1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: As the Sun Sets on another Sox Season

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Hetch got carried away. My mom passed away in 1985. This is not a Hitchcock movie.

Hi Pumpsie, 

I might have gotten carried away a bit but why all of the drama or what ever in your writings. We knew the pitching might swing one way or the other. hoping that if Lester and Buch could return to form they be be the nucleus of a solid rotation hinging on whether Lackey could come back for one. I think he'll come around but pitchers after TJ surgery can take a bit more time to come back.  Doubrant has not looked good so far and he's only in his second full season of MLB, but he may also never be any better. The hope would be that with Farrel around to help he'll improve. Dempster despite a few rough outings has been pretty solid overall, just not getting much run support.

The major problem as I see it is a thin bullpen which just is suffering from overwork and all too many injuries which seems to have plagued this team for the last 4-5 years. 

My question is if you realized this was a rebuilding year why be so critical.

Hetch 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hetch got carried away. My mom passed away in 1985. This is not a Hitchcock movie.

Hi Pumpsie, 

I might have gotten carried away a bit but why all of the drama or what ever in your writings. We knew the pitching might swing one way or the other. hoping that if Lester and Buch could return to form they be be the nucleus of a solid rotation hinging on whether Lackey could come back for one. I think he'll come around but pitchers after TJ surgery can take a bit more time to come back.  Doubrant has not looked good so far and he's only in his second full season of MLB, but he may also never be any better. The hope would be that with Farrel around to help he'll improve. Dempster despite a few rough outings has been pretty solid overall, just not getting much run support.

The major problem as I see it is a thin bullpen which just is suffering from overwork and all too many injuries which seems to have plagued this team for the last 4-5 years. 

Hetch 

To be perfectly honest, this thread was half tongue in cheek. I am not going to the nearest bridge any time soon and while I still think that fourth place is our likely destiny this year, there is still an outside chance, if our major players can stay healthy and the cards fall right for us, we could possibly remain in the race for a playoff spot. This is by no means a championship caliber team IMO.
    As to your question, I think that the FO should have committed itself completely to a rebuilding project that would have produced an excellent team by 2015. They did not do that. They hedged their bets and tried to field an acceptable team, but not a great team, this year thereby detracting from our chances to win a ring in 2015 or thereabouts. There are folks here who want to enjoy every season and feel that there is a chance for the playoffs every year, and I respect that, but for my part, I would rather suffer through another aweful season in exchange for some consistently excellent teams beginning in a few years. They could have done that by trading away guys like Ellsbury and Salty and limiting Victorino's contract to two years (yes, he's done great so far this year, but I do not believe he will contribute like this in year 3 of his contract). Glad everyone except for Conan, who is a wart on this forum, has had so much fun with this thread.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

PG..What did you think of my assesment that I wrote above on this page? I think its pretty realistic with numbers to back it up.

Here is what you wrote:

We have a solid 1-2 and so far we have a very dependable #3. Dempster has done very well despite the record. lack of run support has killed him. I have little faith in our #4 and #5 though. I disagree that our pitching is even close to as terrible as it was last year. Im not sure how you can say that when all the numbers discredit your opinion.

1-3 starters

W-L 13-4 24 starts, just under a 3 ERA  159.1 IP (6.2avg) 113H  47ER  166K 1.05 WHIP batter have a .200BA against them. ( record could easily be 15-2 with some runs support in 2 Demp starts)

I agree about Lester and Buchholtz. They seem to be pitching well so far. Much depends on if they can stay healthy. Bucky in particular has a history of getting hurt. If they can stay healthy all year (a tall order) it would certainly help our cause. Dempster I am not sold on yet. I do not trust him. I think he is going to implode as the season progresses.

4-5 starters

W-L 4-5  5.20 ERA  11 starts  59IP ( just under 5.1 IP per start) 74H  35ER  62K  1.62 WHIP  batters hitting .300 against them, (Doubront could easily be 1-3 if not for good run support)

You have to admit, Doubront and Lackey have stunk so far. And who is behind them for "depth"? These two have to really pick up their game for us to have any chance at the playoffs.

As of late, offensively we havent had the timely hits needed to win. Simple as that. Ebbs and flows of a long year. Too many K's as well. Injuries to the pen have made that look worse than it really is.

Thats what the 1st 3 months are for in a season. Identifying your needs and then changing what needs to change. They have the $$, depth and prospects if they need to make a move. Im not going to panic though just because of a bad 2 weeks filled with injuries and a couple sub par performances.

Good pitching by our opponents has prevented us from getting timely hits until tonight. Yes, the K's are a problem. Who do YOU see as striking out less? And the injuries are part of the game. I am never going to use injuries as an excuse. Look at the roster: WMB is has not proven himself yet; Ellsbury is having an off year; Gomes and Carp and Ciriaco are not good players. There are too many gaps to fill in during one season. Its a two or three season job IMO.

I think WMB is young and still adjusting. Over the last couple games he seems to be taking a new approack, which has resulted in a 2b and a HR, along with making better contact altogether. I thiunk he will always have his share of K's, but should cut down a bit if he stays with this approach. naps K's a lot, but its to be expected with a power bat. Gets fooled a lot I notice.

I wasnt using injuries as an excuse, although it might have appeared that way. Just stating what has happedned and that we need to compensate for those injuries. It is hard though when 2 closeres go down since its a very specific mindset.

I think Carp has done what he needs to as a bench guy and Im hoping if Gomes can get more regular playing time he can get his timing down. his playing time has been erratic at best so far this year. Ciriaco is a waste of a roster spot IMO.

Have to wait and see on Dempster. So far so good though IMO. We'll check back on him in July.

Like I said though, the first 3 months are to evaluate and then make the necessary moves needed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

wow Pumps, on May 15th ??

Hi Jete, this is actually about a week later than Pumpsie usually calls the season.  ;-)

In all fairness, Pumpsie waited until July, 2007 to call the RS the biggest chokers in history.

That didn't happen to correspond to the 2-8 stretch the Sox had in July of that year, did it?

No way Pumpsie would use such a small sample size to judge the whole season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Hi Pumpsie, 

Hetch 

To be perfectly honest, this thread was half tongue in cheek. I am not going to the nearest bridge any time soon and while I still think that fourth place is our likely destiny this year, there is still an outside chance, if our major players can stay healthy and the cards fall right for us, we could possibly remain in the race for a playoff spot. This is by no means a championship caliber team IMO.
    As to your question, I think that the FO should have committed itself completely to a rebuilding project that would have produced an excellent team by 2015. They did not do that. They hedged their bets and tried to field an acceptable team, but not a great team, this year thereby detracting from our chances to win a ring in 2015 or thereabouts. There are folks here who want to enjoy every season and feel that there is a chance for the playoffs every year, and I respect that, but for my part, I would rather suffer through another aweful season in exchange for some consistently excellent teams beginning in a few years. They could have done that by trading away guys like Ellsbury and Salty and limiting Victorino's contract to two years (yes, he's done great so far this year, but I do not believe he will contribute like this in year 3 of his contract). Glad everyone except for Conan, who is a wart on this forum, has had so much fun with this thread.

I've found that when people feel the need to preface a statement with "to be honest", they're not...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

AL East title is up for grabs this season and the Sox are in the mix. The day has just begun. Wake up and smell the coffee.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Hi Pumpsie, 

Hetch 

I've found that when people feel the need to preface a statement with "to be honest", they're not...

I have to admit B, I don't much care what you have found.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I can see the handwriting on the wall Jete. Just like last year. When you don't have the talent its hard to compete over a full season. I am sticking with my original prediction: about 81 wins, no better than fourth place.

And I'm sticking with my original prediction that you're afraid to bet on YOUR prediction.

How about it?  A little tag bet on whether or not they play > .500?

Or you have no confidence in YOUR prediction?

You want to bet, go to Las Vegas.

Just giving you a chance to stand behind your opinion.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I can see the handwriting on the wall Jete. Just like last year. When you don't have the talent its hard to compete over a full season. I am sticking with my original prediction: about 81 wins, no better than fourth place.

[/QUOTE]
    I predicted the same thing.  And they're quickly heading for .500

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I ain't hear no fat lady!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The sun is only about halfway up the afternoon sky.  It's mid-May. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hi Jete, this is actually about a week later than Pumpsie usually calls the season.  ;-)

In all fairness, Pumpsie waited until July, 2007 to call the RS the biggest chokers in history.

That didn't happen to correspond to the 2-8 stretch the Sox had in July of that year, did it?

It was during that stretch where we played 16-19 on the road.  We actually played pretty well, but the NYY had one of those crazy scheduling quirks where they played BA, TB, KC, and WS, the four worst records in the AL, 21 times in 25 games.  The NYY win 18-25, so Pumpsie called the RS chokers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

And I'm sticking with my original prediction that you're afraid to bet on YOUR prediction.

How about it?  A little tag bet on whether or not they play > .500?

Or you have no confidence in YOUR prediction?

You want to bet, go to Las Vegas.

Just giving you a chance to stand behind your opinion.

So according to you one has to BET to stand behind their opinion? I stand behind my prediction, but when I want to bet I go to Las Vegas. You should do the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Seriously ....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It was during that stretch where we played 16-19 on the road.  We actually played pretty well, but the NYY had one of those crazy scheduling quirks where they played BA, TB, KC, and WS, the four worst records in the AL, 21 times in 25 games.  The NYY win 18-25, so Pumpsie called the RS chokers.

Sounds like par for the course...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts