Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]nloading the farm, there's no reason to think the cheap guys are off limits.  " Upton, Stanton and McCutcheon are untouchables, so let's cut the baloney.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

That is kind of the point. If you have a chance to acquire a top young player, the sky is the limit! Anybody else, you first ask the price.

Pete Abraham suggested a package of Middlebrooks, Weiland or Wilson, Reddick, and more... To me, that is too much for anybody but an "untouchable" talent. That is the kind of package we gave up for Adrian Gonzalez.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"the reason teams structure deals like that is so they can get the best years out of a player before shipping him off to a larger market club."

The big market teams do this as well...

I get the impression that they attempt to set the arbitration-year salaries to mimic what they might get in arbitration. Perhaps this helps keep a lid on the escalation of the arbitration awards? It makes no difference to the luxury tax calculation, since that works off AAV.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"weak draft".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before this year, Pence had 3 pretty consistent seasons of about:
    .280/.330/.470/.800
    His BAbip was .301/.308/.304 (2008-2010)
    This year he is
    .316/.361/.484/.845 (all career highs except for his 108 game rookie season.
    His BAbip this year is .378.

One has to be concerned that this spike year may not be a result of him improving in his prime years, but rather partially due to luck.

Pence is a pretty good fielder. I have lived in the Houston area the last 4 years. I watch them play more than I want to admit. His arm is not bad, but not great either. His career UZR/150 is 5.4 which places him 14th overall in the OF, but 7th in RF at 6.4 out of the 19 who make the list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]Don't do it. Reddick is hitting well so far against LHP, give him a chance. No need to do something drastic when you might already be sitting on gold. Opportunities like Pence are rare, but they happen, and if Reddick is for real then we don't want this to turn into a less-drastic Hanley Ramirez debacle.
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

Nice slant.

Damn Wags, where the hell have you been?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Gold? Maybe you're sitting on hemmoroids?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Gold? Maybe you're sitting on hemmoroids?
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

http://youtu.be/wHb_iChJRCA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : http://youtu.be/wHb_iChJRCA
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Looks like Babe find work moonlighting...

Reddick could very well project better than Trot/Drew.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hunter Pence would be a great fit for Atlanta.

I do not think that Boston needs another bat.  They need PITCHING!!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

for what it's worth, Reddick is hitting a combined .274 this year. has 18 HR in 270 at bats.  The negative side was his low BA in AAA, but his power numbers were up, and his walk rate was up 3X and is still double what it has been at the MLB level.  People can hate on REddick and drool over Pence all they want, but the reality is Reddick is more than likely going to get a chance in RF......I doubt Theo is going to make any major trades for a bat.

So whether you think Reddick can do it or not, you should at least start hoping he continues to fulfill his potential, because unless he hits an 0-20 slump the next 10 days Theo is staying with hiim. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

FWIW

The title of this thread might not be accurate. I've been hearing on the radio that it has been reported that the Astros aren't going to trade Pence.

We'll see, I guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You mean we just blew off 5 pages?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not big on Pence. As I said, his BAbip is way over his career norm, and I'm not sure it is sustainable. However, I would love to get Wandy Rodriguez and would not mind taking on Myers deal to make it less player/prospect  costly. 

How's this for a blockbuster:
    (I thought of including local hero Crawford, but don't see them taking him even with the lost salary, unless Carlos Lee agrees to be traded too as a salary even upper)
    To Houston:
    OF: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish
    IF: Will Middlebrooks or Oscar Tejada or Sean Coyle
    C: Tim Federowicz or Luis Exposito (perhaps insisting on Exposito if they take Middlebrooks)
    P: Anthony Renaudo 
    P:  Kyle Weiland or Felix Doubront (possibly both without one of the next two)
    P: Michael Bowden or Jason Rice

To Boston:
    LHP W. Rodriguez: 11:$7M, 12:$10M, 13:$13M, 14:$13M club option ($2.5M buyout)
    RHP B. Myers: 11:$7M, 12:$11M, 13:$10M club option ($3M buyout)
    OF Hunter Pence: 11: $6.9M (won arb) plus 2 more arb years.

Houston saves a lot of cash and builds for the future of 3+ years away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Gold? Maybe you're sitting on hemmoroids?
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Let's not get personal, T.

Next you'll suggest he have them removed.

Now that is a rela pain in the butt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not big on Pence. As I said, his BAbip is way over his career norm, and I'm not sure it is sustainable. However, I would love to get Wandy Rodriguez and would not mind taking on Myers deal to make it less player/prospect  costly.  How's this for a blockbuster: (I thought of including local hero Crawford, but don't see them taking him even with the lost salary, unless Carlos Lee agrees to be traded too as a salary even upper) To Houston: OF: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish IF: Will Middlebrooks or Oscar Tejada or Sean Coyle C: Tim Federowicz or Luis Exposito (perhaps insisting on Exposito if they take Middlebrooks) P: Anthony Renaudo  P:  Kyle Weiland or Felix Doubront (possibly both without one of the next two) P: Michael Bowden or Jason Rice To Boston: LHP W. Rodriguez : 11 :$7M, 12 :$10M, 13 :$13M, 14 :$13M club option ($2.5M buyout) RHP B. Myers: 11 :$7M, 12 :$11M, 13 :$10M club option ($3M buyout) OF Hunter Pence: 11 : $6.9M (won arb) plus 2 more arb years. Houston saves a lot of cash and builds for the future of 3+ years away.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Don't think Houston would feel there's enough there.In reality that looks like 1 1/2 major leaguers , two grade A prospects and some AA/ AAA fodder in exchange for 3 major leaguers.Were YOU Ed Wade, would you make that deal ?

And I don't think Mr. Reddick is going anywhere !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

In Response to Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]From MLB Trade Rumors The Astros are showing a willingness to trade Hunter Pence, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. Rival executives expect GM Ed Wade to trade Pence, Olney reports. The Braves, who may be close to acquiring a right-handed bat, have enough prospects to pry Pence away from Houston. However, Atlanta has interest in Jonny Gomes and others, including Carlos Beltran.  The Pirates have also been eyeing    Pence, who will cost a lot in terms of prospects. Pence, 28, is hitting .315/.356/.478 with 11 home runs. The two-time All-Star is under team control through 2013, but he won't be cheap. He earns $6.9MM this year, so a $10MM payday is within reach next year, with another raise likely in 2013.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

No.. Reddick baby

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : Don't think Houston would feel there's enough there.In reality that looks like 1 1/2 major leaguers , two grade A prospects and some AA/ AAA fodder in exchange for 3 major leaguers.Were YOU Ed Wade, would you make that deal ? And I don't think Mr. Reddick is going anywhere !
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I'd certainly try for more, of course, like maybe both Reddick and Kalish and one more pitcher, but the fact is, Houston is not winning in the next 2-3 years as is. That means trading Rodriguez and Myers now for prospects due to rise in 3-4 years makes sense. We are loaded with "far-away" prospects and Houston is one of the few teams that may have a 3-4 year rebuilding plan in place this July. Most other "rebuilding" teams want prospects that are ready now or next year.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, again no one here has faith in teams Offense. I do. Pitching win Championships. Especially come play-off time.
    Phillies are all set up for this.

My proposed trade brings us 2 pitchers, one of which is a top flight starter (Wandy).

starters:
    1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buch/Wandy
    4) Wandy/Lackey
    5) Myers (Lackey)/ Wake

Long/Middle relief:
    1) Myers
    2) Wake
    3) Miller
    4) Aceves

Short relief/Closer:
    1) Papelbon
    2) Bard
    3) Albers
    4) Wheeler/Jenks/...

This is better than what we have now, especially if Buch does not return to 2010 form.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

And the Phils have two lefty dominant starters.
    If the Sox get to the WS, this lack of right handed hitting will come back to haunt them.
    They can beat up the garbage Baltimore throws at them, by the Phils and Giants are another story.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Another "false alarm" thread.
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bacyl

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]And the Phils have two lefty dominant starters. If the Sox get to the WS, this lack of right handed hitting will come back to haunt them. They can beat up the garbage Baltimore throws at them, by the Phils and Giants are another story.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

A very good point tbrod, the Sox could use a solid RH power hitter in a series against the Phillies.  Pence is the ideal player even though I love what Reddick has been doing.  The Sox could be one SP "if Clay is out" and/or a RH bat away from winning it all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]And the Phils have two lefty dominant starters. If the Sox get to the WS, this lack of right handed hitting will come back to haunt them. They can beat up the garbage Baltimore throws at them, by the Phils and Giants are another story.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I don't know that Pence's .759 OPS against lefties is going to strike fear into the hearts of Lee and Hamels.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : I don't know that Pence's .759 OPS against lefties is going to strike fear into the hearts of Lee and Hamels.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Pence is tradionally very good vs both LHPs and RHPs. He is having an off year vs lefties, but career:

vs LHPs .829
    vs RHPs .818

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Astros Willing To Trade Hunter Pence-Should Theo be interested? : I'd certainly try for more, of course, like maybe both Reddick and Kalish and one more pitcher, but the fact is, Houston is not winning in the next 2-3 years as is. That means trading Rodriguez and Myers now for prospects due to rise in 3-4 years makes sense. We are loaded with "far-away" prospects and Houston is one of the few teams that may have a 3-4 year rebuilding plan in place this July. Most other "rebuilding"ht teams want prospects that are ready now or next year.
    You may well be right. Certainly no MLB teams are asking ME to work in front offices.
    But Wade must face critics/ press/ fans etc. Maybe if we loaded up 3 A and AA sp's, Middlebrooks, Brentz, Jacobs,-----i.e. everybody BUT Reddick & Weiland.
    But I don't want that unless prize is Ubaldo, Felix, or equivalent.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts