Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Should we bench every hitter who goes 1 for 12 at any given moment in their careers?

I'm not saying I have confidence in Drew's bat: I don't, but still...

Well guess what Moon, Farrell all but said that changes are coming for tonight on the left side of the infield. They are a combined 2 for 22 in this series. 

Has Drew looked good at the plate? Even remotely? No.

No he hasn't, but neither did Napoli a couple months back when you were calling for his demotion or benching, and he got hot.

Look, I'm fine with starting Bogey over Middy or Drew tonight, but my point is that all players go through tough streaks, and if a manager knee-jerked them out of the line-up every time, we'd miss the games where they turn it around.

Yes, they are 2 for 22, and Papi is 1 for 15. Others are struggling as well. 

I'd sit Middy tonight vs the righty, and if Drew looks bad again tonight, I'd maybe sit him on Saturday. That being said, I'm not expecting Bogey to light a fire either game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

I also agree that Bogaerts should be in there.  I posted on another article 2 days ago and got slammed for it.  Sorry, Drew is doing little of anything.  Yes, he got a hit Tuesday night (which went to waste).  None last night.  Middlebrooks isn't doing much either, but he has more power if he does get a hit.  David isn't doing it either except the clutch Grand Slam (which is big) and he will break out of it.  The Tigers pitching is really really good.  Need to mix it up a bit.  I think Drew should sit tonight, Middlebrooks sits Saturday.  Get Bogaerts in there a couple games and see if he can do what Ellsbury did when they put him in for Coco back in 2007.  It sure can't be any worse than what is going on right now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd put Boggy in over Middlebrooks.  Man whoever thought he was better than Youk wasn't paying attention to Youk's AB's and OBP and playoff success........

Ells, Vic, Pedey, Ortiz, Nap, Nava, Boggy, Ross, Drew

Lester needs to stay laser focused

And our hitters need to be patient - Sanchez is wild; when you see a FB, hack otherwise, let it go.....make him throw his soft stuff for strikes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

XB at 3rd tonight......WM needs to sit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Take it easy still like our chances, 2 games could have gone against us easy. We're still in it. Everybody really think your going to sweep the Tigers at home? Go with the ones that brought you to the dance.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Drew sits. Boggy starts.  Small sample of 4 plate appearances but Boggy has got on base three times and scored.

As to Moonslav's 1 for 12 small sample.... One sticks with a player during regular season, as Francona did with Pedroia; but not in post-season where you don't have many games to wait for someone to break out of a slump.  You also have to take into account stranded runners which Drew has in bunches - he has stranded over 20, WMB six.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Ortiz is hitting .067, should we bench him. Victorino not hitting good either. Take it easy, relax. Try to remember we weren't suppose to be here in the first place.
    This team has a way, of coming back, when nobody believes.
    I'll wait till last out of last game till I think they are done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Sanchez is better again righties than lefties.

Sit Middlebrooks and put Bogearts at 3rd.

Drew stays in the lineup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

anyone counting on Drew to carry the offense really should stop watching baseball forever

i don't mean any disrespect when i say that - i am being completely honest

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

anyone counting on Drew to carry the offense really should stop watching baseball forever

i don't mean any disrespect when i say that - i am being completely honest

Who said they were counting on Drew to carry the offense?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Consensus seems to be Bogaerts in for Middlebrooks.  I think that's what's going to happen too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Leave him in, he'll hit, and probably in the clutch.

There is no time to wait for Drew to come out of his slump. Bench him. Its rolling the dice with the rookie, but Drew has been a non-entity at the plate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Makes much more sense to sit Middlebrooks. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew plays and Middy sits. easy. Peoblem solved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Here's our problem with sitting both Drew & Middy. Humphrey....oops Xander Bogaerds can probably play SS and/or 3rd.  In reserve we have McDonald who can play SS but his hitting not better than Drew. Qunitin Berry & Jackie Bradley Jr. are both good pinch runners but we need hits to get them on. As for starting, they are both outfielders.

Positives, Drew & Middy are both great defensive players and Middy, like a blind Chipmunk can find an acorn occasionally, has power and can hit a HR. Personally, I think Napoli's HR was a fluke and he closed his eyes, swung & got lucky.  I believ 1/2 his bats are strike outs. What's kept us at 2-2, our pitching & relief pitching, except for Peavy, and timely, lucky too perhaps, HRs by Ortiz & Napoli.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Do you like these stats on Drew? This from a writer and not me. For all of you arguing for Drew, please.

The veteran has looked lifeless at the plate throughout the playoffs, hitting .107 (3-for-28) with a .317 OPS and eight strikeouts, and his only two RBI came versus the Rays in the ALDS. More problematic, Boston has left 58 men on base through eight games and Drew has personally stranded 21 (to Middlebrooks’ six). It’s consistently been a problem in big spots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Drew plays and Middy sits. easy. Peoblem solved.

Thats whats going to happen apparently. Works for me. Neither Drew nor Middlebrooks has been particularly useful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Heck, no, we aren't agreed.  Drew is easily our best fielding SS and overall has the 5th best WAR among AL shortstops.  He and Middlebrooks both have just 1 hit in 4 games in the ALCS.  I think Bogaerts will start tonight, but at 3B.  The ALCS is not about next year.  It's about right now. 

Speaking of 1 hit wonders, that also fits David Ortiz.  The one hit was a doozy, but otherwise he too has struggled.  And Pedroia and Victorino haven't been hitting much either.  Perfect example was the 9th inning last night when Ellsbury sat on 3B while Vic and Pedey K'd and Ortiz grounded out.  This bad hitting epidemic has a simple explanation--great Tigers pitching. 

Blaming everything on Drew is folly. 

Of the 58 men LOB by the Red Sox in the playoffs, Drew has personally left 21 of them. He won't be in there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Heck, no, we aren't agreed.  Drew is easily our best fielding SS and overall has the 5th best WAR among AL shortstops.  He and Middlebrooks both have just 1 hit in 4 games in the ALCS.  I think Bogaerts will start tonight, but at 3B.  The ALCS is not about next year.  It's about right now. 

Speaking of 1 hit wonders, that also fits David Ortiz.  The one hit was a doozy, but otherwise he too has struggled.  And Pedroia and Victorino haven't been hitting much either.  Perfect example was the 9th inning last night when Ellsbury sat on 3B while Vic and Pedey K'd and Ortiz grounded out.  This bad hitting epidemic has a simple explanation--great Tigers pitching. 

Blaming everything on Drew is folly. 

Who's blaming? This thread just says that he shoudl be replaced. Period.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Should we bench every hitter who goes 1 for 12 at any given moment in their careers?

I'm not saying I have confidence in Drew's bat: I don't, but still...

Well guess what Moon, Farrell all but said that changes are coming for tonight on the left side of the infield. They are a combined 2 for 22 in this series. 

Has Drew looked good at the plate? Even remotely? No.

No he hasn't, but neither did Napoli a couple months back when you were calling for his demotion or benching, and he got hot.

Look, I'm fine with starting Bogey over Middy or Drew tonight, but my point is that all players go through tough streaks, and if a manager knee-jerked them out of the line-up every time, we'd miss the games where they turn it around.

Yes, they are 2 for 22, and Papi is 1 for 15. Others are struggling as well. 

I'd sit Middy tonight vs the righty, and if Drew looks bad again tonight, I'd maybe sit him on Saturday. That being said, I'm not expecting Bogey to light a fire either game.

Moon - There's a big difference between the regular season against up and down pitchers, and the playoffs where the Red Sox are seeing top pitchers every game.  Drew has left 33% of the runners the Red Sox have left on base. I think Middy would do better with Bogaerts in there. Young competition, not a veteran who won't be around next year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Drew sits. Boggy starts.  Small sample of 4 plate appearances but Boggy has got on base three times and scored.

As to Moonslav's 1 for 12 small sample.... One sticks with a player during regular season, as Francona did with Pedroia; but not in post-season where you don't have many games to wait for someone to break out of a slump.  You also have to take into account stranded runners which Drew has in bunches - he has stranded over 20, WMB six.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

Bingo

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts