Astros claim RP Josh Fields ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Astros claim RP Josh Fields ...

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dgale, you are one of the posters I take the time not to scroll past all the drivel and blather on this Board. Well stated.

[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Dgale's posts as well.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Likewise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's also a sign that we could have traded some guys beforehand to make room for these 2.

[/QUOTE]

Very possible. Also possible that we trade two guys to open up the roster and protect Fields and Pressly  and then  Jeremy Hazelbaker and Miguel Celestino get picked with the 5th and 8th picks, who I personally like better as prospects. Who knows.

If we had made a 3 for 1 deal, we could have kept all 4 of these guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's also a sign that we could have traded some guys beforehand to make room for these 2.

[/QUOTE]

Very possible. Also possible that we trade two guys to open up the roster and protect Fields and Pressly  and then  Jeremy Hazelbaker and Miguel Celestino get picked with the 5th and 8th picks, who I personally like better as prospects. Who knows.

[/QUOTE]

My math hasn't been very good today, but wouldn't it just be two guys we could have protected in a 3-1? 3-1=2...... 2 extra slots....protect Fields and Pressly, still leaves Hazelbaker and Celestino unprotected.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My math hasn't been very good today, but wouldn't it just be two guys we could have protected in a 3-1? 3-1=2...... 2 extra slots....protect Fields and Pressly, still leaves Hazelbaker and Celestino unprotected.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant to say two 3 for 1 deals, but even a 3 for 1 and a 2 for 1 would protect 3 of these guys. Or, we could have traded 40 man roster players for prospects that do not need to be protected on the 40-man roster.

My guess is we are going to trade Salty anyways.

We could have traded some of these guys: Salty, Breslow, Ellsbury, Aceves, Melancon, Miller, and maybe someone like Pimental as well. 

I wanted to do this before finding out we lost Fields, just to improve our quality over quantity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes a relief pitcher. relax. Doesnt anyone wonder why at age 27 hes still in the minors? Sure he had a breakout year and finally got some control. He looked awful in the Dominican winter league...

12.00 ERA 2.17 WHIP 8K 7BB 6IP

I know...Small sample. But the point was he didnt have good control until this year and he could easily revert right back as we can see with 7 walks.

I dont care about a relief pitchers. Olmstead was good too, but there are plenty of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hes a relief pitcher. relax. Doesnt anyone wonder why at age 27 hes still in the minors? Sure he had a breakout year and finally got some control. He looked awful in the Dominican winter league...

I know...Small sample. But the point was he didnt have good control until this year and he could easily revert right back as we can see with 7 walks.

I dont care about a relief pitchers. Olmstead was good too, but there are plenty of them.

[/QUOTE]

This was just one advantage of making a couple 2 or 3 for 1 deals earlier. It wasn't even the most important one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This was just one advantage of making a couple 2 or 3 for 1 deals earlier. It wasn't even the most important one.

[/QUOTE]

We agree on this Moon. Without a doubt. Maybe they couldnt include them in a deal becaiuse teams werent interested. Im sure BC tried to get some value from them.

Im also sure he realizes how many rule 5 eligible players he will have next year as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We lost the 1st and 4th players in this draft and you can only lose two players. A good sign that the Red Sox system is freakin deep.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is not too late to trade Fields and Pressly.   Teams work out trades for Rule V picks all the time.   If Houston or Minnesota works out a trade, they would not have to keep the player on their 25-man roster for an entire year.

I'd be surprised if a trade was not worked out for Pressly, since the Twins obviosuly like him, but it will be tough for him to spend an entire year on the 25-man roster.  Even Fields might struggle to do that, but he is a little older, more durable and has pitched above AA ball...  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We agree on this Moon. Without a doubt. Maybe they couldnt include them in a deal becaiuse teams werent interested. Im sure BC tried to get some value from them.

Im also sure he realizes how many rule 5 eligible players he will have next year as well.

[/QUOTE]

How long would any conversation go before they got to the names of the Pawtucket bullpen?

Now the Sox know who wants Fields and who wants Pressly.  I expect a trade to be worked out for Pressly.  Fields is a little less likely, but it could also happen.  That way neither team has to return the player if he does not stick all year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I saw Fiields a lot in Portland.  He had some really good stuff.  Not the biggest deal in the world that he is gone but too bad regardless.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why is everyone concerned about keeping these guys?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You can't keep control of a player forever. That is the whole idea of Rule 5.  It comes down to talent evaluation in deciding who to protect on the 40 man.  Just based on the stats , I would have protected Fields ahead of some others.   Making a 3 for 1 trade is okay if it makes the team stronger.  I would not do it solely to make room on the roster for a marginal minor league prospect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can't keep control of a player forever. That is the whole idea of Rule 5.  It comes down to talent evaluation in deciding who to protect on the 40 man.  Just based on the stats , I would have protected Fields ahead of some others.   Making a 3 for 1 trade is okay if it makes the team stronger.  I would not do it solely to make room on the roster for a marginal minor league prospect.

[/QUOTE]

Me too. I have to say that I think Ben's management of the 40 man roster is questionable.