Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

i doubt the pirates get pence. why would houston trade within the division when they could trade him to an AL team like the red sox. Doesnt make sense. I doubt the offer fromt he pirates would be better than the sox. Reddick is a perfect replacement for pence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I thought that Jenks was signed for 2011 and 2012. Do we have an option on Ortiz for 2012? Why is a costly RFer better than a cheap Reddick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

Don't do it. Reddick is hitting well so far against LHP, give him a chance. No need to do something drastic when you might already be sitting on gold. Opportunities like Pence are rare, but they happen, and if Reddick is for real then we don't want this to turn into a less-drastic Hanley Ramirez debacle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick is NOT Hanley Ramirez, who was touted from day one.
    Can we stop the dellusion that Reddick is Ted Williams? These pink hats just never see the big picture.
    This is the weakest producing OF in MLB, even with Ellsbury's great year.
    Juan Bautista has ten more HRs than the entire starting OF COMBINED! Get it???
    Pence is a proven commodity, and a rare terrific all around player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

If something works, don't fix it! Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. The Sox have the best O in MLB w/Drew contributing virtually nothing and struggling to keep his BA above the Mendoza line. Keep Reddick in RF and under no circumstances include Lavarnway in any trade discussions. He's 6'4", 225, and his D is getting better. Plug him in as bkup to Salty and if they don't resign Ortiz he becomes F/T DH. 35-40 hrs is feasible.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"Pence is a proven commodity, and a rare terrific all around player."

tbrod, you're a riot! Pence is **MAYBE** the fifth best right fielder in baseball. There are literally dozens of better players out there, albeit they are all either not available or play other positions.

Pence isn't "Mr. Right", simply "Mr. Right Now". A nice upgrade, not a game-changer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

tbrod, feel like reading my post first?

"less drastic" is the key word i feel you missed. the point is this kid is putting up superstar numbers, and while its unlikely that he will continue to produce like this, it is possible. Pence is a great player, but so is Beltran, and in particular, so is Reyes. The Mets have proportedly taken him off of the table, but Theo is pretty crafty, and if we are going to trade the farm, might as well get the best player out there. Pence is a great player, but Reddick's numbers in the small sample are better, and he is FREE. We would be giving away multiple prospects in this trade in return for production that we are already getting. Im not going to cry about it if Pence comes to boston, but I think we are just as well not making the trade. Theo's favorite phrase around this time of year is the best trade you make is sometimes the one you dont. The sox are already in first place, we are getting CB and Lester back soon, and we have other holes in the team which remain unplugged. I just dont like the risk-reward here given what we have to trade away, versus what else we could get in return, and for less.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]I would not include Iglesias, Ranaudo, Middlebrooks or Lavarnway.  I see all those as key (and low cost) pieces for the Sox in the near future.  Iglesias possibly next year, Lavarnway to share time with Saltalamacchia (Varitek becomes a coach), Middlebrooks to replace Youkilis (Youk leaves as FA or moves to DH) and Ranaudo in the rotation by 2013(?).  Other than those 4, I would include any 4 prospects the Astros wanted.  (Reddick and/or Kalish would probably be part of the deal.)  If that is not enough then I do not make the deal.  As has been said in other trade talks, the trade could help the Sox hold onto other prospects by clearing room on the 40-man roster.   
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

How I feel  pretty much

Maybe I'd include Middlebrooks

Kalish, Middlebrooks, Doubront and Bowden... I'd have to think long and hard about that one...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Really? FIFTH best RF?
    Who are the others?
    I can't wait to see the answer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : Just wondering, what do you KNOW that Pence will hit? Not picking on you -- he is definitely easier to project than a wildcard like Reddick, but what exactly HAS he proven? And is that worth 2-3 good prospects?
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Here is Pence's 162 game average from baseball prospectus.  While the OBP is a bit on the weak side at .339 his other numbers are solid a .291 career hitter who averages 34 doubles, 25 home runs and drives in 91 is a significant upgrade over JD Drew.  Also given the more disciplined and far stronger sox lineup I would say his OBP would likely increase along with his run production as pitchers will have several other dangerous hitters to contend with.

162 683 633 84 184 34 6 25 91 15 8 46 124 .291 .339 .481 .821 118 304 16 2 0 3 1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is NOT Hanley Ramirez, who was touted from day one. Can we stop the dellusion that Reddick is Ted Williams? These pink hats just never see the big picture. This is the weakest producing OF in MLB, even with Ellsbury's great year. Juan Bautista has ten more HRs than the entire starting OF COMBINED! Get it??? Pence is a proven commodity, and a rare terrific all around player.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Reddick was the #75 overall prospect in Baseball America's 2010 list.  And he's currently #46 overall on Scouting Book.  That's nothing to sneeze at, particularly if he's added plate patience to his arsenal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

in terms of the top 5

1. Jose Bautista
    2. Carlos Beltran
    3. Justin Upton
    4. Shin Soo Choo (who, this years injuries not withstanding, has been an offensive force for Cleveland)

Then Michael Cuddyer and Pence, with Matt Joyce and Jay Bruce belonging in that conversation too, and now Mike Stanton, though he is yet unproven.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]slomag, how is he not an improvement? You expect reddick to hit .350 for the rest of the year? I think not. Pence is not exactly making big bucks. He is making i believe 7 mill this year. And i would like to know how you figure we can do better. Who could we get that is better than him? There is now way we can get matt kemp and his cost would be through the roof. And he is the only guy who would be an improvement. And his career ops vs lefties is .829 and he slugs nearly .500 against them.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

He's not an improvement because we make the post-season with him or without him.  The only question is does he help us in key spots against tough lefties in that post-season, and the answer is maybe.  As in maybe Reddick will be still be hot (or hot again) and you wouldn't want to take the bat out of his hands no matter who you could replace him with.

In the off-season, when we're thinking long-term, we can look at names like Kemp (though I agree he would be too expensive), Upton, McCutchen, and Hanley, any of whom would be a better fit with higher upside.  How about Mike Stanton?  If we're talking about unloading the farm, there's no reason to think the cheap guys are off limits.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]in terms of the top 5 1. Jose Bautista 2. Carlos Beltran 3. Justin Upton 4. Shin Soo Choo (who, this years injuries not withstanding, has been an offensive force for Cleveland) Then Michael Cuddyer and Pence, with Matt Joyce and Jay Bruce belonging in that conversation too, and now Mike Stanton, though he is yet unproven.
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

Plus Lance Berkman and/or Ichiro - if you leave one of them off, you have to include the other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

I dont get the pence-boners. stats are NL numbers. in No pressure minute maid park.

I live in texas, sometimes hunter looks like he's throwing with the wrong arm, damonesque.

is this the equivalent of a "weak draft"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Helloooooo!!!!!!
    News flash! Bautista now plays 3rd base for the Jays.
    Berkman? Has anyone seen him in the field? Please.
    Choo is having a putrid season, and may have been a one year wonder.
    Upton is the only one I'd rate over Pence on that list.

"In the off-season, when we're thinking long-term, we can look at names like Kemp (though I agree he would be too expensive), Upton, McCutchen, and Hanley, any of whom would be a better fit with higher upside.  How about Mike Stanton?  If we're talking about unloading the farm, there's no reason to think the cheap guys are off limits.  "

Upton, Stanton and McCutcheon are untouchables, so let's cut the baloney.
    Why not add Ryan Braun while you're at it?
    How is Hanley a better fit? He STINKS at SS. After watching him blow games with his horrid fielding, he'd get run out of town.
    "Damonesqu arm" for Pence? Hey, 56 assists from right field since 2007 (leading MLB)say you're totally full of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

gotta agree with tbrod, no way we get any of those guys. But i dont see upton as a huge upgrade from pence. Yes he will probably hit more homers and is younger but upton is not very good defensively (he has 8 errors in rightfield this year), strikes out alot and is a career .275 hitter. And he would cost a ton more than pence in terms of prospects. Dbacks were asking for the agonz package for him the past offseason or clay buchholz. No thanks. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

Berkman totally slipped my mind, wow. He's at 2. Ichiro was awesome but I think this season is indicative of a downward trend, unfortunately. I hope not though, love watching him. Anyhow, I included Bautista because that is his listed position, and he could easily go back to playing RF. He IS a RF'er, until after this season, just as a-rod was still valid in the SS conversation until he had settled in at 3B.

And I dont care if Berkman looks like Ortiz in the field, take a gander at his offensive stats. When a guy produces that much, I dont care.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]From MLB Trade Rumors The Astros are showing a willingness to trade Hunter Pence, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. Rival executives expect GM Ed Wade to trade Pence, Olney reports. The Braves, who may be close to acquiring a right-handed bat, have enough prospects to pry Pence away from Houston. However, Atlanta has interest in Jonny Gomes and others, including Carlos Beltran.  The Pirates have also been eyeing    Pence, who will cost a lot in terms of prospects. Pence, 28, is hitting .315/.356/.478 with 11 home runs. The two-time All-Star is under team control through 2013, but he won't be cheap. He earns $6.9MM this year, so a $10MM payday is within reach next year, with another raise likely in 2013.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

I remember bringing this up a month ago and a few fans felt the Astros would never deal Pence.  Just proves anything can happen in the right situation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]gotta agree with tbrod, no way we get any of those guys. But i dont see upton as a huge upgrade from pence. Yes he will probably hit more homers and is younger but upton is not very good defensively (he has 8 errors in rightfield this year), strikes out alot and is a career .275 hitter. And he would cost a ton more than pence in terms of prospects. Dbacks were asking for the agonz package for him the past offseason or clay buchholz. No thanks. 

