1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: As the Sun Sets on another Sox Season

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

With all due respect Max, only a fool would believe this was a totally serious claim. There is still a lot of baseball to be played. I am sticking to my prediction, which has always been my prediction, that we will be about a .500 club this year. I would be delighted to be wrong about it, but thats what I have been saying since before the season started. 81 wins; no playoffs.

Going 44-57 the rest of the way is going to suk...Cry

[/QUOTE]

But, it's bound to happen.

The Sox are just 4-10 against Texas, in their last 14 games, don't you know.

Destined for .500

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

He still doesn't seem to understand he said the season was over on May 15.  That's pretty definitive.  Now, despite what he says, he is in the position of having to root against the Sox for the rest of the season rather than admit he was wrong on May 15. 

With all due respect Max, only a fool would believe this was a totally serious claim. There is still a lot of baseball to be played. I am sticking to my prediction, which has always been my prediction, that we will be about a .500 club this year. I would be delighted to be wrong about it, but thats what I have been saying since before the season started. 81 wins; no playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Only a fool would post something like this.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Pumpsie Green's comment:

"With all due respect Max, only a fool would believe this was a totally serious claim."  ....

..."Guess you are one of the gullible ones. Have fun with the thread. Its why I started it."

In response to Potomac87's comment:

At least you admit that you were pretending / insincere / dishonest / and only trolling us. That is one step in the right direction. The forum is dependent on posters who love to annoy / fool / irritate / and incense the gullible of the forum. Good job Pumpsie - the forum depends on the troll element. Love these FUN threads that predict doom and gloom for our team. What is unbelievable is how many enable and fall for your "tongue-in-cheek" routine / trolling.

Guess you are one of the gullible ones. Have fun with the thread. Its why I started it.

[/QUOTE]

No further comment needed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So let me get this straight: Pumpsie is saying the original post wasn't serious and anyone who took it that way is gullible.  But he's also confirming that he still thinks the Sox will in fact only end up around .500.

I'm so gosh-darn puzzled now...Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

So let me get this straight: Pumpsie is saying the original post wasn't serious and anyone who took it that way is gullible.  But he's also confirming that he still thinks the Sox will in fact only end up around .500.

I'm so gosh-darn puzzled now...Wink

He has risen CYA to an art form.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to jackbu's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Both feet in his mouth now.

LMAO

Nothing making you laugh today?

Your pathetic stalking bu bu clown.

Seriously, you seek out posters all day and you call me a stalker?  Just had a bet with someone that you would respond within minutes, thanks.

Seriously, why not just put Conan the Moron on ignore where it deserves to be? Life is much more pleasant here that way. Nothing he writes is worth reading, much less commenting on. His is a vapid mind, devoid totally of intellect and baseball acumen. Why would you want to subject yourself to the plague he perpetrates here?

[/QUOTE]

I like that Conan riles you so much.  Kudos to Conan!

[/QUOTE]

Conan doesn't rile me at all, any more than an amoeba could rile me. I just think he is a useless half wit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. That kind of finish was a characteristic of many previous Red Sox teams. While I hope we do not finish that way, I think its likely we will not play over .500 ball for the rest of the season and finish close to where I predicted we would finish. I guess you could say, if you believe the season is over if we do not make the playoffs, that the season was over before it even started, assuming my prediction is correct. If I am right there will be a lot of folks eating a lot of crow on Oct 1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. That kind of finish was a characteristic of many previous Red Sox teams. While I hope we do not finish that way, I think its likely we will not play over .500 ball for the rest of the season and finish close to where I predicted we would finish. I guess you could say, if you believe the season is over if we do not make the playoffs, that the season was over before it even started, assuming my prediction is correct. If I am right there will be a lot of folks eating a lot of crow on Oct 1.

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  Sure, there will be a lot of dissapointed people.  But I don't know about 'eating crow'.  Your prediction isn't exactly bold.  Given that only a handful of clubs make the post-season, and that the Sox are coming of their worst season in like 100 years, your prediction is actually the safest, hedge-your-bet, easy way out.

What people are criticizing you for is not your bold prediction of failure.  It is that, since you don't actually provide any insight as to why you see a club at the top of the AL for the first 2 + months of the season imploding, other than "well, they have in the past", your "prediction" is just lazy gloom, not based in baseball thought.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  Sure, there will be a lot of dissapointed people.  But I don't know about 'eating crow'.  Your prediction isn't exactly bold.  Given that only a handful of clubs make the post-season, and that the Sox are coming of their worst season in like 100 years, your prediction is actually the safest, hedge-your-bet, easy way out.

What people are criticizing you for is not your bold prediction of failure.  It is that, since you don't actually provide any insight as to why you see a club at the top of the AL for the first 2 + months of the season imploding, other than "well, they have in the past", your "prediction" is just lazy gloom, not based in baseball thought.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. In a word: pitching. I don't think Lester is a great pitcher; that leaves one bona fide excellent SP for us-but one who is injury prone. I see CB spending a significant amount of time on the DL. Also, Lackey is most likely not going to continue to toss sub 3 ERA baseball all year, and I do not trust Dempster or Doubront at all. Our pitching finished at #12 of the then 13 AL teams last year, and in the long run, I don't see that we have improved to the top third of AL teams through our offseason moves. If we finish middle of the pack in pitching thats an improvement, and if we finish with 81 wins or so, thats a 12 game improvement over last year. If some of our minor league pitching prospects can come up and help the club next year I think we will move closer to contention for the playoffs. Its June 7, way too early for our coronation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. In a word: pitching. I don't think Lester is a great pitcher; that leaves one bona fide excellent SP for us-but one who is injury prone. I see CB spending a significant amount of time on the DL. Also, Lackey is most likely not going to continue to toss sub 3 ERA baseball all year, and I do not trust Dempster or Doubront at all. Our pitching finished at #12 of the then 13 AL teams last year, and in the long run, I don't see that we have improved to the top third of AL teams through our offseason moves. If we finish middle of the pack in pitching thats an improvement, and if we finish with 81 wins or so, thats a 12 game improvement over last year. If some of our minor league pitching prospects can come up and help the club next year I think we will move closer to contention for the playoffs. Its June 7, way too early for our coronation.

[/QUOTE]

I am in total agreement that June 7 is way too early for coronation.  But, might I suggest that your endearing eyore-fan-profile might be causing you to mistake exuberance over an admittedly surprising excellent start for coronation.  You will have to forgive those of us that are pumped.  We are not crowning anyone, and as Sox fans of ancient and recent history, we are always ready for the other shoe to drop.  

I only offer you this:  the pitching might be better than you are coloring it.  

I agree that Lester is and has always been (slightly) overrated.  But he is not the ace of this staff.  That mantle is now Buchholz's.  Can Clay keep it up.  Yup, long as he's stays healthy.  he has done it before when healthy and he is a better pitcher now than he was then.

Lester is a very solid #2.  You say that his ERA will continue to rise.  I don't think so, and I am basing that on his performance flow in his career.  Every year, even in good years, he goes through prolonged stretches where he scuffles.  Then he recovers.  I think he will do this again this year.  And i do not see him repeating 2012, because he never had even a good stretch like he started with this year.  So, my analysis, at this juncture, still sees 2012 as an outlier.

No, Lackey is not going to have an ERA under 3 all season.  But, he is pitching very differently than he has since arriving in Boston.  Very solid #3.  Don't know why he will suddenly fall off a cliff since his stuff and his approach are both much better than the last 2 years pitching with half an arm.

Dempster and Doubront?  No, I don't trust them either, but find me a trust-worthy 4 and 5.  Pretty hard to do.  

Pen is looong.  Necessary as it will shorten.  Law of baseball.  But this year, there are enough arms there to weather the inevitable arm-loss.  

Depth.  Morales in the hole if Dempster/Doubront falter.  Also, I won't sleep yet on Webster.  He had one really solid outing and one rookie-call-up-spot-start clunker.  Verdict is still out.  But, perhaps strater depth there, this year.

I don't know.  Will they stay healthy?  You never know?  Will any of these guys fall off a cliff?  Sure, anything is possible.  But, I think you are are selling this staff short.  Especially if you do a little comparitive analysis across the league.  Find me a better staff.  OK, Texas.  Tigs?  Well, a better rotation perhaps, but pen isnt as deep.  You can find deep flaws with pitching anywhere.  But, my take is this:  No idea whether this club can battle into the playoffs.  But, if they do, I will take Buchholz/Lester/Lackey and this pen in any series, all day long.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Excellent posts, Space.  Now we await Pumpsie's reply, in which he will respond to  your points by merely restating what he's already said in slightly different words. Laughing  

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Excellent posts, Space.  Now we await Pumpsie's reply, in which he will respond to  your points by merely restating what he's already said in slightly different words. Laughing  

I agree with you. Space has stated his opinon clearly, concisely, and logically. IF Lester can improve (his ERA in the last nine games is 4.42; that must improve for us to make the playoffs) and IF Buchholtz can stay healthy (don't forget his history!) and IF Lackey doesn't fall apart along with Dempster and Doubront and their ERAs remain respectable and IF our bullpen stays healthy and deep then sure, we can contend for the playoffs. Thats a lot of IFs. Sure, it could happen, but I am not counting on it-ESPECIALLY the part where Lester's ERA is better than 4.20. I think he is the key. If he cannot start to pitch like a #2 SP then our chances are zilch.

Space has his opinion; I have mine. Nothing I have seen so far (its June 7) has made me change  my mind that this is a .500 team at the end of the day. If we are playing .600 ball by late August I will need to admit I was wrong. Thats nearly three months away. We will see who was right about this team then.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree with you. Space has stated his opinon clearly, concisely, and logically. IF Lester can improve (his ERA in the last nine games is 4.42; that must improve for us to make the playoffs) and IF Buchholtz can stay healthy (don't forget his history!) and IF Lackey doesn't fall apart along with Dempster and Doubront and their ERAs remain respectable and IF our bullpen stays healthy and deep then sure, we can contend for the playoffs. Thats a lot of IFs. Sure, it could happen, but I am not counting on it-ESPECIALLY the part where Lester's ERA is better than 4.20. I think he is the key. If he cannot start to pitch like a #2 SP then our chances are zilch.

Space has his opinion; I have mine. Nothing I have seen so far (its June 7) has made me change  my mind that this is a .500 team at the end of the day. If we are playing .600 ball by late August I will need to admit I was wrong. Thats nearly three months away. We will see who was right about this team then.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pumpsie but if the Sox do play .600 ball through august you will still be crying about something...just like you did every year that I have known you. Lester has always been a better pitcher in the second half of the year...even last year he was so I would expect him to pitch pretty well as we go into summer. You also have to look at our competition and apply your what if's to them...CC, Pettite, Kuroda, Hughes and Phelps....lot of what it's to that group, how about Hammels, Chen, Gonzalez,  Tillman and what ever rookie they call up from AAA this week or even the Rays....Price is on the DL...Hellickson has a higher ERA than Lester and is really struggling...Moore has been really good but they have been calling up kids left and right to start games for them...some have done well and some have not. The Blue Jays have been a disaster. Oakland has done pretty good pitching wise...but Colon has been one of their best and it sounds like he may get hit with a 100 game suspension....Texas has Holland and Darvish...after that they look kind of thin to me...Detroit...Verlander doesn't look right to me but they have a decent rotation Scherzer and Sanchez look good...Porcello has a high ERA. We all have to hope for our guys to stay healthy...there isn't a single team that is in the hunt that would relish losing one of their starting pitchers right now. The only team I see that has a stronger one-two punch than Buchholz and Lester is Texas with Darvish and Holland....and if you watched last nights game it would be awful hard to convince anyone that Holland is a whole lot better than Lester right now...he was in trouble through out the game and was really lucky he was ahead 3-2 when they took him out...and Buchholz has outpitched everyone on the planet so far this year...Darvish, Verlander...Hernandez.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Potomac87's comment:

The issue here isn't accurate predictive models or differences in opinions. It is whether we take alarmist thread titles such as " The Sun sets on another Sox Season" seriously especially when its author confessed that it was "tongue in cheek" and that anyone who takes him seriously is a fool. Such threads and their authors should best be ignored.

Well, if "such threads and authors should be best ignored" why are you posting here? Let me try to explain it to you: in the middle of May there is about 4.5 months of baseball left. So is it over, or is it not over? The season as far as I can tell moves on. As for the Sox chances, I do not think a .500 record is going to get them into the playoffs. I have never wavered about my estimate of how many wins we will get this year: 81 or so (=+/- 3 games).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pumpsie but if the Sox do play .600 ball through august you will still be crying about something...just like you did every year that I have known you. Lester has always been a better pitcher in the second half of the year...even last year he was so I would expect him to pitch pretty well as we go into summer. You also have to look at our competition and apply your what if's to them...CC, Pettite, Kuroda, Hughes and Phelps....lot of what it's to that group, how about Hammels, Chen, Gonzalez,  Tillman and what ever rookie they call up from AAA this week or even the Rays....Price is on the DL...Hellickson has a higher ERA than Lester and is really struggling...Moore has been really good but they have been calling up kids left and right to start games for them...some have done well and some have not. The Blue Jays have been a disaster. Oakland has done pretty good pitching wise...but Colon has been one of their best and it sounds like he may get hit with a 100 game suspension....Texas has Holland and Darvish...after that they look kind of thin to me...Detroit...Verlander doesn't look right to me but they have a decent rotation Scherzer and Sanchez look good...Porcello has a high ERA. We all have to hope for our guys to stay healthy...there isn't a single team that is in the hunt that would relish losing one of their starting pitchers right now. The only team I see that has a stronger one-two punch than Buchholz and Lester is Texas with Darvish and Holland....and if you watched last nights game it would be awful hard to convince anyone that Holland is a whole lot better than Lester right now...he was in trouble through out the game and was really lucky he was ahead 3-2 when they took him out...and Buchholz has outpitched everyone on the planet so far this year...Darvish, Verlander...Hernandez.

[/QUOTE]

And you will still be wearing those lovely rose colored glasses. No matter what the situation may be, the Red Sox can do no wrong in your book. I have read your posts for years and I will give you one thing only: at least you are consistent. Unfortunately, you lack the capacity to see the weaknesses in the team-in any year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't worry about it....has Pumpsie ever been right with one of his end of the world prediction's...Sealed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And you will still be wearing those lovely rose colored glasses. No matter what the situation may be, the Red Sox can do no wrong in your book. I have read your posts for years and I will give you one thing only: at least you are consistent. Unfortunately, you lack the capacity to see the weaknesses in the team-in any year.

[/QUOTE]

I see the weakness's....but I also look at other teams and I don't see any of them that don't have them also. The Red Sox have done plenty wrong...the hiring of Bobby Valentine last year was a huge mistake...extending Beckett when they didn't have to....giving Lugo 36 million dollars and it goes on and on. You should try being a little more optimistic it's easier to get out of bed in the morning if you haven't cried yourself to sleep every night.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Potomac87's comment:

The issue here isn't accurate predictive models or differences in opinions. It is whether we take alarmist thread titles such as " The Sun sets on another Sox Season" seriously especially when its author confessed that it was "tongue in cheek" and that anyone who takes him seriously is a fool. Such threads and their authors should best be ignored.

Well, if "such threads and authors should be best ignored" why are you posting here? Let me try to explain it to you: in the middle of May there is about 4.5 months of baseball left. So is it over, or is it not over? The season as far as I can tell moves on. As for the Sox chances, I do not think a .500 record is going to get them into the playoffs. I have never wavered about my estimate of how many wins we will get this year: 81 or so (=+/- 3 games).

PIKE, nuff said

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts