AS DAD WOULD SAY........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY........

"SON, GOOD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU GET 13 HITS IN A GAME"  !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........

I hope the Red Sox can keep the momentum when they head over to Oakland.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILL-805. Show BILL-805's posts

......as long as your pitchers dont give up 14 hits, son

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyofenway. Show dannyofenway's posts

Son, good things happen when you throw strikes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........:
    [QUOTE]Son, good things happen when you throw strikes.
    Posted by dannyofenway[/QUOTE]
     ... unless you throw them down the middle of the plate (see Matsuzaka vs. Rays last week).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

isn't it amazing what happens to our starters when they are given a couple of runs early in the game?  how bout a nice slow shot of instant karma right into their throwing arm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"SON, THAT GAME LAST NIGHT IN OAKLAND WAS A STINKER, HOW DO YOU WIN 3 IN A ROW OFF TORONTO AND THEN STINK OUT THE JOINT LAST NIGHT" ????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]    "SON, THAT GAME LAST NIGHT IN OAKLAND WAS A STINKER, HOW DO YOU WIN 3 IN A ROW OFF TORONTO AND THEN STINK OUT THE JOINT LAST NIGHT" ????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Good Pitching beats Good Hitting most of the time...Brett Anderson was sharp last night and would have beat most teams with the control he had.

Let's take the positive that Lackey pitched pretty good himself.

Tonight is another night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]    "SON, THAT GAME LAST NIGHT IN OAKLAND WAS A STINKER, HOW DO YOU WIN 3 IN A ROW OFF TORONTO AND THEN STINK OUT THE JOINT LAST NIGHT" ????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
     I wouldn't say the stunk out the joint Bill.  Anderson was just dominant.  it happens.  And, to tell you the truth, as far as 5-0 losses go, I feel as ok as i can about it.  Anderson was great.  And, to take a positive from the game, Lackey was solid.  The starting pitching is my biggest concern and it is good to see the biggest question marks start to get it going.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It amazes me that when the RS get shut out, or don't hit, is because the other pitcher was dominant. Anderson? Give me a break! It's not like he's a 20 game winner with CY aspirations.
    Our hitters are too good to not score any runs off anyone. They did not execute, plain and simple. Quit making alibis for these guys. That's my job!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]It amazes me that when the RS get shut out, or don't hit, is because the other pitcher was dominant. Anderson? Give me a break! It's not like he's a 20 game winner with CY aspirations. Our hitters are too good to not score any runs off anyone. They did not execute, plain and simple. Quit making alibis for these guys. That's my job!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

No need to overstate the case Ike.  Not saying Anderson is a Cy Young candidate.  But he is a good young pitcher who has shown he has the ability to dominate when he is on his game.  As stated already in this thread, good pitching always beats good hitting.  Look, they crushed a much-more proven talent in Ricky Romero Monday morning.  But thats baseball.  If Ricky had all his stuff working, probably not the same result.  Brett had all of his stuff working.  Oh well.  You think this offense is so good that it will never get shut out?  That offense has never existed in the history of the game.  Good pitching always beats good hitting.  Every time.  Anderson may not be a Cy Young candidate.  But if you don't think he and Gio, Anderson, and Cahill don't have the stuff to shut down A+ line-ups, you haven't been paying attention.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]It amazes me that when the RS get shut out, or don't hit, is because the other pitcher was dominant. Anderson? Give me a break! It's not like he's a 20 game winner with CY aspirations. Our hitters are too good to not score any runs off anyone. They did not execute, plain and simple. Quit making alibis for these guys. That's my job!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST...... "DAD CAN NOT STAND EXCUSES"  !!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........ : No need to overstate the case Ike.  Not saying Anderson is a Cy Young candidate.  But he is a good young pitcher who has shown he has the ability to dominate when he is on his game.  As stated already in this thread, good pitching always beats good hitting.  Look, they crushed a much-more proven talent in Ricky Romero Monday morning.  But thats baseball.  If Ricky had all his stuff working, probably not the same result.  Brett had all of his stuff working.  Oh well.  You think this offense is so good that it will never get shut out?  That offense has never existed in the history of the game.  Good pitching always beats good hitting.  Every time.  Anderson may not be a Cy Young candidate.  But if you don't think he and Gio, Anderson, and Cahill don't have the stuff to shut down A+ line-ups, you haven't been paying attention.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Good hitting teams will find ways to score runs, even when the opposing pitching is hitting all the spots. Good hitting adjusts, and puts the ball in play instead of striking out 8 times. Good hitters will take what the pitcher gives them, and exploit it.
    The problem with our offense is that virtually every hitter in the line-up is swinging for the fences, you cannot deny that.
    In every AB, a hitter will get at least one cookie, two if their lucky. More times than not, it is usually the first pitch of the AB, since pitchers want to get ahead. If they miss them, then their job is to put the ball in play somewhere, not keep swinging from their heels.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........ : Disagree. Good hitting teams will find ways to score runs, even when the opposing pitching is hitting all the spots. Good hitting adjusts, and puts the ball in play instead of striking out 8 times. Good hitters will take what the pitcher gives them, and exploit it. The problem with our offense is that virtually every hitter in the line-up is swinging for the fences, you cannot deny that. In every AB, a hitter will get at least one cookie, two if their lucky. More times than not, it is usually the first pitch of the AB, since pitchers want to get ahead. If they miss them, then their job is to put the ball in play somewhere, not keep swinging from their heels.

