ARGO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: ARGO

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

Denzel is a Yankee fan born and raised in New Rochelle.

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

Denzel is also heavily involved with the Wounded Warriors Project.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

On North Ave. in New Rochelle, there is a Dunkin Donuts (across the street from an animal hospital).  I saw Mariano Rivera a few times.  He goes to that Dunkin Donuts quite often.  

He is a very humble and polite man.  

and still heavily involved in the Boys' & Girl's Club of America

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"Sir, this is the best bad idea we have."  Epic

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lester Siegel: "Okay, you got 6 people hiding out in a town of what, 4 million people, all of whom chant "death to America" all the livelong day. You want to set up a movie in a week. You want to lie to Hollywood, a town where everybody lies for a living. Then you're gonna sneak 007 over here into a country that wants CIA blood on their breakfast cereal, and you're gonna walk the Brady Bunch out of the most watched city in the world."

Ben Affleck as Tony Mendez: "Past about a hundred militia at the airport. That's right."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Great story, great acting by all involved. They picked the right film. I saw Lincoln, the other choice in most opinions, but it was not as good a story line, being more of a history lesson, also with great acting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Ben "Aflack" needs to donate all his money and assets as a down payment on the national debt to help feed the poor and the unemployed middle class. He can do so by going to the Bureau of the National Debt and doing the one click on it's website.

And what about you, who's stated here that he makes more money than any ML player?  Are you prepared to do the same thing?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

"Sir, this is the best bad idea we have."  Epic

That line in itself was worth the price of the movie.  I've used it since, myself.  :-)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

Denzel is a Yankee fan born and raised in New Rochelle.

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

Denzel is also heavily involved with the Wounded Warriors Project.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

On North Ave. in New Rochelle, there is a Dunkin Donuts (across the street from an animal hospital).  I saw Mariano Rivera a few times.  He goes to that Dunkin Donuts quite often.  

He is a very humble and polite man.  

Interesting ic. Mariano sure doesn't look like a donut eater but maybe pickups for the family.

Thanks for sharing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Affleck is an embarrassingly bad performer. As for the film, itself, I saw the independent review of the film, as well as the feedback from various blogs. The film projected a fantasy that is a complete distortion of the facts and protocol for intelligence professionals.

I feel like you should really hold judgement until you have seen it. The errors are mainly in the way the Canadians are shown. Also the British and Kiwi's didn't refuse help. They were never in immediate danger and Jimmy Carter didn't try to stop Mendez like in the film.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to GEAUX-TIGRES' comment:

Right Kim. Over 54K killed there in what they were at one time calling a police action. Shameful. Lost my brother there and two friends while I was fortunate enough to attend college with a high draftable 315 lottery number. You cannot try to efface what is part of our History. Our kids should know and be proud of the men and women who sacrificed their lives against a dubious enemy.

Two of my older brothers were over there, I was in college at the time when they called my number I went down for my physical which I failed because of hearing issues since birth.

Lost a few very very close friends I grew up with, one of them was a Marine guarding the US Embassy during the Tet offensive, he was one of the first to be killed.

All of them who came back were greatly changed by the experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Affleck is an embarrassingly bad performer. As for the film, itself, I saw the independent review of the film, as well as the feedback from various blogs. The film projected a fantasy that is a complete distortion of the facts and protocol for intelligence professionals.

he was pretty good in "The Town"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I would bet that Ben gives as much as he receives.

I would bet that Ben gives little and receives a lot. What he "gives" is for charitable tax decuction and image sale purposes.

Despite what propaganda teaches, people who "come from money" know just as much about people who "aren't as fortunate" as those who "come from people who aren't as fortunate". You are a bigot, pretending that lower economic class means better understsanding of human needs. In reality, jealousy is what drives the minds of those who proudly carry a big lower economic class chip on their shoulder.

With this mantra of the maniacal, I wonder if you have bestowed the republic with all of your fortune and wares.  You are ever so judgmental of others, this it leaves me to wonder if you are just a hypocrit calling others out or if you stand by this remarkable standard yourself.

Just the same, even if you were true to yourself, your judgmental stance would hardly justify your pomposity. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

he was pretty good in "The Town"

Doug: "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people." 

James: "Who's car are we taking?"

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Kim raved about this here. Good pick, Kim.

Yes! So happy he won. Great night for a great Sox fan. To not even be nominated in the Best Director category couldn't change how great the film was. He was so emotional, it was a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the thread celebrating this, Steven. It was really fun to see. One of my favorite Oscar ceremonies.

YW. And I was shocked to see what good form Shirley Bassey was in. Also, I know DDL is a great actor, but I never pictured Lincoln with such a squeaky high voice. Something tells me I'm right. 

Actually, a lot of questions came up about that prior to the Oscars. Turns out, he did alot of research on Lincoln and he did, in fact, have a high voice. He played him exactly from what the record states. Amazing actor. Really brought Lincoln to life.

I saw Lincoln as well, and thought he did an amazing job, but I'm glad it didn't win as best picture. Even with the great Steven Spielberg (I once had a cat named Steven Spielberg I used to call Steve - true LOL), the award should not be given for reputation. I thought it was fitting that Daniel got best actor, though.

Yes, Lincoln did have a bit of a high voice. It would be nice if we knew exactly what it sounded like, but at least by most reports that's the way he sounded. I've always pictured Lincoln sounding like Sam Waterston because of his dramatic readings for Ken Burns' Civil War. It kind of burned it permanently in my mind.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Thought coming here for a few minutes would take me away from all the Oscar and Hollywood hoopla flooding every website but nooooooooooooooooooo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Carter was so incompetent. This film was filled with inaccuarcies, which is what Hollywood is all about. Most Americans think that Vietnam was like the imagination of Hollywood directors. In fact, most Americans have no grasp of reality because they are Hollywood lemmings. Hollwyood is a left wing propaganda ministry, which is what Germany employed.

It's funny you bring up Vietnam. My son is in H.S. and they refuse to teach anything about or even go over what occurred. Sorry I know this is a baseball forum but it bugs me.

I think that would bother me as well. I wonder what the reasoning is for ignoring history. That's sounds kinda scary to me. "Selective history".

Selective history is what's taught now.

Very disrespectful of the people who fought and died there. Like they didn't even exist and it never even happened. Awful. IMO

That war was an embarrasing chapter in our history; hence some like to move on from it.

People who disregard history whether it be good or bad are fool's.

Sections
Shortcuts