At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

Having a healthy (and hopefully productive) in the lineup will help, but I'll tell you, it's nice to look at a team roster and not have a player listed under DH. It's great to have the flexibility to rotate position players into that position to give them a day off of playing in the field.

Agree?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

In response to ADG's comment:

Having a healthy (and hopefully productive) in the lineup will help, but I'll tell you, it's nice to look at a team roster and not have a player listed under DH. It's great to have the flexibility to rotate position players into that position to give them a day off of playing in the field.

Agree?

H E L L     NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather have a guy who can hit .300 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs than rotate guys into that position that produce considerably less.

That flexibility is only great when you don't have a great hitter in that spot. Otherwise it's a bunch of nonsense.

And for this year, who do you think will be rotating in that last position in the lineup? Napoli will be in the lineup most days even if it is occasionally as DH so the choice for that last spot in the lineup  is Gomes-Nava-Carp or Ortiz.

I'll take Ortiz over the rest every day all the time. 

And if Ortiz is in the linup and Napoli needs a rest, I'd rather sit Napoli and play Carp or Nava than not have Ortiz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

The Sox left 13 men on baseball you would think with Ortiz some of those guys would have been drive in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Are you really serious?

You hate Papi that much?

Nearly 35 HRs  season,                         117 RBIS

.290 BA

.390 OBP      .573 slugging .....

and you're happy NOT to have him?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Agree?

I'd rather have a guy who can hit .300 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs than rotate guys into that position that produce considerably less.

That flexibility is only great when you don't have a great hitter in that spot. Otherwise it's a bunch of nonsense.

And for this year, who do you think will be rotating in that last position in the lineup? Napoli will be in the lineup most days even if it is occasionally as DH so the choice for that last spot in the lineup  is Gomes-Nava-Carp or Ortiz.

And if Ortiz is in the linup and Napoli needs a rest, I'd rather sit Napoli and play Carp or Nava than not have Ortiz.

RORY1NINER.......   The days of the plodding D H type/s  are OVAA   !!!

.300 BA, 30 HR, 100 RBI, .900-plus OPS is a plodding DH? Really.

Gee -- I want some of what you're smoking. Seriously, stay away from sharp objects get yourself a designated driver.

Teams aren't using DH-only types because they're not out there like they used to. But no team -- NO TEAM -- would rather put a bunch of punch-and-Judy hitters in at DH than pencil a guy like Ortiz in every day.

Again answer this question. Who would you rather have in the order:

Gomes-Carp-Nava 

OR 

Ortiz?

Oh, and considering what a butcher Gomes is in the OF, Gomes is hardly a poster boy for your argument. He's a power hitter who can just hit lefties and is a butcher in the field and doesn't hit for a high average. Ortiz is actually a better 1B than Gome is a LF.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Agree?

Gee -- I want some of what you're smoking. Seriously, stay away from sharp objects get yourself a designated driver.

Teams aren't using DH-only types because they're not out there like they used to. But no team -- NO TEAM -- would rather put a bunch of punch-and-Judy hitters in at DH than pencil a guy like Ortiz in every day.

Gomes-Carp-Nava 

OR 

Ortiz?

Oh, and considering what a butcher Gomes is in the OF, Gomes is hardly a poster boy for your argument. He's a power hitter who can just hit lefties and is a butcher in the field and doesn't hit for a high average. Ortiz is actually a better 1B than Gome is a LF.

The big guy's actually a pretty decent first baseman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, what's David Ortiz ever done out of the DH position?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Im just saying that the D H of the future will have to be more than a long ball/ clog the bases type !!!!!

No. The DH of the future will be -- just like now for a lot of teams -- simply a guy who's not good enough to be a regular starter at one position. 

And describing Ortiz as long ball/clog the bases type is pathetic even for you. If there was no DH, Ortiz likely would have had a career as a 1B, and there are plenty of 1B like him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the DH role altogher and play baseball again where strategy makes a difference.

The only reason the DH was started was to give fickle fans a thrill with the potential of more long balls being hit.

The only real winners are the DH'rs whose careers are being artificially extended.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Agree?

Gomes-Carp-Nava 

OR 

Ortiz?

Ha! very well put. That's great. Love it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the DH role altogher and play baseball again where strategy makes a difference.

The only reason the DH was started was to give fickle fans a thrill with the potential of more long balls being hit.

The only real winners are the DH'rs whose careers are being artificially extended.

Kershaw hit a HR today! Between this year and next... Who knows? He might hit another one. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yeah, what's David Ortiz ever done out of the DH position?

He's gunned runners out trying for 3b in the post season. He's never made a huge game destroying error that I can remember @ 1b. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

They may be winners, but those kind of DH's are also a minority, not the proto-type DH. A lot of DH's are like Jim Rice when he first came up -- good hitters who weren't good enough defensively to oust the regular ahead of him who was till in his prime. The DH opens another roster position.

Most DH's typically have been players in their prime who weren't good defensively. 

And the reason DH was started wasn't because of the long ball. It was because runs were at an all-time low. Watching most pitcher hit is pathetic. And the so-called strategy is tremendously overblown. A guy on base and less than two outs -- the pitcher bunts. Wow -- it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out. And gee, it must take two doctorate degrees in advanced mathematics to figure out the double switch.

In the days before pitch counts, it might have been a tough decision late in the game on whether or not to pinch hit for the pitcher in the late innings of a close game, but nowadays with pitch counts, in all the NL games that are played, that kind of situation rarely occurs.

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a pitcher hit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And the reason DH was started wasn't because of the long ball. It was because runs were at an all-time low. Watching most pitcher hit is pathetic. And the so-called strategy is tremendously overblown. A guy on base and less than two outs -- the pitcher bunts. Wow -- it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out. And gee, it must take two doctorate degrees in advanced mathematics to figure out the double switch.

Oh but don't forget this one, roy - say there are 2 outs and somebody on base and the #8 hitter is up - the pitcher can pitch around him because he knows the pitcher hitting .091 is due up next!  It's deeply strategic and exciting to boot!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No idea what you're talkin' about now Burrito.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's really cool to see the Sox fans who pile on Ortiz when he's injured.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

roy Ortiz doesnt hit 30/100 so he doesn't fit your description.

You're splitting hairs.

He was exactly that type of hitter last year. He was on a pace for at least 35 HRs and 100 RBIs last year before the injury. For 90 games, he was producing as any 30-100 guy. You can't predict injuries. He's hardly been injury prone. He's had two injuries with the Sox. The wrist and the heels.

In 2011, he was 29-96, which is basically a 30-100-type production. Again splliting hairs.

2010: 30-102.

2009: 28-99, again splitting hairs. Basically a 30-100 guy and when you consider his slump at the start of the year, he was better than that for the last four months.

2009: 23-89; again, a better than 30-100 pace when he had the only other injury.

So yes, when he's in the lineup, he's basically been producing as a 30-100 guy. 

And even if he was out of the lineup for the first 90 guys, would any of the players rotating in put up the numbers he did in those 90 games.

Now if you want to argue that when he comes back, because of his age and injury, he might not be able to produce at a 30-100 pace, that's another issue. Hey -- I worry about that too. But the upside of what he can do because he has been doing it is worth giving him the chance and for what he's meant to the franchise, every Sox fan out there should be rooting for him 100 percent and be behind him 100 percent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Oh but don't forget this one, roy - say there are 2 outs and somebody on base and the #8 hitter is up - the pitcher can pitch around him because he knows the pitcher hitting .091 is due up next!  It's deeply strategic and exciting to boot!

does Ortiz bat 8th?

Your post makes no sense..

My comment and soxnut's comment were in response to the poster who wants to do away with the DH and have the pitcher bat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Im just saying that the D H of the future will have to be more than a long ball/ clog the bases type !!!!!

No. The DH of the future will be -- just like now for a lot of teams -- simply a guy who's not good enough to be a regular starter at one position. 

And describing Ortiz as long ball/clog the bases type is pathetic even for you. If there was no DH, Ortiz likely would have had a career as a 1B, and there are plenty of 1B like him.

As always, Bill has no idea what he is talking about.  The DH of the future will be whoever fits best.  The problem with ADG and Bill is that they think having a guy with a 1.026 OPS, like Papi did last year, is a problem, and they'd rather have a .725 OPS guy like Carp in there.

Because they think that .725  is better than 1.026.

Seems like our win today has put ADG into a deep funk.

Sections
Shortcuts