1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: As the Sun Sets on another Sox Season

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

To be fair to Pumpsie, I have always been a night owl.  So, one could look at it from a night owl's perspective:  things are now fun as the sun has set.

PG is a good guy. We do razz him on our game thread for saying the game is over in the 4th inning all the time. like he did last night when Morales had the beses loaded. He is our resident negative nancy, but we like him just the way he is :)   we are an accepting fraternityWink

Got that Southpaw....wonder if "Newbie" is paying attention.

This thread is serving the purpose I intended. Lots of fun for everyone. Hopefully Conan is getting high blood pressure over it, but for me, its all in good fun. Any fool who thinks I was serious when I said the season is over before June 1 is just that: a fool. As for the rest of us, have all the fun you want with this thread. Its why I started it. For my part, I am sticking to my prediction of about 81 wins this season, hoping I am wrong and that we get to finally watch some October baseball that INCLUDES the Red Sox.

that was the point of my post PG. I knew you were having some fun, and so was I ;) see you tonight at the "frat house"

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pumpsie has a nasty problem with 'premature evacuation'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yeah. Every morning after my cup of coffee.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yeah. Every morning after my cup of coffee.

One of life's great wonders.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

that was the point of my post PG. I knew you were having some fun, and so was I ;) see you tonight at the "frat house"

Except that I don't think he was just having fun.  I think he just wanted to be the first one off the bus, just so in case we failed, he could say he was the first one off the bus.  And now that the bus is continuing its ride down the highway, he hedging his bet.  Kind of a passive-aggressive thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Except that I don't think he was just having fun.  I think he just wanted to be the first one off the bus, just so in case we failed, he could say he was the first one off the bus.  And now that the bus is continuing its ride down the highway, he hedging his bet.  Kind of a passive-aggressive thing.

I am sticking to my prediction of about 81 wins this year, but obviously I am hopeful for more. I would be only too happy to eat some crow if we make the playoffs. I will also say that the "experts", prior to the season, did not rank the Red Sox as a likely playoff team either. I agreed with them, and despite the fact that its now June and we are still in first place, I have not changed my mind at all. I think we are one key injury to our main contributors on the pitching staff away from oblivion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It was a beautiful sunset last night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I am sticking to my prediction of about 81 wins this year, but obviously I am hopeful for more. I would be only too happy to eat some crow if we make the playoffs. I will also say that the "experts", prior to the season, did not rank the Red Sox as a likely playoff team either. I agreed with them, and despite the fact that its now June and we are still in first place, I have not changed my mind at all. I think we are one key injury to our main contributors on the pitching staff away from oblivion.

Most teams are one key pitching injury away from oblivion.  We're not really that unlike most good teams.  We are a .500 team 3-5, and a .700 team for our 1-2, or .580.  If we lose Buchholz or Lester, the it becomes (4*.500+1*.700)/5, or .540, which won't be enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

LOL Bob

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

You'll be happy to know that your favorite site, Coolstandings, has the Sox playoff chances at 76.5% and the chances of winning the division at 52.4%.  It also has the Sox expected wins at 95.9.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am sticking to my prediction of about 81 wins this year, but obviously I am hopeful for more.

So, you are basically projecting 48-59 the rest of the way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

how much longer before the people aboard that sun start asking..are we there yet?..Sealed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It was a beautiful sunset last night.

It was cloudy here Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I am sticking to my prediction of about 81 wins this year, but obviously I am hopeful for more.

I think we are going to hit the skids in August and Sept. I am sticking to what BOTH of us thought at the beginning of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

You'll be happy to know that your favorite site, Coolstandings, has the Sox playoff chances at 76.5% and the chances of winning the division at 52.4%.  It also has the Sox expected wins at 95.9.

I think they consistently overrate the Red Sox chances. They also show the Rays with a better chance of making the playoffs than the Yankees, and the Indians with a better chance than either of those two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I think we are going to hit the skids in August and Sept. I am sticking to what BOTH of us thought at the beginning of the season.

You act like someone recognizing they are wrong and admitting it is a bad thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think they consistently overrate the Red Sox chances. They also show the Rays with a better chance of making the playoffs than the Yankees, and the Indians with a better chance than either of those two.

Coolstandings doesn't 'overrate' anybody.  It's not based on opinion.  It uses mathematical calculations based on run differential, strength of schedule etc.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I predicted a .500 record as well...as long as the top 2 starters produce, i see no reason why it cant be ten games better...

but it is a long season and June is our cruelest month (apologies to TS Eliot)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I projected slightly better: 82-84 wins. My guess is we end up with more (86-88), but I do project a few rough times ahead.

I'm not too impressed by other teams. I thought some would be much better, but maybe they will be over the last 100 games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

You act like someone recognizing they are wrong and admitting it is a bad thing.

I am not admitting anything of the sort. I would love to have to admit I was wrong at the end of the season, but its still June 2. Don't forget: we won 69 games last year. Even if we won 80-82, thats a tremedous improvement. I certainly didn't-and don't-expect more improvement than that. Improving by 12 games this year and 12 games next year should put us where we want to be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Coolstandings doesn't 'overrate' anybody.  It's not based on opinion.  It uses mathematical calculations based on run differential, strength of schedule etc.

Do you know the exact formula they use to arrive at their numbers? My understanding is that the prime factor is run differential, not strength of schedule. I never said it was a subjective opinion, but I do think that saying the Sox have a 76+% chance of the playoffs is an overestimation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Mathematical formulas's can't overrate?  Even if it's objective it can overrate or underrate re  baseball or other projections.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to croc's comment:

Mathematical formulas's can't overrate?  Even if it's objective it can overrate or underrate re  baseball or other projections.

Of course they can overrate. They can fail to include important factors-injuries, remaining home games, when players may return from injuries (or are they out for the season), depth of starting pitching etc etc Bob knows better. I think he made a mistake.

Sections
Shortcuts