Armchair GM's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Armchair GM's

Not to sound like some sort of purist because I'm not but the blase attitude of many after we lost Ells to the Yanks is frustrating. This guy was one of the most exciting players to ever play for the Sox and holds 3 of the 5 top spots for stolen bases in a season...He was 60 from being the all time leader in just 6 years of playing. He covered ground as a CF like very few can, and he could hit extra base hits as well. Most importantly he helped win us two championships. I agree 22 million a year is outrageous. But then again so was S Drew's ten million last year and whatever Boras gets him this year. It might as well be monopoly money because it's beyond the average fan's comprehension. Yea we got a compensation pick, yea we have prospects that could help replace him, yea the Yanks might have totally screwed the financial pooch in signing him and adding this to their insane payroll - but I'm going to miss him and his unique skills. This is one reason why I quit fantasy football. I got tired of being a make-believe GM and fretting about stats instead of pulling for the Pats or whichever team I liked. We are going to lose three of our starters at least from this championship team. I trust Ben will make the right moves (hope at least as he did last year) to make us a contender again but there's something to be said about rooting for the core players year in and year out and identifying with them. Ells shouldve been one of those guys. Apparently only Papi is....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Armchair GM's

In response to georom4's comment:

I agree 22 million a year is outrageous. But then again so was S Drew's ten million last year

The difference is the Sox won't be paying Drew that "outrageous" salary until he's 37.   It is one thing to pay a guy a ton of money when he's producing (even if that production isn't worth that much money big market teams like the Sox have their financial advantage such that it's okay), but long term contracts like this one can leave you exposed to what the Yankees have been dealing with, with A-Roid.  Paying an exorbitant about of money for almost nothing when the guy gets old.  That's the difference imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Not to sound like some sort of purist because I'm not but the blase attitude of many after we lost Ells to the Yanks is frustrating. This guy was one of the most exciting players to ever play for the Sox and holds 3 of the 5 top spots for stolen bases in a season...He was 60 from being the all time leader in just 6 years of playing. He covered ground as a CF like very few can, and he could hit extra base hits as well. Most importantly he helped win us two championships. I agree 22 million a year is outrageous. But then again so was S Drew's ten million last year and whatever Boras gets him this year. It might as well be monopoly money because it's beyond the average fan's comprehension. Yea we got a compensation pick, yea we have prospects that could help replace him, yea the Yanks might have totally screwed the financial pooch in signing him and adding this to their insane payroll - but I'm going to miss him and his unique skills. This is one reason why I quit fantasy football. I got tired of being a make-believe GM and freeting about stats instead of pulling for the Pats or whichever team I liked. We are going to lose three of our starters at least from this championship team. I trust Ben will make the right moves (hope at least as he did last year) to make us contender again but there's something to be said about rooting for the core players year in and year out and identifying with them. Ells shouldve been one of those guys. Apparently only Papi is....

[/QUOTE]

You might want to add Pedroia as well.  The one thing this Front Office has been very good at since they took over in '02, is knowing when to let their own players go, with few exceptions.  Even with arguable exceptions (Maybe Beltre/Lowe), there was clear reasoning as to why they didn't want to bring them back.  Right now, on paper, the Yankees just got better and the Sox just got worse, but giving Ellsbury that kind of money would have been the same type of fiscal irresponsibility that made this organization a mess before the "Great Dodger Bail out."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I hear that the Yanks can also sign Cano, and still have money for the pitching staff and still stay within Budget.  Are they using Bulgarian dollars? I agree about Ells.  People don't realize how much he did for this club.  Hopefully they wont be horrified by seeing him do it to us instead of for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not to sound like some sort of purist because I'm not but the blase attitude of many after we lost Ells to the Yanks is frustrating. This guy was one of the most exciting players to ever play for the Sox and holds 3 of the 5 top spots for stolen bases in a season...He was 60 from being the all time leader in just 6 years of playing. He covered ground as a CF like very few can, and he could hit extra base hits as well. Most importantly he helped win us two championships. I agree 22 million a year is outrageous. But then again so was S Drew's ten million last year and whatever Boras gets him this year. It might as well be monopoly money because it's beyond the average fan's comprehension. Yea we got a compensation pick, yea we have prospects that could help replace him, yea the Yanks might have totally screwed the financial pooch in signing him and adding this to their insane payroll - but I'm going to miss him and his unique skills. This is one reason why I quit fantasy football. I got tired of being a make-believe GM and freeting about stats instead of pulling for the Pats or whichever team I liked. We are going to lose three of our starters at least from this championship team. I trust Ben will make the right moves (hope at least as he did last year) to make us contender again but there's something to be said about rooting for the core players year in and year out and identifying with them. Ells shouldve been one of those guys. Apparently only Papi is....

[/QUOTE]

You might want to add Pedroia as well.  The one thing this Front Office has been very good at since they took over in '02, is knowing when to let their own players go, with few exceptions.  Even with arguable exceptions (Maybe Beltre/Lowe), there was clear reasoning as to why they didn't want to bring them back.  Right now, on paper, the Yankees just got better and the Sox just got worse, but giving Ellsbury that kind of money would have been the same type of fiscal irresponsibility that made this organization a mess before the "Great Dodger Bail out."

[/QUOTE]

Yea obviously Pedey too but I wonder if he didn't take the home-town discount...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Not to sound like some sort of purist because I'm not but the blase attitude of many after we lost Ells to the Yanks is frustrating. This guy was one of the most exciting players to ever play for the Sox and holds 3 of the 5 top spots for stolen bases in a season...He was 60 from being the all time leader in just 6 years of playing. He covered ground as a CF like very few can, and he could hit extra base hits as well. Most importantly he helped win us two championships. I agree 22 million a year is outrageous. But then again so was S Drew's ten million last year and whatever Boras gets him this year. It might as well be monopoly money because it's beyond the average fan's comprehension. Yea we got a compensation pick, yea we have prospects that could help replace him, yea the Yanks might have totally screwed the financial pooch in signing him and adding this to their insane payroll - but I'm going to miss him and his unique skills. This is one reason why I quit fantasy football. I got tired of being a make-believe GM and fretting about stats instead of pulling for the Pats or whichever team I liked. We are going to lose three of our starters at least from this championship team. I trust Ben will make the right moves (hope at least as he did last year) to make us a contender again but there's something to be said about rooting for the core players year in and year out and identifying with them. Ells shouldve been one of those guys. Apparently only Papi is....

[/QUOTE]

Ells has had a very up and down career in Boston and although he was a good player for us we also realize the contract he signed was insane.  We also realize players like Choo are better if one really chooses to research the facts as I'm sure GM's will.  The Yankees in my opinion have been the single most poisen in raising the average yearly salary to insane levels.  Ells isn't worth a dime more than 100mil at a max of 6 years so as usual the Sox made a very intelligent business decision.

Choo, as Jasko stated will probably also be overpaid because the bar has been set so high but either way Choo at 100/120mil will still be a better deal than Ells at 150mil.  Papi is a one of a kind hitter who may be the best DH of all time and big time clutch player.  Much different from an often injured CF'r who has been good most of the time but very unpredictable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'm totally bummed not to have Ells playing for the Sox anymore, even though I knew we couldn't pay enough to keep him; doubly bummed he's on the Yankees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ellsbury was an exciting player and I've enjoyed watching him.  The day he signed with Boras, it was a sure thing that he would not be here after he hit FA.  I've been mentally prepared for his departure for a long time and even advocated getting something of value for him if the right deal came along.  They way it worked out (another world series) and a draft pick next year, I can live with that.  I don't begrudge Ells the money and I'll always be glad he played here.  

If the Sox choose not to overpay badly for what will most likely be Ells' declining years (at least the last 3 of that contract) then that's their business.  If they think they can get 80% of JE's ability at a fraction of the cost in Bradley, that's their business.  They paid Pedroia, who wanted to be here - they're not cheap.  They have other choices to make at other important positions (Lester).  I can live with not overpaying for Ellsbury if it means that they'll continue to re-sign guys like Pedroia and add to the core through FA.  

I personally hated when they went out and bought Crawford, a guy who never wanted to be here.  I like that the philosophy has gravitated back toward developing the farm and supplementing the roster with FA.  I hope it's always like that.          

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Georom, I can only speak for myself here.  But, if many feel like I do, its not a blase attitude about ellsbury leaving.  I will definitely miss him, a lot.  I wish he could have been a lifer along with his classmates Lester and Pedroia.  And, if I do not seem shocked and outraged, it is because I had already prepared myself for this inevitability.  It is perhaps a sad statement about the game in this day and age of hyper-free agency, but regardless of intention, it is impossible to keep a whole core together.  And, I don't get the Papi inference.  Papi didn't cost the moon.  And, if Ellsbury had met the club half-way and re-upped like Pedroia or Lester did, he would still be here.  But he didn't.  And he and Scottie made their intentions well-known from the git.  He was going to test the waters and go for the gold.  Well, ok.  He got it.  All of it and then some.  It was all-in or nothing for the Sox brass.  And they didn't go all in.  Its a cold hard reality of baseball business.  Does it blow?  Yes.  Absolutely.  But just becuase I accept it doesn't miss I won't miss Elssbury or treasure his time with the Sox.

Also, I would bet, many folks, myself also included, feel the need to steel themselves against the sense of loss.  Jacoby is gone and he is a Yankee no less.  So, please forgive me if i feel the need to cut the ties with a bit of a cold detachment at the moment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Georom, I can only speak for myself here.  But, if many feel like I do, its not a blase attitude about ellsbury leaving.  I will definitely miss him, a lot.  I wish he could have been a lifer along with his classmates Lester and Pedroia.  And, if I do not seem shocked and outraged, it is because I had already prepared myself for this inevitability.  It is perhaps a sad statement about the game in this day and age of hyper-free agency, but regardless of intention, it is impossible to keep a whole core together.  And, I don't get the Papi inference.  Papi didn't cost the moon.  And, if Ellsbury had met the club half-way and re-upped like Pedroia or Lester did, he would still be here.  But he didn't.  And he and Scottie made their intentions well-known from the git.  He was going to test the waters and go for the gold.  Well, ok.  He got it.  All of it and then some.  It was all-in or nothing for the Sox brass.  And they didn't go all in.  Its a cold hard reality of baseball business.  Does it blow?  Yes.  Absolutely.  But just becuase I accept it doesn't miss I won't miss Elssbury or treasure his time with the Sox.

Also, I would bet, many folks, myself also included, feel the need to steel themselves against the sense of loss.  Jacoby is gone and he is a Yankee no less.  So, please forgive me if i feel the need to cut the ties with a bit of a cold detachment at the moment.

[/QUOTE]

I get the last part of what you said about moving on after it was clear Ells was intending to - but I think Sox fans are totally fooling themselves about how much this guy meant to the team. I heard many say the same thing about Papi last hot stove when I was going nuts saying to re-sign him....people were already trashing him and moving on despite all that he had done for the team.  It is a cold business but this is a game too. If I wanted to agonize over dollars/net worth I would follow Wall Street for sport. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....and S. Drew was worth far more than his $9.5m salary in 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice work, Spaceman...The one guy I actually feel bad for is MEF429...He was a huuuge Ellsbury fan who must not be very happy right now.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice work, Spaceman...The one guy I actually feel bad for is MEF429...He was a huuuge Ellsbury fan who must not be very happy right now.  

[/QUOTE]

But MEF could see the writing on the wall too Jasko.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

There are all types of personalities in the game.  In Jacoby's case he now falls into one who like other Yankee signings hit the jackpot.  Why wouldn't Jacoby want the insurance of getting paid insane money for 7 years regardless of production. 

Jacoby was fun to watch but chose the easy money and Yankees of all teams.  This alone will always seperate Jacoby from the well respected franchise players like Pede, Papi or Lester.  These are the guys who respect their organization and fans so much they are willing to take less on paper.  In many cases these guys make as much in the long run by continuing to work hard towards built in incentives. 

Shorter contracts and/or built in incentives should be standard safeguards towards injuries or decline in production.  It makes players work hard for their pay each and every year.  Not the Yankees, this is what seperates good management from the bad.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I loved Ells too.  But, like it or not, baseball is a business.  And it was really good business to get huge value out of Ells, two championships, a draft pick and our main rivals massively overpaying for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm not going to pretend to be happy or even blase, I hate it any time the Sox lose a player to the NYY. If i were the Sox I would give Robbie Cano the combined Salaries  offered to both Ellsbury and Napoli and see if he's into playing 1B for the Sox. He would be the ideal counter to the Ellsbury poach by the Yankees. This would do more harm to the Bronx bummers than the ellsbury signing. I'm not an armchair GM but this is how I would respond when the Yankees decide to take one of our best players by offering 70mil more than the Sox top offer! Thats an absurd amount and no team this side of the Dodgers can compete with that type of offer. So do as the Evil Empire did a poach their best player, it's highly unlikely Napoli is coming back considering his long standing disdain for Pierzynski... Take the money and do something positive with it,buy the , best that money can buy, Cano!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not going to pretend to be happy or even blase, I hate it any time the Sox lose a player to the NYY. If i were the Sox I would give Robbie Cano the combined Salaries  offered to both Ellsbury and Napoli and see if he's into playing 1B for the Sox. He would be the ideal counter to the Ellsbury poach by the Yankees. This would do more harm to the Bronx bummers than the ellsbury signing. I'm not an armchair GM but this is how I would respond when the Yankees decide to take one of our best players by offering 70mil more than the Sox top offer! Thats an absurd amount and no team this side of the Dodgers can compete with that type of offer. So do as the Evil Empire did a poach their best player, it's highly unlikely Napoli is coming back considering his long standing disdain for Pierzynski... Take the money and do something positive with it,buy the , best that money can buy, Cano!

[/QUOTE]

LOVE IT!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like the spirit Sportsbozo.  But no need to poach anyone.  The Yankees already just blew their shot at Cano, and, even if they manage to retain Cano's services, they then have blown their shot at helping their pathetic rotation.  So, at the end of the day, no need to play quid pro quo in the albatross arena.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ellsbury helped the Red Sox win two World Series championships.  I wish him the very best. But I hate to see him play against the Red Sox 18 times during the regular season.  

The Yankees are overpaying Ellsbury for a quick fix.  The Yankees are still no where near a World Series-bound team.  

As for Boston, I like how they changed their approach-- by offering shorter-term contracts to "Tier-two free agents" such as Victorino and Drew.  

By the way, Scott Boras will get around $8 million in commission from the Ellsbury deal.  I should have gone to Law School too.   LOL   Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No hes not, Im worried about him...He wasnt doing well last I saw.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

worst day of my frlggln life!

I was half-heartedly optimistic the sox would find a way to retain him but i guess in the end Moonslav was right. Some desperate GM will offer him the sun and moon. Just so happens to be the Yankees which is doubly crushing to my fan spirit. I would have been bummed if he signed elsewhere but eventually would have gotten over it and would still root for him. i would have been able to remain a jacoby ellsbury fan in some capacity... BUT THE FRlGGlN YANKEES!?!!!!! ARRGGGHHHHH!!! what a kick in the daddybags...

My best friend called me to tell me about it and i literally thought someone died when i answered it because of the tone of his voice. turns out, someone actually did die. Big numbah two...

i'm going to go resume banging my head off the wall Yell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get the last part of what you said about moving on after it was clear Ells was intending to - but I think Sox fans are totally fooling themselves about how much this guy meant to the team. I heard many say the same thing about Papi last hot stove when I was going nuts saying to re-sign him....people were already trashing him and moving on despite all that he had done for the team.  It is a cold business but this is a game too. If I wanted to agonize over dollars/net worth I would follow Wall Street for sport. 

[/QUOTE]

He is not the kind of player that is irreplaceable. He has certain strengths in his game-speed, mostly- but if you look at his offensive numbers they are not that impressive. His average OPS is just .789. Good, for sure, but not great. And his arm in CF is notoriously weak. I do not think we can replace what he does for the team with another CF, but if we manage to upgrade in other areas we should be OK. This is not Miguel Cabrera or Justin Verlander. He is not a superstar. He is a good player, not a great one. It does suck that he went to the Yankees, but it is what it is. The decision not to match the outrageous offer the NYY made was the correct decision.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a shame that so many forum regulars fell for the bait put out by troll Softlaw and those who enabled his nonsense for years that Ellsbury was worthless and useless . What a waste of your valuable time and effort. Yet so many loved Softlaw for his troll entertainment. Hopefully the forum has learned a lesson. Obviously the Yankees didn't agree that Jake got bad jumps on the ball, was a poor outfielder, was injury prone, and was worthless as a hitter as many on this forum were led to believe by troll Softlaw. By the way where is troll Softlaw that so many of you courted day after day? Most of RSN loved Ellsbury and only here was his worth debated. What a shame that the forum sunk to the level of a Yankee troll. You got suckered in by a troll.

[/QUOTE]

Hardly anyone has 'courted' Softlaw.  Bill-806 is about it.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts