At what point does Lowrie become the starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter?

In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter?:
    [QUOTE]Tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Release Scutaro, bring up "The Kid!"
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]

Well I was listening to MLB on Xm today and Rob Dibble was saying Sox fans are all for replacing Scutaro and bringing up the kid. But he looked as his stats and said he is a tremendous fielder but can't hit. He isn't hitting in the minors you think he's gonna rake in the majors?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Start him at short, he was good his first year and is proving he can hit.

F theo and his whole regime of terror

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The struggling pitching staff probably needs the best defensive shortstop on the roster. Is that Marco Scutaro or Jed Lowrie?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : This certainly wasn't intended as any sort of bash Scutaro thread.  Youk isn't going to start hitting until he starts getting pitches to hit though.  He still has a .423 OBP, he's walked 13 times in 47 PA's.  Pitchers just aren't pitching to him. Lowrie could be the sparkplug that the team needs right now, and the only place to insert him into the lineup is at SS.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

That's not going to happen unless they hit him in front of Gonzalez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

That's a bit extreme.  I was thinking more of a reserve role for Scutaro....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : This certainly wasn't intended as any sort of bash Scutaro thread.  Youk isn't going to start hitting until he starts getting pitches to hit though.  He still has a .423 OBP, he's walked 13 times in 47 PA's.  Pitchers just aren't pitching to him. Lowrie could be the sparkplug that the team needs right now, and the only place to insert him into the lineup is at SS.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

He's not going to get pitches to hit unless the RS put him in front of Gonzalez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

At what point does Lowrie become the starter?

Obviously it's very early in the season, but through 33 PA's Scutaro has posted a line of .172/.273/.207 and hasn't looked good in the field.

Through Lowrie's 18 PA's he has posted a line of .438/.500/.563 and also has not looked comfortable at SS.

It goes without saying that these are tiny sample sizes, but could Lowrie be the spark this team needs?  The original plan was for Lowrie to get time at 2B, SS, and 3B, but I don't believe that is a reasonable plan any more, or at least he would have to get fewer AB's at 2B and 3B.

Pedroia has looked great, and shouldn't see much time off.  Papi has looked good early this season as well, thus reducing the time Lowrie should see at 3B with Youk moving to DH and before you say Youk is struggling let me point out that he still has a OBP of .426 through 47 PA's.  Youk's K rate may be 50% higher than his career mark (30.3% K rate so far this year vs 21.3% career), but his walk rate has more than doubled, very impressive for someone known as the greek god of walks (27.7% this year vs 12.7% career).  Youk should continue to stay in the lineup every day.

The only other place for Lowrie to get AB's is at SS.  The Sox need to see if Lowrie can stay healthy over the course of a season, and they need to find out this year.  Lowrie's defense should only improve as he gets more reps at SS, and he can still slide over to 3rd when Papi or Youk get a day off.  The Red Sox have a decision to make next offseason, either they will re-sign Papi or find another DH, or they could move Youk to DH (depending on his 3B defense this year) and insert Lowrie as the starting 3B.

Iglesias is the future at SS, but that doesn't mean Lowrie will be out of the picture completely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : Why all the hate toward Scutaro? He has more RBIs than Youk. He was solid last year and gutsy, grinding it out despite an arm injury. Shouldn't he be the type of player we fans should be rooting for? I don't have a problem if the Sox make the switch to Lowrie. But until Crawford and Youk start hitting, any other sort of changes is just cosmetic.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think EVERYONE'S frustrated and needs to just vent!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hat's off to Theo and his ability to give a 170 million dollar team a bona fide SS for 2 consecutive years (Alex Gonzalez was pretty much it and Theo let him walk not once but Twice; and he let OCab walk as well)....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : Have you looked at Iglesias' stats?  The kid is hitting fine, he just doesn't take many walks.  For the record, I'd prefer for him to stay in AAA for the year (barring injuries at the MLB level).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I have not looked at his stats but his obp is pretty low. It does not really matter it's take a lot more then just a shortstop to turn this team around. I'd prefer Lowrie over Scutero but does does it really matter? The whole isn't playing well no key hitting no key pitching runners picked off base everything that can go wrong is going wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : That's a bit extreme.  I was thinking more of a reserve role for Scutaro....
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Maybe, just a little frustrated....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Why all the hate toward Scutaro? He has more RBIs than Youk. He was solid last year and gutsy, grinding it out despite an arm injury. Shouldn't he be the type of player we fans should be rooting for?

I don't have a problem if the Sox make the switch to Lowrie. But until Crawford and Youk start hitting, any other sort of changes is just cosmetic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : Maybe, just a little frustrated....

