Are we really that broken?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Are we really that broken?

Injuries are killing us along with a real lack of depth but we are very capable of shoring up this team by trade deadline. I have put my questions in red as those are the areas I would like to hear about options that are out there

C - Saltalamacchia/Varitek platoon is working out fine - not a big hole compaired to other teams

1B - Gonzalez - MVP

2B - Pedroia - fine

SS - Lowrie/Scutaro - a month ago I was convinced Lowrie had plugged this hole but injury has killed that position is batting .270 5 38 - could be worse but where is there a real fix out there?  Reyes - sure but too costly?

3B - Youkilis - fine

LF - Crawford - hopefully hamstring inj doesn't keep popping up - why we need more than just Reddick as our back up OF

CF - Ellsbury - will cost us some money this off season to lock him up

RF- Drew - this is a huge hole - Drew/Cameron/McDonald are killing us - when Crawford comes back Reddick should be everyday RF - send McDonald back down as he has options - cut Cameron, and use Drew as a $14M reserve.

Possible Trade candidates:
    Ryan Ludwick - SD .254 9 47 - they have most of our prospects already and is he a 1/2 year rental or do we sign him long term? 
    Laynce Nix - WAS .276 11 29 - agian team is 8.5 games out.
    Josh Willingham - Oak .231 10 42 - nice power and RBIs but average is no there this one would truely be a loaner (i believe)
    Jeff Francoeur - KC .254 10 46 - better average than above but so inconsistent.
    Also those 4 are some of the better FA this coming year to fill that OF opening - unless we finally commit to Kalish or Reddick.

Our pitching is in far more distress -
    1. Beckett - solid Cy Young form
    2. Lester - nice win total but control not like in past years - still solid
    3. Buckholz - back issue scares me - can be recurring
    4. John Lackey - i'd say right now bigger bust than DiceK - this is the biggest hole on the team - I dont know how to fix (well i do but my idea can't be done) - besides who is really out there? or do we need to bring someone up and who?
    5. Andrew Miller - this guy should be our 5th right now - seems like best option

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Are we really that broken?

SS - Lowrie/Scutaro - a month ago I was convinced Lowrie had plugged this hole but injury has killed that position is batting .270 5 38 - could be worse but where is there a real fix out there?  Reyes - sure but too costly?

Yes, he's too costly.  When Lowrie comes back, he should get a chance to prove that his struggles were injury related.  If he doesn't take the job, Navarro is next in line to get the call.

RF- Drew - this is a huge hole - Drew/Cameron/McDonald are killing us - when Crawford comes back Reddick should be everyday RF - send McDonald back down as he has options - cut Cameron, and use Drew as a $14M reserve.

I agree for the most part.  McDonald hasn't had any options since 2007, so he can't simply be optioned down, although I'm not too concerned about another team claiming him on waivers.  DFA Cam and assign Drew to back up duty.  McDonald can play all 3 OF spots as can Reddick.

Possible Trade candidates:

No.  Short term rentals are bad business.  Especially when our needs match up with what we have in house.

John Lackey - i'd say right now bigger bust than DiceK - this is the biggest hole on the team - I dont know how to fix (well i do but my idea can't be done) - besides who is really out there? or do we need to bring someone up and who?

IMO we should send Lackey to the Pen when Buch comes back.  Even if Lackey were to return to his 2010 form, that isn't a significant upgrade over Wake's 4.50 ERA and 1.20 WHIP as a starter this season with just under 6 1/3 IP per start.  Lackey's peripherals suggest his ERA should be about 5.0 (a whopping 2.28 below his current ERA).  I doubt this will happen because of the money involved, but if I had it my way, this is how it would go.

1 guy to keep an eye out for other than the usual suspects is Kyle Weiland.  He was believed to be destined for a bullpen role (potential late inning reliever), but he has continued to succeed as a starter with a 3.33 and 1.26 WHIP in 78 1/3 AAA innings this year (he would need to be added to the 40 man roster). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not broken in my judgment.  Just bad timing to go on a daunting road trip with weak hitting and suspect pitching--exacerbated by Ortiz sitting, Crawford and Buchholz on the DL.   

My fix for SS would be Navarro at Pawtucket.  My fix for RF would be Reddick, who has hit well this time up at the big club. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Pedroia is on pace for 30 sb's... more than Crawford and with a higher success rate than Elles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not sure why Scutaro doesn't get more respect at SS. Last year, he toughed it out and played through an injury -- isn't that something we btch about with Drew -- and was still productive. He should be a fan favorite but so many are quick to throw him under the bus.

This year, he's batting .276 so he's a more proven option offensively than Navarro. Lowrie and Scutaro are a combined .272 with 5 HR and 38 RBIs. That decent production for SS. I think that combination will be fine for the rest of the season.

Neither are going to win any Gold Gloves at SS, but they're adequate -- not great but they're not going to kill you.

Navarro is unproven as a hitter so I wouldn't be so quick to shove him in at SS right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

max has it right, IMO. A four-game slump is no reason to push the panic button.

Yanks only ahead by 1/2 a game, though ahead by a full game in the loss column. Going into the  AS Break, this is good. Could be worse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Don't think im talking in a panic mode - just saying our short comings right now are: RF (wanting to put a better player insted of Drew/Cameron), SP wanting insurance againt injury and Lacky not being able to get it together, and Bench not counting on  a McDonald type player isnt panicing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Are we really that broken?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure why Scutaro doesn't get more respect at SS. Last year, he toughed it out and played through an injury -- isn't that something we btch about with Drew -- and was still productive. He should be a fan favorite but so many are quick to throw him under the bus. This year, he's batting .276 so he's a more proven option offensively than Navarro. Lowrie and Scutaro are a combined .272 with 5 HR and 38 RBIs. That decent production for SS. I think that combination will be fine for the rest of the season. Neither are going to win any Gold Gloves at SS, but they're adequate -- not great but they're not going to kill you. Navarro is unproven as a hitter so I wouldn't be so quick to shove him in at SS right now.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the reason Scutaro isn't a viable option at SS is because of his injury last year.  He (much like Lowrie) is a liability in the field.  He can't throw anyone out while ranging to the 3B side and struggles making throws on double plays.

Navarro on the other hand is not a liability in the field and has the potential for an above average MLB bat.  I don't have anything against what Scut has done offensively, but it hasn't been enough to overlook his defensive short comings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Looking into a vacumn, yes the Sox have many needs but teams across the board have even greater needs, take the Yanks our biggest thteat at this moment...Colon their number two starter, bullpen in bigger shambles, what to do with Jeter at ss, no really viable DH, etc.
       I would look to improve front end of bullpen a LH is a necessity moving forward, then pick up a RH bat for the outfield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]  Looking into a vacumn, yes the Sox have many needs but teams across the board have even greater needs, take the Yanks our biggest thteat at this moment...Colon their number two starter, bullpen in bigger shambles, what to do with Jeter at ss, no really viable DH, etc.    I would look to improve front end of bullpen a LH is a necessity moving forward, then pick up a RH bat for the outfield.

Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Colon their number two starter

Meanwhile he has a better ERA and WHIP than the sawx #2 starter.

bullpen in bigger shambles

Despite the fact that they have the second lowest BP ERA in the AL

what to do with Jeter at ss

Ummm...put him at ss?

no really viable DH

Ummm...Posada hit .393 in June

Think much before you post?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

First of all, I prefer not to use the plural personal pronoun "we" because I don't have any ownership in the Red Sox organization nor am I an employee.  I doubt that any of "you" do or are as well.

Now, as far as this "broken" claim is concerned, it's mostly panic stricken overreaction to the poor baseball the Red Sox have been playing with a somewhat depleted team.  While there are matters that need to be addressed in rightfield and at shortstop (rightfield more than shortstop), the main issue is and always will be pitching, which is the biggest determinant of which teams make it into playoffs and beyond.  For the long haul this season, I feel good about their chances because there seems to be many possibilities for a strong staff and bullpen to come together once this surplus is sorted out.  While the games still of course count, every player that has the potential for helping this team needs work, needs to work out some kinks, and needs to be given the opportunity to make their case that they belong with a role to play on a championship team.  Others that will carry this team (Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Papelbon) need to be paced for the long grind of the season and playoffs.

The notion that they're broken is absurd.  It's just part of the ebb and flow of a long season along with challenging competition in the Yankees and Rays that they they must contend with.  It should be enjoyed and appreciated that the Red Sox have a team that we (as fans, of course) can expect to see excel much of the time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why Scutaro doesn't get more respect at SS. Last year, he toughed it out and played through an injury -- isn't that something we btch about with Drew -- and was still productive. He should be a fan favorite but so many are quick to throw him under the bus. This year, he's batting .276 so he's a more proven option offensively than Navarro. Lowrie and Scutaro are a combined .272 with 5 HR and 38 RBIs. That decent production for SS. I think that combination will be fine for the rest of the season. Neither are going to win any Gold Gloves at SS, but they're adequate -- not great but they're not going to kill you. Navarro is unproven as a hitter so I wouldn't be so quick to shove him in at SS right now.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you why, Roy. Scutaro is the weak infield link. He chokes down in the field in critical situations. His instincts suk. His arm is erratic.

Many of his multi-hit games have come in blowouts. His BA isn't reflective of the many rallies he's killed. He has a career .336 OBP - about the same in Boston.
    Only once in his career has it been over .350.
    You'd think it'd be better considering his limitations in the field.

I'd go for Navarro over him in a heartbeat - and this w/o seeing Navarro this year. He showed more range and a gun for an arm last year. This team needs a SS with w/excellent range. The offense lacking at this position can easily be made up for elsewhere, especially if/when Reddick or whoever fills the RF hole.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Scutaro's good at "working the count". That's why they got him (plus he had a good yr in '09, as you said). He may have single handedly derailed Hughes last yr with a 13 pitch AB I don't think he ever recovered from. However, he didn't look good in the field on Sunday; actually, the whole left side of the INF is a problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Thank you, Duffie, for your 69 posts in three years. All your posts pretty much sound the same, and FTR they're usually just threads. Aliases are hilarious.

BTW, love the "we" in your headline. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Scutaro's good at "working the count". That's why they got him (plus he had a good yr in '09, as you said). He may have single handedly derailed Hughes last yr with a 13 pitch AB I don't think he ever recovered from. However, he didn't look good in the field on Sunday; actually, the whole left side of the INF is a problem.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

So does Tek, but that alone isn't worth over 6 mil a year. Tito played him into the ground last year. That didn't do Scut or the team any favors. Would you want Scutaro on your team?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I

knew they

would be back.

I hate it when I'm right about pessimists/realists.

For a solid 5 weeks the worst they could say was, "Oh yeah?  I told you we wouldn't win 10 straight."

But four losses, some injuries and Papi on the bench and all of a sudden, we're that team in "Major League" ...

Come on ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

wow some of you are really worried about how many posts i have - yeah focus on that.  Then some of you think the I think this team is awful because they  lost 4 in a row - all this thread was doing was pointing out some weaknesses and trying to see if there where better options out there or even down on the farm.  Even the title makes the questions if we are broken - find another term if dont like that one.

But if some of you are saying we are fine why freak out over 4 losses in a row - and not to worry about the
    1) SS position even though both have been out because of injuries, 
    2) pitching staff is fine - regardless of Dk's departure, Lackey's 7+ era, or Buckholtz's back issue
    3) RF is cool with Drew/Cameron/McDonald out there

Are you guys telling me that these areas shouldn't be addressed and WE should not worry about trying to improve these areas during the season?

Cuz if you are - i don't care if you have 15,000 posts here you're being dense

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Also my trade options weren't like others ive seen by people with hundreds of posts -

trade Dice K and Lowerie for Cliff Lee
    Scutaro and Kalish for Ryan Braun

Maybe not exact trades but i have seen some doosies

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

hey maybe if i just keep puting up useless posts like this one i will be taken seriously becuas ei post a lot - here is number 72

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It'll be interesting to see which of those right-handed outfield bats they go after.  I would think Theo would love to get Willingham but the price might be a little steep.  Remember how the Yankees picked up not one but two bats at the deadline last year...Berkman and Kearns...neither of which did that much but it does show that there will be some guys available.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1861. Show 1861's posts

John Lackey - this is the weak link in the rotation, don't think management will send a guy making that kind of money to the bull pen.  Likely keep running him out there hoping he can work his way out of it 9doubt it). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Duffie

Not knocking your limited number of posts.  Ya gotta start somewhere.  If I misread you, apologies.  Sure there are needs, it's just that you timed your post in a window that our negative minded brethren used, too.

The funny or ironic thing is I surely see the needs and do feel the losses, but I just don't use it as a lauching pad to cut down players or the team.

Again, you may not be doing that, but believe me, the darker minded - or in their outlook - the "realists" are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevotedRSgirl. Show DevotedRSgirl's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you, Duffie, for your 69 posts in three years. All your posts pretty much sound the same, and FTR they're usually just threads. Aliases are hilarious. BTW, love the "we" in your headline. LOL
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

What are you, the post police?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  Thanks Roy.  You rescued the forum again with logic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we really that broken? : What are you, the post police?
    Posted by DevotedRSgirl[/QUOTE]

I know, lovely way to talk to another poster, isn't it.

Sections
Shortcuts