Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

He's a career .291 hitter and some poster starts bringing in some new psycho-cyber-stat crapola saying he's going to revert to a .280 average. BASED ON WHAT???
    As for going to the AL from the NL, how did that work for Miguel Cabrera?
    How about JBay in Boston from Pittsburgh? How about Adrian Gonzalez?????
    Jose Bautista anyone?
    Can we stop to baloney that NL guys are going to die because they switch leagues?
    Pawtucket plays in a league with plenty of NL AAA teams. Same with the entire system.
    Pence, all day long!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

I say Theo goes for Tim Stauffer of San Diego, VERY UNDERRATED pitcher in final year of his contract. His ERA is 2.84 and is 6-6 but could easily have 10 wins if you look at his work this season. He is 29 years old and was the #4 pick in the draft after being a 1st team all american at Richmond University. The kid also is a lifelong Red Sox fan and likely to want to badly resign with Bosox after the season. His family still resides in the North East. He would be an ideal number four starter or possibly better for the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ERAs in SD are over-rated, but I like Tim also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

pass on pence
    stay with reddick & go for reyes at ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Pence is a FA in 2014

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

NO!  RF is the position that needs to be filled by the farm system.  I'm all for a rental player (i.e. Ludwick, Francoeur) but not for bringing in a long term solution.  Pence is a very good player, but he wouldn't make sense for the Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    He's the prototype RF for the Sox! Not sure the they could sign a better player for 2012 and beyond. If I were the Sox, I'd give the stros a list and let them have the pick of the litter... Ranaundo plus one position player not named Iglesias Dobrount plus two position players not named Iglesias Weiland plus two position players not named Iglesiad and another arm...
    Posted by Beantowne

Id Love to see Pence here but Im willing to bet Ranaudo and Iggy will be OFF LIMITS..Count on it...take your pick besides those two..Plenty left to choose from..I still believe Reddick is the real deal though..watched him through the minors and he has had a steady progression to the top..No reason to believe he wont succeed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Theo should engage in his usual poker match with Houston. Depending on what happens in the negotiations Pence's price could rise or fall.  My guess is it will fall somewhat and if the package is similar to what we gave up for Victor Martinez and less like the package to obtain Gonzo I would probably do it.  Here's why:  we all love Reddick but he has benefited from limited advanced scouting to this point. Once Reddick is a regular his batting practice displays will be much less frequent occurences.

No one really knows what Reddick will ultimately be but Pence is a known commodity at the big league level.  Pence hits for more power and has proven it in the bigs.  My guess is the Stro's will want both Kalsih and Reddick for starters and at least 2 more A + prospect from a choice of 5-6 people at Portland and Pawtucket.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    He's a career .291 hitter and some poster starts bringing in some new psycho-cyber-stat crapola saying he's going to revert to a .280 average.
    Posted by tbrod

Hm? That .291 sounds about right, but it is 25 points below what he is hitting right now. Do you seriously expect him to continue to hit .315 over the next 2.5 years?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

No one really knows what Reddick will ultimately be but Pence is a known commodity at the big league level.
    Posted by william93063

Just wondering, what do you KNOW that Pence will hit?

Not picking on you -- he is definitely easier to project than a wildcard like Reddick, but what exactly HAS he proven? And is that worth 2-3 good prospects?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

This aidnt happening!!  Houston would be asking alot of prospects along with few young MLB players such as Reddick in return.  Meaning Boston is going to give away possible four to five best prospects out of top 20 best prospects.  Boston already lost four or maybe more out of top 25 best prospects last winter for A-Gonz.  If the trade happen, meaning Boston will probably lready gave away top 8 plus prospects out of top 30 best prospects within 8 months.  That is way too much!!

Yes Hunter is a cheap contract player, but still, losing too many prospects will hurt the team in long term such as who will be call  up to replace a possible injure Lester or Beckett or Lackey or Dice K (if he come back to pitch next season), etc.  There will be no one left!!

Forget it!!  Theo will just find a way to make a trade by giving up few medium prospects!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

We already have 2 up and coming possible stud outfield prospects in Kalish and Reddick.  One of them will be just a s good as Pence and be a lot cheaper.  Our home growns are what makes the BoSox special for me.  Id be ecstatic to see either Kalish/Reddick and Inglesias in the starting line-up next year.  Save your money....Ellsbury will be looking  for a pay day in a couple years.