I hear ya.  We need some positivity on this board!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Release Scutaro, bring up "The Kid!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : Well I was listening to MLB on Xm today and Rob Dibble was saying Sox fans are all for replacing Scutaro and bringing up the kid. But he looked as his stats and said he is a tremendous fielder but can't hit. He isn't hitting in the minors you think he's gonna rake in the majors?
    Posted by Roaddogg1959[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at Iglesias' stats?  The kid is hitting fine, he just doesn't take many walks.  For the record, I'd prefer for him to stay in AAA for the year (barring injuries at the MLB level).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]The struggling pitching staff probably needs the best defensive shortstop on the roster. Is that Marco Scutaro or Jed Lowrie?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

They've both looked terrible this year, the drop off is minimal with Lowrie having more defensive upside.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: At what point does Lowrie become the starter? : Why all the hate toward Scutaro? He has more RBIs than Youk. He was solid last year and gutsy, grinding it out despite an arm injury. Shouldn't he be the type of player we fans should be rooting for? I don't have a problem if the Sox make the switch to Lowrie. But until Crawford and Youk start hitting, any other sort of changes is just cosmetic.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

This certainly wasn't intended as any sort of bash Scutaro thread.  Youk isn't going to start hitting until he starts getting pitches to hit though.  He still has a .423 OBP, he's walked 13 times in 47 PA's.  Pitchers just aren't pitching to him.

Lowrie could be the sparkplug that the team needs right now, and the only place to insert him into the lineup is at SS.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Lowrie will play almost every game for a bit b/c he is needed as a RHH.

Here's a look at what the Red Sox have faced lately and will face soon:

Sunday: CC Sabathia (lefty)
    Monday: Jeremy Hellickson (traditional righty)
    Tuesday: David Price (lefty)
    Wednesday: James Shields (reverse-split righty, better vs RHP)
    Thursday: Off
    Friday: Brett Cecil (lefty)
    Saturday: Jo-Jo Reyes (lefty)
    Sunday: Jesse Litsch (traditional righty)
    Monday: Ricky Romero (lefty)
    Tuesday: Off
    Wednesday: Brett Anderson (lefty)
    Thursday: Gio Gonzalez (lefty)

Red Sox predictably struggling against lefties

2:57 PM Wed, Apr 13, 2011 |
    Brian MacPherson    Email

BOSTON -- Terry Francona this winter www.projo.com/redsox/content/Red_Sox_Crawford_Adrian_Francona_12-11-10_V6L_v2.8242e2.html">repeatedly deflected the idea that the Red Sox had too lefty-heavy of a lineup, that they'd struggle against lefthanded pitching. His reasoning was sound.

"I never understand why no one ever asks me that," he said midway through spring training. "Everyone's so worried about vulnerability to the lefties. We're facing way more righties. Doesn't that seem like it makes much more sense? We could stack our lineup to beat every lefty in the league, and then everyone will say, 'What the (expletive) are you going to do against the righties?"

Close to 72 percent of all plate appearances in the American League last season came with righthanded pitchers on the mound.

So far, though, the Red Sox have faced righties in just 65 percent of their at-bats. To make matters worse, when they've faced righties, they've occasionally been reverse-split righties. The way he pitches, Cleveland's Josh Tomlin might as well be a lefty. For pitchers whose best pitch is a changeup or a splitfingered fastball, a reverse split is common.

The Red Sox looked helpless against Tomlin, and they've hit .221 with a .301 on-base percentage and .313 slugging percentage against lefties. It's as ugly as the doomsday crowd predicted it might be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Good post Tom.  I guess this is something worth looking at after that stretch (assuming the rotation schedule holds up with all the rain) with 5 of the next 6 starters we face being lefties (after todays rain out).  Lowrie shouldn't have more than 1 day off against those lefties, given his ridiculous lefty splits.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Carnie, there isn't anything wrong with Lowrie as the UIF. Tom-UK is deeply upset that he isn't the starting SS. His opinion is that Lowrie is already an elite MLB SS. Management made the decision that he was the best guy to be the UIF. He's angry about that, to the point of saying that Scutaro no longer has the arm strength to play everday SS. Lowrie's slow release and arm strength is quite weak, but he simply sees this small sample v. LHP split and thinks that makes him one of the best hitters in baseball. Obviously, that's delusional. Quote from Softlaw

Carnie, Don't Believe the Hype - It's a Sequel

I am teasing Softie b/c he predicted Jed would bomb in '08, '09, and '10.  In July and August, we all heard how small the sample size was "trade Jed now".

So I am picking on Softily b/c even as the sample grows the numbers have remained stellar.  Don't forget Lowrie hit RHP better than LHP in the minors.  Enjoy the 30% line drive rate, SoftFlaw.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

JB3
    Good post Tom.  I guess this is something worth looking at after that stretch (assuming the rotation schedule holds up with all the rain) with 5 of the next 6 starters we face being lefties (after todays rain out).  Lowrie shouldn't have more than 1 day off against those lefties, given his ridiculous lefty splits.

