Are You Sure You Don't Want Varitek Back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Are You Sure You Don't Want Varitek Back?

In Response to Re: Are You Sure You Don't Want Varitek Back?:
    [QUOTE]Let it be known that it was I, not Katz, who said to sign Hernandez as a FA. I notice September somehow isn't part of the bring Varitek back narrative. Varitek is a joke, as is Wastefield.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

So, because you said it, that now means Katz no longer has any input in the subject? Or is it who got to the cookie jar first . Is that how it works?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

God, you make it so easy, so predictable.  Mission accomplished.  I've had my fun.  I'll be back in 2014 if I feel like it.  I have a life to live, not post 20,000x to this forum.

Lighten up dude.  It's only BB --- shouldn't it be fun?  Too much anger and bitterness goin' on.  Life is too short to live with so much hate.  Live and love man.

Here's a youtube video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMj7UcjPZ0U

Buh-bye!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Always liked her. Nice video. Loosen up? I probably cut up as much as anybody else on this board. Hate? Not hardly. My issues are with blind bashers, who only state what supports their position. UR anti-Tek rants aka "UR fun" constitute most of your posts.

No need to run Mikey. Let the folks unfamiliar with you see you over time.
    Here's a hint, when ya come back in 2014, try discussing other players. Not just the target of your dartboard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Let it be known that it was I, not Katz, who said to sign Hernandez as a FA. I notice September somehow isn't part of the bring Varitek back narrative. Varitek is a joke, as is Wastefield.

Wakefield needs to be kept around, for depth reasons; Varitek should be kept because, well, he's Varitek, and he's still got a little baseball left in him. He should probably be a player-coach at this point. Both have a couple of yrs left as limited pieces.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Yankee fans would love nothing better than to see two 40 plus losers like Varitek and Wakefield. A smart gm would try to get the Yankees to play these two losers if the Red Sox will pay 75% of the bill.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yankee fans would love nothing better than to see two 40 plus losers like Varitek and Wakefield. A smart gm would try to get the Yankees to play these two losers if the Red Sox will pay 75% of the bill.

Steve called it true.
    You, OTOH, are a product of your post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Trust me, no way the Yankees waste a roster spot on these two 40 plus losers, even if the Red Sox paid the entire bill!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How old is MO? Age is as relevant to contribution as win totals are to positional standing.  When do you think the Rays will go away...again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

91 Wins in light of all-time September collapse is going away. Tough loss for great Rays tonight.

Since when have losers Wastefield and Varitek performed like MO...................Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

The Rays NEVER went away...that's why they made the playoffs Softy. 91 wins in the best division in baseball means you are a solid team. The Sox collapse also shows that games in April are of THE EXACT SAME IMPORTANCE as games in September. If the Sox started 10-2 instead of 2-10, they wouldn't have been in this position. The Rays not only din't go away, they overtook the collapsing Sox by playing good baseball during THE HARDEST PART OF THEIR SCHEDULE. They did not go away ... they EARNED their playoff spot. Maybe, if you actually knew smething about baseball, you would understand this fact, instead you can go back to pondering the "reverse pivot" NONSENSE that you like to spout, and talk about how it is more important to sign 35 (37?) yr old Ortiz, instead of Ellsbury the AL MVP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays NEVER went away...that's why they made the playoffs Softy. 91 wins in the best division in baseball means you are a solid team. The Sox collapse also shows that games in April are of THE EXACT SAME IMPORTANCE as games in September. If the Sox started 10-2 instead of 2-10, they wouldn't have been in this position. The Rays not only din't go away, they overtook the collapsing Sox by playing good baseball during THE HARDEST PART OF THEIR SCHEDULE. They did not go away ... they EARNED their playoff spot. Maybe, if you actually knew smething about baseball, you would understand this fact, instead you can go back to pondering the "reverse pivot" NONSENSE that you like to spout, and talk about how it is more important to sign 35 (37?) yr old Ortiz, instead of Ellsbury the AL MVP.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

Here's guessing you're new to this game; this argument has been going on here, for yrs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

. 91 wins in the best division in baseball means you are a solid team

No it doesn't, and AL East boasting is hyperbole. Red Sox collapse was why Rays are backed in, and playing AAA Yankees in final 3 games, after losing 3 out of 4 to Yankees when it counted to Yankees, is hardly playing best baseball in "hardest part of schedule".

Ellsbury is a loser who isn't even team MVP. Granderson and Verlander are just a little bit more of an MVP than a guy who didn't get it done in crabtown.

Ortiz is year to year contract. Ellsbury wants a long term mega contract off of one career year. See Crawford.

athens is not new. He is the alter ego of another poster who doesn't want to use his good cop moniker. They are both idiots;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]. 91 wins in the best division in baseball means you are a solid team No it doesn't, and AL East boasting is hyperbole. Red Sox collapse was why Rays are backed in, and playing AAA Yankees in final 3 games, after losing 3 out of 4 to Yankees when it counted to Yankees, is hardly playing best baseball in "hardest part of schedule". Ellsbury is a loser who isn't even team MVP. Granderson and Verlander are just a little bit more of an MVP than a guy who didn't get it done in crabtown. Ortiz is year to year contract. Ellsbury wants a long term mega contract off of one career year. See Crawford. athens is not new. He is the alter ego of another poster who doesn't want to use his good cop moniker. They are both idiots;)

Neither did alot of people; he was the only one providing heroics during the meltdown, for the most part; surrealistic & wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

athens is not new. He is the alter ego of another poster who doesn't want to use his good cop moniker. They are both idiots;)

Of course "Less" (your still spelling it wrong sweetie) now falls to the classic "you post under another name" argument....tell me "Less" what is my other handle?? I would love to know sugar!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If Tek were not a type B I'd probably find a way to keep him. I don't think he accepts arbitration and I don't think he's done. I'll take the pick.

Salty was a Texas reject before we got him. I think he has an acceptable RH swing but that severe uppercut LH swing scars me in terms of contact. My understanding is that he does hit better LH but I don't see how. 

Didn't Ramon have major problems in Baltimore a couple years ago. They ran him out of town effectively if I remember correctly. He wasn't liked all that much and it wasn't just the imminent catching stud coming up.

I am going from vague memory on the Baltimore isssue. Could be wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Realistically, Lavarnway has never even caught many games in the minors. Not even 50 usually. No way he is ready for a full time catching grind. And neither is Tek or Salty either apparently. In today's mlb world, you really need 3 catchers. ( EDIT: That 3rd catcher is usually setting in AAA ). As a part time DH, Lavarnway could really help this team and phase in to the starting catcher role over time. Save us money and allow us to get 2 picks from Ortiz probably.

We are rolling the dice with Lavarnway. He could start the season catching in AAA ball. Get his bat warmed up. Keep him from being a "super 2" and give him more catching development time. But would we expect better perfomance from Salty or Tek at the mlb level? I don't think so. I like Lavarnway starting the year with the big club in part because our alternatives just are not that good. I'd probably go with Salty and Lavarnway and split the PT about even. Take the pick with Tek if possible. If he takes arb we can't trade TEK without his approval but we can release him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've been for keeping Wakefield as cheap starter depth up until about a month ago. He wears the catchers down and everyone else as well, including us. Even Francona had trouble watching him. He's got to go. I don't see Tek, Wakefield, McDonald or Lowrie coming back. Probably not Paps or Ortiz coming back either IMO but of course I wouldn't mind if either did as they are good players. 

I think that like TB, the Angels and other teams, we need to assiduously optimize those picks. In the post PED world ( we will get there eventually I think ), the value of young talent is enhanced. It's already happened to a large degree and if they go to blood tests it could happen even more. Drafting and developing good players is more important now than it was in the steroid era. Back then, big FA signings were more important.

If Theo is here they will optimize the picks. From reading between the lines, Theo didn't even want to bring back Ortiz last year but the FO made him do it. It will be interesting to see what happens with Theo and Ortiz.

Trey Hillman?  Can't go there. Why do these things pop up? He's tougher than Francona. It would seem that they could find someone better. I'm not one for any former Yankees managers either. Personally, I thought Francona should have gotten a lot more respect from around the league.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]. 91 wins in the best division in baseball means you are a solid team No it doesn't, and AL East boasting is hyperbole. Red Sox collapse was why Rays are backed in, and playing AAA Yankees in final 3 games, after losing 3 out of 4 to Yankees when it counted to Yankees, is hardly playing best baseball in "hardest part of schedule". Ellsbury is a loser who isn't even team MVP. Granderson and Verlander are just a little bit more of an MVP than a guy who didn't get it done in crabtown. Ortiz is year to year contract. Ellsbury wants a long term mega contract off of one career year. See Crawford. athens is not new. He is the alter ego of another poster who doesn't want to use his good cop moniker. They are both idiots;)

This must make the rest of the team "losers" since nobody else will
    even be team MVP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Vmart is still playing.  Should have kept him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Vmart is still playing.  Should have kept him.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

Team already has a DH.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are You Sure You Don't Want Varitek Back? : Team already has a DH.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

He would have been catcher this year and then DH next year.  He's someone who can catch, DH or play first base.  I wanted to go with Salty and Vmart.  Let Tek go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

I like the topic, but the thread has gotten silly and off track.

We are debating Tek's projected value to the RS next year.

*IF* we assume ....
    - you always want to improve your team
    - age is an issue
    - we all recognize Jason is no one's idea of a feared hitter
    - his captaincy surely couldn't be considered a success

... then:

1.  Stop tussling over Tek vs. Salty vs. pie in sky vision of choice.  His role is "backup easily disposed."  That means you can have him cheap, and dump him from the roster any time during the season.  This is already his status.

2.  Tell me what the real alternatives are.  Ramon Martinez might be a nice acquisition - are you thinking that he has faxed in a note saying "I will play for anything, just please sign me?" 

Take a good, hard look at the league wide options for back up catcher.  Go look again.  Tickle yourself with a peek at starting catcher #'s.  Think Varitek's #'s look bad? 

3.  Stop assuming that resigning him means you are going to play him all year.  Think "placeholder." 

When you look at all of that, and what is likely to be a very, very favorable contract to the team (likely $1M / 1 yr.), he's damn near perfect: cheap, serviceable and disposable.

I think the whole "personal catcher" thing has mushroomed into a dragon that has to be slain, and SHOULD be considered independently of Tek's value as a FA to the team.

I don't know who ever encouraged that amount of coddling of starting pitchers, but that is just BS.  The Red Sox need to toughen up, and that's a great example of one way they can tell guys they need to radically rethink their attitude.  You need a personal catcher?  Go play in the independent leagues.  We have a 40 man roster to manage.

The Yankees are a great example, as they bulled an unhappy Posada to the bench for all the right reasons.  He sulked, but accepted his role and made some minor contributions this year.  That's how you do it.

Footnote: Jason's captaincy was always a puzzler.  He just can't command the clubhouse when his on-field role is so minor.  I don't recall how that was decided, but the front office bungled when they permitted that.

Should he come back, someone needs to take him aside and tell him to stay far away from any discussion of team captains.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Trust me, no way the Yankees waste a roster spot on these two 40 plus losers, even if the Red Sox paid the entire bill!

So true. 

We all know the Yanks prefer 39 year old losers instead. I mean, they gave Posada (39) 387 "ceremonial" PAs and got a worse OPS than VTek had! (.714).  V'Tek only had 250 PAs in his "tour" with a .723 OPS. That's 137 more PAs for 3 more HRs and 8 more RBIs! Brilliant move Cashman!

And, we all know what a great fielding and game-calling catcher Posada has been, and what a great team leader in the clubhouse he was this year.

The Yanks also have a 41 year old closer who will be back next year.

The Yanks also signed a 38 year old low rotation guy (Colon) at the age that softy started telling Wake to retire. (Like right before Wake had his best 2.5 years of his career).

The Yanks also have one of the worst fielding SSs in MLB history coming back next year at age 38.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice post ABQDan. Very eloquent. As for this...

I think the whole "personal catcher" thing has mushroomed into a dragon that has to be slain, and SHOULD be considered independently of Tek's value as a FA to the team.

I said this last spring. As much as the numbers show how much better Beckett does with V'Tek, we needed to ween him off that depenancy. I also showed how much better V'Tek is hitting lefties and Salty hitting righties and suggested more of a L-R platoon rather than a "personal caddy" platoon this year. The game split would have still ended up about the same (60-40).

Although V'Tek's L-R disparity was less than his most recent years (.748 to .710), Salty does mush worse ve lefties and always has. (2011: .635 to .786/ career: .604 to .772).

Then, what ends up happening is that Tito abandons his year long plan and panics. He would have started Salty with Beckett in the playoffs had we made it. I am sure of that, and that's not a good idea with so little experience with each other beforehand.

I'm fine with Ramon Hernandez, but he won't be cheap.  And, isn't he going to be 36 next May? The same age V'Tek was when softy started calling for his release?

Games played and OPS
    Hernandez
    2009: 81 (age 33) OPS .699
    2010: 97 (age 34) OPS .792
    2011: 91 (age 35) OPS .788
    2012: __ (age 36) OPS ???

Varitek
    2005: 133 (33) OPS .856
    2006: 103 (34) OPS .725
    2007: 131 (35) OPS .787 (Wow, look how close VTek and Ramon were are age 35!)
    2008: 131 (36) OPS .672
    2009: 109 (37) OPS .703
    2010: 39   (38) OPS .766
    2011: 68  (39)  OPS .723

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sending Salty to AAA (last option) and going with Hernandez and Vtek makes soem sense, depeding on what RH gets for a salary. I don't think Lava is ready for major duty as a MLB catcher for 2012.