As DAD would say..... "SON, a CLOSER is overrated" !!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As DAD would say..... "SON, a CLOSER is overrated" !!!!

Availability on a given day, with mix & match as needed......... That way, everyone is on their toes & opportunity prevails for all !!!!!   >RESPECT

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: As DAD would say.....

Tell that to the Yankees and Mariano and the Red Sox with out Paps. Johnson in Balt 26 saves, As well as any other team who has a closer who does well or does not.

Do you think the Rays would love to have last years Rodney?

Where would the NYYs be without the 24 saves in 38 Wins or Balt with 26 in 41 games

A good closer can make your season a mediocre one can ruin it

Some can handle it some can not.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Availability on a given day, with mix & match as needed......... That way, everyone is on their toes & opportunity prevails for all !!!!!   >RESPECT

As DAD would say overated except if he was that Yankee closer guy ! I think your brain has to be mixed and matched.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In theory, I do not disagree Bill.  However, all I have to say is ... 2003.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Nothing deflates a team faster than games blown in the 9th. And in the post season a lockdown closer is a must.

Spaceman makes a great point about 2003 - 2004. One of the biggest differences was Foulke vs Closer by Commitee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Nothing deflates a team faster than games blown in the 9th. And in the post season a lockdown closer is a must.

Spaceman makes a great point about 2003 - 2004. One of the biggest differences was Foulke vs Closer by Commitee.

And even Foulke points out the short life of an effective closer.  A year later (05) he was toast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great closers are important but also way too costly.  The Sox had the perfect solution with Papelbon because over his tenure in Boston his average salary was pretty low.  Once he went to Philly, in my judgment, he became over priced.  He's doing great in Philly, but the Phillies ain't doing great at all--they spent too much on the closer.  Before the closer can do his job, the rest of the staff needs to contain opposing hitters for 8 innings, no mean feat.   

The FO is clearly trying to find a solution because they picked up and have three closers--Hanrahan, Bailey, and Uehara. 

Peter Abraham says relievers like structure and knowing what is expected, which drives you to pick one guy.  I think Bailey will get at least a couple more shots, then, if he still gets hammered, Farrell will plug in someone else, probably Tazawa, but that's a SWAG. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Great closers are important but also way too costly.  The Sox had the perfect solution with Papelbon because over his tenure in Boston his average salary was pretty low.  Once he went to Philly, in my judgment, he became over priced.  He's doing great in Philly, but the Phillies ain't doing great at all--they spent too much on the closer.  Before the closer can do his job, the rest of the staff needs to contain opposing hitters for 8 innings, no mean feat.   

The FO is clearly trying to find a solution because they picked up and have three closers--Hanrahan, Bailey, and Uehara. 

Peter Abraham says relievers like structure and knowing what is expected, which drives you to pick one guy.  I think Bailey will get at least a couple more shots, then, if he still gets hammered, Farrell will plug in someone else, probably Tazawa, but that's a SWAG. 

We have a lot of good arms, I say that J F should go with the "hot hand"  !!!!    Also, "CLOSING IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART"  !!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

We have a lot of good arms, I say that J F should go with the "hot hand"  !!!!    Also, "CLOSING IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART"  !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

You're contradicting yourself...again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i can think of 4 teams that would beg to differ Tongue OutWink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'm not for buying back Papelbon, that's all I can say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

You're contradicting yourself...again.

The point being, we/Sox can grow them at home or in a "decent trade", overpaying never = value !!!!       >RESPECT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Last night ????       "WOW"  !!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I'm not for buying back Papelbon, that's all I can say.

Ever since Papelbon's, "My dog ate the ball." comment, I do not trust him.   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Last night ????       "WOW"  !!!!!

Good morning Bill-806   Laughing

All you said was "WOW"?  You are a very well-mannered man.

After Bailey gave up the two-run homer, I said, "You f**kin son of a b*tch."  Yell

Sections
Shortcuts