ARod gets 162 Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: ARod gets 162 Games

Perhaps this will lead to sweeping changes in the current drug testing policy and once and for all place an onus on all parties too include the clubs themselves to clean up the game. After more than a decade of kicking the can down the road. I think it's time for Selig, the owners, the players, the players union and the agents of to share in the responsibilty of cleaning up the mess they collectively played a part in creating.

To date MLB has done a great job of shifting the responsibilty for the current state of the game and have made this a player problem, when in fact it is the owners willingness to continue to offer contracts to free agent players that have already tested positive rewarding them with multi year deals worth tens of millions of dollars. That is the root cause...Follow the money and take away the incentive to use starting with a two year ban after one positive test and the club loses a #1 draft pick if the player test positive during his tenure under contract with saiid club and trust me...things will change...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Bummer......I was hoping it would swing more in his favor so we could watch that trainwreck all season and cost the Yanks a lot of cash in the process.....

I had that thought too. Looks like hes done though.

He's played his last game, in pinstripes

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/odds-alex-rodriguez-federal-court-21500679

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Using is one thing but enticing others to use is why he got the length that he did.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps this will lead to sweeping changes in the current drug testing policy and once and for all place an onus on all parties too include the clubs themselves to clean up the game. After more than a decade of kicking the can down the road. I think it's time for Selig, the owners, the players, the players union and the agents of to share in the responsibilty of cleaning up the mess they collectively played a part in creating.

To date MLB has done a great job of shifting the responsibilty for the current state of the game and have made this a player problem, when in fact it is the owners willingness to continue to offer contracts to free agent players that have already tested positive rewarding them with multi year deals worth tens of millions of dollars. That is the root cause...Follow the money and take away the incentive to use starting with a two year ban after one positive test and the club loses a #1 draft pick if the player test positive during his tenure under contract with saiid club and trust me...things will change...

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post; those signings were irksome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Using is one thing but enticing others to use is why he got the length that he did.

Exactly, TWM. He was a known liar and cheater, but can now add pusher to the list

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

If AROD doesn't get his way, can we expect him to start ratting out his PED-buddies, with more NYY scandals to follow.  I suspect Clemens can star squirming now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

If AROD doesn't get his way, can we expect him to start ratting out his PED-buddies, with more NYY scandals to follow.  I suspect Clemens can star squirming now.

Careful what you wish for. He has a pretty prominent buddy on the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bummer......I was hoping it would swing more in his favor so we could watch that trainwreck all season and cost the Yanks a lot of cash in the process.....

[/QUOTE]

At the end of this drawn out fiasco, the Yankees come out winners.  Doesn't seem fair or right. 

I was sure before that they would go over the luxury tax limit.  Now it seems likely that they will be able to fill their needs and stay under.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

At the end of this drawn out fiasco, the Yankees come out winners.  Doesn't seem fair or right. 

I was sure before that they would go over the luxury tax limit.  Now it seems likely that they will be able to fill their needs and stay under.

here's a fun thought 4 U

if the yanks do save that 60 mill by staying under the cap

that's about what it will take to buy out arod's remaining 3/61 contract ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post; those signings were irksome.

[/QUOTE]

I have been saying for the last decade that the incentive to use is greater than the penalty for getting caught for all parties. MLB has taken a page out of the NFL's book and used thier PR machine to paint the players as the bad guys. Interesting that the media is just now starting to open their eyes to the cyclical nature of the problem and the role that the clubs play in enabling the players to continue to use. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo

When, if ARod suspension holds mlb will have legally beaten

the chemists who figured how to beat testing. 13 suspensions,

no positive tests

BT a very long read

but I think/hope U will like it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 4h

At least A-Rod didn't wait until the 4th quarter of an NFL playoff game to announce his appeal.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

As far as the Yankees are concerned, this is the true definition of ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION.

sure looks thay way

I have no idea what this last line means

David Waldstein @DavidWaldstein

60 Minutes has a big show this Sunday -- with a double segment on ARod and supposedly some really interesting stuff. A must watch.

two people have told me this 60 Minutes show on ARod is going to be good. Haven't confirmed yet, but Bosch might be on it.

Because of ARod suspension, Yankees will actually get a credit for past luxury tax payments.

EDIT

David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein

Yankees have been paying tax at a rate consistent with ARod's AAV being 27.5 million. Now it's actually more like $25.2 million per year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo

no positive tests

BT a very long read

[/QUOTE]

Zac,

That is was a long read and was well written. Thanks for the link....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

i think that the nyy show have to keep his salary in the tax calcs even if they do not have to pay him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

whats the reason for not upholding the 211 game suspension?

[/QUOTE]

Good enough! His career is over! Yay!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The union, for its part, "strongly disagrees" with the season-long ban but, importantly, adds, "We recognize that a final and binding decision has been reached, however, and we respect the collectively-bargained arbitration process which led to the decision." In other words, the Players Association will not be aiding Rodriguez in his court challenge, rendering its aforementioned strong disagreement as little more than pro forma posturing. Rodriguez will have only his own considerable resources to use for his fight in federal court.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140111/alex-rodriguez-suspended-162-games/#ixzz2q8vF0Qvq

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

POSTED JANUARY 11, 2014 Alex Rodriguez’s full statement after being suspended for 162 games ALEX RODRIGUEZ BY  TED KEITH 

Below is the full text of Alex Rodriguez’s statement after arbitrator Frederic Horowitz reduced his suspension from 211 games to 162 games, plus the postseason.

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable.

“This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety of defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review. I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it, I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension.

“No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal.”

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

whats the reason for not upholding the 211 game suspension?

[/QUOTE]

One full season to include the post season, along with the loss of his salary for the year. Probably was easier for all parties to agree to (MLB & the union)...w

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo

no positive tests

BT a very long read

[/QUOTE]

Awesome read. Thanks for that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

"I spoke to Shaughnessy recently about the steroid issue. "I've never been an investigative reporter," he said. "I'm not really interested in that. It's not what I got into this for." Grantland via Zac's link

DS! sad, sad man

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"I spoke to Shaughnessy recently about the steroid issue. "I've never been an investigative reporter," he said. "I'm not really interested in that. It's not what I got into this for." Grantland via Zac's link

DS! sad, sad man

[/QUOTE]

Funny he doesn't seem to have a problem with diggin for dirt and writing columns with quotes from un-named sources trying to stir up controversy...but when faced with real news turned a blind eye and coped out. just another example of why I stopped reading his gossip column 20 years ago...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What to do when you hate ARod and hate the EE?  I was hoping for a 1/2 year.  that punishes ARod while greatly inconveniencing the NYY.  162 games is like a reward to the NYY.

[/QUOTE]

This^^. It not only takes away his salary, it gives them the funds, just in time I might add, to go after Tanaka. What a coincidence.