be a bench player .

By the way, I cant believe that one of the poster think that Drew do not have an Arm.  Seriously at age 35, he still throw better than 30% today OF's!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Journey man?  Did someone reassign the meaning of "journey man" and not get the memo out? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

1. "An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker."

People who don't know the meaning somehow think it means someone who goes place to place.

So, how's that big .250 average since the All-Star game .245 in August and ZERO RBI in his last 7 games, strike you?
    "Great player"??? I think the meaning of great has been reassigned, eh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

No gushing hyperbole from me , just an honest observation.  Ellsbury is a far better outfielder than Reddick.  There is really no comparison.  Reddick has a lot to learn.  Also , it is simply not true that Ellsbury always plays a deep centerfield.  He adjusts from hitter to hitter.  Reddick does have a stronger arm , although not as accurate.  Josh has a long way to go to be as good as Ellsbury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are there new gaps in the outfield? : Actually if you apply the TEK rule to Drew, gunning down runners and excellent fielding are unimportant.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't bash Tek. He's my favorite player. Any team would be lucky to have him. There's been a major difference in the Salty who first came on board, and the Salty who plays now. Tek is the main reason for that. His knowledge of batters, I believe, is unmatched in the major leagues. He has also improved pitchers' performances. The confidence they have in him says it all. And how much "fielding" does he actually do?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are there new gaps in the outfield? : Drew ? Is he still around? The only thing Drew was good at was gunning down another Doctor.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Did you ever think that all the constant criticism he's had to endure had an effect on how he hit? People always obsessed about a salary they're not paying. I think the same thing happened to Carl. You can't continually bash a player and then expect them to do well. When he played his last couple of games, he had visible bags under his eyes. I don't know why fans don't understand that they should build players up, not cut them down.

If you want someone to do well, you encourage them, and let them know you believe in them. They would probably have an easier time living up to expectations if they weren't being constantly hammered by the fans. JMO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Reddick does have a stronger arm , although not as accurate.

It's more accurate. Since ellsbury can't get the ball to the infield without a relay, it hardly matters if Ellsbury's girls softball arm is accurate.

You are wrong, Reddick is a better Of'er than Ellsbury, who does play deep all the time, even when he's directed to move in he's still deep.

Reddick also has a better swing, more power, and with experience will put up better career OPS if he doesn't suffer a serious career damaging injury.

The only thing Ellsbury is better at is speed, but it's not hard to be a baserunner as stupid as Ellsbury.

I'm going to pencil you in for 142M for Ellsbury, while I'm going to pencil Ellsbury for trade and that money applied to a star young RH slugging OF'er and promote Reddick and Kalish.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

i would give josh an offseason at least to learn to play right field. it's one of the most difficult and would likely take any talented outfielder some time to learn.
    i dont think josh has learned to be a great outfielder in general yet, let alone master fenway's right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are there new gaps in the outfield? : i would give josh an offseason at least to learn to play right field. it's one of the most difficult and would likely take any talented outfielder some time to learn. i dont think josh has learned to be a great outfielder in general yet, let alone master fenway's right.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

In the post season, who do you want in RF?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Reddick is an OK RF.  Drew is a really good RF.  Reddick, offensively, was playing out of his mind when he first came up.  But his average seems to be finding him.  If a guy comes up to the majors and does better than he did in AAA, then don't expect it to last. 

I think that reddick was projected to be a back up and not a starter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick was always projected as a 4th OF on this team. Maybe he could start in San Diego or somewhere.
    His stats have been dismal since the All-Star break, and he's not contributing.
    In the playoff, I want Drew, because he's been there and done well.
    Reddick late in games doesn't do much. The Yankee game that he won was an anomoly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are there new gaps in the outfield? : i would give josh an offseason at least to learn to play right field. it's one of the most difficult and would likely take any talented outfielder some time to learn. i dont think josh has learned to be a great outfielder in general yet, let alone master fenway's right.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Where have you seen major flaws in Reddick's fielding. I've seen him make some great catches, one took a HR away from the opposition. Comparing him to Drew on defense is not fair since few are as good as Drew.

Sections
Shortcuts