2010 A.L. OPS vs LHP   6th    1.025
    2008 A.L. OPS vs LHP   19th    .934

2008-2010 OPS vs LHP :
    Bay        .884
    Teix       .917
    Lowrie   .944
    Cabrera  .966
    Youk     1.067

Thanks JB,  As Mr. Moon so dutifully demonstrated this off-season a platoon situation is a necessity with this team, even Pedroia hits RHP better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Lowrie plays himself into lineup

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, April 14, 2011

By Brian MacPherson

Journal Sports Writer

BOSTON — When he met with reporters Wednesday afternoon, Terry Francona wouldn’t admit to having decided on a starting shortstop for Friday. He would admit only to having decided on a starting shortstop for Wednesday — a game that was postponed — and he admitted to that only because the lineup card had been posted in the clubhouse.

But the lineup card for Wednesday did list the name of Jed Lowrie for the second day running, this time at shortstop in place of Marco Scutaro. If Francona was going to start Lowrie — who hits better from the right side of the plate — against Tampa Bay righty James Shields, it’s hard to believe Lowrie isn’t going to start seeing more at-bats going forward.

“Jed’s hitting about .480,” Francona said, his voice matter-of-fact. “We don’t have a lot of guys hitting .480.”

Actually, after doubling twice against Tampa Bay’s David Price on Tuesday night, Lowrie is hitting .438 with an on-base percentage of .500. But the point still holds.

In a lineup that has shown no sign of breaking out of its April malaise, Lowrie has been one of the few bright spots. Lowrie and Dustin Pedroia are the only hitters in the lineup hitting better than .296. Lowrie, Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis have the only on-base percentages better than .400. Lowrie had more extra-base hits on Tuesday than Carl Crawford, J.D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Marco Scutaro have all season.

“The results are there,” Lowrie said. “That’s always nice. But I’m really, really happy with the way that I’m working right now and my approach. I’ve always believed that if I keep that approach, the results will be there. They’re there right now.”

Francona said in no uncertain terms during spring training that Scutaro would be his shortstop. Nothing Lowrie could have done during spring training would have changed his mind.

On a team inundated with injuries last year, Scutaro played through various shoulder and elbow maladies all the way until the end of the season. A dip in his numbers — his on-base percentage tumbled by 46 points from the previous season — wasn’t just forgiven. It was expected.

“If I was a player and went through what Scutaro did and then had to come to camp and base my playing time on 40 at-bats, I wouldn’t want to play for a guy like me,” Francona said early in spring training. “I don’t think that makes a lot of sense.”

Neither Lowrie nor Scutaro has 40 at-bats thus far during the regular season. But the Lowrie-Scutaro debate goes far deeper than 40 at-bats — be they in March or in April or in September.

Scutaro plied his trade as a utility infielder for the first six years of his career, only once playing more than 120 games before his 32nd birthday. He hit a respectable .261 with a .325 on-base percentage in close to 2,500 plate appearances in that span. He proved himself to be a perfectly capable major-league shortstop — and then he broke out in 2009, posting a .379 on-base percentage and slugging .400 for the first time in his career.

When his numbers took a step back in his first season with the Red Sox, it looked far more like a veteran regressing to his typical career numbers than a trend that could be expected to continue.

Lowrie, on the other hand, was drafted in the first round after having hit .317 with a .416 on-base percentage and .594 slugging percentage in his final season at Stanford. He then got on base at a .429 clip in more than 200 plate appearances at Single-A Lowell in his professional debut in 2005, a .352 clip at Single-A Wilmington in 2006, and a .393 clip the following year in more than 400 plate appearances at Double-A Portland in 2007. He then hit .300 with a .356 on-base percentage and .506 slugging percentage when he was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket for the first time.

In other words, until he hurt his wrist, Lowrie hit at every level at which he’s played. His numbers at the plate have looked far more like those of Dustin Pedroia than anyone would expect.

And after he recovered from mononucleosis in spring of last year, Lowrie posted a .381 on-base percentage and .526 slugging percentage in August and September. If he’d kept up the same pace for 600 plate appearances, he’d have hit 27 home runs and 42 doubles.

Facing Price on Tuesday night after having come to the plate just six times since Wednesday of last week wasn’t exactly the easiest task.

“This is the major leagues,” he said. “You’re going to face good pitchers every night, whether it’s a guy throwing 97 (mph) or a guy throwing four quality pitches off-speed. Guys here know how to get people out. Whether you’re facing a David Price or someone else, you’re going to face a major-leaguer every night.”

But the two doubles he hit off Price were impressive.

“When he’s swinging like this, you probably look for ways to get him in there,” Francona conceded late Tuesday night.

Less than 24 hours later, Lowrie was right back in the Red Sox lineup. He might well be in the lineup against Toronto lefty Brett Cecil on Friday. He won’t hit .480 — or even .380 — all season long. But he’s making a compelling argument to be in the lineup every day nonetheless.