Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

From MLB Trade Rumors

The Astros are showing a willingness to trade Hunter Pence, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. Rival executives expect GM Ed Wade to trade Pence, Olney reports.

The Braves, who may be close to acquiring a right-handed bat, have enough prospects to pry Pence away from Houston. However, Atlanta has interest in Jonny Gomes and others, including Carlos Beltran.  The Pirates have also been eyeing   Pence, who will cost a lot in terms of prospects.

Pence, 28, is hitting .315/.356/.478 with 11 home runs. The two-time All-Star is under team control through 2013, but he won't be cheap. He earns $6.9MM this year, so a $10MM payday is within reach next year, with another raise likely in 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

I'd love to see Pittsburgh get proactive and get this guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I'd like to see him in a Red Sox uniform. Who cares about Pittsburgh or Atlanta?
    This guy is a proven commodity, not a one month wonder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i too would like to see him in a sox uniform and he is one of the few guys i would give up josh reddick for. I think we match up really well with the astros in terms of a pence trade. It would start with reddick and go from there. Maybe they would want navarro, maybe a pitcher like weiland or dubront. I think the sox would have no problem getting a deal done for pence. We would have a crazy good line up if we got pence:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    youk
    ortiz
    pence
    crawford
    salty
    scutaro

You could switch pence and ortiz against lefties. Best line up in the league right there. Hands down. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

YES...an unequivical yes..He has proven himself over more than two seasons and would end the need in right field for a player entering his prime who hits for average,has right-handed power,is more than effective in the field and,reportedly,is a solid citizen and good in the locker-room.He will cost them in terms of prospects even the best prospects are just that,maybe's,he has proven himself in the majors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

He's the prototype RF for the Sox! Not sure the they could sign a better player for 2012 and beyond. If I were the Sox, I'd give the stros a list and let them have the pick of the litter...

Ranaundo plus one position player not named Iglesias

Dobrount plus two position players not named Iglesias

Weiland plus two position players not named Iglesiad and another arm...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

have to agree with Beantowne. Pence is everything the sox are looking for in a rightfielder of the future and the astros are willing to move him. Make it happen theo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

What would you trade for a RHH rightfielder who hits .282/.325/.461? That is what Pence hit last year, and (within minor variation) what he hit from 2008-2010.

This year, Pence boosted his BABIP by 75 points to hit .315, with his other averages rising accordingly. He isn't walking any more often, isn't striking out any less often, doesn't seem to be hitting the ball harder, and as far as I can tell isn't doing anything different. BABIP (and thus batting average) is known to be prone to fluctuation, so when that is the ONLY aspect of the hitting profile that has changed, I'm suspicious.

Austin Jackson's decline this year was widely predicted, because his .396 BABIP was clearly unsustainable (even with his great speed).  Now that his BABIP has fallen to a more normal .340, his BA has fallen off the table.

Pence has a .377 BABIP this year -- equally unsustainable. (And yes, Reddick's BABIP is also unsustainable. Nobody debates that one.)

I'm not opposed to trading for Pence, you just need to be clear on what you are really getting in return. Unless he gets a boost from switching parks (and he hits very well at home in Houston), his batting average is likely to revert to the ~.280 range.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]What would you trade for a RHH rightfielder who hits .282/.325/.461? That is what Pence hit last year, and (within minor variation) what he hit from 2008-2010. This year, Pence boosted his BABIP by 75 points to hit .315, with his other averages rising accordingly. He isn't walking any more often, isn't striking out any less often, doesn't seem to be hitting the ball harder, and as far as I can tell isn't doing anything different. BABIP (and thus batting average) is known to be prone to fluctuation, so when that is the ONLY aspect of the hitting profile that has changed, I'm suspicious. Austin Jackson's decline this year was widely predicted, because his .396 BABIP was clearly unsustainable (even with his great speed).  Now that his BABIP has fallen to a more normal .340, his BA has fallen off the table. Pence has a .377 BABIP this year -- equally unsustainable. (And yes, Reddick's BABIP is also unsustainable. Nobody debates that one.) I'm not opposed to trading for Pence, you just need to be clear on what you are really getting in return. Unless he gets a boost from switching parks (and he hits very well at home in Houston), his batting average is likely to revert to the ~.280 range.      
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Nice post.
    In addition, Pence is an unknown in the tougher A.L.
    He is expensive.
    Reddick is not, and has plenty of upside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

I would give them reddick/kalish, iglesias, any pitcher not named ranaudo (if we could stay away from doubront that would be great), and maybe a throw in if that is what it takes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

No way - he's not what we need.  The reason we want a RH OF is to hit lefties, which Pence does not do well (.759 OPS this year).  He's not an improvement for 2011, and we can do better in the off-season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

slomag,

how is he not an improvement? You expect reddick to hit .350 for the rest of the year? I think not. Pence is not exactly making big bucks. He is making i believe 7 mill this year. And i would like to know how you figure we can do better. Who could we get that is better than him? There is now way we can get matt kemp and his cost would be through the roof. And he is the only guy who would be an improvement. And his career ops vs lefties is .829 and he slugs nearly .500 against them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's in the N.L. Ask Dunn how he feels about A.L. pitching.
    Pence becomes very costly over time. Reddick/Kalish give the team cheap upside.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

sure the sox should be interested, but they will have to determine at what cost might this guy come from houston.

houston is looking for a big haul of top level prospects.  so, is pence worth what the sox gave san diego for gonzalez?  trading them middlebrooks, lavarnway and doubront might actually be more value than kelley, fuentes and rizzo.

with the sox seemingly having trouble producing right handed power hitters (at every position) for some time, i would not give up so soon on middlebrooks and lavarnway.  neither may make it, but both could be 'middle-of-the-lineup" power hitters for many years to come.   i can't even seem to remember the last right handed power potential guy that has come through the sox system and i have been watching them since 1958.

they knew that rizzo was going to be an excellent player with power, but he also only played the same position as gonzalez and, of course, he was also left handed.  kelley may or may not make it and fuentes might just be a one dimensional guy even though he was a first round draft pick.

i would very much rather see iglesius included in a deal for pence, but maybe would rather see the sox chase down a young starting pitcher than a right fielder who may do no better than reddick for the last 65 games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Any Pence deal would involve Reddick, for starters.
    Pence doesn't fit Theo's MO for plate discipline. His OBP in the N.L. is .338.
    He's 4 years older than Reddick and will be very costly in terms of $$$ and prospects. I'll pass.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Pence...I do, but right now offense is a luxury to this team and Pence will become very expensive relatively soon.  I'm very happy with the upside of Reddick/Kalish.  If for whatever reason those guys under-perform there are some real good lower level prospects with HIGH ceilings (Jacobs/Brentz/Hazan...others) who may be MLB ready in several years....around the same time that FA market will render top players such as Pence and Kemp and others.  We can lay out the money for a monster RF in 2 years.  So to me you'd be giving up the farm for an elite outfielder for 2 years. 

With this offense I would be completely content with seeing what Reddick/Kalish can do, because to me worst case scenario (worst worst case would be D.L. never play again) those two won't cost the team anything defensively.  I like the financial flexibility of at least seeing what these youngsters can do to fill in the holes over the next couple years; Iglesias/Doubront/Reddick/Lavarnway....etc.

So Theo should be interested,  especially in a player as talented as Pence if the price is right.  But if Houston wants an arm and a leg, which they've said they needed to "overwhelmed" to move him....then I'd pass. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

okay you cannot compare pence to adam dunn. Dunn is a power hitter who always hit for a low average and struck out a ton. Pence is actually a good hitter who hits for average. His hitting skills would translate much better than dunns did to the AL. Also pence would be making the transition at a younger age than dunn and pence is in his prime. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-He'll cost a lot.

2-Right now, we're getting good production from a Reddck/DMac platoon.

3-The best way to improve the team with the best offense in BB is not necessarily by adding more offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]okay you cannot compare pence to adam dunn. Dunn is a power hitter who always hit for a low average and struck out a ton. Pence is actually a good hitter who hits for average. His hitting skills would translate much better than dunns did to the AL. Also pence would be making the transition at a younger age than dunn and pence is in his prime. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Not comparing Pence to Dunn. Just pointing out how league transition can affect productivity. Ya never know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

1-hitting .395 with runners in scoring position

2-Enough said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

We don't need Pence. Our offense is impeccable, let's work on making our defense impenetrable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

1) It's .304 w/RISP career

2) He's a career .266 hitter from the 7th-9th innings.

3) .338 OBP

4) In the retirement league.

5) Enough said

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We already have a star outfielder heading towards a big payday in 2014....Pence will get paid in 2014 as well.  Can't have both so either way you need someone else to man rightfield.  I'd take my chances with Reddick for the time being.....I like the team we have now. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsydla. Show jsydla's posts

I like Pence but not at the price it would take.  He's good but not great.  They need to get more prospects not give them away.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Pence could be had for Kalish, Doubront, Lowrie and Bowden, all prospects Brad Mills is very familiar with from his time here, I would make that deal. Even throwing in another top prospects but nobody in the top 5.

Sections
Shortcuts