1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: As the Sun Sets on another Sox Season

Enjoy the rest of your hopeless season Pumps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Well, it sure was fun, wasn't it? Most of us were just giddy over the great start this team had in April. We were even in first place for a while. But now our annual migration to the cellar has begun in earnest again, this year a little earlier than most. Unfortunately all the other ALE teams are more talented than the Red Sox are. Why are we headed south again? Same reason the Bankees are in first place: PITCHING. As of this morning our team ERA is in NINTH place in the AL; the Bankees are in SECOND place. The Orioles have better pitching than we do, and they are ahead of us in the standings. The Rays will soon be better than us both in ERA and in the standings, and the Jays are beginning to make their move too. Its not the hitting, contrary to what some here might believe: we are THIRD in OPS in the AL, and the Bankees are in SEVENTH in OPS. Why are they leaving us in the dust-AGAIN? One word: PITCHING.

Pumpsie:  I love the way you write. 

I didn't read a single post that disputed our pitching situation. The FACT of the matter is that the pitching, which stunk last year, stinks almost as much again this year. That is a prescription for failure. I am not interested in the cute pictures, though I too find them as amusing as I find pictures of ostriches with their heads in the sand. I am interested in finding out what all the pollyannas have to say about our PITCHING and how much of a chance to play in October we have if our pitching remains NINTH in the AL-or how the FO can realistically improve it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevotedRSgirl. Show DevotedRSgirl's posts

Well, it sure was fun, wasn't it? Most of us were just giddy over the great start this team had in April. We were even in first place for a while. But now our annual migration to the cellar has begun in earnest again, this year a little earlier than most. Unfortunately all the other ALE teams are more talented than the Red Sox are. Why are we headed south again? Same reason the Bankees are in first place: PITCHING. As of this morning our team ERA is in NINTH place in the AL; the Bankees are in SECOND place. The Orioles have better pitching than we do, and they are ahead of us in the standings. The Rays will soon be better than us both in ERA and in the standings, and the Jays are beginning to make their move too. Its not the hitting, contrary to what some here might believe: we are THIRD in OPS in the AL, and the Bankees are in SEVENTH in OPS. Why are they leaving us in the dust-AGAIN? One word: PITCHING.

WOW.......it's May 15th and your throwing in the towel??????????? What kind a RS fan does that? What will you do now for the rest of the summer? Oh I know..............you're the kind of fan/poster that disappears now, and shows up again in September!!!!! I have been LMAO at the doom and gloom........you DO understand there are a FEW more games to be played right? The season doesn't end in July at the All Star break. Is that what you thought? No, no, no..............they play all the way through Sept. and sometimes Oct.!!!! Don't have a hissy fit.....it's all good. Take a deep breath and relax!!!!!!!! Laughing 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I didn't read a single post that disputed our pitching situation. The FACT of the matter is that the pitching, which stunk last year, stinks almost as much again this year. That is a prescription for failure. I am not interested in the cute pictures, though I too find them as amusing as I find pictures of ostriches with their heads in the sand. I am interested in finding out what all the pollyannas have to say about our PITCHING and how much of a chance to play in October we have if our pitching remains NINTH in the AL-or how the FO can realistically improve it.

Its not as binary as you would make it Pumpsie:  there are more than 'realist' or 'pollyana' perspectives.  

Some of us see the issues for what they are, but choose not to spend more negative energy on them than necessary.  For me, I get down enough when the Sox are losing.  I find it counter-productive to come to this forum and moan about it all day.  Thats just me.  But, my choice to not belabor the negative should not be confused for sticking my head-in-the-sand.  My love for baseball, and in particular, Red Sox baseball, is, at its core, one of the true joys of my life.  Its even more joyful when the Sox are winning.  But, to be frank, it was joyful for me in the ugliest depths of the Sullivan-Leroux years.  It was joyful for me in the lost years in the 90s.  Its baseball.  Its beautiful and fun and fascinating.  I see no point in grinding on all the problems that I have no ability to change myself.  Counter-productive to me.

Now, I understand this is a discussion forum, and part of the richness of a discussion forum is getting all sorts of perspectives.  I see where you are coming from.  And I appreciate.  But I hope you can make out through all the darkness, that just because some of us might not indulge the darkness, doesn't mean we don't see it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to DevotedRSgirl's comment:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its not as binary as you would make it Pumpsie:  there are more than 'realist' or 'pollyana' perspectives.  

Some of us see the issues for what they are, but choose not to spend more negative energy on them than necessary.  For me, I get down enough when the Sox are losing.  I find it counter-productive to come to this forum and moan about it all day.  Thats just me.  But, my choice to not belabor the negative should not be confused for sticking my head-in-the-sand.  My love for baseball, and in particular, Red Sox baseball, is, at its core, one of the true joys of my life.  Its even more joyful when the Sox are winning.  But, to be frank, it was joyful for me in the ugliest depths of the Sullivan-Leroux years.  It was joyful for me in the lost years in the 90s.  Its baseball.  Its beautiful and fun and fascinating.  I see no point in grinding on all the problems that I have no ability to change myself.  Counter-productive to me.

Now, I understand this is a discussion forum, and part of the richness of a discussion forum is getting all sorts of perspectives.  I see where you are coming from.  And I appreciate.  But I hope you can make out through all the darkness, that just because some of us might not indulge the darkness, doesn't mean we don't see it.

No problem Space. To be honest, my OP is half joking. Yes, there are major problems with this team, but its not totally hopeless. Its still baseball, and I am still watching it and will be until the end of the season. I also know that there is a spectrum of opinions here, from pollyannas who think we can win 90 or more games to those who think we will play .500 ball at best-and every opinion in between. Its all good. I remain very happy despite the Red Sox woes. So enjoy the banter and the cute pictures, but keep it in perspective.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sun is a long way from setting.  Meanwhile, I think the pitching is good enough, but the hitting is definitely struggling, and that applies primarily to recent games.  Peter Abraham points out how badly we are lately with RISP, but also how many games this year in which the Sox have 5 or fewer hits.  Plus all the strikeouts.  Nick Cafardo points out how Ellsbury and Middlebrooks are just non factors and too much depends on Ortiz and only Ortiz.   

Last night is a perfect example.  Ortiz got the three run dinger in the 1st, but the Sox couldn't hit spit for the next 8 innings and lost, 5-3.  Lackey did give up those 5 runs, but two of them were the result of that pop up Napoli couldn't find.  And the bullpen went 3 2/3 innings without giving up a run, including coming into the 5th with one man on second and one man out but no runs scored. 

Am I worried.  Sure, I am.  But I believe these guys can play better than this.  Dempster and Lackey both had bad games, but have also had some good ones.  Buchholz and Lester are having their best seasons ever.  The bullpen is hurting right now, but not a disaster. 

Errors are a problem, granted.  But the Sox have decent speed in the outfield and a pretty good infield. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Sun is a long way from setting.  Meanwhile, I think the pitching is good enough, but the hitting is definitely struggling, and that applies primarily to recent games.  Peter Abraham points out how badly we are lately with RISP, but also how many games this year in which the Sox have 5 or fewer hits.  Plus all the strikeouts.  Nick Cafardo points out how Ellsbury and Middlebrooks are just non factors and too much depends on Ortiz and only Ortiz.   

Last night is a perfect example.  Ortiz got the three run dinger in the 1st, but the Sox couldn't hit spit for the next 8 innings and lost, 5-3.  Lackey did give up those 5 runs, but two of them were the result of that pop up Napoli couldn't find.  And the bullpen went 3 2/3 innings without giving up a run, including coming into the 5th with one man on second and one man out but no runs scored. 

Am I worried.  Sure, I am.  But I believe these guys can play better than this.  Dempster and Lackey both had bad games, but have also had some good ones.  Buchholz and Lester are having their best seasons ever.  The bullpen is hurting right now, but not a disaster. 

Errors are a problem, granted.  But the Sox have decent speed in the outfield and a pretty good infield. 

Overall, Max, the facts indicate that it is the pitching that is the issue. We remain third in OPS in the AL, and we will score runs eventually. Of course they will play better; we are not going to win 2 of every 10 games we play for the rest of the year. No team is that bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It is hard to take someone serious complaining about the pitching of this team. The problem isn't pitching or the talent of the hitters. It comes down to timely hitting. I would shuffle that batting order. Move up Drew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Overall, Max, the facts indicate that it is the pitching that is the issue. We remain third in OPS in the AL, and we will score runs eventually. Of course they will play better; we are not going to win 2 of every 10 games we play for the rest of the year. No team is that bad.

Lester, Buchholz, and Dempster are three really solid pitchers. Other than last night Lackey has been fine. Doubrant could be am issue. Pitche. Like Hanarhan, Aceves, Wright, and Webster are inflating the staff ERA.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

It is hard to take someone serious complaining about the pitching of this team. The problem isn't pitching or the talent of the hitters. It comes down to timely hitting. I would shuffle that batting order. Move up Drew.

Sometimes what you believe is simply not true when you look at the facts. I know it seems like we have not been hitting the baseball-and lately thats probably true, especially with RISP, but overall, our pitching is worse than our hitting relative to the rest of the league. Here is the proof:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/league/al/sort/ERA/order/false

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester, Buchholz, and Dempster are three really solid pitchers. Other than last night Lackey has been fine. Doubrant could be am issue. Pitche. Like Hanarhan, Aceves, Wright, and Webster are inflating the staff ERA.

I agree that those guys inflated the ERA. I also think that other teams have some guys that inflate THEIR ERAs. It all counts. Who is to say that the replacements for Hanrahan et al are going to be any better than the guys you mentioned? The team ERA is what it is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I agree that those guys inflated the ERA. I also think that other teams have some guys that inflate THEIR ERAs. It all counts. Who is to say that the replacements for Hanrahan et al are going to be any better than the guys you mentioned? The team ERA is what it is.

So, you're basing your entire opinion on one stat?

Makes sense...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We have a solid 1-2 and so far we have a very dependable #3. Dempster has done very well despite the record. lack of run support has killed him. I have little faith in our #4 and #5 though. I disagree that our pitching is even close to as terrible as it was last year. Im not sure how you can say that when all the numbers discredit your opinion.

1-3 starters

W-L 13-4 24 starts, just under a 3 ERA  159.1 IP (6.2avg) 113H  47ER  166K 1.05 WHIP batter have a .200BA against them. ( record could easily be 15-2 with some runs support in 2 Demp starts)

4-5 starters

W-L 4-5  5.20 ERA  11 starts  59IP ( just under 5.1 IP per start) 74H  35ER  62K  1.62 WHIP  batters hitting .300 against them, (Doubront could easily be 1-3 if not for good run support)

As of late, offensively we havent had the timely hits needed to win. Simple as that. Ebbs and flows of a long year. Too many K's as well. Injuries to the pen have made that look worse than it really is.

Thats what the 1st 3 months are for in a season. Identifying your needs and then changing what needs to change. They have the $$, depth and prospects if they need to make a move. Im not going to panic though just because of a bad 2 weeks filled with injuries and a couple sub par performances.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

So, you're basing your entire opinion on one stat?

Makes sense...

Wrong again B! I am basing my opinion on what I believe is the overall talent level of this team and supported it with the single best pitching stat relative to our competition. I think we agree that right now our pitching is below the average for the AL since our ERA ranks NINTH in the league. As for our hitting and our staff, its not bad. But we also have a dearth of talent there too: Ellsbury and WMB are not producing; Gomes and Carp are simply not very good at all; Victorino has done very well but is likely to regress, given his recent yearly stats-as is Nava. Ortiz has done very well, but will also likely regress toward his career norm too. We have a catcher that is acceptable for catchers offensively but is widely regarded as a butcher behind the plate (even if some say he is improving). Ciriaco....nuff said. See what I mean? I hope you enjoyed the flash in the pan that was April. They will start to win more games, for sure. No team is a .200 team in baseball, not even the Red Sox. Just not good enough to contend for much more than fourth place in the ALE. And they WILL be there very soon. I am no happier about this than anyone else here, but at least I don't have my head in the sand about it either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Red Sox lost a game 3-2 while leaving a runner on 2nd in the nineth. This last stretch has been caused by the lack of timely hitting. They have had a few clunker, that even the best teams have, but they could gotten like 5 more timely hits we wouldn't be talking about the Sox being 4-9 this month.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The Red Sox lost a game 3-2 while leaving a runner on 2nd in the nineth. This last stretch has been caused by the lack of timely hitting. They have had a few clunker, that even the best teams have, but they could gotten like 5 more timely hits we wouldn't be talking about the Sox being 4-9 this month.

Another way to put it is that good pitching on the part of our opponents prevented us from getting base hits where our own pitching allowed the opposition to score.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Another way to put it is that good pitching on the part of our opponents prevented us from getting base hits where our own pitching allowed the opposition to score.

Scoring 3 runs a game for over a week doesn't mean you faced 11 great pitchers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Scoring 3 runs a game for over a week doesn't mean you faced 11 great pitchers.

They have been good enough to limit our offensive production. We have scored 49 runs in May in 13 games. Thats 3.77 runs per game. Not great, but we have lost 9 of our last 11 games because our pitching has not been able to limit the opponents to fewer runs than us. They have scored 69 runs-5.31 RPG. Our pitching stinks over this period is my conclusion. You have a different one?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It does my heart good to see posts like this one. I have honestly spent my entire life with the belief that we women are much more dramatic than men. That is..until I started reading this Red Sox forum. Honestly...it's kinda funny from my perspective to see the angst and drama...the doom and gloom predictions.

It is May 15th. The sun has barely risen on the Red Sox at this point. There will be plenty of time for doom and gloom posts after the All Star break. A few weeks ago the Sox were in first place. Now..they are decidedly not. One thing we've seen time and time again..is that things change quickly in baseball. I prefer to wait until after the break to start evaluating the season. It's too early.

It seems like our pitching has been inconsistent for years. If I am wrong..I am sure someone will correct me...but I think the pitching looks more promising than it did last year. I don't expect much from the Sox this year. To me..this is the rebuilding year that should have taken place last year. However..I am willing to give them at least half a season before I declare them finished.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

PG..What did you think of my assesment that I wrote above on this page? I think its pretty realistic with numbers to back it up.