Are we Doooooomed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Are we Doooooomed?

Aren't we?  I mean we are discussing taking our only two good relievers and putting them into the rotation. We have just replaced one straw bat with another at catcher. We have a problem here.

RF and SS do not concern me as I am all for going young there, but pitching is a bit of a concern. Is it not?

We must have 1-2 starters, all*star experience unnecessary. We must decide on a closer and then still ad another 3 middle relievers.

I am excited to have Valentine.

I am grateful Tek is gone though how Shoppach is an upgrade fails to find me.

Is this it? There has to be a trade out there. That makes more questions than answers as Youk, Beckett, and Elles are the only significant trade chips I see. Prospects we have Lavarnway and Lars who may bring something.  Any trade opens a hole though.

In close, it does comfort me that the Yankees are not making many changes as of yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Are we Doooooomed?

Trade is the way to improve construction, not expensive FA.

If Valentine can get proper work ethic from Epstein books, Cherry make the right trade moves, this team will be a contender. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

The Sox have already decided that they aren't going to attempt to be competitive this coming year.  This is a transition year where they will just trot  out the same losers as last year. They are a third or fourth place team in the East at this point and worse if they get hit with the injury bug.  My  rationale for this statement is:

1.  Even after the euphoria over the Gonzalez and Crawford acquisitions last year we still, in my opinion, did not have enough pitching (bullpen or starters) to get us where we wanted to be.  Our bench was too light-weight and could not be counted on to provide any home-run punch when needed.

2.  RF and SS were a problem at the start of the year and continued to be problems throughout the year

3.  The line-up, even had Crawford performed as expected, was light-weight at the bottom (SS and Catcher, RF).  Saltalamacchia was a pleasant, but unexpected bonus at the plate though.

My point is that the Red Sox had holes in their line-up last year that the addition of Crawford and Gonzalez were theoretically there to cover-up.  Gonzalez did his part (minus the HRs) while Crawford did not.  Those holes are still there and now we have added even more holes (2 SP, 1 Closer, 3 Relievers + the holes from 2010 RF/SS/bench players with power). The Sox have already admitted that they are going to make any kind of splashes this off-season which means that they aren't interested in being competitive.  I see them as 80-85 win team at best if they stay the course of not aggresively addressing their main needs (2 SP and Bullpen). I for one would not move Bard and Aceves to the rotation. Stabilize the bullpen with these guys and go out and obtain 3 or 4 SP and hope that 2 of them can perform to an acceptable level. SS and RF are not as high of priorities at this point.  Scutaro and Kalish/Mcdonald/X can man RF for a season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

3 or 4 SP are a very expensive crap shoot that has failed in Fa market. Red Sox had one of best 3 pen arm team in MLB. But without solid starting pitching from at least 3 slots, it won't cut it. Bard and Aceves provide more value to start, whle adding pen arms is much better value than FA starters. 

Team will win more than 85, and I'll guarantee it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I don't think that the RS are doomed.  I am instead holding on to the hope that a change in the atmosphere fixes at least a couple of things.  1) Approach to the game from all players and coaches and 2) Players that give a damn.  I just keep thinking that if the RS could have figured out a better way to start the season and a better way to finish the season that it would have been 1 hell of a year.  We lost a couple of players but Epstein had fallen into the trying to spend dollar for dollar with NY trap.  Yea the RS have to go young but I think that Bobby V. will be able to get more out of them than Tito.  I don't think that the RS are doomed, but I to think that the players have to stay engaged and do their jobs.  If that happens I think everything will work out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yes, you are doomed and I fear Fenway will be the epi-center of the worlds end on 12/21/12.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

If being somewhat competitive and finishing no better than third in ALE is doomed, then yes. It looks like the FO is essentially going to run with last year's roster for 2012, with similar results, then try for some improvements in 2013. I have no real problem with that. We need to see how Lavarnway, Kalish, Reddick play, how Bard and Aceves perform as starters over a full season, then make some moves. We will also see if Bobby V. can fix the clubhouse issues, determine who really is an unfixable problem, get rid of them and move on. I am simply going into 2012 with very low expectations. Having said that, you never know in baseball what might happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

In Response to Re: Are we Doooooomed?:
    [QUOTE]The Sox have already decided that they aren't going to attempt to be competitive this coming year.  This is a transition year where they will just trot  out the same losers as last year. They are a third or fourth place team in the East at this point and worse if they get hit with the injury bug.  My  rationale for this statement is: 1.  Even after the euphoria over the Gonzalez and Crawford acquisitions last year we still, in my opinion, did not have enough pitching (bullpen or starters) to get us where we wanted to be.  Our bench was too light-weight and could not be counted on to provide any home-run punch when needed. 2.  RF and SS were a problem at the start of the year and continued to be problems throughout the year 3.  The line-up, even had Crawford performed as expected, was light-weight at the bottom (SS and Catcher, RF).  Saltalamacchia was a pleasant, but unexpected bonus at the plate though. My point is that the Red Sox had holes in their line-up last year that the addition of Crawford and Gonzalez were theoretically there to cover-up.  Gonzalez did his part (minus the HRs) while Crawford did not.  Those holes are still there and now we have added even more holes (2 SP, 1 Closer, 3 Relievers + the holes from 2010 RF/SS/bench players with power). The Sox have already admitted that they are going to make any kind of splashes this off-season which means that they aren't interested in being competitive.  I see them as 80-85 win team at best if they stay the course of not aggresively addressing their main needs (2 SP and Bullpen). I for one would not move Bard and Aceves to the rotation. Stabilize the bullpen with these guys and go out and obtain 3 or 4 SP and hope that 2 of them can perform to an acceptable level. SS and RF are not as high of priorities at this point.  Scutaro and Kalish/Mcdonald/X can man RF for a season. 
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? You guys are something else. Scutaro batted .299 last year. He's not a great defender but he's about league average which is fine me. The sox were #1 in runs scored last year. That = the best offense in baseball. We can afford to have a couple of weak spots in the lineup with the mashers we have. Shoppy is a great addition. He gives the sox something they have been missing for years and that is defense behind the plate. He's threw out 41% of baserunners last year. You rather see Tek behind the plate who doesnt even bother throwing the ball to second anymore? I'll agree with you on no Bard in the rotation. They need to sign both Gio and Bailey from the A's. 

Last year with all the expectations going into the season I knew this team was doomed. This year everyone thinks the team is going to stink so we should be ok.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThunderCat2010. Show ThunderCat2010's posts

YES!!! We are DOOOOOOMED!!! 2012 The Red Sox are EVIL!!!! We hate the Red Sox for LIFE!!! Big Papi loves steriods!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SculEsqare. Show SculEsqare's posts

Doooooomed; "sure to be a complete failure or disaster",  that's sounds about right!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Don't be surprised if we land Darvish. If not, there are still some pretty good options in Kuroda or Oswalt, but BC needs to get off his thumbs, the list is growing shorter by the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

CAN'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY WE NEED SHOPPACH IF
    WE HAVE LAVARNWAY. WE LET HIM PLAY LAST SEASON AND
    HE ACHIEVED A BIT OF SUCCESS AND HE HAS A GOOD BAT.
    WHY ARE WE STICKING HIM IN A "CONVENT". FOR CRYING
    OUT LOUD, THE YANKS LET MONTERO PLAY AND HE DID WELL.'
    WHAT ARE THE SOX AFRAID OF...THAT LAVARNWAY MIGHT
    SUCCEED ??? AS OTHER POSTERS HAVE NOTED, WE STILL
    HAVE A WEAK BOTTOM OF THE LINEUP. RF FIELD IS STILL
    WEAK, OFFENSIVELY. CATCHING IS A NO HIT POSITION.
    DON'T EXPECT YOUKILIS TO REBOUND, AND SCUTARO MAY
    REVERT TO .250. ELLS, PEDEY, AGON, PAPI, AND CC, MAY
    HIT, BUT AFTER THAT WE ARE A DISASTER.
    WE NEED A GUY LIKE QUENTIN OR WILLINGHAM IN THE
    OF, PREFERABLY QUENTIN. AND....TO REPEAT WHAT THE
    POSTERS SAID...WE DO NEED DARVISH. IF WE DON'T GET
    HIM THE YANKEES FOR CERTAIN WILL GET HIM. THE YANKS
    MAY ALSO GET KING FELIX....IT DEPENDS A LOT ON
    WHETHER THE MARINERS LAND FIELDER. IF THEY DO, I THINK
    THEY KEEP FELIX TO BUILD ON. OUR PITCHING IS NOT AS
    GOOD AS WE THINK IT IS. BECKETT IS ON THE DECLINE, AND
    I DON'T LIKE WHAT I SAW FROM LESTER IN BIG GAMES LAST
    YEAR. WHO KNOWS IF BUCHHOLZ WILL REBOUND. THAT'S
    WHY WE NEED A YOUNG GUN LIKE DARVISH. I DON'T TRUST
    ANDREW MILLER AS FAR AS I CAN THROW HIM. AND THE SAME
    GOES FOR WEILAND. WHY ARE THESE AAA GUYS EVEN IN THE
    BIG LEAGUES. ? VALENTINE HAS A HANDFUL OF HEADACHES
    FACING HIM !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Other than Valentine and some good luck having Lackey on the shelf what else has happened to bring encouragment? Not much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Are we Doooooomed?:
    [QUOTE]Aren't we?  I mean we are discussing taking our only two good relievers and putting them into the rotation. We have just replaced one straw bat with another at catcher. We have a problem here. RF and SS do not concern me as I am all for going young there, but pitching is a bit of a concern. Is it not? We must have 1-2 starters, all*star experience unnecessary. We must decide on a closer and then still ad another 3 middle relievers. I am excited to have Valentine. I am grateful Tek is gone though how Shoppach is an upgrade fails to find me. Is this it? There has to be a trade out there. That makes more questions than answers as Youk, Beckett, and Elles are the only significant trade chips I see. Prospects we have Lavarnway and Lars who may bring something.  Any trade opens a hole though. In close, it does comfort me that the Yankees are not making many changes as of yet.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]IT'S LIKE MOVING DAVEY CROCKETT TO THE NORTH WALL OF THE ALAMO .....  THATS NOT WHERE BARD & ACEVES IS NEEDED !!!   AND LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER  !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol... Bill-806 that was a good analogy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes we were doooooomed. Right again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes we were doooooomed. Right again.

[/QUOTE]

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

tooooooo late

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think the Red Sox will win around 85 to 87 games and miss the playoffs (unless MLB suddenly decides to add a 3rd wild card berth  LOL).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts