ARGO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: ARGO

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Kim raved about this here. Good pick, Kim.

Yes! So happy he won. Great night for a great Sox fan. To not even be nominated in the Best Director category couldn't change how great the film was. He was so emotional, it was a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the thread celebrating this, Steven. It was really fun to see. One of my favorite Oscar ceremonies.

YW. And I was shocked to see what good form Shirley Bassey was in.

Have to admit, I didn't see the entire ceremony, and, again, have to admit I don't know who Shirley Bassey is. I could google it, but that would kind of be disingenuous. Contrary to some posters here, I don't make up stories about things I don't know. It would feel weird to me.

Maybe if you told me what she was wearing, I might remember. LOL Sad, but true.

She sang the iconic Goldfinger Main Theme way back in 1964 (My favorite & arguably the best Bond film, although Skyfall supposed to be good); now pushing 80, she sang it last night ... and unbelievably, sounded about the same, with similar power, vocal quality, & projection. As far as Lincoln is concerned, I guess some of those documentaries about our likely greatest president were wrong; they made him sound like deity.

Wow. 80 and out there bringing it! Good for her! Sorry I missed it. I think that's awesome. I did see Barbra come out. How crazy was that? She was also amazing. Really heartfelt moment as well. I don't remember that even being leaked that she was going to show up. Nice when they can surprise like that. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Carter was so incompetent. This film was filled with inaccuarcies, which is what Hollywood is all about. Most Americans think that Vietnam was like the imagination of Hollywood directors. In fact, most Americans have no grasp of reality because they are Hollywood lemmings. Hollwyood is a left wing propaganda ministry, which is what Germany employed.

It's funny you bring up Vietnam. My son is in H.S. and they refuse to teach anything about or even go over what occurred. Sorry I know this is a baseball forum but it bugs me.

I think that would bother me as well. I wonder what the reasoning is for ignoring history. That's sounds kinda scary to me. "Selective history".

Selective history is what's taught now.

Very disrespectful of the people who fought and died there. Like they didn't even exist and it never even happened. Awful. IMO

That war was an embarrasing chapter in our history; hence some like to move on from it.

The country who sent them there, shouldn't decide it's time to move on and forget about it. It's really disgraceful, and I'm surprised they're even allowed to decide what they're going to include in history, especially such a big part. And it's AMERICAN history. Makes no sense. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

U mean unless it's about the standings

anybody else remember when this was a baseball board

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes! So happy he won. Great night for a great Sox fan. To not even be nominated in the Best Director category couldn't change how great the film was. He was so emotional, it was a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the thread celebrating this, Steven. It was really fun to see. One of my favorite Oscar ceremonies.

Have to admit, I didn't see the entire ceremony, and, again, have to admit I don't know who Shirley Bassey is. I could google it, but that would kind of be disingenuous. Contrary to some posters here, I don't make up stories about things I don't know. It would feel weird to me.

She sang the iconic Goldfinger Main Theme way back in 1964 (My favorite & arguably the best Bond film, although Skyfall supposed to be good); now pushing 80, she sang it last night ... and unbelievably, sounded about the same, with similar power, vocal quality, & projection. As far as Lincoln is concerned, I guess some of those documentaries about our likely greatest president were wrong; they made him sound like deity.

Wow. 80 and out there bringing it! Good for her! Sorry I missed it. I think that's awesome. I did see Barbra come out. How crazy was that? She was also amazing. Really heartfelt moment as well. I don't remember that even being leaked that she was going to show up. Nice when they can surprise like that. 

Yes; you may recall the Mike Myer's skit on SNL; she did a surprise visit there too. I have mixed feelings about her. Along with Neil Diamond (His parents had a retail shop a block away from my apartment), Neil Sedaka (lived across the street for awhile), & Carole King, they all grew up close to where I did, the Brill Building bunch.. A stereotype, but supposedly many gay men love her. Considering her political bent, this is softy fodder if I ever saw it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

self indulgent thread by the two love birds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Disagree; it's a threesome.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Yes; you may recall the Mike Myer's skit on SNL; she did a surprise visit there too. I have mixed feelings about her. Along with Neil Diamond (His parents had a retail shop a block away from my apartment), Neil Sedaka (lived across the street for awhile), & Carole King, they all grew up close to where I did, the Brill Building bunch.. A stereotype, but supposedly many gay men love her. Considering her political bent, this is softy fodder if I ever saw it.

Pretty incredible that so many talented people came from the same area. And all singers. Something in the water there?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

It's Oscar night. It was a big Oscar night for a HUGE Sox fan. Lose yourself somewhere.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Kim, i agree, he would have been absolutely deserving, but if anyone even moderately followed the awards season, Ang Lee was going to be a slam dunk winner..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

Mel Gibson was born in Peekskill, NY. Downstate as far as I'm concerned.

His family moved to Australia when he was 12.

I have not seen Argo although I have read that the escape was largely fictional.

There was none of the close calls, drama or suspense as portrayed in the film the people were allowed to leave untouched un-noticed by the Iranians.

More involvement by the Canadians who were largely given credit for it at that time which I remember well.

Seeing signs shortly after the escape all over upstate NY erected for Canadian tourists "Thank you Canada".

Such is Hollywood, drama sells the hell with accuracy and history.

Fiction wins Oscars.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Argo is a damn good movie, I highly recommend it!!!   :)

They had a lot of balls going to the airport, pretending to be a Canadian film crew.  I'm Korean so I would have to pretend to be the Japanese cameraman.  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

They had a lot of balls going to the airport, pretending to be a Canadian film crew.  I'm Korean so I would have to pretend to be the Japanese cameraman.  LOL

Only happened in the movie for drama ic in real life they left the country of iran un-noticed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Denzel is a Yankee fan born and raised in New Rochelle.

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

Denzel is also heavily involved with the Wounded Warriors Project.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

My wife and I watched it Saturday night, it was excellent.  How the heck does the director of a computer generated movie win best Director while Ben gets snubbed?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Only happened in the movie for drama ic in real life they left the country of iran un-noticed.

Good morning ThatWasMe.   :)

Oh, I didn't know that.  

I would rather leave the country unnoticed than through their airport.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Denzel is a Yankee fan born and raised in New Rochelle.

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

Denzel is also heavily involved with the Wounded Warriors Project.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

On North Ave. in New Rochelle, there is a Dunkin Donuts (across the street from an animal hospital).  I saw Mariano Rivera a few times.  He goes to that Dunkin Donuts quite often.  

He is a very humble and polite man.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

It was a no brainer. Was that good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Right Kim. Over 54K killed there in what they were at one time calling a police action. Shameful. Lost my brother there and two friends while I was fortunate enough to attend college with a high draftable 315 lottery number. You cannot try to efface what is part of our History. Our kids should know and be proud of the men and women who sacrificed their lives against a dubious enemy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Agro was a great movie. It does down play the Canadians and make the CIA look great even though they caused this situation. I felt that is super proAmerican and I bet softy hasn't seen it.

Sections
Shortcuts