ARod to Mariners?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: ARod to Mariners?

i hear ya southy.  but living down here it just makes it that much better to twist the knife if he still is clogging a roster spot with ineptness.  the payroll argument is almost moot as they have been far and away the biggest spender$ for so long.  what's another $20MM per year?  they print money....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I would be happy to have Ichiro play RF for the Sox and Chavez as a lefthanded DH. They could "rake"  for the Sox. I don't doubt Ortiz would have some big hits against the Sox. Who cares--at some point you have to cut the cord--JH and LL will not let Ortiz walk.

I'm thinking the Sox and Yankees may have finally realized that offering every big name player a huge long term contract really isn't worth it these days.  You rarely get the return on your investment.  ARod in my opinion needs to go for the Yankees to get back on the right track.  Not making the playoffs is horrible but being swept in the ALCS because your big salaried guys don't contribute isn't much better.

Both our clubs need pitching and more clutch hitting.  The Yankees at least have us beat choosing right role players that can get them to the PS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'll start the rumor.

A-Rod ot the Cubs.  Soriano to the Yankees.

Who would have thought Soriano would be outlasting A-Rod when that deal originally went down?

(I get the Cubs would NEVER make this trade.  As much as thy want to dump Soriano, it is primarily for salry relief.  And after this past season, Soriano has actually finally become semi-marketable and is borderline desirable in a trade.   Please, Ben Cherington, avoid any and all temptations regarding Soriano.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I'll start the rumor.

A-Rod ot the Cubs.  Soriano to the Yankees.

Who would have thought Soriano would be outlasting A-Rod when that deal originally went down?

(I get the Cubs would NEVER make this trade.  As much as thy want to dump Soriano, it is primarily for salry relief.  And after this past season, Soriano has actually finally become semi-marketable and is borderline desirable in a trade.   Please, Ben Cherington, avoid any and all temptations regarding Soriano.)

I agree notin, Soriano isn't a guy we need.  Ben "finally" has a fresh start to show us what he can do as GM and it shouldn't begin with washed up and rehabbed projects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Both our clubs need pitching and more clutch hitting.  The Yankees at least have us beat choosing right role players that can get them to the PS.

As a side note, the World Series has not featured a team from the East Division of either league since 2009.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

An American League scout suggested to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that no teams would be interested in Alex Rodriguez, who’s owed $114MM plus bonuses over the course of the next five years (Twitter link).

..............................................................................................................................

I think there will certainly be interest," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson to Arizona Sport 620's Burns & Gambo when asked if the team has trade interest in Alex Rodriguez. The D'Backs are said to be seeking a third baseman, and GMs Kevin Towers and Brian Cashman worked together in the Yankees' front office in 2010.

The Diamondbacks do have a thirdbaseman in Chris Johnson.  Is A-Rod even an upgrade at this point?  And considering even if the Yankees ate $90mill of the money owed to A-Rod, he would still be pricier than Johnson, and probably not as good going forward.

Johnson is a line drive machine who rarely strikes out or hits infield pop ups.  He was the guy in Houston who got pitched around, so his numbers are a little on the light side. But when he got to Arizona, he stated hitting the ball hard again.  He's no Mike Schmidt, but he certainly has some promise going forward.  

Very doubtful Kevin Towers, whose claim to fame is his ability to find productive, undervalued scrap heap pitching talent, suddenly decides his team needs a very overpriced aging and declining  downgrade whose biggerst asset is his ability to get his name in the papers.  Despite all the stories, A-Rod will be a Yankee next year.  It's one thing to pay a guy $10-15mill to play elsewhre for a couple of years, but paying $90mill to get rid of A-Rod, plus whatever it costs to replace him, sis simply not worth it even to the Yankees.

Plus, the Yankees signed A-Rod to break the all time HR record, and have bonuses in his cotnract for milestone HRs.  Do they really want to pay him to break the record elsewhere?  This whole contract was all about marketing and PR, after all...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:

Believe it or not, there is a depletion allowance for a teams' ballplayers in the accounting procedures for major league baseball teams. In the case of ARod it should come in handy. I wonder if it can be accelerated based on his recent non-performance. We definitely have a Rolls-Royce that needs to be taken off the road years before we expected to.

Yonk, 

Not sure if I can take you seriously but any team taking Arod is getting a player well past his prime going on 37 with also 19 years of wear and tear. Who in their right mind wants to saddle a team with an over the hill injury prone player until he's 41 years old at 23-24mil a year. Even if the Yankees ate 80% of his salary any team taking Arod would have to be insane. Unlike Papi, Arod's skills will most likely continue to decline and someone's going to be stuck with possibly 4-5mil, still a waste of salary.

As for Arizona, you're correct. Chris Johnson is a very able third baseman at only 28 years old. I don't see Arod going any where except NYC next year and the Boneyard for old pathetic & washed up head cases shortly thereafter.  

Hetch  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

As a side note, the World Series has not featured a team from the East Division of either league since 2009.

Very true hill,

Good role players can help you make the playoffs through unjuries and slumps but they are still role players you rarely expect a great deal from. 

The Yanks have made better choices in this area but it still won't get you far in the playoffs with guys like Tex, Cano, Granderson and ARod contributing.

Sections
Shortcuts