ARGO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: ARGO

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

My wife and I watched it Saturday night, it was excellent.  How the heck does the director of a computer generated movie win best Director while Ben gets snubbed?

How Affleck wasn't nominated is indeed strange.  However, Ang Lee's movie is great as well, and a technical marvel (that's why it won a bunch of the tech awards).  I understand beauty and quality of art is a completely subjective thing.  And Argo was terrific for sure, but for my eye, Life of Pi was one of those "special" movies - and I bet years from now, it will fall into the Wizard of Oz realm - notable when released, but turned into a classic over the years.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I would bet that Ben gives as much as he receives.

I would bet that Ben gives little and receives a lot. What he "gives" is for charitable tax decuction and image sale purposes.

Despite what propaganda teaches, people who "come from money" know just as much about people who "aren't as fortunate" as those who "come from people who aren't as fortunate". You are a bigot, pretending that lower economic class means better understsanding of human needs. In reality, jealousy is what drives the minds of those who proudly carry a big lower economic class chip on their shoulder.

With this mantra of the maniacal, I wonder if you have bestowed the republic with all of your fortune and wares.  You are ever so judgmental of others, this it leaves me to wonder if you are just a hypocrit calling others out or if you stand by this remarkable standard yourself.

Just the same, even if you were true to yourself, your judgmental stance would hardly justify your pomposity. 

I actually don't mind him, but well said nevertheless.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Wasn't the most believable part of the movie the ending? You know when the Iranian Guard chased his plane down the runway... the fictitious repetitious Hollywood garbage?

You want to see Hollywood fictitious garbage? Check out the 1960 John Wayne directed movie The Alamo. Classic Hollywood glossed over propaganda "history" at its most simple minded worst.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Wasn't the most believable part of the movie the ending? You know when the Iranian Guard chased his plane down the runway... the fictitious repetitious Hollywood garbage

You want to see Hollywood fictitious garbage? Check out the 1960 John Wayne directed movie The Alamo. Classic Hollywood glossed over propaganda "history" at its most simple minded worst.

Few movies of that generation were accurate... no excuse for todays movies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Kim raved about this here. Good pick, Kim.

Yes! So happy he won. Great night for a great Sox fan. To not even be nominated in the Best Director category couldn't change how great the film was. He was so emotional, it was a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the thread celebrating this, Steven. It was really fun to see. One of my favorite Oscar ceremonies.

Kim, i agree, he would have been absolutely deserving, but if anyone even moderately followed the awards season, Ang Lee was going to be a slam dunk winner..

Ben wasn't even nominated, and he won the award at all the other ceremonies. No offense, Jete, but the only way Ang Lee would be a slam dunk, would be to leave Ben out of the category. JMO Not to take anthing away from Lee, but wasn't that sort of an animated movie? Ben was directing actual people, and a lot of the people in some of those scenes were just local people who weren't actors at all. Again, JMO, but he certainly should have been INCLUDED in the category.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

Mel Gibson was born in Peekskill, NY. Downstate as far as I'm concerned.

His family moved to Australia when he was 12.

I have not seen Argo although I have read that the escape was largely fictional.

There was none of the close calls, drama or suspense as portrayed in the film the people were allowed to leave untouched un-noticed by the Iranians.

More involvement by the Canadians who were largely given credit for it at that time which I remember well.

Seeing signs shortly after the escape all over upstate NY erected for Canadian tourists "Thank you Canada".

Such is Hollywood, drama sells the hell with accuracy and history.

Fiction wins Oscars.

Well, let me just say, "Thank you, Canada". But the beef seems to be with Ben, and not with the writer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

FTR, Steven, weren't there people who tried to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen? I would imagine you weren't as dismissive with that. Just pointing that out. You can't pretend things didn't happen, that did happen because whoever likes it better that way.

I believe Ahmadinejad (Iran's President) is a fan of this concept, he apparently even had a Holocaust Denier convention; oh, and supposedly Mel Gibson's father; apparently they have a few things in common.

Mel Gibson was supposedly raised in upstate, NY. Guess he's a Yankee fan. Just sayin'.

Denzel is a Yankee fan born and raised in New Rochelle.

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

Denzel is also heavily involved with the Wounded Warriors Project.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

Man on Fire is one of my favorite movies, although whenever I've watched it I fast forwarded through the torture sceens as that's not really my thing. I just loved the story, and Denzel was incredible in that movie.

I have no doubt he's a great guy and supports the troups. What he's done is very admirable. I just don't remember saying anything about him  that would prompt your defense of him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Affleck is an embarrassingly bad performer. As for the film, itself, I saw the independent review of the film, as well as the feedback from various blogs. The film projected a fantasy that is a complete distortion of the facts and protocol for intelligence professionals.

Ben didn't write it, and he wasn't nominated for his performance. It is interesting to see that your venom is not only directed at Sox players, but their fans as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

One of my co-workers grew up with him from the same neighborhood raves about Denzel growing up and what a great family he comes from.

I read last year he was touring with his family one of the Wounded Warrior hospitals where Vets rehab.

There are fourplex apartment buildings on site to house the families while the vets rehab, Denzel inquired how much each one cost then promptly cut a check for the cost of building two more.

On North Ave. in New Rochelle, there is a Dunkin Donuts (across the street from an animal hospital).  I saw Mariano Rivera a few times.  He goes to that Dunkin Donuts quite often.  

He is a very humble and polite man.  

Interesting ic. Mariano sure doesn't look like a donut eater but maybe pickups for the family.

Thanks for sharing.

