As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble?

I found it rather interesting this morning on MLB Network Radio's First Pitch this morning when Jim Memelo and Rob Dibble both heartily agreed that:

Most Red Sox fans would rather see the Yankees not make the post season than have the Red Sox lose a game seven WS game.

and

Most Yankee fans would care a lot less about winning it all every year if it didn't drive Red Sox to insanity when the Yankees win.

To a large extent I agree. The very best days during the summer are when the Red Sox win and the Yankees lose, a vise versa day is utterly depressing. Even this year after that horrendous September, I was able to start healing once the Yankees were taken out.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Re: As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble?

Once the Yankees lose its always easier on Red Sox fans.  The Yankees losing to Tigers was the best thing for Sox fans trying to get over the September collapse.  The next big question is to see how Sox fans react if the Sox don't make the playoffs but Theo's Cubs do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't agree.  I think fans of both clubs do indeed feel something akin to victory when the other team loses.  But, i doubt either of the scenarios above are true.  I can only speak for myself as a Sox fan, but, as heartbreaking as a game 7 loss is (and oh how well we know), I would take that every time, no question, over seeing the Yankees not make the post.  In fact, I don't mind if the Yankees make the playoffs.  I rather like it, as this is how it should be.  As long as it is not at our expense.  As far as Yankee fans, I know many of them down here in Gotham, and I really don't think Sox fans' insanity has anything to do with their level of desire for Yankee success.  yes, it is tremendous fun for them to see us crazies get our undies in a bunch over Yankee success, but the notion that they would care less about winning if we didn't act like crazies is, well, crazy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The whole rivalry thing is just a marketing ploy.

If the Red Sox are not AL champs, I can think of about 6 AL teams that I would never support. I have a new dislike for the Orioles, their celebration after knocking the Sox out was childish and very amateur , considering they had been out of the race since early June.

Oakland. I really hate this franchise and the way they are always crying about having to play moneyball. I guess no one lives in California, here I thought it was such a big state, and yet this is a "small market." Boo Hoo.

The Yankees were a lot easier to hate before 2004. Sure they outspend everyone, even us. But look at the results in the 2000's. Looks like Texas began turning their fortunes around when they dumped A-Rod and his big contract on the Yankees and let Texeira go. Now the Yankees have a couple of high priced players performing well, but not anywhere near the expectations when you consider the huge investment.

No , I really don't find myself hating New York as much as I used to. 2004 has somehow made everything good. Let's face it , I'll never live long enough to see 27 rings in Boston....probably will never happen anyway, so why agonize over it? The Yankees will always have a rich history that we will never match. Just have to accept it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble?:
    The whole rivalry thing is just a marketing ploy. If the Red Sox are not AL champs, I can think of about 6 AL teams that I would never support. I have a new dislike for the Orioles, their celebration after knocking the Sox out was childish and very amateur , considering they had been out of the race since early June. Oakland. I really hate this franchise and the way they are always crying about having to play moneyball. I guess no one lives in California, here I thought it was such a big state, and yet this is a "small market." Boo Hoo. The Yankees were a lot easier to hate before 2004. Sure they outspend everyone, even us. But look at the results in the 2000's. Looks like Texas began turning their fortunes around when they dumped A-Rod and his big contract on the Yankees and let Texeira go. Now the Yankees have a couple of high priced players performing well, but not anywhere near the expectations when you consider the huge investment. No , I really don't find myself hating New York as much as I used to. 2004 has somehow made everything good. Let's face it , I'll never live long enough to see 27 rings in Boston....probably will never happen anyway, so why agonize over it? The Yankees will always have a rich history that we will never match. Just have to accept it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

No other team will ever surpass the Yankees in the # of championships in our lifetime.  Unless some franchise is really dominant and manages to win many championships in a few decades,  they still won't surpass the Yankees championships since the Yankees will only keep adding to their # of championships in that time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

I've often rooted for the Cubs over the years because they are the perennial underdog. I would love to see the Cubs do well because their fans deserve to smell the roses after all of the years of mediocrity and heartbreak. I see no reason to root against them now that Theo is in charge, that mentality is for the Theo-haters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble?:
    I've often rooted for the Cubs over the years because they are the perennial underdog. I would love to see the Cubs do well because their fans deserve to smell the roses after all of the years of mediocrity and heartbreak. I see no reason to root against them now that Theo is in charge, that mentality is for the Theo-haters.
    Posted by Rutland76

I definitely agree with you and would really like to see the Cubs finally win the World Series.  It would be great for their fans and the city of Chicago.  Imagine how we would feel if we were still waiting for another World Series championship.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: As a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan; do you agree with Memelo and Dibble? : I definitely agree with you and would really like to see the Cubs finally win the World Series.  It would be great for their fans and the city of Chicago.  Imagine how we would feel if we were still waiting for another World Series championship.  
    Posted by susan250

Exactly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

Yankee Fan's take:

Wasn't SUPRISED the Yankees were out kind of early (IMO, 2009 and 1998-2000 felt like "automatic WS victories)... This year was kind of easier than other years...

"At least we didn't do WHAT THEY DID" was what ran through my mind.

Yanks weren't even really on the National Radar (for a change) due to the Collapase.

Just my take.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As a Yankee fan, let me state that my hatred for the Sox is matched by my hatred for every other AL East club. However, my baseball passion yearns for Sox/Yanks ALCS every year. It is just plain fun.

In the Yankee world, if the Sox were to miss the playoffs for the next couple of years and the Rays were the ones that we were constantly fighting with, the Sox would be temporarily replaced on the most wanted list up until they rejoined the fray. There would be no satisfaction on my part if the Sox did not contend. Although, I would enjoy some of the good natured trash talk. And I would hope if the situations were reversed, most Sox fans would feel the same including the trash talk.

Once the Yanks are out of contention or the playoffs, I have very little regard for baseball. If I have no rooting or betting interest in it, I just don't care.

It is a sport of which adds little to no value to my personal ego. I do not feel better or worse depending on the outcome of play.

What I have enjoyed more is this forum. I thoroughly enjoy most of the conversation, even when I am being attacked for being a Yanke fan on a Sox forum.

Anyway, that is my take on this. As for Memelo and Dibble. I could care less what they think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The rivalry is fun. It is fun for the fans of the two teams and it attracts casual fans and fans of other teams too. When it is on, it is some of the best drama in sports.

The radio guys takes seem pretty silly to me. The idea that fans of any team don't care about winning except that it bugs another team's fans is far fetched.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In terms of the Cubbies, I have always liked them, just not anywhere as much as the Red Sox, and would love for them to win it all in my lifetime, whether Theo or Joe Schmo is the President. just not if the Red Sox are the AL Team

And the more I think about it, Memelo and Dibble's contention does seem far fetched. The Red Sox-Yankee rivalry is without question in my mind the greatest in all of sports.

Sections
Shortcuts