Are we missing something

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Are we missing something

My understanding in the deal yesterday between A's and D'Backs, the A's nearly acquired Skaggs in that deal as well. Now I think Cahill is a decent pitcher about the same age as Clay and I think Clay is better and more experienced in big games. I am not positive about Cahill contract but I think they are pretty much in line with each other. What I wonder is should the Sox be looking at a deal like that where they can acquire a couple top-tier minor league arms? The D-Backs gave 2 top 15 arms in that deal. I bet the Tigers would consider moving Turner plus another prospect for Clay. I bet the Royals another team loaded with power arms at top of minor league charts would consider Clay for a couple of top prospects to have a little experience on the staff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Are we missing something

Well, if we all look at these players that Oakland got from Arizona.  It is like having Boston to give away Lar Anderson, Lowrie, Bowen, etc.  But I think the main reason that Oakland made a deal with Arizona so Oakland didnt want to make any of the American league team a stronger team.  So that was why Oakland just rather to make a trade to a NL team!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Cahill is about 4 years younger than Buchholz.  BUt we didn't have a pitching prospect as far along and as good as Parker.

Dealing Buchholz for 2 youner arms is a thought, but bear in mind moves like that are usually done by teams trying to rebuild, not compete.

Still if the Sox could do it, it might be a clever move.  Tricky, but clever...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Are we missing something:
    [QUOTE]Well, if we all look at these players that Oakland got from Arizona.  It is like having Boston to give away Lar Anderson, Lowrie, Bowen, etc.  But I think the main reason that Oakland made a deal with Arizona so Oakland didnt want to make any of the American league team a stronger team.  So that was why Oakland just rather to make a trade to a NL team!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I agree Uconn, Clay is a keeper in my mind.  If anything Lackey needs to revover and get dealt along with Beckett if he can't keep his head on the game next season.  I like the Garza idea and Theo knows our farm well so its just a matter of getting their heads out of the sand and either agree or move on. 

If I were the Sox I would offer a few good prospects for Garza.  If the Cubs disagree, tell them discussions are over and let Theo sit out 2012 just to teach "Boy genius" he can't get over on the people who taught him everything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sox allowed Theo to walk without Comp.; our mistake--I would like to see Garza in a Sox uni instead of Beckett. I don't see it happening unless Theo signs Prince. Once he commits to him he has to go for Beckett and Ells.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Why would the Sox want to open up yet another hole in their rotation to get two or three good prospects who might help out in a year or two?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Well, if we all look at these players that Oakland got from Arizona.  It is like having Boston to give away Lar Anderson, Lowrie, Bowen, etc.  But I think the main reason that Oakland made a deal with Arizona so Oakland didnt want to make any of the American league team a stronger team.  So that was why Oakland just rather to make a trade to a NL team!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    Jarrod Parker, a 23-year-old righthander who entered the 2011 season as Baseball America's 33rd-ranked prospect, is worth far more alone than Lars Anderson, Jed Lowrie and Michael Bowden combined. Lowrie is a non-tender candidate approaching his first more expensive arbitration year and his 28th birthday in April. Anderson and Bowden are fallen former top prospects.

The Red Sox would have trouble rivaling the package Arizona put together for Trevor Cahill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we missing something : Jarrod Parker, a 23-year-old righthander who entered the 2011 season as Baseball America' s 33rd-ranked prospect, is worth far more alone than Lars Anderson, Jed Lowrie and Michael Bowden combined. Lowrie is a non-tender candidate approaching his first more expensive arbitration year and his 28th birthday in April. Anderson and Bowden are fallen former top prospects. The Red Sox would have trouble rivaling the package Arizona put together for Trevor Cahill.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    I didn't want the Sox to match the offer FOR Cahill. I am wondering if the Sox dangle Clay, who I consider better than Cahill, would that had been enough to get AZ to add in Skaggs. They could of had 2 top-15 Young flame throwing pitchers. While I hate the word re-build facts are the Sox will most likely not be the favorites to garner a playoff spot come April. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we missing something : I didn't want the Sox to match the offer FOR Cahill. I am wondering if the Sox dangle Clay, who I consider better than Cahill, would that had been enough to get AZ to add in Skaggs. They could of had 2 top-15 Young flame throwing pitchers. While I hate the word re-build facts are the Sox will most likely not be the favorites to garner a playoff spot come April. 
    Posted by Sully1965[/QUOTE]

They'll be a favorite to make the playoffs come April.  There is a propensity in here to take the temperature at a point in time, either favorable or unfavorable to us, depending on one's perspective, and assume the best or worst, while assuming nothing else changes.

At the beginning of December last year, everyone in here was bemoaining our fate, because management was too cheap to put a good team on the field.

A few hours later, we signed CC and traded for Gonzo, and the same people that wrote us off were ordering 2011 WSC sweatshirts.

We have 3 big holes, surrounded by a huge amount amount of talent.  We will fill those holes just like we do every year, and once again be the favorites to make the playoffs.  After that, the fates and the gods of BB take over.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great post Joe, but I am not sure about your ending...

We have 3 big holes, surrounded by a huge amount amount of talent.  We will fill those holes just like we do every year, and once again be the favorites to make the playoffs.  After that, the fates and the gods of BB take over.

I think at most, we might spend big on filling one of the 3-4 "big slots" we need to fill. If I had to guess, it would be on a closer as Bard and Aceves appear to be changing roles.

The others will be filled by gamble signings or kids. I guess this doesn't "go away" from our past method too much, but it has been a while since we negelcted our pen so much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Great post Joe, but I am not sure about your ending... We have 3 big holes, surrounded by a huge amount amount of talent.  We will fill those holes just like we do every year, and once again be the favorites to make the playoffs.  After that, the fates and the gods of BB take over. I think at most, we might spend big on filling one of the 3-4 "big slots" we need to fill. If I had to guess, it would be on a closer as Bard and Aceves appear to be changing roles. The others will be filled by gamble signings or kids. I guess this doesn't "go away" from our past method too much, but it has been a while since we negelcted our pen so much.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant by filling holes.  None of know how they will be filled.  We still have some money and some non-necessary prospects.  I think the worst that happens, at a really small cost, is Bard and Aceves become starter and closer respectively, either way, we obtain a dependable #5, platoon Reddck and DMac, and add a couple of BP arms.  And that's probably worst case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't like DMac in RF, but we'll probably have to settle on him out there vs LHPs, unless Reddick keeps showing he can hit lefties.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]Sox allowed Theo to walk without Comp.; our mistake--I would like to see Garza in a Sox uni instead of Beckett. I don't see it happening unless Theo signs Prince. Once he commits to him he has to go for Beckett and Ells.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you would rather have had the Sox keep Theo than let him go and get no compensation???????