Athletes and religion

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

I find a difference between the references to his faith that Gonzalez has made in the past, all personal responses to personal questions which in some way were drawn out of him (I doubt he would offer his religious views on his own), and the ridiculous evangelical showboating that Tim Tebow does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I believe there is a giant chocolate teapot orbiting the sun and, despite the total absence of any objective evidence to support my belief, I DEMAND you respect my faith and allow me to parade it in public.

Either that, or you leave your personal, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable, childish beliefs at home and I will too.

Of course, I would defend to the death your right to believe anthing you want as long as it doesn't affect others.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    I believe there is a giant chocolate teapot orbiting the sun and, despite the total absence of any objective evidence to support my belief, I DEMAND you respect my faith and allow me to parade it in public. Either that, or you leave your personal, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable, childish beliefs at home and I will too. Of course, I would defend to the death your right to believe anthing you want as long as it doesn't affect others.
    Posted by Chilliwings

No way chocolate could orbit the sun without melting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Why does Dave need to start a thread like this everyday. This has already been discussed on numerous threads in recent months. Does Dave work on a commission basis for the Globe's BDC Division. Anyone can sit down and pen a redundant, controversial topic. This topic is once again like beating a dead horse.

Why do threads need to be divisive and alienate posters. Don't we ever wish to share things about being a Red Sox fan that we all have in common. This thread will only split us further apart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Agree, let the dead horse rest or rot in peace, whichever your beliefs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : No way chocolate could orbit the sun without melting.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Says the heathen non-believer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Says the heathen non-believer.
    Posted by Chilliwings

Keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter, you zealot.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Anyone who "wears their religion on their sleeve for all to see" as the OP said is a little over the top. Athletes are no different, except that they have a public forum to espouse their views in a way that most people don't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As long as the Church isn't interfering with my State....and no one is killing trying to convert me....then I'm ok with it.

Religious tolerance needs to work both ways, being tolerant of other religions, but also being tolerant of people who are in fact religious (any religion) and those who are not at all. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

As long as the Church isn't interfering with my State....and no one is killing trying to convert me....then I'm ok with it. Religious tolerance needs to work both ways, being tolerant of other religions, but also being tolerant of people who are in fact religious (any religion) and those who are not at all. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Well said. But it is a Christians duty to tell people the "Good News", Christ commanded us to do so. So many though, are almost ashamed to admit they are believers because of what people might think of them. many times while I was in the service, I was labled a Bible thumper.
    There are many who profess to be a Christian (one in particular comes to mind), but if you asked them when they were born again, they could not tell you. To a Christian, that day is the most important day in their life and would never be forgotten, nor would the day of Baptism.

I don't have any problem with professional athletes professing Christ, as a matter of fact, I find it bold and refreshing. But a Christian must walk the walk, not just talk the talk, for they will be judged by their actions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

It is true that God doesn't have any favorite team and God also may not have any favorite country. So don't get down on players genuflecting or looking towards the skies when you salute a flag of a country that might not have God's blessing or approval in every war. To each his own whether religious or patriotic.

Let someone say " It wasn't meant to be."
    Let someone say " My country, right or wrong,"

No need to get bent out of shape over such things.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The Broncos are going to be 5-11 next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Broncos are going to be 5-11 next year.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

No way - the season will not last that long. Revelation is upon us and armegeddon will arrive on 12/21/12

Victoria told me so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Most Christians dismiss the book of Revelation. Most Christians don't stress the Old Testament except for the predictions of the prophets. Most Christians laugh that the US Constitution is a moral guide. Most Christians put God and Christ above patriotism. You don't get points for carrying a flag into Heaven.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

The constitution isn't a moral guide, it's a series of self-imposed governmental restrictions, intended to allow for more power in the hands of the people than had existed at the time.

Having said that, there is far more morality in this country's founding documents than in the bible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The constitution isn't a moral guide, it's a series of self-imposed governmental restrictions, intended to allow for more power in the hands of the people than had existed at the time. Having said that, there is far more morality in this country's founding documents than in the bible.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

Don't read the Old Testament literally, better yet ignore the Old Testament. The God of the New Testament is a loving, forgiving God. The moral code that we should all live by was handed down at the revelation at Mt. Sinaei. The Ten Commandmenta are a common framework of many religions and are common sense also.

The US Constitution was written by men for US citizens and keeps changing all of the time. It does not say anything similar to what most religions teach in respect to you being your brothers keeper, be charitable, unselfish, forgiving, and non-judgemental. The writers of the Constitution were slave owners, got their slaves pregnant in order to breed more slaves, and enacted laws to make the wealthy richer and the poor more poor. They were not practicing Christians. They were hardly role models. Martin Luther King had more morality in him than all of the founding fathers added together.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

As far as the 10 comandments, many of them can and should be eliminated, and the ones that should remain don't include things that should be there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Organized religion was developed as an instrument to control the masses and it's most significant contribution to the human race has been War. 

Muslim, Christian, Mormon, etc... it is all just a fairy tale.  Mary got knocked up and there were no golden tablets presented to Joseph Smith by the Mormoni.  Accept that into your heart, then grow a pair and try answering the "larger questions" for yourself, not being dependent on archaic texts.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: Athletes and religion":
    As long as the Church isn't interfering with my State....and no one is killing trying to convert me....then I'm ok with it. Religious tolerance needs to work both ways, being tolerant of other religions, but also being tolerant of people who are in fact religious (any religion) and those who are not at all.  Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh
    Bingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Why does Dave need to start a thread like this everyday. This has already been discussed on numerous threads in recent months. Does Dave work on a commission basis for the Globe's BDC Division. Anyone can sit down and pen a redundant, controversial topic. This topic is once again like beating a dead horse. Why do threads need to be divisive and alienate posters. Don't we ever wish to share things about being a Red Sox fan that we all have in common. This thread will only split us further apart.
    Posted by lowelll

Why do you endlessly post about the same issue?  Because you want to and it's a (relatively) open forum.

I think you are very interesting when you talk about baseball, and terribly boring and patronising when you act like the sheriff around town, constantly opining about who is a "real" Sox fan, who is using a psuedonym, who is being suckered into a thread, etc.

Do you think if Mr. X  - in your opinion, a troll - posts, your anti-troll posts are any more valued?  Using your own logic, how are we poor, naive posters supposed to be able judge if your anti-trolling posts are honest or just another layer of dishonesty?  Why not let everyone judge for themselves which poster is worthy of ignoring, attacking or connecting with

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter, you zealot.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Keep your zealotry out of my chocolate!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am a heathen and I have no morality. I put nothing ahead of Women, Rock and Roll & Booze. But then I am a New Yorker, so what would you expect.

Couldn't find a youtube clip of Argent doing this song, so, you get KISS (Knights in Satan's Service) God Gave Rock and Roll To You (sorry about that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yvQV7J47o&feature=related

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Why do you endlessly post about the same issue?  Because you want to and it's a (relatively) open forum. I think you are very interesting when you talk about baseball, and terribly boring and patronising when you act like the sheriff around town, constantly opining about who is a "real" Sox fan, who is using a psuedonym, who is being suckered into a thread, etc. Do you think if Mr. X  - in your opinion, a troll - posts, your anti-troll posts are any more valued?  Using your own logic, how are we poor, naive posters supposed to be able judge if your anti-trolling posts are honest or just another layer of dishonesty?  Why not let everyone judge for themselves which poster is worthy of ignoring, attacking or connecting with
    Posted by Chilliwings

His first repsonse to the topic is "this is beating a dead horse", he then goes on to lead to attack on the equine carcas. 

Sections
Shortcuts