For this year go get a veteran right handed bat to help out the line-up.  Beltran if we dont have to give up a blue chip, Cuddyer, or Willingham.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

i am not quite sure why so many people seem to think that reddick will need a
    right handed hitter to platoon with.  so far, his numbers against lefties are pretty good.

reddick may not hit .375 all year, but that does not mean that he has to be platooned either.  

not every lefthanded hitter needs to be taken out of the game at the sight of the first lefty walking toward the mound.  there have been plenty of lefty hitters who play every day even if they are hitting .275.

as a recent local example, jd drew never had to be replaced for a right handed hitter until the last two years of his career.  from the boston past, i don't remember pete runnells having to be replaced every time there was a lefty pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I say Theo goes for Tim Stauffer of San Diego, VERY UNDERRATED pitcher in final year of his contract. His ERA is 2.84 and is 6-6 but could easily have 10 wins if you look at his work this season. He is 29 years old and was the #4 pick in the draft after being a 1st team all american at Richmond University. The kid also is a lifelong Red Sox fan and likely to want to badly resign with Bosox after the season. His family still resides in the North East. He would be an ideal number four starter or possibly better for the Sox.
    Posted by Celtics1986
    This is the guy we should go after

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Yes, he should be interested, and yes, I would trade for Pence, but I would make Iggy, Ranaudo, and Larvarnway untouchable. Kalish and Reddick are the first to get a bye-bye in any Pence trade, as he blocks the last available outfield spot. Kalish gives the Astros a Pence-like prospect, except with more discipline and a little less power, that should be ready in a year or 2 (would be ready now, but has an injured shoulder), while Reddick gives the Astros a ready replacement for Pence. Imagine a Kalish-Bourn-Reddick outfield in 2013. Then give the Astros Dubront (#2 starter quality in a few years) and Middlebrooks (Power bat with good glove in next few years). Add Lars Anderson (his stock has dropped this year, but is having a respectable year compared to Kelly's 2010, and look what Kelley brought us) as a throw-in if the Astros still aren't pleased.
     While that is quite a bit to give up for anybody not named Jose Reyes or Ubaldo Jimenez (the top position player and pitcher who even have a chance of being traded), the Astros are hoping to benefit from what looks like a career year so far for Pence and won't sell low. Besides, Dubront and Middlebrooks are the only people in the package who have a chance of being useful to the Sox in upcoming years (Pence would block Kalish and Reddick if we got him, and Anderson is already resigned to the fact that Gonzo is a blockade that connot be knocked down) so it's basically trading two prospects who could help you in future years for a right fielder who will help you now and should help in the future.
     I doubt Theo will trade for Pence, as Theo doesn't want to dump the farm after he already traded for Gonzo, and I commend him for that. If he got Cuddyer, Kuroda, or Garza, I would be happy.
     The best move that has a realistic chance of happening would be to trade for Beltran.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Pence would be a great pick up for the sox.  He is young would be around for a few years.  He is also a Dwight Evans type, would play rf defense that we havent seen since Dewey left. Has a cannon for an arm, which is needed in rf at fenway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the Sox should be wary about adding more Long Term salary for an outfielder when you already have Carl Crawford at his salary and Elllsbury contract coming up soon. If you trade for Pence, rather than over the next few years go with the low cost Reddick/Kalish, then most likely the Sox will not be able to resign Ellsbury......or have the flexibility to resign a Papelbon. I guess your one option is if you get Pence then you resign yourself to letting Papi walk. That way you can keep have a Reddick/Kalish on the team and can rotate through the Roster who the DH is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Interested? Yes! Cost? We'll see!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think the Sox should be wary about adding more Long Term salary for an outfielder when you already have Carl Crawford at his salary and Elllsbury contract coming up soon. If you trade for Pence, rather than over the next few years go with the low cost Reddick/Kalish, then most likely the Sox will not be able to resign Ellsbury......or have the flexibility to resign a Papelbon. I guess your one option is if you get Pence then you resign yourself to letting Papi walk. That way you can keep have a Reddick/Kalish on the team and can rotate through the Roster who the DH is.
    Posted by tomnev

Tom,
    The Sox have plenty of room in thier payroll to add on a guy like Pence, short and long term. The question that needs to be answered is do either Reddick or Kalish project to be 280-25-100 rbi guys with gold glove level defense in RF (which is about what you'd get from Pence hitting 6th). Adding Pence would balance our lineup and improve our team speed and defense. The cost that needs to be weighted is the prospects we'd have to move to make the deal vs his production for 2 1/2 seasons.

Ellsbury is still under our control through 2013 and with Boras as his agent will almost certainly play out his contract so in terms of roster constrution. I'd assume the Sox are already looking at replacing him for 2014 (if they can't re-sign him) adding Pence and then extending him in the interim would make losing Ell's a little easier and the focus then would be finding a leadoff guy...

Papi will probably be re-signed to a 2 year deal. Papelbon, could be back if the market doesn't get stupid this offseason. Though with Bard looking more and more like he's ready to assume the closer role they may chose to let Papelbon walk and use his salary slot else where....Last I checked the Sox have 126M in garanteed contracts for next year which leaves them about 40M to play with so they'll have plenty of capital to work with for 2012.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I would not include Iglesias, Ranaudo, Middlebrooks or Lavarnway.  I see all those as key (and low cost) pieces for the Sox in the near future.  Iglesias possibly next year, Lavarnway to share time with Saltalamacchia (Varitek becomes a coach), Middlebrooks to replace Youkilis (Youk leaves as FA or moves to DH) and Ranaudo in the rotation by 2013(?).  Other than those 4, I would include any 4 prospects the Astros wanted.  (Reddick and/or Kalish would probably be part of the deal.)  If that is not enough then I do not make the deal.  As has been said in other trade talks, the trade could help the Sox hold onto other prospects by clearing room on the 40-man roster.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"The question that needs to be answered is do either Reddick or Kalish project to be 280-25-100 rbi guys with gold glove level defense in RF (which is about what you'd get from Pence hitting 6th)."

Beantowne, what if one of them projects to be .270/20/90 with defense of that caliber? Is that worth $10M/year over the next six years for the upgrade?

How much are those extra five home runs a year worth to you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What exactly is broken on the Red Sox?  With an all-lefty outfield they have the best hitting in MLB and the best record in the AL and are playoff bound. 

Drew has been an issue in RF, but it sure looks like Reddick is going to take over out there, and so far he has been hitting up a storm.  Given the humoungous salary Crawford gets, I think the outfielder replacement funds are about tapped out. 

Theo should always be interested in all kinds of deals, but I doubt he pulls the trigger on this one. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I think the sox would be wise to trade reddick while his value is so high. Build a package for hunter pence around josh reddick would make sense for both teams. The stros would get their replacement for pence as well as other prospects. The sox would get a right handed hitting right fielder who could hit close to 30 homers playing in fenway and is a gold glove outfielder with one of the best arms in baseball. (which is needed to play rightfield in fenway) If we got pence we would have the best defensive outfield in baseball. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

maxbialystock,

The sox have the funds to extend a player like hunter pence. Drew is making 14 mill this year and cameron was making 9 mill. Thats 23 million right there (which pence would cost less than half of for the next 2 years). The leftover money can go to ellsbury as he will be making more through arbitration (if the sox dont sign him long term which theo has indicated he would like to do). The sox have lots of money coming off the books for next year. Drew ($14 mill), cameron ($9mill), scutaro($6mill), wakefield($2 mill), tek($3 mill), papelbon ($12 mill), wheeler ($3 mill), and i think we have an option on jenks for next year ($6 mill), and ortiz ($12.5 mill). So pence could easily be fit into the payroll. Now i am guessing the out of those guys only ortiz and paps will be back. So the sox will be fine. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I'd love to see Pittsburgh get proactive and get this guy.
    Posted by moonslav59

Do you think Houston would trade within the division? Maybe, to knock out Brewers and St Louis...

If Pence does go to Pitt, Im sure Garrett Jones would be expendible, which is a minor deal the Sox could do...

Sections
Shortcuts