Yea, I hear you Ike.  Maybe you are right.  But from my vantage point, Anderson was just nasty and wasn't tossing very many cookies.  I thought guys were swinging from their heels cuz he had them off-balance with a nice mix-up of A+ pitches.  I understand its their job to put the ball in play.  But, sometimes it just don't happen.  Look, why didn't the mighty Yankees line-up muster anything against Josh Beckett last week?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........ : Disagree. Good hitting teams will find ways to score runs, even when the opposing pitching is hitting all the spots. Good hitting adjusts, and puts the ball in play instead of striking out 8 times. Good hitters will take what the pitcher gives them, and exploit it. The problem with our offense is that virtually every hitter in the line-up is swinging for the fences, you cannot deny that. In every AB, a hitter will get at least one cookie, two if their lucky. More times than not, it is usually the first pitch of the AB, since pitchers want to get ahead. If they miss them, then their job is to put the ball in play somewhere, not keep swinging from their heels.

Ike, if what you say is true than how do you explain the same line-up putting up a ton of runs on one day and then getting shut out the next?? So yesterday they are swinging for the fences against Anderson and today they're batting to get on base and taking what the pitcher gives them against Gonzalez??

BTW, Youkilis and Lowrie homered today so I guess you could say they were swinging for the fences while taking what the pitcher gives them.

Come on man, your argument is totally flawed! Good Pitching Almost Always Beats Good Hitting. I say "almost" because nothing in baseball is absolute.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

GOOD OFFENSE TODAY.....  OAKLAND HAD TOO MANY LEFT HANDERS FOR ME......  PEN GOT  LITTLE SHAKEY AT THE END !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"SON, THIS WILL BE A TOUGH 4 GAMES IN LA LA LAND" !!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........ : Ike, if what you say is true than how do you explain the same line-up putting up a ton of runs on one day and then getting shut out the next?? So yesterday they are swinging for the fences against Anderson and today they're batting to get on base and taking what the pitcher gives them against Gonzalez?? BTW, Youkilis and Lowrie homered today so I guess you could say they were swinging for the fences while taking what the pitcher gives them. Come on man, your argument is totally flawed! Good Pitching Almost Always Beats Good Hitting. I say "almost" because nothing in baseball is absolute.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

The RS were lucky to escape with a win yesterday. The A's left 15 on base, and with some timely hitting could have blown us away.

I think you miss my point. let me just say that fundamental baseball does not exist anymore in MLB. Scratching out runs, when the opposing pitching is nasty, is a strategy that is either forgotten, not taught, or undesirable. The psychological gamesmanship has been lost to the home run, and taking one for the team rarely happens.
    Against a tough pitcher, hitters need to disrupt the rythym with cat and mouse tactics. Get on top of the plate and make him uncomfortable. If it takes getting hit by pitch to get on, then that's what you do.
    baserunners need to be a distraction as well.
    Even the best pitchers cna be shaken.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

As dad would say ....

"Son, speak for yourself, goddammit!!! Stop hiding behind me and start using your own damn voice."

JK.  I couldn't help myself. Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AS DAD WOULD SAY........ : The RS were lucky to escape with a win yesterday. The A's left 15 on base, and with some timely hitting could have blown us away. I think you miss my point. let me just say that fundamental baseball does not exist anymore in MLB. Scratching out runs, when the opposing pitching is nasty, is a strategy that is either forgotten, not taught, or undesirable. The psychological gamesmanship has been lost to the home run, and taking one for the team rarely happens. Against a tough pitcher, hitters need to disrupt the rythym with cat and mouse tactics. Get on top of the plate and make him uncomfortable. If it takes getting hit by pitch to get on, then that's what you do. baserunners need to be a distraction as well. Even the best pitchers cna be shaken.

Ike, although I agree with most of what you said on this post, I think you are talking about National League baseball...where the pitchers bat and there is usually another position or two in the line-up where the batters are just average. So managers in the NL play a style somewhat similar to what you refer to.

However, with the DH, AL managers take a different approach since they have that extra hitter or two in the line-up. What you are referring too, for the most part, is playing small ball and for teams like the Red Sox and Yankees with fairly packed line-ups of better than average hitters small ball does not make as much sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"SON, LOOKING BETTER & BETTER" !!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts