Assignment or Mission Impossible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Assignment or Mission Impossible?

Hey, "fans" ... got an assignment for you.  I think it's a Mission Impossible for some of ya ...

Start a positive thread about the Sox.  Say only good stuff.

What's that you say?  They are playing poorly right now?  Even the last free radical in my body knows that .... everyone knows that.

But how about - in this tough time - you pick out something good and say it.  I know it's tough.  Even when they had the best record you couldn't say anything positive, without adding a conditional negative.

But right now, three games left, season on the line, playoffs looming, team slugging through injury and hardship ...

try it.

Only a positive.  None of the conditional stuff, which is just negativity crouched in a thin outer suit of positivity ...

Bet ya can't.

I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Assignment or Mission Impossible?

Definitely mission impossible.

However, the Sox, having gone through a September from the nether regions, are not out of it.  I don't know about vocal leaders, but they do have some upbeat guys like Pedroia, AGon, Ellsbury, and even Ortiz.  Plus Crawford, Lowrie, Salty, Tek, Scutaro, and Drew know they have something to prove in the remaining three games and possibly the playoffs.  Francona too will not hesitate to make key moves that might hurt feelings. 

If Beckett can start out strong and the Sox score early, there is a chance to make things a lot tougher for the Rays. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Good Morning Mr. Phelps.....

...these are the Baltimore Orioles , suspected terrorists and notorious drug dealers and responsible for left-wing insurgency in countries like Nicaragua and in the Philipines....

...your mission should you decide to accept it , is to send a baseball team into their home park and beat them.

Do it by any means you can , just win the games...

This team has been supplying these international villains with hope....

...they must be stopped at all costs, the secratary will disavow any knowledge of your actions....good luck, Jim.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

We have a 1 game lead with three to play!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK........   Here goes.......

All positives:
    1)  Ells is having a HISTORIC YEAR for a leadoff hitter.  Or...  any hitter :)
    2)  It makes me happy to see Ells prove to Softy what most of knew all along :)
    3)  A-Gon. has had a great year, & I think he will only get better over the next..
    4)  Beckett is BACK!  :)
    5)  Paps is BACK!   :)
    6)  Papi is BACK!   :)
    7)  Pedey is BACK!  :)
    8)  Salty has developed into a solid catcher with a great deal of UP SIDE!  :)
    9)  Tek earned his paycheck helping to develop Salty!  :)
    10)  Scutaro..After a rocky start & much criticism, has had an excellent year! :)
    11)  Bard is Back!  :)
    12)  Aceves has been more than anyone ever expected!  :)
    13)  Lowrie, when healthy can really hit!
    14)  Lester will redeem himself!  He will get better!  :)
    15)  Dice-K is gone :)
    16)  Buch should be great long term :)
    17)  Yuke could play in the PS :)  fingers crossed!
    ***   There's more positive out there, but I'm worn out by all the positivity.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

three positives i can say about the redsox....1.i was impressed with lackey's outing last night, he really kept us in that one and im surprised he didnt implode like he usually does. 2. Jacoby Ellsbury has been terrific all year and congrats to him on hitting the 30 & 30 mark...3. i have been very impressed with mike aviles since hes been here, he always gives 100% no matter what the situation and you gotta respect and love that as a fan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think they are ready to break out again.

I think they had some concerns with the BP, which made everyone play tight.  I think the BP has proven they can hold a lead, which should allow the starters to loosen up and pitch without having to worry about being perfect.

The offense has always been there, but they should be able to play looser knowing that they can win without having to put up 10 runs.

They have a monster offensive night and a great pitching outing by Beckett.  they win 10-2.

Down by 1 game with 2 games left makes Tampa tighten up tomorrow and they lose big.  Sox clinch tomorrow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Love the fact that the Sox are in charge of their own destiny...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Assignment or Mission Impossible?:
    [QUOTE]Good Morning Mr. Phelps..... ...these are the Baltimore Orioles , suspected terrorists and notorious drug dealers and responsible for left-wing insurgency in countries like Nicaragua and in the Philipines.... ...your mission should you decide to accept it , is to send a baseball team into their home park and beat them. Do it by any means you can , just win the games... This team has been supplying these international villains with hope.... ...they must be stopped at all costs, the secratary will disavow any knowledge of your actions....good luck, Jim.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Excellent. You out-did yourself!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time the Red Sox missed the playoff didn't they win the WS the following year? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

team slugging through injury and hardship ...

All teams have injuries. That was the excuse, last year. Define "hardship", in baseball terms.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]team slugging through injury and hardship ... All teams have injuries. That was the excuse, last year. Define "hardship", in baseball terms.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Classic Guitarman,

I am sorry to tell you, you're the only one to not post in a way that is positive.  Even Max was positive, that it was an Impossible Mission.

Last year injuries weren't the excuse, they were the body count.

This year?  I don't know what to say if Tommy John surgery and a broken back take out 40% your rotation and that isn't injury.  I don't know what to say if every other starter - maybe not Lester - has been on the DL.  That is usually reserved for the injured.  Jenks has been out almost all season.  JD Drew was out for a very long time.  Bard and Paps haven't been on the DL nor Aceves - but almost all of the rest of the pitching staff has been - heck, even Bedard cooled his heals ... Pedey was hurt,  Big Papi was out, Youk has been out, Carl has been out, Lowerie has been a yo-yo ... even Adrian has been playing hurt and being blamed for not hitting like when he was healthy...

And with all of that, the Sox over came a terrible start to play the best baseball in the majors until the pitching came apart a few weeks ago ....

Hardship? 

Jee, I dunno.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Great season for Ellsbury. He has amazed me all season long.

From May through July the Sox were a powerhouse team. If that team returns, watch out!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

S.Y. schools Softone.
    Poor stock market is no excuse for Softone's alibi's managing billions".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Sox have enough all*stars on their team to absorb said injuries, most teams only dream of that luxury.

Imagine having Dice-K out and Bucholz on the DL and still having Lackey, Beckett, Wakefield, and Lester on your staff.

Imagine having Youk out for the season and Ortiz and Drew unable to play and still being able to field Perdroia, Crawford, AGon, and Ellesbury.

Sorry guys but the behemoth team you call the Red Sox have a roster full of players that most teams can only afford to have a fraction of - there are no injury excuses.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You mean depth as in starting Weiland in key series?
    No team can compete with 4 key starters out/compromised by injury, etc.

The slide directly coincided with team losing Beckett/Bedard, on top of Buch and co.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have enough all*stars on their team to absorb said injuries, most teams only dream of that luxury. Imagine having Dice-K out and Bucholz on the DL and still having Lackey, Beckett, Wakefield, and Lester on your staff. Imagine having Youk out for the season and Ortiz and Drew unable to play and still being able to field Perdroia, Crawford, AGon, and Ellesbury. Sorry guys but the behemoth team you call the Red Sox have a roster full of players that most teams can only afford to have a fraction of - there are no injury excuses .
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito,

A wise man once told me that there is a difference between reasons and excuses.  Reasons are valid explanations as to a situation going bad.  Excuses are just a weak attempt to get by the issue at hand.

Certainly there is a luxury of personnel ... but not really over rmuch so.  But when one loses the CALIBRE of the player(s) involved it begs for reason not excuse.  For instance, losing Dice-K for the season was a blow, but on this board alone the value might have been considered less than earth shaking.  Compound that loss with the loss of a 1A Ace like Clay, whose value was considered universally higher than Dice-K ... and all of a sudden a dent becomes a hole. 

Youk was less than 100% all season ... One cannot really think that the loss of a healthy Youk wouldn't have had dire effect.  Throw in the injuries to his mate to his left, Lowerie, and the hitting suffers and the fielding suffers.  So does your bench strength ...

These are not injuries that stand alone, my friend, but compound the situation.  Poorer fielding, even as the Golden Gloves are absent or limited by injury .... and all of a sudden the balls stopped by leather are being missed and the third out turns into a two out rally, over and over, and a a bad pattern starts to develop ...

It is bewildring why the pitching cannot keep other teams down right now ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I really think with this past month it has nealry turned me to indifference. We outspend most teams and we will continue to sign big salaried players just because we can, not because we need to. I don't feel sorry for this team at all.

This team should not go big next year on bringing in more studs, and we should look within to fill our gaps.  

I honestly don't know enough about Iglesias but if he can field than I am prepared to lose on offense to have a young, low salaried, and potential gold glover in the infield. 

I expect that Crawford will turn it around, and that the Sox keep Ellesbury at least one more year. Right Field we may bring an outsider in but only for cheap and short term. We have the 4th OF in our system already, and we may have our future RF in house to.

The pitching staff for better or worse only has one open spot, maybe two if they can unload Lackey. Our staff 1 thru 3 needs to do its job, they should be the best 1-2-3 in the AL.

I do realize it may be a bIg mistake but I would like to see an entirely new manager and coaching staff in here - I won't stand on a pedestal and shout about all day but I do feel this way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I really think with this past month it has nealry turned me to indifference. We outspend most teams and we will continue to sign big salaried players just because we can, not because we need to. I don't feel sorry for this team at all. This team should not go big next year on bringing in more studs, and we should look within to fill our gaps.   I honestly don't know enough about Iglesias but if he can field than I am prepared to lose on offense to have a young, low salaried, and potential gold glover in the infield.  I expect that Crawford will turn it around, and that the Sox keep Ellesbury at least one more year. Right Field we may bring an outsider in but only for cheap and short term. We have the 4th OF in our system already, and we may have our future RF in house to. The pitching staff for better or worse only has one open spot, maybe two if they can unload Lackey. Our staff 1 thru 3 needs to do its job, they should be the best 1-2-3 in the AL.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I think Scut has done an admirable job and I think we ought to keep him on even as Iglesias learns how to hit ... but I am not far from agreeing with you on most things here .... except the indifference.  I think we have our RFer already and maybe more than just one .... I think our future 3bman is almost perfectly setting up as Youk seems to be getting hurt so quickly ... Lavarnway may well be a far better MLBer than expected, so catcher is also an inside job.  I think Miller is about ready to become a consistent pitcher.

I just got in and my typing is terrible -brain must be tired - so I think I'll stop.

Stiff upper lip, Burrito.   Stiff upper lip! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes on the RF. I suspect however Theo will screw with RF has much as he has SS and Reddick/Kalish won't get the proper opportunity.

I won't remain indifferent as my life goal is to see the Sox win 28 straight WSC and the Yankees never win even one more in my life  Cool

SinceYaz I had added a final paragraph to my above post so before you say you agree with most of it you might want to read it.