Arrives at Spring Training in the worst shape of his career!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Arrives at Spring Training in the worst shape of his career!

parhunter55 buys into Doubrant out-of-shape story.

;-)  Just kidding mate!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Arrives at Spring Training in the worst shape of his career!

Actually, just saw this post.  I think sonicsmonks is hilarious...the post, the icon, the tie-in, everything. 

And no, I didn't post and run.  Just had a slightly more pressing problem to deal with.  Defending myself against attacks by Selenium is not high on my priority list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

once again pike, this is not an issue of injury, it is an issue of work ethic.

the 2 are likely unrelated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

you still never answered my question on the selenium thread triumph...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

My guess is that many pitchers show up at Spring Training with weak shoulders and arms. That is why they start out with short toss and work their way up. That's one reason why they have Spring Training. 

There was no info. in the media anout his work ethic. 

Well this isn't really true. Pitchers typically talk about their offseason throwing program, specifically so they don't start camp with weak shoulders.

I don't know what Felix does or doesn't do in the offseason, nor do I know how good of shape his is in this year. But he blew a chance to play a role in the 2011 season because that year he did go to camp not in shape, something that has been reported.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....jeez, I start a thread mocking the media's "good news" stories and gently teasing par, and what do I get?  A full page of uber troll Pike's rantings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

My guess is that many pitchers show up at Spring Training with weak shoulders and arms. That is why they start out with short toss and work their way up. That's one reason why they have Spring Training. 

There was no info. in the media anout his work ethic.

Well this isn't really true. Pitchers typically talk about their offseason throwing program, specifically so they don't start camp with weak shoulders.

I don't know what Felix does or doesn't do in the offseason, nor do I know how good of shape his is in this year. But he blew a chance to play a role in the 2011 season because that year he did go to camp not in shape, something that has been reported.

Can you imagine the flack that El Guapo or David Wells or Greg Luzinski would catch here. This is a tough gang here. Ever ready to pounce on their team's players at the slightest bad news. Great to be A Sox fan right. What a shame that my grandfather could never go to an Internet forum and bash his team on a daily basis. He missed out on so much fun. Roy, what happened to the joy of the fan?

Seriously -- are you talking to me??????????????

There's a difference between bashing and being critical. The fact that Felix wasn't in shape in 2011 is well-documented and it did hurt the team. I can be very critical of a young player for that. You can be a fan and be critical at a player or the team when warrented.

I never said Felix wasn't in shape this year -- so I was hardly bashing him for that. I don't know how good of shape he is in, although Cherington has admitted that Felix is a little overweight and it is something they have talked to him about. However, I'm not like so many posters on this board who equate weight with being in shape. I know plenty of guys who look a bit heavy but are in better shape than slim guys. A visual look at a player to determine how in shape a player is or isn't is ridiculous. So I careless how a player looks, especially a pitcher, if he can get the job done.

Felix still has a lot to prove in that regard.

My comment on my previous post was based on the eronious statement that pitchers come to camp with weak shoulders. As stated, pitchers have offseason throwing programs to prevent them coming to camp with weak shoulders. Of course, they still have to build up strength over camp, which is why they report early and why they need six weeks of spring training, while position players probably need half that.

And I never said Felix followed or didn't follow his program.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What a shame that my grandfather could never go to an Internet forum and bash his team on a daily basis.

Yeah, your grandfather's generation never bashed the players. I guess fans weren't "booing" Ted Williams back in the day. They were anticipating the arrival of Kevin Youkilas and were simply yelling "Boo."

I guess somebody should have told Williams that so he could have taken out the ear plugs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What a shame that my grandfather could never go to an Internet forum and bash his team on a daily basis.

Yeah, your grandfather's generation never bashed the players. I guess fans weren't "booing" Ted Williams back in the day. They were anticipating the arrival of Kevin Youkilas and were simply yelling "Boo."

I guess somebody should have told Williams that so he could have taken out the ear plugs.

At least the boo-birds that dogged Williams for most of his home career did it in person rather than hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i remember Yaz being boo'd mercilously...

