Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?

I distain this topic...simply put the players play, the owners pay, we the fans fund the owners...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?

Great post, Zil. We'd all be better off if everyone's salary was confidential, as it should be. But then, what would all the "adults' have to gripe about?

For me, I try to keep the same approach as when I was younger. I focus on the games and the stats and try to get enjoyment out of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan? : Wouldn't you say Pedroia's contract was a give-and-take deal though...he will probably end up with less money than if he went the Papelbon route, but in return he got security that he wouldn't have had.  Same with Youkilis, Lester and Buchholz's deals. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Pedey definitly gave up a few bucks Hfx, but realized that hes going to have 40million dollars and set up for life..Nothing wrong with not being greedy..I dont see it as give and take really..After all, it is 40 million..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure I could "enjoy" baseball if I took the mentality of many of our newer (bandwagon) Red Sox Nation fans. That we are supposed to win every game and win the World Series every year. When I was younger, it was enough for me to watch Yaz , George Scott, Rico, etc. play against Al Kaline, Sam McDowell , Jim McNally etc. and enjoy every inning of a Saturday afternoon ballgame. The games weren't all televised in those pre-cable (prehistoric?) times. We enjoyed watching the 2 or 3 games a week we got to see on T.V. Today's younger fans ( and us too) are spoiled by technology; media blitz (sports talk all day every day), having access to chat boards (like this one) and being able to see every game on T.V., computer or smartphones. In the "old" days we watched the game , chatted a little about it the next day, then went about our daily lives. Being a fan meant watching a few games , and listening to the rest on AM radio. No postgame show, no sportstalk analyzing every move, evry trade, every quote. We didn't know what Carl Yastrzemski was making, didn't care. The whole sports fan business has become media overkill. And it's killing the enjoyment of the game. We take it all way too seriously....it has become life and death since 2004. It's like a curse....and I don't believe in curses...but it's like one.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

As a kid, I'd spend 3 bucks for a bleacher viewpoint and take in the game.
    Last week, I went to a game and a show broke out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davescout. Show davescout's posts

In Response to Are we entitled based on a player's salary? Does it ruin your enjoyment as a fan?:
    [QUOTE]What gives Boston fans a license to have no patience with players? Do forum posters want to be first in line to go up to the top of the Forum Hill and shout out to us that Player X is having a poor April and should leave town immediately? In my book that is not how fans should act. Fans should never feel entitled that a player should be an immediate All Star if he is payed as such. That is feeling entitled and is selfish and juvenile. We are fans and not stockholders. If players live up to expectations then that is good but if they don't then who gave you a guarantee. A high payroll is no guarantee of success. If it was then wouldn't being a fan be boring. If payroll was a guarantee of success then we should all root for the Yankees if we desire guaranteed success. You buy a ticket or pay for cable for entertainment and you are not being guaranteed a win or a pennant. If looking at salaries distorts your enjoyment of being a fan then you need to forget about salaries. Do you compare the salaries of actors when you watch a good movie or TV show? Should a performance by House be ten times better than another actor casted in that show? Do we know if the Fat Lady in the Opera gets the top salary, do we care?    Should a trumpet player be higher paid more than the tuba player?                               
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

What gives Boston fans a license to have no patience with players?  Well we basicaly pay there salry so i think we are intitled to say what ever we want........P.S You put way to much thought into this........Life is short get out and enjoy it.....Sitting in front of a computer screen is not living man....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure I could "enjoy" baseball if I took the mentality of many of our newer (bandwagon) Red Sox Nation fans. That we are supposed to win every game and win the World Series every year. When I was younger, it was enough for me to watch Yaz , George Scott, Rico, etc. play against Al Kaline, Sam McDowell , Jim McNally etc. and enjoy every inning of a Saturday afternoon ballgame. The games weren't all televised in those pre-cable (prehistoric?) times. We enjoyed watching the 2 or 3 games a week we got to see on T.V. Today's younger fans ( and us too) are spoiled by technology; media blitz (sports talk all day every day), having access to chat boards (like this one) and being able to see every game on T.V., computer or smartphones. In the "old" days we watched the game , chatted a little about it the next day, then went about our daily lives. Being a fan meant watching a few games , and listening to the rest on AM radio. No postgame show, no sportstalk analyzing every move, evry trade, every quote. We didn't know what Carl Yastrzemski was making, didn't care. The whole sports fan business has become media overkill. And it's killing the enjoyment of the game. We take it all way too seriously....it has become life and death since 2004. It's like a curse....and I don't believe in curses...but it's like one.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Well said, ZILLA. And it is like a curse, a curse we have collectively brought on ourselves, not one that is somehow inflicted on us from some unknown source, which I don't believe in either. I for one did enjoy it more in the old days when the focus seemed to be less about winning, more about the art of the game. That's why I love watching Petey so much--he is "old school", just loves to play the game. (Excellent SI article on him to that effect last week.) Sure he wants to win as much as anybody, but you can tell just by watching him that what he cares about most is competing well, doing his best, trying to get the team to perform its best. And then when he goes ahead and stars, like last night, you get to enjoy it all the more--as in, couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd like to go on record that pawsoxdummy ruins my entertainment of the forum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

davescout says: "we pay their salary , so I think we are entitled to say whatever we want"

also says, "sitting in front of a computer screen is not living, man."

Well no and yes.

No , we are not "entitled to say whatever we want", you go to a restaurant, you (the customer pay the waitress and the cook's salary by eating there. You are not entitled to abuse them or swear at them. The reason you think that you can "say whatever we want is you are miles away from the person you are calling a "bust" (say Lackey , for example) and he is not close enough to knock you out.

and yes, "sitting in front of a computer screen is not living, man." , but yet you do it also , or else you would not be logged in to BDC, and you would not be reading this and responding to it. It is part of living for some of us, that is why we spend a few minutes here most days. I would not call that "sitting in front of a computer screen." There are many people who have jobs where they must sit a t a computer all day, I am not one of those, I use computers in my work, but not continously. I post often here, but am nowhere close to "living in front of a computer screen" , in fact I spend much less time than the majority of Americans at a desk with a PC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]jesus, if you think about it, Pedro was well underpaid.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about Pedro.  He was one of the best pitchers of the last decade. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m