Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

I think it is time for this thread to end.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    Oh sh*t - The Rick Santorum posse is out. Take your judgements of people and stick them where the sun don't shine. Let's ask God, afterall, we were made in his image. Maybe God is gay.And don't dare utter the words "free will" to me. Most gays (women and men) are aware of this at an extremely early age but have little knowledge of what it is. These children are born to straight couples and were not introduced to it in the home.  Personally, if there is a God, I think he is a she and she is bi-sexual, wearing leather and 5 inch heels.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jess, in that case, you should look into Hinduism.  Several major dieties fit that description pretty well ... of course he/she probably lives on a lotus leaf hovering above the earth, with 15 or more arms and the head of an animal and can smite you with a wink from his/her third eye, but, just saying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : OK, I think this position is more consistent, but it opens the door to things I described before, like a Muslim hospital requiring that women (even Christian employees) veil their heads.  Most regulations are set in place to protect employees - allowing religious institutions to over-ride these regulations is a far greater threat to individual freedom than Obamacare will ever be. In an ideal world, I would not want health care provision to be the responsibility of the employer at all, but we'll never live in an ideal world, and the best we can hope from any piece of legislation in the world we do live is to move the chains toward something a little less bad.  All in all, I think that's what the health care bill does.   As to your point about electing not to become pregnant, isn't it also a choice to become pregnant?  Even a devout Catholic has the option to abstain or use methods that do not result or are less likely to result in pregnancy.  Should all medical provisions relating to pregnancy be removed from health care plans?  Should child-care leave legislation protecting your job be overturned?  If it's your right to elect one state of being, why not the other?
    Posted by slomag

And if anyone else wants to know why this Yankee fan comes to tihs forum, here is an example. So many of you are so articulate and embracing of knowledge, no matter the type, that someone like me is drawn to conversation with you.

Slomag - this is an excellent point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Let's stipulate for the sake of argument that both pedophilia and homosexuality are disorders. What harm can come for the human participants from each?

Compare what happens when two consenting adult males settle down to what happens when a dirty old man is let loose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

You are demonstrably wrong on all counts. Firstly, it does exist in the animal kingdom. Secondly, there is no requirement that it occur as frequently as heterosexuality for it to occur naturally. Lastly, if god made gay people as they are(I noticed you failed to comment on that aspect) why should they be expected to supress that part of themselves? To deny themselves that which makes life itself worth living, a loving connection with another human being?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

God made us all. But he also said it was wrong for people of the same sex engage sexually. It is free will. We are not robots. We chooee to sin or not.

Give me something proving homosexuality occurs outside of man in the animal kingdom.
    I never said it was a requirement, just that if it is common or "normal" there should be a greater percentage.

I don't have a problem with gay people. I do have a problem with justification of homosexuality, and bending over backwards to accomodate a perverted lifestyle.

BTW: My sister and nephew are gay but they aren't expecting to be thrown a parade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The leftists do nothing to promote their cause when they articulately defend their liberal position on social issues , but then turn around and use terms like " Jesus freaks " or " Mary got knocked up " , etc. when demeaning the Christian faith.  To get respect , give respect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I didn't say it was common or normal. I said it occured naturally. Approximately 10% of the world's population is left-handed. Are you saying southpaws are unnatural? What about people with red hair?

Sure, you have no problem with gay people...as long as they stay locked in the closet, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

dgalehouse,

The righties are just as abrasive. The real problem is religious people cannot tolerate it when someone doesn't agree with their views. It goes back to what Allibike said about spreading the good word.

It seems to me that people secure in their own belief system wouldn't be so easily bothered and offended by differing viewpoints.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

dgalehouse, The righties are just as abrasive. The real problem is religious people cannot tolerate it when someone doesn't agree with their views. It goes back to what Allibike said about spreading the good word. It seems to me that people secure in their own belief system wouldn't be so easily bothered and offended by differing viewpoints.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

Differing viewpoints is one thing.  Insulting and degrading comments is another.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I think some people need to develop thicker skin. To say Mary was "knocked up"  just means someone impregnated her, i.e. the writer doesn't believe in the immaculate conception. Really not a big deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

posted at 3/2/2012 3:19 PM EST

First: 6/4/2010
    Last: 3/2/2012
    The leftists do nothing to promote their cause when they articulately defend their liberal position on social issues , but then turn around and use terms like " Jesus freaks " or " Mary got knocked up " , etc. when demeaning the Christian faith.  To get respect , give respect.

OK..Didn't come here to get respect from anybody.  I think what I think.  If someone wants to respect it, fine.  If they don't, well thats fine also.  I'm not offended by any of it.  And neither should you be..

I think the "religious fanatics" (is that better?) need to develop some thicker skin here.  Don't get stuck on a phrase like "Jesus freaks", or "Mary got knocked up" but rather the point the poster was trying to make..

Now if that's too logical for ya, go ahead and ignore me like redsox67.  I understand...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : OK, I think this position is more consistent, but it opens the door to things I described before, like a Muslim hospital requiring that women (even Christian employees) veil their heads.  Most regulations are set in place to protect employees - allowing religious institutions to over-ride these regulations is a far greater threat to individual freedom than Obamacare will ever be. In an ideal world, I would not want health care provision to be the responsibility of the employer at all, but we'll never live in an ideal world, and the best we can hope from any piece of legislation in the world we do live is to move the chains toward something a little less bad.  All in all, I think that's what the health care bill does.   As to your point about electing not to become pregnant, isn't it also a choice to become pregnant?  Even a devout Catholic has the option to abstain or use methods that do not result or are less likely to result in pregnancy.  Should all medical provisions relating to pregnancy be removed from health care plans?  Should child-care leave legislation protecting your job be overturned?  If it's your right to elect one state of being, why not the other?
    Posted by slomag

Thanks for ready my long post!

Anyone can elect any state of being they want they just can't ask others to give up their religious freedom to do it.  Insurgence doesn't pay for what's necessary to practice Natural Family Planning (NFP) so why should insurance pay for birth control and sterilization.

People forget that sterilization is part of this bill.  One could argue that's mutilating the body, not health care.  Where else in health insurance is there coverage to remove or change perfectly healthy organs?

You are assuming this new regulation is in compliance with the constitution and all our country stands for, it is not.  The founding fathers wanted a limited federal government.  Freedom of religion is why many came to this country.

How does providing sterilization and abortifacients like the pill and the morning after pill protect employees?  Since when has carring a child become a plague?

There are many ways to prevent a pregnance. If someone chooses to do so they can purchase the necessary means to do it.  Preventing pregnancy is a choice not a right.

Once a woman is pregnant that is a medical condition that should be covered.  Again, she doesn't have a disease like a tumor that needs to be medically prevented.  She does have a medical condition that needs to be attended to.  With my first child I became pre-eclamsic which can cause death.  Thankfully I was in labor in the hospital so the situation was taken care of. 

Catholic institutions don't make people wear crucifixes so I don't the head scarf analogy works.  There is a catholic college in my area that provides a classroom for muslim students so they gather to say their prayers.  They want the crucifix to be taken down in that catholic classroom because they don't like it.  Just another attack on catholicism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Let's stipulate for the sake of argument that both pedophilia and homosexuality are disorders. What harm can come for the human participants from each? Compare what happens when two consenting adult males settle down to what happens when a dirty old man is let loose.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

Do you really believe that pedophilia is Ok?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

But 67, do you understand why muslims don't like the crucifix? Their belief that Jesus was not the son of god is as fundamental to their belief system as christian's belief that he was.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I think some people need to develop thicker skin. To say Mary was "knocked up"  just means someone impregnated her, i.e. the writer doesn't believe in the immaculate conception. Really not a big deal.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

To refer to any women being 'nocked up' is degrading.  To say that to a catholic is crude.

There are many people on this thread who don't agree with my positions.  I have not resorted to such crude and offensive terminology.

If people here truly want to exchange ideas, great!  If they are here to degrade another's beliefs then they are not to be taken seriously.  That's why I put some people on ignore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I didn't say pedophilia is okay. I said it's a disorder. I also asked you to contemplate the damage caused by pedophiles, and compare that to relationships between adult homosexuals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Redsox67,

Vile ideas can be conveyed through polite wording. You may want to focus more on the message than the delivery.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

But 67, do you understand why muslims don't like the crucifix? Their belief that Jesus was not the son of god is as fundamental to their belief system as christian's belief that he was.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

These students elected of their own free will to go to a catholic college.  They knew they would see crucifixes. 

If these muslim students don't like looking at a crucifix there are many choices out there for them.  A catholic college has a right to put up crucifixes.

If I went to a muslim college I certainly wouldn't ask them to clear the room of all korans. 

If I went to a jewish college I would expect to see the star of david.  If I found that offensive, which I don't, I wouldn't go to that college.

Very simple solution.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I didn't say pedophilia is okay. I said it's a disorder. I also asked you to contemplate the damage caused by pedophiles, and compare that to relationships between adult homosexuals.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

So one disorder should be illegal while another disorder should be legal?  Who should decide this?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I agree. But I still wonder if you really appreciate the reason they don't like the crucifix.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Redsox67, Vile ideas can be conveyed through polite wording. You may want to focus more on the message than the delivery.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

You consider the teachings of the catholic church to be vile?  You think my explanation of those teachings is vile?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I agree. But I still wonder if you really appreciate the reason they don't like the crucifix.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

They are free to practice any religion they want.  They are not free to tell another religion what to hang on the wall of their own institutions.

They are free to look into secular or muslim colleges so their sensibilities won't be offended.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Disorders can't be legislated. Behaviors can.

Actual harm results from the actions of a pedophile. the only harm resulting from adult homosexuals in their own bedrooms is the religious sensibilities of other people, people who just need to mind their own business.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : So one disorder should be illegal while another disorder should be legal?  Who should decide this?
    Posted by 67redsox

I think the question that roadrunner posed to you, that you don't seem to be able to answer for some reason, holds the answer to your question:  The laws of the land, in theory, and by and large in practice, are based on the Golden Rule.  The decision to make one disorder illegal and one "disorder" legal is based upon the premise that one disorder causes harm to others, while the other "disorder" causes harm to no one.  You may disagree on the latter point.  But it is difficult for many to undertsand why.  That is what Roadrunner is asking for you to elaborate upon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I didn't say what you were saying is vile. I just said focus on the message rather than the delivery, because ideas are far more dangerous than wording.

Sections
Shortcuts