YAZ!!!

how wrong was that? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

YAZ!!!

how wrong was that? 

Me too.

I learned at a young age that there were all types of "fans."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

At least the boo-birds that dogged Williams for most of his home career did it in person rather than hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.....

They hid anonymously as part of a "mob."

Really no difference.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

parhunter55 buys into Doubrant out-of-shape story.

;-)  Just kidding mate!

Working hard/showing up to spring training in good condition seperates the men from the boys.  It's natural to be a little rusty but there is no excuse for this, especially from a youngster who is fighting to stay in the rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

CC Sabathia is so fat but he pitches so well.  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

CC Sabbathia is a poor example of an athlete....he is simply a freak of nature - like those 300lb tackles in the NFL that can outrun running backs...

one day his knee will explode from the sheer weight of his frame...it is just a matter of time

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

FWIW Pedro plans on getting in Felix' ear about the importance of offseason conditioning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

CC Sabbathia is a poor example of an athlete....he is simply a freak of nature - like those 300lb tackles in the NFL that can outrun running backs...

one day his knee will explode from the sheer weight of his frame...it is just a matter of time

Of course, people have been saying this for years, and he has been one of the most reliable workshorses in baseball the entire time.  I gave up that argument years ago.

Might eventually catch up with him.  Maybe it is now.  But, he is a case study in how a pitcher can balance Fat with proper mechanics/leg drive, lower body strength and get away with it.

You look at Sabathia and you can see how it can work.  Great, fluid delivery and he has the haunches and thighs of a greek god (under a little decidely un-greek-god flab).

Very different from, say, Beckett, who carried that gut weight around, but had much less lower-body strength (I am guessing from his average Joe legs and how saggy his pants always look in uniform).  His mechanics also nowhere near as good as Sabathia's.  Eventually, every year, his lower back would, no surprise, tighten up, and he would either start coming out of his mechanics and "throwing" (enter Home Run Beckett) or go doen with some version of ankle, kneww, back injury.

This is different from the Sabathia/Wells/Tiant model.  Those guys were able to carry the weight.  

CC is a freak of nature, yes.  But I am not sure it will catch up with him necessarily.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

FWIW Pedro plans on getting in Felix' ear about the importance of offseason conditioning.

First test of Pedro's role as 'special assistant' is a good one.  If he can bring the best out of Felix and Rubby, that will be huge.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Parhunter like ADG and Georom start threads like this and disappear. Mission accomplished. It is no wonder that the forum is dying.

Many baseball fans are watching basketball or hockey at this time of year.  I don't post much on this forum during the winter months.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

First test of Pedro's role as 'special assistant' is a good one.  If he can bring the best out of Felix and Rubby, that will be huge.

I agree.
    Wouldn't hurt to give Lester a little talking to as well.

Battle with the hitter, not the ump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

YAZ!!!

how wrong was that? 

Me too.

So are you saying that the only "real fans" are the ones that either cheer or sit in silence when their team is not making a good effort to win a game? Sorry. Booing is as old as the hills and is part of the game. Players who do not make an effort or otherwise misbehave deserve to be booed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

YAZ!!!

how wrong was that? 

Me too.

So are you saying that the only "real fans" are the ones that either cheer or sit in silence when their team is not making a good effort to win a game? Sorry. Booing is as old as the hills and is part of the game. Players who do not make an effort or otherwise misbehave deserve to be booed.

I don't think that was his point. I never remember Yaz giving less than his full effort. And while I never got to see the splendid splinter play my dad and granddad both said he left it on the field every day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

YAZ!!!

how wrong was that? 

Me too.

I never said that. That's kind of bush league to twist someone's post to start an argument.

Actually, I don't have a problem with booing a poor effort or for misbehaving. Neither was the case for Yastrzemski.

In Yaz's case, he was giving full effort. The results weren't there (this was '71, '72) because he was playing with a bad wrist that prevented him from hitting with power for nearly a year -- late '71 through 'late '72.

I don't have a problem with booing or being critical of players. But there's a difference between honest criticism and mindless bashing, and if you can't see the difference, well  ... (I'll just leave it here).

Sections
Shortcuts