Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Are We All In Agreement that Drew Should Sit Tomorrow?

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Ortiz is hitting .067, should we bench him. Victorino not hitting good either. Take it easy, relax. Try to remember we weren't suppose to be here in the first place.
    This team has a way, of coming back, when nobody believes.
    I'll wait till last out of last game till I think they are done.

There's a big difference. There really isn't an option to replace those guys. Do you replace Ortiz with Carp, who doesn't have a hit? No. Who replaces Victorino's defense?

Drew is easily replaceable and will be on the bench tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

anyone counting on Drew to carry the offense really should stop watching baseball forever

i don't mean any disrespect when i say that - i am being completely honest

Who said they were counting on Drew to carry the offense?

I guess I have to draw you a picture.

The entire line up isn't hitting.  The team is built around the first 4 hitters.  Drew is here mostly for his defense; he's essentially a #9 hitter.  Other guys are paid to be run producers.  Yet people want to bench Drew as if all of a sudden we'll start scoring more runs.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Drew plays and Middy sits. easy. Peoblem solved.

Middy has left 6 men on base. Drew has left 21, more than anyone on the team and over 33% of the Red Sox total. Drew sits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Middy has left 6 men on base. Drew has left 21, more than anyone on the team and over 33% of the Red Sox total. 

Only because Middy has come up with fewer men on base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

anyone counting on Drew to carry the offense really should stop watching baseball forever

i don't mean any disrespect when i say that - i am being completely honest

Who said they were counting on Drew to carry the offense?

I guess I have to draw you a picture.

The entire line up isn't hitting.  The team is built around the first 4 hitters.  Drew is here mostly for his defense; he's essentially a #9 hitter.  Other guys are paid to be run producers.  Yet people want to bench Drew as if all of a sudden we'll start scoring more runs.......

Drew will sit. He looks a lot more lost at the plate. Middlebrooks will play off of Bogaerts.

Who will be here next year? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A long thread about a minor point--who will bat 9th for the Sox.  Give me a break.  I see nothing wrong with giving Bogaerts a shot, but fail to see how benching Drew, our best fielding SS who has already saved a couple of runs with his glove, is going to overcome the Tigers big edge in starting pitching.  When Ortiz goes 1 for 15, you gotta give the Tigers pitchers some credit.  Ditto whe Vic and Pedey K with Ellsbury on 3B and one or none out.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middy has left 6 men on base. Drew has left 21, more than anyone on the team and over 33% of the Red Sox total. Drew sits.

LOB ? really? thats your justification? come on ADG. Does defemse fall into consideration with you because Drew has saved a few runs with his D as well.

100% disagree with you. Middy looks like he did before he was sent down. Lost. Even though Drew has made some outs, a few of those were solid hit balls. Middy isnt even making contact. its really a no-brainer who your going to sit by looking at Drew and Middy. take a seat Will.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Truth is, it doesn't much matter which of our two appendixes sit: they are both useless at the plate. Tonight's game hinges on what Lester can do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Middy has left 6 men on base. Drew has left 21, more than anyone on the team and over 33% of the Red Sox total. 

21 to 6? Jeepers. 

Middy also had the leadoff hit in the 8th in Game 2. Also postseason combined, Middy is at .174 with a .510 OPS, Drew is .107 with a .317 OPS.  Check the stats and see who's been the worst hitter (60 points worse than anyone) on the entire roster (outside of Carp and his 6 AB's).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'd flip flop them too. 8th Bogaerts, 9th Drew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

LOB ? really? thats your justification? come on ADG. Does defemse fall into consideration with you because Drew has saved a few runs with his D as well.

100% disagree with you. Middy looks like he did before he was sent down. Lost. Even though Drew has made some outs, a few of those were solid hit balls. Middy isnt even making contact. its really a no-brainer who your going to sit by looking at Drew and Middy. take a seat Will.

Middy at least hit in the ALDS (.250). He started the rally in Game 2. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I'd flip flop them too. 8th Bogaerts, 9th Drew.

Bogaerts and Ellsbury back to back could create a lot of speed on the bases. Why insert an automatic out between Bogaerts and Drew?

Drew has been an automatic out this postseason. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

A long thread about a minor point--who will bat 9th for the Sox.  Give me a break.  I see nothing wrong with giving Bogaerts a shot, but fail to see how benching Drew, our best fielding SS who has already saved a couple of runs with his glove, is going to overcome the Tigers big edge in starting pitching.  When Ortiz goes 1 for 15, you gotta give the Tigers pitchers some credit.  Ditto whe Vic and Pedey K with Ellsbury on 3B and one or none out.  

Bingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

From Sports writer on Globe:

Interpret that however you’d like, but it would be awfully surprising if Bogaerts isn’t penciled in the starting nine this evening. Granted, he’s never faced Sanchez in his brief career, but he entered Game 4 as a defensive replacement and led off the ninth inning with an opposite field, ground-rule double off Joaquin Benoit before, you guessed it, coming around to score. Even after sitting most of the night, he was ready to be a difference-maker.

That brings us back to the coin-flip. If Bogaerts plays, which struggling batter sits?

Yes, it could be argued that Drew’s glove is more important to the defense than what Middlebrooks provides at the hot corner, or that it's beneficial that Drew has some familiarity with Sanchez (batting .227 with a .626 OPS and 3 RBI in 22 career at-bats) while Middlebrooks is hitless in just two opportunities.

But Middlebrooks, unlike Drew, provides the potential for power (a home run every 19.8 at-bats vs. righties this year) in an offense that may finally be starting to click after it amassed a dozen hits the last time out. He’s also having a slightly better postseason with a .174 average and .530 OPS, not that those are numbers to brag about.

Ultimately, giving Bogaerts a shot, sitting Drew, and hoping Middlebrooks can find his way out of his funk makes the most sense.

Will Farrell view it the same way, or remain loyal to his veteran?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I don't think Drew is a great glove at SS -- he's about average.

With him, you know what you'll get at bat -- pretty much nothing.  The problem with both Drews was and is the fact that they want to pull everything, so they're both famous for hooked grounders to second base.  Difference is that in the post season S. Drew is a strikeout machine.  Whenever JD or S. go to left or up the middle, their hitting always returned.  I just don't think they're smart enough or willing to work hard enough to adapt.

With Middy you don't know -- he could break out and give you some quality at bats.  I'd take my chances on that happening before Drew does anything.

But that said, Farrell for some resason has been in love with Drew all year and given him priority as the starting SS.

I'd like to see Drew sit, but I'm betting it will be Middy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

From Sports writer on Globe:

Yes, it could be argued that Drew’s glove is more important to the defense than what Middlebrooks provides at the hot corner, or that it's beneficial that Drew has some familiarity with Sanchez (batting .227 with a .626 OPS and 3 RBI in 22 career at-bats) while Middlebrooks is hitless in just two opportunities.

But Middlebrooks, unlike Drew, provides the potential for power (a home run every 19.8 at-bats vs. righties this year) in an offense that may finally be starting to click after it amassed a dozen hits the last time out. He’s also having a slightly better postseason with a .174 average and .530 OPS, not that those are numbers to brag about.

The splits against righties this year are exactly why Drew should start over WMB.

Drew 284/377/498 - 876 OPS

WMB 206/244/412 - 656 OPS

Not even close.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

21 to 6? Jeepers. 

Middy also had the leadoff hit in the 8th in Game 2. Also postseason combined, Middy is at .174 with a .510 OPS, Drew is .107 with a .317 OPS.  Check the stats and see who's been the worst hitter (60 points worse than anyone) on the entire roster (outside of Carp and his 6 AB's).

What it tells me is that Drew is ending a lot of innings (and by extension, Middlebrooks is leading off more than he should).

Which one sits is not going to make or break this series.  If Victorino, Pedroia and Ortiz don't start hitting, rearranging the deck chairs at the bottom of the line-up isn't going to matter.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

No mater what day tomorrow is he should sit one and see what happens. way too many bingos, r there 2 Bills?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Consensus seems to be Bogaerts in for Middlebrooks.  I think that's what's going to happen too.

Middlebrooks has the single biggest hit in the entire series! His double in the 8th is what started the "miracle" comeback. 

Middlebrooks is dangerous on the pop front, each time he steps up. You don't sit a guy who's played solid defense at 3rd and has the biggest hit in this seris and has the most homer potential per AB than anyone except, maybe, Ortiz. 

You lunatics need to put down management propaganda. 

No question, case closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bogaerts to SS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew pinch hitter to bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy lord.....I can't believe I'm agreeing with Softy twice in 1 day.  I have been one of Drew's biggest supporters all year and would even consider re-signing him in the offseason....but I REALLY think Bogaerts needs to play SS right now.  I think Drew is about as steady a defender that we have in the infield but at this point we need offense....and in a big way.  WMB is VERY capable for turning it around and changing the game with one swing of the bat.....Drew is simply not performing at the plate right now. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Middlebrooks 2013 season: 17 HR in 348 AB's  ALCS  1 2B 1 Run .330 OPS

S. Drew 2013 season: 13 HR in 442 AB's  ALCS  0 Extra base hits 0 Runs .220 OPS

Bogaerts ALCS  1 2B 1 Run 1.500 OPS

Case close, Middlebrooks starts at 3rd, Bogaerts at SS, S. Drew to the bench as pinch hitter.

Agreed.....I'll be shocked though if JF sits Drew though.  His defense at a premium fielding position is very solid and the old saying goes 'Pitching and defense wins in the postseason'.  I hope I'm wrong though and WMB does play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I won't be surprised if WMB sits tonight and Drew sits the next game.  Farrell might use the '3 guys for 2 spots' he used a lot this season.  The rest depends on who hits. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Consensus seems to be Bogaerts in for Middlebrooks.  I think that's what's going to happen too.

Middlebrooks has the single biggest hit in the entire series! His double in the 8th is what started the "miracle" comeback. 

Middlebrooks is dangerous on the pop front, each time he steps up. You don't sit a guy who's played solid defense at 3rd and has the biggest hit in this seris and has the most homer potential per AB than anyone except, maybe, Ortiz. 

You lunatics need to put down management propaganda. 

No question, case closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bogaerts to SS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew pinch hitter to bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Everyone here wants to keep Drew in because of his fielding. Are you watching the games? He has no pop. 

Sections
Shortcuts