First off, you're comparing Upton's career from ages 19 - 23 to Pences from 24 - 28.  

Secondly, this is 2011 and batting average is nearly meaningless. Despite the age difference (Upton has likely not yet peaked), he has the better career OPS.

Lastly, the Upton's salary goes up dramatically over the next few years ($7M in 2012, then $10M, $14M, $14M) so he is not untouchable - the reason teams structure deals like that is so they can get the best years out of a player before shipping him off to a larger market club.

Players like McCutchen and Stanton would be more difficult to acquire, but nobody is untouchable.  We could deal Ellsbury for a couple of top prospects, then send them to the team in question (Pirates or Marlins) along with two top prospects of our own.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]gotta agree with tbrod, no way we get any of those guys. But i dont see upton as a huge upgrade from pence. Yes he will probably hit more homers and is younger but upton is not very good defensively (he has 8 errors in rightfield this year), strikes out alot and is a career .275 hitter. And he would cost a ton more than pence in terms of prospects. Dbacks were asking for the agonz package for him the past offseason or clay buchholz. No thanks. 

Oh, I forgot the most important thing.  Upton is a career .908 OPS hitter vs lefties.  Pence is a career .829.  And again, Upton is still improving.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have always loved McCutchen, but realize his cost would be skyhigh. I have mentioned the possibility of trading for him and taking on some salary with him (Maholm), but Pitt is still in the race.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a list of some OF'er on teams that may be sellers:

Houston (-25)
    OF Carlos Lee: 
    11:$18.5M, 12:$18.5M
    OF Hunter Pence: 11: $6.9M (won arb) plus 2 more arb years.

Chicago Cubs (-18)
    OF A. Soriano: 11-14
    :$18M annually
    OF K. Fukudome: 11:$13.5M
    OF M. Byrd: 11:$5.5M, 12:$6.5M

Baltimore (-17.5)
    OF N. Markakis:  11
    :$10.25M, 12:$12M, 13:$15M, 14:$15M, 15:$17.5M club option ($2M buyout)

Kansas City (-17)
    RF J. Francoeur: 11: $2.5M, 12:$4M mutual option

San Diego (-15.5)
    OF R. Ludwick: 11: $$6.775M 

Oakland (-15.5)
    OF D. DeJesus:
    OF Willingham: 11:
    $6M
    OF Crisp: 11: $5.75M

Los Angeles Dodgers (-13)
    OF A. Ethier: 11:$9.25M plus 1 arb year.
    OF M. Kemp: 11:$6.95M plus 1 arb year.
    Seattle (-12)
    RF I. Suzuki: 11
    :$17M, 12:$17M

Florida (-10.5)
    OF L. Morrison: 11: $.414M plus 5 years of control/arb.

Minnesota (-12)
    OF M. Cuddyer: 11:$10.5M club option
    OF J. Kubel: 11:$5.25M

Washington (-9)
    OF J Werth:
    11:$10M, 12:$13M, 13:$16M, 14:$20M, 15:$21M, 16:$21M, 17:$21M
    OF L. Nix: 11: $0.7M

NYMets (-8)
    OF C. Beltran: 11:$18.5M
    OF/DH J. Bay: 11:$16M, 12:$16M, 13:$16M, 14:$17M club option ($3M buyout)

Toronto (-9)
    OF Bautista:
    11:$8M, 12-55:$14M annually, 16:$14M club option ($1M buyout)
    1B/OF A. Lind:  11:$5M, 12:$5M, 13:$5M, 14:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 15:$7.5M club option ($1M buyout), 16:$8M club option ($0.5M buyout)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

[QUOTE]Really? FIFTH best RF? Who are the others? I can't wait to see the answer.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Bautista, Zobrist, Upton, Bruce? Choo, when healthy. Would mention Suzuki, but he is likely at the end of the line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : While the OBP is a bit on the weak side at .339 his other numbers are solid a .291 career hitter who averages 34 doubles, 25 home runs and drives in 91 is a significant upgrade over JD Drew.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Then again, almost anybody is an upgrade over JD Drew this year.

I like Pence. He is a good player, a good RBI man, a solid fielder with a strong arm. He is better than anybody the Sox have for the position this year (including Reddick). But to hear people talk, he's the second coming of Roberto Clemente and they've reserved a plaque for him in Cooperstown.