As a HUGE JBJ fan, I must admit that it's getting close to that time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: As a HUGE JBJ fan, I must admit that it's getting close to that time?

A better question is w.t.f. Bradley has to do with Mike Aviles...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

A better question is w.t.f. Bradley has to do with Mike Aviles...

I scratched my head at that too. but honestly, I just let it lie because he might actually answer me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Red Sox fan "Bradley is struggling"

Softlaw " Mike Aviles was not a good SS"

Red Sox Fan " uhh.  Anyway I really think Bradley will be a good player but he is being rushed for no good reason, he probably needs a little more time in the minors"

Softlaw " Iggy is better than Drew"

Red Sox Fan " Can you actually hear me? I am saying things to you and you just keep responding on a totally different topic"

Softlaw " Obamacare, I love Bill, Mental midget, Premium guy"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Red Sox Fan " uhh.  Anyway I really think Bradley will be a good player but he is being rushed for no good reason, he probably needs a little more time in the minors"

Red Sox Fan " Can you actually hear me? I am saying things to you and you just keep responding on a totally different topic"

ha! I actually did laugh out loud...Thanks snake +1

scary thing is, this is pretty accurate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't want to be that guy that said "I told you so"...because I truly believe that JBJ is going to be something special.  But can we please please please learn something from this.

First off, development is essential and there is a ladder to climb for a reason.  Secondly spring training stats truly are close to meaningless, they aren't completely useless but they are close to it.

I hope they send JBJ back down and maybe he can get another cup of coffee in August, with an eye on a permenant assignment in Boston come 2014. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Only a BDC vet can truly appreciate this post....thank you 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Only a BDC vet can truly appreciate this post....thank you 

Funny, because it's true...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley looks terrible! My hope is that he makes it back to the majors and does as well as Mike Aviles. S. Drew looks great, and so does Gomes and Nava. Since going to Gomes and Nava, the team is starting to win more games. 8 MLB games shows how spring training is meaningless. After 8 games, it's clear Bradley isn't MLB material. He's overmatched, even though he's hitting at the bottom of the lineup. Very costly to use him instead of Nava and Gomes, earlier in the season.

+1

Can't you admit he is struggling without making a fool of yourself?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I'm in agreement that he will be the CF'er of the future. Spring training is one thing but now when the games count he is going up against the team's best pitching. I can see he looks uncomfortable and I brlieve he needs time at AAA not so much for team control but to adjust to the big league. I remember Curt Schilling saying something on baseball tonight that it was possible for him to start out 3 for 30. nothing to be ashamed of. He needs more time to be exposed to pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Uhhhhh... Wakefield?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I'd rather have him go down soon than have started him at Triple A to begin with. Without Ortiz the team needed to have JR up here.... also he can see for himslef how hard it is and that he needs more work. I would just as soon keep him up here playing everyday until Ortiz returns though, unless of course Oritiz isn't coming back soon to which case the team had better find a LF not named Gomes.... 

Good post, Burr.

Guys, lets not use revisionist history here.

Papi was hurt, JBJ had a great spring.  It was an easy decision to start the year with the big club.  Worst case scenario, he struggles, and we send him down once Papi returns.

Guess what: worst case scenario came to fruition, and we're alright.  I would probably keep him up even after Papi returns if Nava wasnt so hot.  Bradley didnt lose the job, as far as Im concerned, Nava won it.  If Nava goes into a multi-month funk (like he's been prone to), we can and will call Bradley back up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I'd rather have him go down soon than have started him at Triple A to begin with. Without Ortiz the team needed to have JR up here.... also he can see for himslef how hard it is and that he needs more work. I would just as soon keep him up here playing everyday until Ortiz returns though, unless of course Oritiz isn't coming back soon to which case the team had better find a LF not named Gomes.... 

Good post, Burr.

Papi was hurt, JBJ had a great spring.  It was an easy decision to start the year with the big club.  Worst case scenario, he struggles, and we send him down once Papi returns.

Guess what: worst case scenario came to fruition, and we're alright.  I would probably keep him up even after Papi returns if Nava wasnt so hot.  Bradley didnt lose the job, as far as Im concerned, Nava won it.  If Nava goes into a multi-month funk (like he's been prone to), we can and will call Bradley back up.

I think it is fine he started the year with the REd Sox, I think it would be fine if he stayed with the Red sox.

What isn't fine is judging everything by Spring Training games and thinking that success in ST translates into succes in the big leagues.

That's ridiculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Good post, Burr.

I think it is fine he started the year with the REd Sox, I think it would be fine if he stayed with the Red sox.

What isn't fine is judging everything by Spring Training games and thinking that success in ST translates into succes in the big leagues.

That's ridiculous.

Yeah, but success in the big leagues doesnt translate to sucess in the big leagues.  Take Barry Zito for example.

He proved during the spring that he was our best option.  Of course this doesnt mean that we need to annoint him our LF of the present, and keep him up through the ups and downs.  

However, just becasue the correlation between spring success and regular season success isnt 1:1 , doesnt mean that spring stats are completely useless.

Becasue of his spring, he deserved the right to start the season in Bos.  Of course, Bos reserves the right to reasses if the hot spring doesnt carry into the season.

This doesnt mean though ,that the people saying keep him down get to say I told you so.  Which was a point that Burrito nailed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Now rather than the team losing games with Lester/Buch pitching 8-7 we will lose them 3-1.

The reason managment went with S. Drew was to get the slugging at SS, like tonight. When the pitching is good enought to game the team in the game. S. Drew is the difference maker.

I like how this team will look, once Bradley joings Iglesias for critical minor league ball remedial work. With Ortiz and S. Drew, this team will be one of the most feared lineups in all of baseball. You have a superstart in Ellsbury, the 2011 AL MVP, and you have Pedroia, former AL MPV, then you have Shane, an All-Star, and Ortiz, the best hitter in all of MLB, last year. You have Napoli, who is probably the greatest right handed slugger v LP in history, and you have the young and 3 HR in one game talent in Middlebrooks. You follow that up with Salty, who hit over 20 HR's last year, and then you have the best LF combination in all of MLB in Nava and Gomes. You top that off with All-Star SS S. Drew, and you have a lineup that intimidates other teams.

The best part is how well these guys love each other, in the clubhouse. S. Drew gave them a huge lift, and Ortiz will increase the winning % even more!

I'm excited how the fans love and embrace S. Drew and the new energy Red Sox.

Drew had more hits and less errors than Bradley last two games but keeping embarsing your inter fool.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Never thought he should be brought up so quickly. Good player that still needs to develop.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

To admit that those who were saying he should not be brought up to start out the year with the big club, may have been right???  Sure!  It's still a small sample, but teams have certainly done their scouting.  He can't seem to get on the high inside cheese, and that inside slider & curveball have him flailing.  He looks lost at the plate.  Tough start!  Let's hope he gets it rolling. 

The good news?  I still love Nava! 

I have to agree, Bradley Jr. isn't helping our cause offensively and has struggled a bit in the field.  He should be sent down for more mentoring at the AAA level.  A lot of our players are struggling offensively and the team lacks power which is why this is going to be a close division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

To admit that those who were saying he should not be brought up to start out the year with the big club, may have been right???  Sure!  It's still a small sample, but teams have certainly done their scouting.  He can't seem to get on the high inside cheese, and that inside slider & curveball have him flailing.  He looks lost at the plate.  Tough start!  Let's hope he gets it rolling. 

The good news?  I still love Nava! 

I have to agree, Bradley Jr. isn't helping our cause offensively and has struggled a bit in the field.  He should be sent down for more mentoring at the AAA level.  A lot of our players are struggling offensively and the team lacks power which is why this is going to be a close division.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

That's ridiculous.

Well said, his 8 games in the big leagues has translated into failure. It's OK if he goes up, and it's OK if he goes down. I'm OK, you're OK.

All those people who said Bradley's spring meant he would have the same BA and OBP after 8 games in the majors.

After 8 games in the majors, it's ridiculous the way people claimed Bradley's spring training meant he would be that kind of hitter in the majors.

Counselor, howoever you want to twist it with your weirdo half-sarcastic oblique double-speak, Jackie has holes in his swing.  Period.  Pitchers are eating him up.  This was to be expected of course, as Jackie had problems with AA pitching, never mind big league pitching.  

Doesn't mean he didn't earn his place on the big club with a giant statement Spring Training.  Doesn't mean his defense isn't top notch, his plate discipline very nice, and his attitude and approach par excellence.

But it does mean exactly what you spent all ST laughing at me for saying: JBJ can barely hit AA, why would he hit MLB?  

He is going to great.  Might even be really good this very year.

Could use some more work at a level where he can work on problem areas without having to focus on results.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Barrister, well articulated. His 8 games in the majors have exposed a hole in his swing. Once he returns to the minors for mentoring, he'll get rid of that hole in his swing and get his shot to join his former Red Sox teammates who don't have holes in their swings.

Glad you understand the situation.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes, I'm glad, too. And saving that year of control is just a huge bonus. The position players on this active roster don't have holes in their swings, which is evident after 8 games. Once Bradley learns to get rid of that hole in his swing, he'll return and get his shot to hit like the current Red Sox players who don't have any holes in their swings. 

OK.  You think you are championing the kid. I think you are selling Jackie Bradley way short.

Fine.  Gomes can't hit righties.  Granted.  But unlike you, I do not compare Jackie Bradley Jr. to Jonny Gomes or Daniel Nava for that matter.  Nava is a ham and egger who has exceeded his talent to get where he is, a feel good story, but he is just a bench guy.  I see no future with nava.  Gomes is a platoon guy with a good attitude.  But he is not the future.

Jackie Bradley IS the future.  And, as such, I want to see him develop as quickly as possible, as fully as possible.  I assume you would agree with this notion.  Now, if you tell me the best way for him to develop as quickly and fully as possible is by staying with the big club trial by fire -  Fine.  I can't be positive that this is wrong, but i am pretty sure that the best course of action for speedy and full development of JBJ as a hitter is to send him down.  

And, yes, the retained control year in this course of action is a huge bonus.  Why?  Because Jackie Bradley Junior IS the future.  You sell him way short with your short-sighted here and now approach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's not just the fact that he hasn't hit.....it's that he HASN"T HIT.  He hasn't even made an out that has gone out of the outfield in a WEEK. 

But of course Softlaw will find any angle, no matter how small, to deny being wrong. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts