At the break Salty better as a catcher than V-Mart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

At the break Salty better as a catcher than V-Mart?

ABRH2B3BHRRBIBBHBPSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    Saltalamacchia 18324461226241725100.251.320.437.757
    Martinez           818204001170600.247.297.296.593

Wow. Really who would have thought this was possible? While V-Mart is having a fine season as a first baseman/ dh he is rarely catching, just as the red sox front office predicted. and by the way his numbers as a 1b/dh are not nearly good enough to displace our 1b or dh. the easy counter is that detroit is fielding an up and coming catcher in alex avila, but that sidesteps the point.
    discuss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: At the break Salty better as a catcher than V-Mart?

There is no convincing evidence that VMart's defensive position has anything to do with his offensive performance. This year he is hitting better as a DH than as a C. Last year that was reversed.

That said, I think the Red Sox made the right choice. VMart wasn't about to get much playing time at 1B or DH with Gonzalez and Ortiz around. If he had stayed, it would have been in a ~110 G role as the starting catcher. Salty has been at least as good defensively, very solid offensively, and vastly cheaper. Moreover, he promises to be a real solution at the position for years to come, while VMart's defensive skills are in slow decline.

I wish him well, but he is a better fit with the Tigers than he would have been in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Victor Martinez is an extremely over rated player.

His defense stinks and his offensive skills are decent but nothing fanatastic.

They never should have traded Masterson for this guy. Bad move, we could have used Justin in our rotation in place of some of the guys who have been injured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

i actually can't find any stats that are dh specific. espn.com lists his splits by position as c and 1b.
    his splits seem pretty convincing to me... he is a better hitter as a first baseman than as a catcher:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/5007/victor-martinez

if you highlight any year that trend follows.

i was sorry to see him go. thought he was a class act. but he was certainly the odd man out in our line-up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: At the break Salty better as a catcher than V-Mart?:
    [QUOTE]Victor Martinez is an extremely over rated player. His defense stinks and his offensive skills are decent but nothing fanatastic. They never should have traded Masterson for this guy. Bad move, we could have used Justin in our rotation in place of some of the guys who have been injured.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zill, I disagree that they should not have made the trade.  We needed his bat, bad.  Without that pick-up, we don't make the post-season that year.  And, yes, Masterson looks good right now.  But, at that point in time, he was no sure bet.  Looked like he was destined to be a middle inning pen guy for us at best.

I do agree, however, that he is a bit overrated.  he is a very solid bat, but sort of a 'tweener:  he is not a masher, nor is he an OB machine.  He is a grinder.  And he is a 'tweener on defense too.  

I love Vic.  I thought he was a great guy and a nice clubhouse fit for the Sox, but this is No Country For Old 'Tweeners.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Again we got Matt Barnes Pitcher with the 19th pick, and Henry Owens Pitcher with comp pick from Detroit. It wasn't a total waste, I bet Barnes make it quicker to Boston than Ranaudo.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Living in CT. now we have watched Barnes pitch a couple times.  I think the Sox made a good choice but only time will tell.  We thought Hansen was pretty special before throwing him into a fire he wasn't ready for.  Barnes will be brought around slowly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

[QUOTE]Again we got Matt Barnes Pitcher with the 19th pick, and Henry Owens Pitcher with comp pick from Detroit. It wasn't a total waste, I bet Barnes make it quicker to Boston than Ranaudo.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]   I think you are way off base with this statement, but we shall see

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Using an 81 AB sample size is idiotic. Martinez will always be a better player, both offensively and defensively, than Salty. We could have had Martinez, for $100 million less than Brawbust, and used that money towards trading for Matt Kemp and signing him to a worthy extension. Salty would make a fine back-up, and Varitek would make a fine little league coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]There is no convincing evidence that VMart's defensive position has anything to do with his offensive performance. This year he is hitting better as a DH than as a C. Last year that was reversed. That said, I think the Red Sox made the right choice. VMart wasn't about to get much playing time at 1B or DH with Gonzalez and Ortiz around. If he had stayed, it would have been in a ~110 G role as the starting catcher. Salty has been at least as good defensively, very solid offensively, and vastly cheaper. Moreover, he promises to be a real solution at the position for years to come, while VMart's defensive skills are in slow decline. I wish him well, but he is a better fit with the Tigers than he would have been in Boston.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Actually, he hit .320 as a 1Bman last year as compared to .312 at catcher.  DH was a disaster as he was 1/16 ... .063

108 games as catcher, 20 at first, 4 at DH

Sections
Shortcuts