At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

This wasn't a pile on Ortiz. It was a point that it's nice to have a 25 man roster where the everyday fielders are able to rotate through the DH position and get a day off. We will need his lefty bat in the lineup. The question is when.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: At Least for a short time, isn't it nice to have a 25 man roster without a player listed only as a DH?

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am not really splitting hairs.... 30/100 is great and he won't hit that. So calling him a 30/100 players is misleading. May as well call him 25/85, far more realistic.

If he plays the last five months of the season, those very well could be his final  numbers. But you're missing the point. I'm not talking about his final numbers. I'm talking about how productive he is when he's in the lineup.

If he puts up those 25-85 in five months, it's a 30-100 pace for a full season. And that's the point. When he's in the lineup, he's producing at a 30-100 clip.

If Napoli finishes at 25-85 and those numbers are spead evenly over the six month, and Ortiz comes back in May and puts up the same numbers, Ortiz will be more productive over the May-September period than Napoli.

That's why I call him a 30-100 guy. If he's not a 30-100 guy this year and plays five months, his numbers will be less than 25-85.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yeah, what's David Ortiz ever done out of the DH position?

Drive in lots of Runs, average between 30-40 doubles a season !! What have you ever done as a back seat manager ?

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

This wasn't a pile on Ortiz. It was a point that it's nice to have a 25 man roster where the everyday fielders are able to rotate through the DH position and get a day off. We will need his lefty bat in the lineup. The question is when.

(The bold) Is it really? I'm glad you recognize the value of Ortiz, but as I pointed out. Who really is going to rotate in the final spot in the lineup. Ellsbury, Bradley, Victorino, Middlebrooks, Salty, Pedroia, Iggy are probably not going to DH. The only regular in the field who might rotate in the DH spot is Napoli, but the other player in the lineup will be Carp or Nava. And if Napoli is at 1B, it will be Carp, Nava and Gomes rotating at that spot. Are any of those players a better option than Ortiz? Is having that versatility better than having a bat like Ortiz?

I'd rather lose Napoli's bat on occasion to give him a rest with Ortiz the DH and Carp or Nava at 1B than not have Ortiz's bat all the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the DH role altogher and play baseball again where strategy makes a difference.

The only reason the DH was started was to give fickle fans a thrill with the potential of more long balls being hit.

The only real winners are the DH'rs whose careers are being artificially extended.

They may be winners, but those kind of DH's are also a minority, not the proto-type DH. A lot of DH's are like Jim Rice when he first came up -- good hitters who weren't good enough defensively to oust the regular ahead of him who was till in his prime. The DH opens another roster position.

Most DH's typically have been players in their prime who weren't good defensively. 

And the reason DH was started wasn't because of the long ball. It was because runs were at an all-time low. Watching most pitcher hit is pathetic. And the so-called strategy is tremendously overblown. A guy on base and less than two outs -- the pitcher bunts. Wow -- it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out. And gee, it must take two doctorate degrees in advanced mathematics to figure out the double switch.

In the days before pitch counts, it might have been a tough decision late in the game on whether or not to pinch hit for the pitcher in the late innings of a close game, but nowadays with pitch counts, in all the NL games that are played, that kind of situation rarely occurs.

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a pitcher hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roy, 

You are pretty much spot on but you're over simplifying things a bit. There is strategy involved  in many situations which I'm sure you are aware of when a pitcher might be due up but probably only one in four times up during a game. The majority of the time pitchers come up it was pretty much an automatic out. There are pluses and minuses to the DH but for me it adds excitement with more offense to the game. I'd rather see a DH in the lineup than a pitcher going up to flail away at three pitches and strike out most times, try to bunt which is pretty much a joke.   

As for how the DH position is filled is up to each club individually based on the roster at hand which some forget. I bet most managers would love to have a player who was a lock to hit 30-40HR to drive in 100runs, but these players don't grow on trees. Despite what some think we're lucky to have Ortiz in the line up but age is a factor unfortunately. To me he is over paid  but that aside the Sox are better with him in the lineup.

I'm not sure what a bases clogging DH is. Ortiz lack of speed may lose a run or two over the course of a season but he more than makes up for it with his ability to drive in runs and as others have pointed out he's still pretty decent around the bag at first base.

As you comically posted " I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a pitcher hit ".

Hetch  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the DH role altogher and play baseball again where strategy makes a difference.

The only reason the DH was started was to give fickle fans a thrill with the potential of more long balls being hit.

The only real winners are the DH'rs whose careers are being artificially extended.

They may be winners, but those kind of DH's are also a minority, not the proto-type DH. A lot of DH's are like Jim Rice when he first came up -- good hitters who weren't good enough defensively to oust the regular ahead of him who was till in his prime. The DH opens another roster position.

Most DH's typically have been players in their prime who weren't good defensively. 

And the reason DH was started wasn't because of the long ball. It was because runs were at an all-time low. Watching most pitcher hit is pathetic. And the so-called strategy is tremendously overblown. A guy on base and less than two outs -- the pitcher bunts. Wow -- it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out. And gee, it must take two doctorate degrees in advanced mathematics to figure out the double switch.

In the days before pitch counts, it might have been a tough decision late in the game on whether or not to pinch hit for the pitcher in the late innings of a close game, but nowadays with pitch counts, in all the NL games that are played, that kind of situation rarely occurs.

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a pitcher hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roy, 

You are pretty much spot on but you're over simplifying things a bit. There is strategy involved  in many situations which I'm sure you are aware of when a pitcher might be due up but probably only one in four times up during a game. The majority of the time pitchers come up it was pretty much an automatic out. There are pluses and minuses to the DH but for me it adds excitement with more offense to the game. I'd rather see a DH in the lineup than a pitcher going up to flail away at three pitches and strike out most times, try to bunt which is pretty much a joke.   

As for how the DH position is filled is up to each club individually based on the roster at hand which some forget. I bet most managers would love to have a player who was a lock to hit 30-40HR to drive in 100runs, but these players don't grow on trees. Despite what some think we're lucky to have Ortiz in the line up but age is a factor unfortunately. To me he is over paid  but that aside the Sox are better with him in the lineup.

I'm not sure what a bases clogging DH is. Ortiz lack of speed may lose a run or two over the course of a season but he more than makes up for it with his ability to drive in runs and as others have pointed out he's still pretty decent around the bag at first base.

As you comically posted " I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a pitcher hit ".

Hetch  

Yeah, I agree there is some strategy involved when pitchers hit, but the anti-DH crowd make it sound like that strategy is more complicated than planning D-Day.

And if Bill is going rag on Ortiz for "clogging the bases" then I guess he has problem every slow-footed first baseman and catcher in baseball.

Sections
Shortcuts