As DAD would say..... "SON, GREAT ARTICLE TODAY ABOUT IGLESIAS BY NICK CAFARDO"......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As DAD would say..... "SON, GREAT ARTICLE TODAY ABOUT IGLESIAS BY NICK CAFARDO"......

Looks like the kid will be our  SS for next year & beyond.....   He can flat out play !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: As DAD would say.....

Tell me more!  I'd rather hear it from you than some sports writer. Tell me more!  Please.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tell me more!  I'd rather hear it from you than some sports writer. Tell me more!  Please.

[/QUOTE]To quote the Late/Great Nancy Pelosi........   "You will need to buy a ticket to really see what this kid can do" !!!!   Or something like that !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Link?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2012/09/30/iglesias-thinks-can-handle-chance/U47J82semlai8dMvlM10PN/story.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ridiculous article, ridiculous OP.  Nothing new from either of them, just more wishful thinking and small sample size idiocy (his 5 for 26 since "the incident" is apparently a good thing, showing improvement...huzzah!  Huzzah!  I say again, huzzah!).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2012/09/30/iglesias-thinks-can-handle-chance/U47J82semlai8dMvlM10PN/story.html

[/QUOTE]

Thanks southpaw. I couldn't find it - must have overlooked it.

It was a nice fluff piece but didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. 

The thing it DID do was to remind us that the Sox are going to have to make a difficult choice  very soon, a choice between an elite SS with limited offensive skills and an average SS with very good offensive skills.

Were it my decision I'd give the SS position to Iggy and build an offense around him, possibly finding another position for Bogarts to play.  Since 1B is low on the defensive skills spectrum I could very easily see an IF of Middlebrooks, Iggy, Pedey and Bogarts.  If Bogarts is good enough to play SS he's GOT to be talented enough to learn to play 1st! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Give me a break.  The kid is still very young.  There was no 'wasted' year.  Of course there is no substitute for major league pitching.  But, there is also no substitute for learning in the minors.  That used to be mandatory, even for the very best players.  Comapring Iggy's situation to Pedroia or Middlebrooks is apples and oranges.  They were both (Dustin particularly) much further along in their offensive development when they hit the pros.  What the heck is the rush?  Next year, he will be all the more ready.  

As far as the weights, really?  No weights?  Um, this is 2012.  All professional strength programs include flexibility work and weight work consistent with the needs of a given athletic activity.  A  lithe shortstop is not going to be pushing up Youk weights.  He should have no problem putting on a little muscle and retaining his flexibility.  Nonsense.  As he said himself, the main point is not to get big.  It is to get stronger and avoid the back problems and such that have plagued him already.

Of course, if I were working for the organization, i would let him leift weights, but you best believe he'd be on his yoga mat 90 minutes a day as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ridiculous article, ridiculous OP.  Nothing new from either of them, just more wishful thinking and small sample size idiocy (his 5 for 26 since "the incident" is apparently a good thing, showing improvement...huzzah!  Huzzah!  I say again, huzzah!).

[/QUOTE]   We wouldn't expect a veteran T-BALLER to understand the value of a ballplayer !!!   I bet you always enjoyed the ice-cream on the way home !!!   Those are moments that you will never forget !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I disagree with the wasted year thing, but do think Iglesias is a legitimate choice for starting SS in 2013.  I don't at all believe he will save a ton of runs, lower ERA's significantly, etc, but do think he will provide great entertainment value.  And over time he just might be able to hit adquately.  His AAA manager is high on him, an important endorsement. 

That said, Iglesias in the regularly lineup will put more pressure on the FO to fill out the rest of the lineup.  For example, Loney/Gomez don't have the bats at 1B to make up for a weak-hitting SS.  The Sox need to acquire at least one good bat this offseason and maybe two.  And they need to re-sign both Ortiz and Ross.  They probably need to avoid trading Ellsbury as well unless he is part of a deal to bring a good bat to Boston. 

If Iglesias can stick at SS, that means Bogaerts, potentially a very good hitter, can shift to 3B or 1B or the outfield.  If he goes to 3B, then Middlebrooks can go to 1B. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree with the wasted year thing, but do think Iglesias is a legitimate choice for starting SS in 2013.  I don't at all believe he will save a ton of runs, lower ERA's significantly, etc, but do think he will provide great entertainment value.  And over time he just might be able to hit adquately.  His AAA manager is high on him, an important endorsement. 

That said, Iglesias in the regularly lineup will put more pressure on the FO to fill out the rest of the lineup.  For example, Loney/Gomez don't have the bats at 1B to make up for a weak-hitting SS.  The Sox need to acquire at least one good bat this offseason and maybe two.  And they need to re-sign both Ortiz and Ross.  They probably need to avoid trading Ellsbury as well unless he is part of a deal to bring a good bat to Boston. 

If Iglesias can stick at SS, that means Bogaerts, potentially a very good hitter, can shift to 3B or 1B or the outfield.  If he goes to 3B, then Middlebrooks can go to 1B. 

[/QUOTE]
    It looks like there might be a few very young position players next year. They'll need a manager that is good with young ballplayers. I understand that Bobby Valentine might be available and that he is very good with young ballplayers. It might be worth signing him for a year while the kids mature...........

What?? He's already under contract? With who??  Hmmmmmm..

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Iggy did fairly well at the plate at AAA hitting .260 and he's still very young so his discipline will improve,and as far as the fielding is concerned he's light years better than anyone who played SS for the Sox this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I love people willing to delgate Bogaerts to a non-fielder position, like 1st base, so a non- hitter can remain at SS. Or, move superb fielding Middlebrooks to 1st. What a waste of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks talents in the field!

For a team to keep a sub. 200 hitter with no power in the lineup, they'd have to be the 1927 Yankees Murderers Row.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This is all about organizational philosophy.....do you give up offense at SS to gain elite defense. For a team that for a good part of the year with guys on the DL , they were still leading the league in scoring runs, and yet they were floundering....I would think they would understand you win with solid pitching. The 5 playoff teams in the AL were 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in ERa while being 1st , 2nd, 6th, 7th and 9th in runs cored, The 5 NL playoff teams were 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in ERA and 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th in runs scored. The Sox were 11th in ERA and 4th in Runs scored. Seems to me if you have someone you can put at SS who has the potential to lower your team ERA dramatically you do it.....offensively you will give up some runs, but Igklesias can run so you gain some speed....he can bunt...and I think he will net more runs saved than you lose in runs created. Again to this years playoff teams....JJ Hardy is hitting .238.....Jihnny Peralta is hitting .240...Zack Cozrt .249....Rafael Furcal .264 with ......so you dont need to have a .285 hitter at SS to win ball games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]   We wouldn't expect a veteran T-BALLER to understand the value of a ballplayer !!!   I bet you always enjoyed the ice-cream on the way home !!!   Those are moments that you will never forget !!!

[/QUOTE]

Me:  "Bill, what's your analysis of Beckett's 2011 season?"

Bill:  "I don't remember him winning any big games."  Hahaha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is all about organizational philosophy.....do you give up offense at SS to gain elite defense. For a team that for a good part of the year with guys on the DL , they were still leading the league in scoring runs, and yet they were floundering....I would think they would understand you win with solid pitching. The 5 playoff teams in the AL were 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in ERa while being 1st , 2nd, 6th, 7th and 9th in runs cored, The 5 NL playoff teams were 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in ERA and 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th in runs scored. The Sox were 11th in ERA and 4th in Runs scored. Seems to me if you have someone you can put at SS who has the potential to lower your team ERA dramatically you do it.....offensively you will give up some runs, but Igklesias can run so you gain some speed....he can bunt...and I think he will net more runs saved than you lose in runs created. Again to this years playoff teams....JJ Hardy is hitting .238.....Jihnny Peralta is hitting .240...Zack Cozrt .249....Rafael Furcal .264 with ......so you dont need to have a .285 hitter at SS to win ball games.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but can you win with a .185 hitter at SS?  That may be the real question.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love people willing to delgate Bogaerts to a non-fielder position, like 1st base, so a non- hitter can remain at SS. Or, move superb fielding Middlebrooks to 1st. What a waste of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks talents in the field!

1) Good fielding at 1B is important. Great fielding at 1B can win games.

2) We don't know how well Bogaerts can fiedl SS yet; if he can't do it well, moving him to 1B or 3B is not a bad idea.

3) Cecchini may end up at 1B or 3B as Middlebrooks moves over to 1B.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Why the rush to move a fine fieldeing 3rd baseman, to 1st? That should be the last option. Great fielding 3rd basaemen also win games.

If Bogaerts can't play SS, and nobody said he can't, OF would be a better option for his skill set. Why waste a strong arm at 1st base?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  Son, 2011 ???   Really, spare me/us ......   How is the "FAT-CAT-BARRRR$TAD" DOING NOW ????    The Dodgers are soooo lucky to have a great pitcher like that on their staff !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  Son, 2011 ???   Really, spare me/us ......   How is the "FAT-CAT-BARRRR$TAD" DOING NOW ????    The Dodgers are soooo lucky to have a great pitcher like that on their staff !!!

[/QUOTE]

The point, obvious to all bar you, is that you are unable to form an intelligent opinion on anything.  Prove me wrong....what's your view on Beckett's performance for the Dodgers so far?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

1) Good fielding at 1B is important. Great fielding at 1B can win games.

3) Cecchini may end up at 1B or 3B as Middlebrooks moves over to 1B.

[/QUOTE]

If there's one thing we should have learned when the Sox moved a GG 3B to 1B (that would be Youk) it's that if someone can play 3rd they can play 1st. Same distance from the plate, ball comes off the bat at the same angle, etc.  And that player has already proven they can play the short hops, which are a lot like the throws in the dirt, only handled with a bigger glove.  All that's needed is to teach the mechanics of playing 1st, which isn't rocket science.

If a team has the luxury to have two players who can play 3rd well and both have good power there's no good reason to NOT move one of them to 1st - assuming you don't have AGon there already.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Exactly. We also have an opening in leftfield. Any shortstop should be able to play left.  I can see Bogaerts moving to left , right or first base.  I would leave Middlebrooks at third and Iglesias at short.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I'm few weeks short of 88, so I qualify as "Old Dad"? If so, I echo this prediction. If this guy isn't the SS next year, then I may start watching the local softball team. "A run saved is equal to 2 home runs!"