OMG. You can't even say Mariano goes to Dunkin' Donuts. Here's a news flash for you, Mariano is NOT going to be coming here to defend you on the Internet. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. And I doubt he cares that people say he goes to Dunkin' Donuts, especially since he DOES.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to GEAUX-TIGRES's comment:

Right Kim. Over 54K killed there in what they were at one time calling a police action. Shameful. Lost my brother there and two friends while I was fortunate enough to attend college with a high draftable 315 lottery number. You cannot try to efface what is part of our History. Our kids should know and be proud of the men and women who sacrificed their lives against a dubious enemy.

Sorry for your losses. That's a high price for one individual. It really is unreal that they are trying to change history. How much of the history we already know about this country has been altered? Who decides what is taught and what is forgotten or denied? I guess I just assumed that history was history.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

-

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes! So happy he won. Great night for a great Sox fan. To not even be nominated in the Best Director category couldn't change how great the film was. He was so emotional, it was a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the thread celebrating this, Steven. It was really fun to see. One of my favorite Oscar ceremonies.

Kim, i agree, he would have been absolutely deserving, but if anyone even moderately followed the awards season, Ang Lee was going to be a slam dunk winner..

Ben wasn't even nominated, and he won the award at all the other ceremonies. No offense, Jete, but the only way Ang Lee would be a slam dunk, would be to leave Ben out of the category. JMO Not to take anthing away from Lee, but wasn't that sort of an animated movie? Ben was directing actual people, and a lot of the people in some of those scenes were just local people who weren't actors at all. Again, JMO, but he certainly should have been INCLUDED in the category.

It resulted in a trivia curio; this is the 1st time in decades (I believe since the 30s) that the best movie did NOT have the director NOMINATED

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It resulted in a trivia curio; this is the 1st time in decades (I believe since the 30s) that the best movie did NOT have the director NOMINATED

It makes no sense, no matter how they spin it. It kinda just magnifies that Hollywood is a "who you know" universe even when it comes to awards for excellence.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Man on Fire is one of my favorite movies, although whenever I've watched it I fast forwarded through the torture sceens as that's not really my thing. I just loved the story, and Denzel was incredible in that movie.

I have no doubt he's a great guy and supports the troups. What he's done is very admirable. I just don't remember saying anything about him  that would prompt your defense of him.

My comments regarding Denzel were not defensive, were in response to your inquiring (Mel Gibson?) of a NY native bred Yankee fan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

On North Ave. in New Rochelle, there is a Dunkin Donuts (across the street from an animal hospital).  I saw Mariano Rivera a few times.  He goes to that Dunkin Donuts quite often.  

He is a very humble and polite man.  

Interesting ic. Mariano sure doesn't look like a donut eater but maybe pickups for the family.

Thanks for sharing.

OMG. You can't even say Mariano goes to Dunkin' Donuts. Here's a news flash for you, Mariano is NOT going to be coming here to defend you on the Internet. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. And I doubt he cares that people say he goes to Dunkin' Donuts, especially since he DOES.

Don't know why this harmless exchange with IC about Mariano frequenting Dunkin Donuts in New Rochelle prompted a snarky comment from you.

Nothing to do with you or your Sox.

Exemplifies the unrivaled level of stupidity in some of your posts.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

With this mantra of the maniacal, I wonder if you have bestowed the republic with all of your fortune and wares.  You are ever so judgmental of others

The court jester is judging while using invective to complain about judging. What a fool you are, which is much kinder than "maniacal". You had no comment on the subject matter, but feel comfortable being hypcritcal on a propaganda platform. Carry on, dronehead.

No need to focus on the subject matter.  No matter what the subject, you try to screw it up.

But once again, you didn't read the post.  Or rather, you responded incorrectly by saying I didn't comment on the subject matter.  The subject was dealing with your treatment of Afleck and what he should do with his money.  As you lawyers would say, you introduced the "evidence" or the subject, thereby making it germain.   The subject of hypocrisy you didn't miss.  Seems to have stung you.  That was the point.

Try not to play like a bully. 

You don't get to call the shots and not get any directed at you.

Most of the time you aren't worth the effort, but then this is no effort at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wasn't the most believable part of the movie the ending? You know when the Iranian Guard chased his plane down the runway... the fictitious repetitious Hollywood garbage

Name one historical movie of any generation that is accurate. There never was an excuse for not presenting the facts that have always been available for those who want to present them. We don't know any more about history today than was known at any other time. Most people don't want to make the effort to know the true story. We have always been a country much more content with either ignoring history or mythologizing it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Name one historical movie of any generation that is accurate. There never was an excuse for not presenting the facts that have always been available for those who want to present them. We don't know any more about history today than was known at any other time. Most people don't want to make the effort to know the true story. We have always been a country much more content with either ignoring history or mythologizing it.

History is written by the victors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Mel Gibson was born in Peekskill, NY. Downstate as far as I'm concerned.

His family moved to Australia when he was 12.

I have not seen Argo although I have read that the escape was largely fictional.

There was none of the close calls, drama or suspense as portrayed in the film the people were allowed to leave untouched un-noticed by the Iranians.

More involvement by the Canadians who were largely given credit for it at that time which I remember well.

Seeing signs shortly after the escape all over upstate NY erected for Canadian tourists "Thank you Canada".

Such is Hollywood, drama sells the hell with accuracy and history.

Fiction wins Oscars.

Well, let me just say, "Thank you, Canada". But the beef seems to be with Ben, and not with the writer.

The award was for "Best Picture". Not "Best History Lesson."

There is a reason they say these things are "BASED on a True Story" and not simply "A True Story. "