As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...

...for the long run, the guy to trade right now is Papi. 

-Daf. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...

---you keep this outfield in tact (regarless of the pitcher) until CC and Ellsbury get back.

You miss Timmy? I miss Teddy, Doerr and Joe Cronin; what's that got to do with anythin?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...:
    [QUOTE]---you keep this outfield in tact (regarless of the pitcher) until CC and Ellsbury get back. You miss Timmy? I miss Teddy, Doerr and Joe Cronin; what's that got to do with anythin?
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

It's my current signature in my profile, dude. It shows up on all my posts. 

And I don't disagree that this team has talent and can still make a run this year, but if we want to trade someone, right now, to get the most out of in the long run, I would choose Papi. 

-Daf. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...:
    [QUOTE]...for the long run, the guy to trade right now is Papi.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

WRONG ANSWER!  :(

What are you smoking???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

No one wants a DH as old as Papi and what makes you think anyone wants him just because he is having a hot start this year? If the Sox offered him for a young pitcher the GM would laugh Ben off the phone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

To who?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team...:
    [QUOTE]No one wants a DH as old as Papi and what makes you think anyone wants him just because he is having a hot start this year? If the Sox offered him for a young pitcher the GM would laugh Ben off the phone.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

If I were a small market team making a run for the playoffs, I'd want him. And I'd give up prospects or draft picks for him. Especially since he only has a one year contract.  

He's more than having a hot start. He's swinging the bat like he did five years ago. 

-Daf. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]10-5 guy, not easy to do and you won't get a load for an older DH even as great as Papi who is making $15M on a one year deal. Maybe at the deadline the RS could pick somebody's pockets in AA for gold they did not know they had but I doubt it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team... :    To who?
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

I know. That's the question.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't think we'd get much for a DH who will turn 37 in the offseason.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No one wants a DH as old as Papi and what makes you think anyone wants him just because he is having a hot start this year? If the Sox offered him for a young pitcher the GM would laugh Ben off the phone.

Detroit is in the race and has used Delmon Young (.618 OPS) as their DH since VMart got hurt for the year. They also have a .572 RF'er and a .383 2Bman.

Maybe they would take Papi, Ross, Punto, Tazawa and Ranaudo for Drew Smyly, Delmon Young (salary dump used to even up the money a little bit) and Benoit ($11M/2).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

As much as I don't want his to happen, I think they move Ellsbury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Papi is a tough move, due to his salary and lack of position.

Howeve, moonslav hit it on the head.  Detroit is ninth in the AL in runs scored, ninth in home runs, ninth in batting average, eighth in OBP and eighth in SLG.

And this after they spent over $200mill and eschewed defense to upgrade.

The problem is, what would they send back to Boston?  Not like they have pitchers, or even outfielders, to spare.   We don't want Delmon Young back, either...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

To fix this team you need to get rid of the CANCER of Josh Beckett. This dude is bad news and we ca not have him in our clubhouse with those young pitcjers like Lester and Buchholz. Beckett is a huge problem right now. Trade him or keep him in games that he sucks at. I also put some if not half of the blame on the owners. They need to step up and say something or talk to him and his agent. He gets paid ALOT of money to do a way better job then what the Sox and fans are getting. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]Papi is a tough move, due to his salary and lack of position. Howeve, moonslav hit it on the head.  Detroit is ninth in the AL in runs scored, ninth in home runs, ninth in batting average, eighth in OBP and eighth in SLG. And this after they spent over $200mill and eschewed defense to upgrade. The problem is, what would they send back to Boston?  Not like they have pitchers, or even outfielders, to spare.   We don't want Delmon Young back, either...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

A bucket of draft picks?  (Yes, I am thinking really long term). I quess the nice thing about the way Papi is playing, he is a type A and will get us some draft picks if someone else signs him next year... Still...

But if we are out of it by mid-season, and Papi finishes the season strong, why couldn't we sign him back again next year? The Sox would save part of his salary and get an extra few pics in the deal. 

Who was that closer that Minnesota traded to us and then resigned back in the 90's?

And if we do trade Papi, that would let Youk do some DHing and build up his trade value, or stay a DH going forward, due to his new found fragility. 

Trading Beckett is problematic. He's long-term expensive, obstinate, and just not playing well... Dice-K would probably be more attractive to another team. 

I just hate trading players when they are down.  I would rather let them play themselves back into serviceability, then unload them, if they don't fit, or truly are cancers. (Which I have my doubts about with Beckett or Dice.)

-Daf. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team... : A bucket of draft picks?  (Yes, I am thinking really long term). I quess the nice thing about the way Papi is playing, he is a type A and will get us some draft picks if someone else signs him next year... Still... But if we are out of it by mid-season, and Papi finishes the season strong, why couldn't we sign him back again next year? The Sox would save part of his salary and get an extra few pics in the deal.  Who was that closer that Minnesota traded to us and then resigned back in the 90's? And if we do trade Papi, that would let Youk do some DHing and build up his trade value, or stay a DH going forward, due to his new found fragility.  Trading Beckett is problematic. He's long-term expensive, obstinate, and just not playing well... Dice-K would probably be more attractive to another team.  I just hate trading players when they are down.  I would rather let them play themselves back into serviceability, then unload them, if they don't fit, or truly are cancers. (Which I have my doubts about with Beckett or Dice.) -Daf. 

1. You cannot trade draft picks in MLB.

2.  That closer was Rick Aguilera, also more famous as the winning pitcher (and player Kevin Mitchell pinch hit for) in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

3. We could re-sign Papi, assuming we want a lot of money and little flexibility.  The Sox only get compensation picks if he declines arbitration, and great season or not, it is very unlikely the Sox offer it to him again. 

4. Daisuke could be traded, but not until he shows something.

5.  The "cancer" thing is usually alot more media hype than anything.  It's probably impossible to find any 25 guys, put the on a team and expect them all to get along and sing soungs together.  And different players are less or more popular in different clubhouses or with different teammates...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]To fix this team you need to get rid of the CANCER of Josh Beckett. This dude is bad news and we ca not have him in our clubhouse with those young pitcjers like Lester and  Buchholz. Beckett is a huge problem right now. Trade him or keep him in games that he sucks at. I also put some if not half of the blame on the owners. They need to step up and say something or talk to him and his agent. He gets paid ALOT of money to do a way better job then what the Sox and fans are getting. 
    Posted by PAULICAS1975[/QUOTE]

Lester and Buchholz are both 27yo grown men with some 9 combined years of MLB experience and should be capable of making their own decisions.   These are not 20yo kids living away from home for the first time...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team... : 1. You cannot trade draft picks in MLB.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Not true.... kind of.... well.... you are both wrong.  You now CAN trade draft picks under the new CBA, but it's only the special picks assigned to small market / low payroll teams under the new CBA.  The picks can not be sold for cash.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Gee who would want Ortiz?  The Blue Jays might though VLad is on the scene now. I would think the Jays would love that.

Maybe Tampa though doubtful those tight-azzes would part with any good players to get him.

Texas? 

Not Detroit or Cleveland as I think they don't have the room for him at DH.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team... : Not true.... kind of.... well.... you are both wrong.  You now CAN trade draft picks under the new CBA, but it's only the special picks assigned to small market / low payroll teams under the new CBA.  The picks can not be sold for cash.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

The only picks that can be traded are picks that are taken from teams that, well, basically pay overslot to sign draft picks.   The heavy spender can lose their next 2 first round picks, which are re-assigned to another team and subject to trade.

Safe bet neither the Sox nor the Tigers have these picks.  So they will not be trading Ortiz for picks like teams in the NBA and NFL do...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

The return on Ortiz won't bring the Sox a front line starter. The Sox do need to unload high salaries but right now Papi is one of the few players on this team earning his salary. If the Sox are sellers come July, some trade opportunities that are not obvious to us now may come available.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Like some have said here, all that Papi could bring is a prospect that has made it to the bigs this year and projects to be a middle of the rotation guy. When I say no one wants Papi and they would be stupid to take him, it's because the Sox would be smart to keep him. Much like Pedroia he bringa certain type of personality to the Sox clubhouse. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As much as I hate to say it, if we want to improve the team... : 1. You cannot trade draft picks in MLB.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I did not know that (obviously). 

Thanks, notin. 

-Daf. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Like some have said here, all that Papi could bring is a prospect that has made it to the bigs this year and projects to be a middle of the rotation guy. When I say no one wants Papi and they would be stupid to take him, it's because the Sox would be smart to keep him. Much like Pedroia he bringa certain type of personality to the Sox clubhouse. 
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Papi value is greater than the sum of his parts...So if the Sox were to trade him. They could get back a pretty good ball player in return. Due to his contract no one will break the bank to aquire a 2 month rental. However a team like the Indians Say if Hafner were to go down, who if they found themselves in the race for the wildcard or the division. Would jump at the chance to add a veteren proven run producer of Papi's ability.

So today it's impossible to conclude what Papi's services are worth on the trade market because the market itself is fluid and trust me if Papi is indeed a player the Sox would entertain trading. Come July, they'll be plenty of suitors if he's healthy and putting up numbers...I wouldn't rule out NL teams either who could use him as a pinch hitter or even play him at first where he's no gold glover but is servicable...