As a HUGE JBJ fan, I must admit that it's getting close to that time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: As a HUGE JBJ fan, I must admit that it's getting close to that time?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The poster from Cambodia has a novel idea. You let Bradley, Jr. learn to hit MLB pitching in the majors, by making adjustments after his 8 games. That would cost a critical year of control, though, so I don't believe that's the plan.

The good news is that Gomes and Nava are all set for next season, if Bradley can't fix a hole where the rain comes in during those 8 games he hasn't hit a ball past the pitcher. All his balls are topped weakly. What he can do is learn from Drew, to use his legs and drive the ball into the gaps.

Silly boy.  Always making arguments uo that don't exist or are the exact opposite of what somebody is really saying.  No one really wants Nava/Gomes in 2014.  And in any case, since you are right about Ellsbury being done in Boston after this year, it is a stupid comaprison because JBJ will playing centerfield in 2014.  And THAT, my dear boy, is exactly why you send Bradley down.  So that it is Jackie Bradley all day in 2014.  

Fine, like I said, it is within the realm of conceivability that Bradley could "learn to hit MLB pitching in the majors".  But, I think the quicker route, and the better for both Jackie and the Red Sox, is for him to get some work in the minors for a minute.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I'd rather have him go down soon than have started him at Triple A to begin with. Without Ortiz the team needed to have JR up here.... also he can see for himslef how hard it is and that he needs more work. I would just as soon keep him up here playing everyday until Ortiz returns though, unless of course Oritiz isn't coming back soon to which case the team had better find a LF not named Gomes.... 

Good post, Burr.

Guys, lets not use revisionist history here.

Papi was hurt, JBJ had a great spring.  It was an easy decision to start the year with the big club.  Worst case scenario, he struggles, and we send him down once Papi returns.

Guess what: worst case scenario came to fruition, and we're alright.  I would probably keep him up even after Papi returns if Nava wasnt so hot.  Bradley didnt lose the job, as far as Im concerned, Nava won it.  If Nava goes into a multi-month funk (like he's been prone to), we can and will call Bradley back up.

I think it is fine he started the year with the REd Sox, I think it would be fine if he stayed with the Red sox.

What isn't fine is judging everything by Spring Training games and thinking that success in ST translates into succes in the big leagues.

That's ridiculous.

Yeah, but success in the big leagues doesnt translate to sucess in the big leagues.  Take Barry Zito for example.

He proved during the spring that he was our best option.  Of course this doesnt mean that we need to annoint him our LF of the present, and keep him up through the ups and downs.  

However, just becasue the correlation between spring success and regular season success isnt 1:1 , doesnt mean that spring stats are completely useless.

Becasue of his spring, he deserved the right to start the season in Bos.  Of course, Bos reserves the right to reasses if the hot spring doesnt carry into the season.

This doesnt mean though ,that the people saying keep him down get to say I told you so.  Which was a point that Burrito nailed.

I agree he deserved to start the season in Boston. What I don't get is all the hysteria around it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

What isn't fine is judging everything by Spring Training games and thinking that success in ST translates into succes in the big leagues.

That's ridiculous.

Well said, his 8 games in the big leagues has translated into failure. It's OK if he goes up, and it's OK if he goes down. I'm OK, you're OK.

All those people who said Bradley's spring meant he would have the same BA and OBP after 8 games in the majors.

After 8 games in the majors, it's ridiculous the way people claimed Bradley's spring training meant he would be that kind of hitter in the majors.

No it hasn't.

bradley isn't a failure, and he isn't a hero.

He is a young talented player who hit 270 in AA last year.

Relax friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Yes, I'm glad, too. And saving that year of control is just a huge bonus. The position players on this active roster don't have holes in their swings, which is evident after 8 games. Once Bradley learns to get rid of that hole in his swing, he'll return and get his shot to hit like the current Red Sox players who don't have any holes in their swings. 

OK.  You think you are championing the kid. I think you are selling Jackie Bradley way short.

Fine.  Gomes can't hit righties.  Granted.  But unlike you, I do not compare Jackie Bradley Jr. to Jonny Gomes or Daniel Nava for that matter.  Nava is a ham and egger who has exceeded his talent to get where he is, a feel good story, but he is just a bench guy.  I see no future with nava.  Gomes is a platoon guy with a good attitude.  But he is not the future.

Jackie Bradley IS the future.  And, as such, I want to see him develop as quickly as possible, as fully as possible.  I assume you would agree with this notion.  Now, if you tell me the best way for him to develop as quickly and fully as possible is by staying with the big club trial by fire -  Fine.  I can't be positive that this is wrong, but i am pretty sure that the best course of action for speedy and full development of JBJ as a hitter is to send him down.  

And, yes, the retained control year in this course of action is a huge bonus.  Why?  Because Jackie Bradley Junior IS the future.  You sell him way short with your short-sighted here and now approach.

Space, you are a great poster, but you are way overrating the importance of where Bradley plays on April 12.

This is what governs Bradley's peak and how fast he gets there:

1.  Bradley's make up (his work ethic, drive, motivation.  Does he have that chip on his shoulder that will cause him to study film?  Put in time in the weight room?...)

2. Bradley's talent (power, speed, body type...)

3. Dumb luck (freak accidents can ruin careers.  Unlucky inuries can set guys back.)

4. (Way down on the list): the things that the Red Sox control (where he plays on 4/12).

This is why I disagree w/ the "we should play the kids".  To be honest, major league at-bats, major league experience is very overvalued.  The player that Jackie Bradley will become (and when he becomes that player) have more to do w/ Jackie Bradley then where the Red Sox play him in APril of 2013.  He should be up here if he is helping us win, down in Pawtucket when he is not.

Personally, I think he should be sent down when Papi returns, but not until he fixes the holes in his swing.  If he's the best candidate to play here, he should.  He should be in Pawtucket until he is the best candidate to play in the MLB.  He should be in Pawtucket until Nava cools off.

Right now , Nava is too hot to bench.  I dont think this will last all season (Nava always comes in w/ a bang, then fades).  When Nava inevitably fades, that should be when we call Bradley back up.

The additional development that Bradley will have playing in AAA over the development that he will have in the majors is so marginal/incremental.  ITs not worth losing games over.

Field the best team possible.  Right now, that doesnt include Bradley.  Once Nava cools down, it will.

Im a big fan of riding the hot bat.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'd rather have him go down soon than have started him at Triple A to begin with. Without Ortiz the team needed to have JR up here.... also he can see for himslef how hard it is and that he needs more work. I would just as soon keep him up here playing everyday until Ortiz returns though, unless of course Oritiz isn't coming back soon to which case the team had better find a LF not named Gomes.... 

Good post, Burr.

Papi was hurt, JBJ had a great spring.  It was an easy decision to start the year with the big club.  Worst case scenario, he struggles, and we send him down once Papi returns.

Guess what: worst case scenario came to fruition, and we're alright.  I would probably keep him up even after Papi returns if Nava wasnt so hot.  Bradley didnt lose the job, as far as Im concerned, Nava won it.  If Nava goes into a multi-month funk (like he's been prone to), we can and will call Bradley back up.

I think it is fine he started the year with the REd Sox, I think it would be fine if he stayed with the Red sox.

That's ridiculous.

Yeah, but success in the big leagues doesnt translate to sucess in the big leagues.  Take Barry Zito for example.

He proved during the spring that he was our best option.  Of course this doesnt mean that we need to annoint him our LF of the present, and keep him up through the ups and downs.  

However, just becasue the correlation between spring success and regular season success isnt 1:1 , doesnt mean that spring stats are completely useless.

Becasue of his spring, he deserved the right to start the season in Bos.  Of course, Bos reserves the right to reasses if the hot spring doesnt carry into the season.

This doesnt mean though ,that the people saying keep him down get to say I told you so.  Which was a point that Burrito nailed.

I agree he deserved to start the season in Boston. What I don't get is all the hysteria around it.

The hysteria was because after two dreadful seasons, we were looking for something to get excited about.

Personally, Im more excited about Buchholz. He looks like Jered Weaver circa 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes, I'm glad, too. And saving that year of control is just a huge bonus. The position players on this active roster don't have holes in their swings, which is evident after 8 games. Once Bradley learns to get rid of that hole in his swing, he'll return and get his shot to hit like the current Red Sox players who don't have any holes in their swings. 

OK.  You think you are championing the kid. I think you are selling Jackie Bradley way short.

Fine.  Gomes can't hit righties.  Granted.  But unlike you, I do not compare Jackie Bradley Jr. to Jonny Gomes or Daniel Nava for that matter.  Nava is a ham and egger who has exceeded his talent to get where he is, a feel good story, but he is just a bench guy.  I see no future with nava.  Gomes is a platoon guy with a good attitude.  But he is not the future.

Jackie Bradley IS the future.  And, as such, I want to see him develop as quickly as possible, as fully as possible.  I assume you would agree with this notion.  Now, if you tell me the best way for him to develop as quickly and fully as possible is by staying with the big club trial by fire -  Fine.  I can't be positive that this is wrong, but i am pretty sure that the best course of action for speedy and full development of JBJ as a hitter is to send him down.  

And, yes, the retained control year in this course of action is a huge bonus.  Why?  Because Jackie Bradley Junior IS the future.  You sell him way short with your short-sighted here and now approach.

Space, you are a great poster, but you are way overrating the importance of where Bradley plays on April 12.

This is what governs Bradley's peak and how fast he gets there:

1.  Bradley's make up (his work ethic, drive, motivation.  Does he have that chip on his shoulder that will cause him to study film?  Put in time in the weight room?...)

2. Bradley's talent (power, speed, body type...)

3. Dumb luck (freak accidents can ruin careers.  Unlucky inuries can set guys back.)

4. (Way down on the list): the things that the Red Sox control (where he plays on 4/12).

This is why I disagree w/ the "we should play the kids".  To be honest, major league at-bats, major league experience is very overvalued.  The player that Jackie Bradley will become (and when he becomes that player) have more to do w/ Jackie Bradley then where the Red Sox play him in APril of 2013.  He should be up here if he is helping us win, down in Pawtucket when he is not.

Personally, I think he should be sent down when Papi returns, but not until he fixes the holes in his swing.  If he's the best candidate to play here, he should.  He should be in Pawtucket until he is the best candidate to play in the MLB.  He should be in Pawtucket until Nava cools off.

Right now , Nava is too hot to bench.  I dont think this will last all season (Nava always comes in w/ a bang, then fades).  When Nava inevitably fades, that should be when we call Bradley back up.

The additional development that Bradley will have playing in AAA over the development that he will have in the majors is so marginal/incremental.  ITs not worth losing games over.

Field the best team possible.  Right now, that doesnt include Bradley.  Once Nava cools down, it will.

Im a big fan of riding the hot bat.  

Wait, I am confused as to whether you misread my position, or Softy has everyone using quasi-sarcasm ... I agree fully with your take and thought I stated that clearly in teh post you are responding to (though not nearly as well-thought out as you have done here) ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Good post, Burr.

That's ridiculous.

The hysteria was because after two dreadful seasons, we were looking for something to get excited about.

Personally, Im more excited about Buchholz. He looks like Jered Weaver circa 2010.

Buch and Lester look awesome.

I like Bradley. I just hate hysterical groupthink.

I think the guy is going to be Coco Crsip on offense but better on D.

A nice player but not anyone that is going to make or break a team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I like Bradley. I just hate hysterical groupthink.

I think the guy is going to be Coco Crsip on offense but better on D.

A nice player but not anyone that is going to make or break a team.

Same here....Thats why I dislike Reddick.  Its unfair to Reddick, but I'm so fed up with the:

"OMG.  How could we have let this guy go?"  ...That I now dislike Reddick himself.

He's a .240 hitter w/ streaky power.  He was batting eigth when the 2012 season ended.  He hit .200 after the all-star break last year.  Sure, he's a servicable regular on a mid-level team, but he's not a star, and he's certainly not a player worth griping about.  I'd rather have Shane.

And by the way, this is the real reason why Softlaw hates "Ellspuff."  He hated the "Ellsbury is the next Ted Williams" crowd so much, that he started disliking Ellsbury.

I get this.  Do you know why I cant stand Jed Lowrie?  Because people were saying he was the next Pedroia after one good month in teh MLB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Crisp can absolutely make/break team.  I think that he (and Cespedes) are the primary reasons why the As have surprised since early 2012.  I think that Crisp makes his teammates better.  I dont think its Jarrod Parker and his pedestrian BB/K ratio....Or McCarthy and his bum shoulder.

Disclaimer: I freaking love Cocoa Crisp, so I may not be neutral in my assessments....

But Crisp is certainly the leader of that team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Wait, I am confused as to whether you misread my position, or Softy has everyone using quasi-sarcasm ... I agree fully with your take and thought I stated that clearly in teh post you are responding to (though not nearly as well-thought out as you have done here) ...

From your post: I gathered that we should play Bradley where it will be best for Bradley.  I dont think that where Bradley plays has a tremendous effect on his development (just as long as he's playing).  I think he can work out the holes in the minors or in the majors.  Therefore , I think the decision whether Bradley stays in Bos or goes to AAA should be based on whats best for the Sox and not whats best for Bradley.

I dont think this is a bridge year.  I think we should compete for a playoff spot.  Games in April count just as much as games in Sept.  We should field the best possible team.

Right now: I dont think that includes Bradley.  But thats not Bradleys fault.  Its because Nava is hot and Im a firm believer in riding the hot bat.  Eventually Nava will cool off and Bradley will surpass him.  When that happens, Bradley should be called up, even if he still has a couple things he needs to work on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

From your post: I gathered that we should play Bradley where it will be best for Bradley.  I dont think that where Bradley plays has a tremendous effect on his development (just as long as he's playing).  I think he can work out the holes in the minors or in the majors.  Therefore , I think the decision whether Bradley stays in Bos or goes to AAA should be based on whats best for the Sox and not whats best for Bradley.

I dont think this is a bridge year.  I think we should compete for a playoff spot.  Games in April count just as much as games in Sept.  We should field the best possible team.

Right now: I dont think that includes Bradley.  But thats not Bradleys fault.  Its because Nava is hot and Im a firm believer in riding the hot bat.  Eventually Nava will cool off and Bradley will surpass him.  When that happens, Bradley should be called up, even if he still has a couple things he needs to work on.

Yup.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

And in any case, since you are right about Ellsbury being done in Boston after this year, it is a stupid comaprison because JBJ will playing centerfield in 2014

Space, what a coincidence, managment thinks he ready for next year. We'll need to see how the seasoning goes. In the meantime, Gomes and Nava are set to do some serous slugging damage from LF. It's provided a huge lift, on what was a struggling team.

Look, who could be more exciting than S. Drew and Gomes and Nava! At the end of the day, after 8 games, managment had no other choice but to take the two young guys who can't hit the ball out of the infield and get them more seasoning.

Next year, Gomes and Nava are all set, and S. Drew is available for a short term value deal like this year. That's exciting, and why this team is getting better after the first 7 games.

Sarcasm:  Last refuge of the rhetorically defeated.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Rhetoric can't be win or lose. Satire is different than sarcasm. Satire is only possible when convention is idiotic.

Do you think your new approach is satire?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Rhetoric can't be win or lose. Satire is different than sarcasm. Satire is only possible when convention is idiotic.

Do you think your new approach is satire?

I think he is being sarcastic when he said it was satire.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

would posting 800 times about a guy with half a season in AA who is hitting 120 satirical?

I prefer to think of it as manic.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I agree, posting 800 times about why you don't understand the mania over a player with a half a season in AA who is hitting .120 and has an OBP under .100 is manic. Your preference.

Man. I thought it was because I enjoyed making fun of you.

Who knew that I was the one that was manic?

Now I have to take a good hard look at myself.

Thanks for being brave enough to care about me. It means a lot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

That was satire by the way.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Making fun of someone requires both malice and intelligence. I'm glad you don't have the intelligence part and are just having some harmless good natured ribbing fun. You are a good guy, if not a smart guy. 

Softy's comeback. " you aren't smart"

Grade. C-

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You need to come up with something newer than "making fun of you".

Grade F

No way babe.

I am in to the bitter end.

You and me. You pretend you are all upset about something, I come along and pretend I take you seriously.

it's what we do.

Mutual grade A plus.