Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team

It would be great off season revenue PR for Crawford. Ask him and his agent to agree to modify his contract by 3 to 4M a year reduction over final 6 years, only if the Red Sox need CBT relief when signing a fellow Union member to try and help the disgraceful 2011 team, perhaps a starting pitcher or pen arm FA. Crawford would still end up with about 120 million or 17 million a year average. Incentives could be added that are easily obtainable, on the back end of the contract.

Show him Ted Williams' quote about hitting .400 is the least he could do for all the money he was being paid.

Fact is he would probably end up making all of the money back in good will, in his final contract and/or retirement.

He would then be admired by Red Sox fans, and would serve as inspiration for a very selfish loser team of 2011.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team

Are you kidding with this? The MLB players union wouldn't allow it. Remember when the Sox and Texas agreed in terms for a trade for A-Rod and the Union turned it away because A-Rod had agrred to changes in his contract that would reduce contract value. This will never happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yes, I remember when A-Roid contract ended up with the Dark Side. I said to avoid A-Rod like the plague.

That said, running through the MLBPA woud do Crawford well, even if they arrogantly refuse to allow a conensual contract modification.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and softy pretends to be a lawyer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's a nice thought, but I'm afraid that it is rather ridiculous to think it would happen........but I'll admit, it's a shame that is the case, you see players resructure their contracts all the time in other sports (NBA & NFL) for the team but you never see it in baseball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Why should he?  Would You?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

This is crazy. No way Crawford is going to give up anything. The players association would never allow it anyway. Ain't happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Brilliant Hank/Softy--- another lame thread from a know it all.  Keep up the good work---lol.  Next you will suggest why Ellsbury should be traded--- wait you have already done that over 1000 times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If he wants to help out, volunteer to play RF.  I don't care if the RS go over.  I do care to have the flexibility to sign a LFer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ask softy to ask CEOs of large companies who got huge bonuses as their companies went under or nearly went under (some at a huge cost to the US taxpayer) to give some money back, and you'll get a different answer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen.
    Why?
    Why not everyone on the team?

Could you imagine the union?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team:
    Ask softy to ask CEOs of large companies who got huge bonuses as their companies went under or nearly went under (some at a huge cost to the US taxpayer) to give some money back, and you'll get a different answer.
    Posted by moonslav59

Why doesn't John Henry give some of his salary back for providing such a lousy product in 2011? He draws a salary just like anyone else in the Red Sox organization. Owners today do not put their own money into the teams like the rich owners of the past. They draw their pay and make sure their risks of personal losses are at a minimum. It's not as if Henry pays the players from his personal bank account. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Players can form their own league, in regards to Marx/Neo-Democrat public policy advocates and hypocrites. 

The biggest bailout cost to taxpayers was GSE bailouts and UAW bailout. The biggest cost of all to taxpayers is Marx policies. 

but I'll admit, it's a shame that is the case, you see players resructure their contracts all the time in other sports (NBA & NFL) for the team but you never see it in baseball

Crawford could do worse for his PR strategy. Nice to see you get it.

Some fans are happy to see a half a billion spent on indolent labor. I'd like to see some Big Labor accountability. 

And for stupid, Crawford contract was, on value and fit, stupid as as stupid does, Inespstein.

Needless to say, the collective IQ on this board is not much more than CJ Wilson and surfing MLBTR 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

One time I agree with Hank.
    Look many of us know that the MLBPA will never let it happen.
    However it would still be good publigity for CC.
    I would add that maybe the RS could then sue the MLBPA for not allowing the team to negotiate with it's own employees and the employees to develope their own worth.
    It is all about freedom to work for and with whom how ever you want.

To allow a union to block an employee or person from developing their own worth is IMHO against the constitution and law.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team:
    In Response to Re: Ask Crawford to Agree to a Contract Modification to Help The Team : Why doesn't John Henry give some of his salary back for providing such a lousy product in 2011? He draws a salary just like anyone else in the Red Sox organization. Owners today do not put their own money into the teams like the rich owners of the past. They draw their pay and make sure their risks of personal losses are at a minimum. It's not as if Henry pays the players from his personal bank account. 
    Posted by devildavid

What owner ever paid players from their personal bank account. And lousy product? How is it Henry's fault? His GM put together a team that after five months of the season had the best record or second-best record in the A.L after five months. So how was it Henry's fault that the team collapsed in September. It was the fault of the players and people in charge of the team -- GM, manager and coaches -- who didn't do their job. Expecting an owner to micromanage at that level -- then geez, why hire GMs and managers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...Expecting an owner to micromanage at that level -- then geez, why hire GMs and managers.

'cause he wouldn't have as much time on his yacht.

Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Scary contract comparison:

Crawford : 142 Mil + incentives (appx)
    Valentine :   4 Mil

There's somethig wrong with this picture.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

A better idea might be for the Sox to simply spend their money more wisely.

Tampa made the post-season with  payroll of like $45mill last year.  I am pretty sure that the Sox payroll exceeds that amount even if you deduct Crawford.

If they would just build the team right the first time, they wouldn't need all these quick fix hired guns...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The players union. I bet that was who put Werth on the Nationals. I'm sure he's thrilled. In his press conference he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Makes it better for some players, others not so much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If publicity mattered to players, Burnett, Lackey, A-Rod, Youk, and a hundred other players would walk into the GM's office with checkbook in hand and say, "Sorry, my bad, here is a couple of million to make up for my failures last year". And they would do this with every beat writer there to witness it.

Guess what, publicity mattters to only those players who have major endorsement contracts and CC is not one of them.

I do agree with the comment that baseball guaranteed contracts are completely insane. I would also like to see teams have the ability to restructure contracts with players agreement. But I think that ship has long passed into the night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

These issues are negotiated in the CBA.  The Players' Union is going to do everything it can to prevent players from giving back guaranteed money.  I don't recall posts in this Forum where posters have suggested that players be given a bonus when their performance exceeds expectations following signing a Contract.  We could probably list as many instances when a players production exceeded expectations as we can list a player who did not meet those.  That is why a Contract is looked at as a whole, and we, fans, should look at Carl Crawford's performance over the life of his current Contract.  Maybe when his current Contract with the Red Sox expires, we will think he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The union would go for it if it benefitted crawford ... which it still could, depending on how it is laid out.   Craw stands to make a ton of endorsement money, this would help that cause.  

Backloading can sting you in the butt latter on though ... so maybe it is not the best way to solve the money issue.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Right, that will happen.  Name the last baseball player with a guaranteed contract that gave anything back to his team.  The Sox tried it with A-Rod before he went to the Yanks and were told no e-ffing way by the MLBPA. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The union would go for it if it benefitted crawford ... which it still could, depending on how it is laid out.   Craw stands to make a ton of endorsement money, this would help that cause.   Backloading can sting you in the butt latter on though ... so maybe it is not the best way to solve the money issue.  
    Posted by soxmeister

Do you mean re-work the contract with deferred money or with a vesting option?  Still think it's a long shot. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Soxmeister - where is it that ad agencies are clamoring for Crawford? In fact, unless your name is Lebron or Jeter, I don't see much else in sports adverts. Not sure about the local end of things, but I would imagine that Pedey, Gonzalez, and Lester would be the bigger catches.

The thought of Crawford giving up one red cent is just never happening.

Sections
Shortcuts