Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

LCS  1 for 12 , 0 Runs, 0 RBIs, 1 BB, 6 K's

Division Series 2 for 15, 1 Run, 2 RBI, 0 BB, 2 K's

Total  3 for 27, 1 Run, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 8 K's

Average  .111

OBA   .143

SLUG  .185

OPS  .328

He is awful at the plate.

Any arguments?

They have to change something because outside of the Ortiz grand slam, the Sox have 4 runs in the other 31 innings, and the Tigers have Sanchez, Scherzer and Verlander coming up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

And didn't Farrell say he's start Carp, Ross and Bogaerts this series? I don't care about Drew's ego. He won't be here next year and Bogaerts will.

Play him. Nothing to lose. Nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox are losing - and ADG appears armed with criticisms ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Should we bench every hitter who goes 1 for 12 at any given moment in their careers?

I'm not saying I have confidence in Drew's bat: I don't, but still...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Leave him in, he'll hit, and probably in the clutch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

XB plays. At the least, it can't be any worse. At best an upgrade. If you want later, pinch for Middlebrooks and shift XB to third. Very underrated fact is he can play both. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dennisfrancis. Show dennisfrancis's posts

Middlebrooks is the one who should sit.  He's a near automatic out.  XB should be playing. We need his bat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sure, I'd take him in there at 3rd over Middlebrooks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Farrell seems to be committed to Drew. Doubt that will change at this point, especially against a righty. Good chance that Bogaerts plays third. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Truth be told I have gotten to watch 6 of the play-off games this season and I still forgot Middlebrooks was on the team... which means he has been non-factor.

However they barely played Xander in late September which essentially told us they have had zero plans to start him regardless.

[/QUOTE]

"had" zero plans... plans changed... we need an offensive spark

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Truth be told I have gotten to watch 6 of the play-off games this season and I still forgot Middlebrooks was on the team... which means he has been non-factor.

However they barely played Xander in late September which essentially told us they have had zero plans to start him regardless.

[/QUOTE]

"had" zero plans... plans changed... we need an offensive spark

[/QUOTE]

Agreed like Ellsbury in '07. Seems that worked out pretty well.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Doies anyone relly think that XB will do worse than 3 for 27?  Really, come on.  

Sit Drew's rump on the pine and give Bogie a shot.  He DID draw a key BB in Game 2.   

Funny, how the Drew Bros. mimic each other.  When they go cold, they're stiffs buried in a glacier.  When they're hot, they are on fire for about 3 games, then back to the Ice Age.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doies anyone relly think that XB will do worse than 3 for 27?  Really, come on.  

Sit Drew's rump on the pine and give Bogie a shot.  He DID draw a key BB in Game 2.   

Funny, how the Drew Bros. mimic each other.  When they go cold, they're stiffs buried in a glacier.  When they're hot, they are on fire for about 3 games, then back to the Ice Age.

[/QUOTE]

He drew walks and in his at bat tonight all he did was hit a GR double. He had said next time he saw Benoit (after game 1) he would have a better at bat. And he did. How you keep him out now is beyond me. Why is it some posters here see these things and those in the dugout/FO can't. Kinda weird. Almost to the point that the "throwing" of games isn't completely out there as an idea. Maybe bogie gets a hit earlier in the game instead of striking out like Drew did. Oh and this new stat. 3 playoff games and he's scored 3 runs. That says something I would say no?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Farrell is patient.  He's a lot like Francona that way.  In the 2004 ALCS fans were screaming for Francona to bench Bellhorn because he wasn't hitting.  Francona stuck with him and Bellhorn had 8 RBI in a 4-game stretch, including 2 game-deciding home runs.

All that said Bogaerts is certainly knocking on the door and it won't be a surprise to see him start tonight or the next game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leave him in, he'll hit, and probably in the clutch.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. What I would do is play Zander at 3rd. He has better command of the strike zone and a far better defender.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

When it comes to Drew ( & everyone else in the lineup for that matter ), he has to start swinging at that close (presumable strike 3) pitch. Man on 3B, 2 outs, 2 stikes, close pitch, and the bat doesn't leave his shoulders. Instead he turns to the umpire to talk about it.

Gotta fight that pitch off, stay alive, and hope you get your pitch sooner than later. 

Patience at the plate is what got them here, but it means nothing if they don't protect the plate also. 

I'm for starting Bogaerts over Drew at Short for a game for 2 reasons. Bogey might bring it, and 2 that might spark something in WMB to start producing. Who knows? They technically have a game to lose anyway. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Should we bench every hitter who goes 1 for 12 at any given moment in their careers?

I'm not saying I have confidence in Drew's bat: I don't, but still...

[/QUOTE]

Well guess what Moon, Farrell all but said that changes are coming for tonight on the left side of the infield. They are a combined 2 for 22 in this series. 

Has Drew looked good at the plate? Even remotely? No.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are losing - and ADG appears armed with criticisms ...

[/QUOTE]

Please Notin. A blind squirrel could see Drew (and Middlebrooks) are giving them nothing. There will be a change tonight and Farrell essentially said so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He will be in there tonight. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell seems to be committed to Drew. Doubt that will change at this point, especially against a righty. Good chance that Bogaerts plays third. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Bogaerts, will play tonight. Just a question of where. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Drew is not the only guys struggling.  Papi, Middlebrook, Napoli, etc are all struggling too.

Farrell is not going to make alot of changes.  Boston got 10 hits last nite, but only scored three runs.

So hitting is coming around the corner now.  Maybe putting Bogaerts for Middlebrook makes sense cuz you do not want to take out left handing hitter for a rightie!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Heck, no, we aren't agreed.  Drew is easily our best fielding SS and overall has the 5th best WAR among AL shortstops.  He and Middlebrooks both have just 1 hit in 4 games in the ALCS.  I think Bogaerts will start tonight, but at 3B.  The ALCS is not about next year.  It's about right now. 

Speaking of 1 hit wonders, that also fits David Ortiz.  The one hit was a doozy, but otherwise he too has struggled.  And Pedroia and Victorino haven't been hitting much either.  Perfect example was the 9th inning last night when Ellsbury sat on 3B while Vic and Pedey K'd and Ortiz grounded out.  This bad hitting epidemic has a simple explanation--great Tigers pitching. 

Blaming everything on Drew is folly. 

Sections
Shortcuts