Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Keep your zealotry out of my chocolate!
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]Organized religion was developed as an instrument to control the masses and it's most significant contribution to the human race has been War.  Muslim, Christian, Mormon, etc... it is all just a fairy tale.  Mary got knocked up and there were no golden tablets presented to Joseph Smith by the Mormoni.  Accept that into your heart, then grow a pair and try answering the "larger questions" for yourself, not being dependent on archaic texts.   "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Silly me, I thought that War was caused by Greed. I thought that we were in Iraq to protect the source of our oil. I thought that wars were great for our economy - the Military Industrial Complex. Never knew that the Roman Catholics, Protestants, and Jews were training recruits in their churches to march into the world to eradicate communism and protect our oil. Never saw those priests, pastors, ministers, and rabbis in their full military uniforms with bayonets drawn.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion :
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny. How did chocolate and bunnies become associated with such a holy day in the christian religion anyway. Was it that the cross is believed to be the color brown, so we used chocolate to represent the cross?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJfRzNOJNE

Hysterical

This thread is now bordering on the "Are you kidding me?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Now that's funny. How did chocolate and bunnies become associated with such a holy day in the christian religion anyway. Was it that the cross is bleieved to be the color brown, so we used chocolate to represent the cross? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJfRzNOJNE Hysterical This thread is now bordering on the "Are you kidding me?"
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

No, its because Jesus was a chocolate bunny.  Look it up.  Leviticus, i think:  "And lo, he was possessed of floppy ears of some length.  And the sheperds did know him by his fur of cocoa and darting hop.  This was he, the messiah foretold."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Silly me, I thought that War was caused by Greed. I thought that we were in Iraq to protect the source of our oil. I thought that wars were great for our economy - the Military Industrial Complex. Never knew that the Roman Catholics, Protestants, and Jews were training recruits in their churches to march into the world to eradicate communism and protect our oil. Never saw those priests, pastors, ministers, and rabbis in their full military uniforms with bayonets drawn.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I wonder though, if religion has nothing to do with America's involvement in the middle east, why is there such passionate opposition to a Muslim Cultural Center in lower Manhattan?  Why all this fuss about accidental burning of the Koran?  Why were so many miffed when W. called it a "crusade". 

Your point is not without truth but it certainly comes off as myopic.  Iran, Israel, Palestine..... yeah, no Religious influence there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]As far as the 10 comandments, many of them can and should be eliminated, and the ones that should remain don't include things that should be there.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Here they are. which ones should we get rif of?

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Guys - see where Space and I are trying to take this thread - funny and witty. Not gloomy and dead people; religion and oil; politics & war economy. It's all bad and it makes your head hurt. Think nice thoughts everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

1, 2, 3, 4, 10. None have anything to do with morality, or one's actions as you mentioned everyone is judged by.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Now, can you think of any immoral/ammoral actions which aren't mentioned?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Organized religion was developed as an instrument to control the masses and it's most significant contribution to the human race has been War.  Muslim, Christian, Mormon, etc... it is all just a fairy tale.  Mary got knocked up and there were no golden tablets presented to Joseph Smith by the Mormoni.  Accept that into your heart, then grow a pair and try answering the "larger questions" for yourself, not being dependent on archaic texts.   "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo

That's why faith is a hard concept for the secularist to grasp. To him, there must be concrete evidence or scientific proof of things.

Without Faith, Hope and Trust, there is no promise for the future, and without a promising future,  life has no direction, no meaning and no justification" ~ Adlin Sinclair

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : No, its because Jesus was a chocolate bunny.  Look it up.  Leviticus, i think:  "And lo, he was possessed of floppy ears of some length.  And the sheperds did know him by his fur of cocoa and darting hop.  This was he, the messiah foretold."

Wrong, heathen Spaceboy.  It's all written:  "Our teapot, who art in orbit, Chocolate be thy name, though Spinal Tap comes, and who can blame them, for who wants a skinny ar*e bird when you're omnipitent and Marilyn Monroe's on offer?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

So you believe because you want to get into heaven, and if you're not provided the ultimate reward at death your life had no direction, no meaning, and no justification.

That's nice for you, but how dare you tell me my life has no meaning because I don't anticipate the same things you do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I wonder though, if religion has nothing to do with America's involvement in the middle east, why is there such passionate opposition to a Muslim Cultural Center in lower Manhattan?  Why all this fuss about accidental burning of the Koran?  Why were so many miffed when W. called it a "crusade".  Your point is not without truth but it certainly comes off as myopic.  Iran, Israel, Palestine..... yeah, no Religious influence there.

What is going on in Jerusalem and Palestine is fighting by three religions over a small piece of real estate that they all consider sacred. Their original leaders would say that such fighting is unnecessary. The Church should be in peoples' minds and not about a building or a patch of ground. The problem in NYC is a neighborhood issue and not far reaching. Burning the Koran was a very careless guffaw on the soldiers part, it would be liking bulldozing up an old Indian cemetery. Religions are not anywhere near as evil as political entities in this world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

There was a lot more to the Sermon on the Mount that was beyond the Ten Commandments.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Here they are. which ones should we get rif of? ONE: ' You shall have no other gods before Me. ' TWO: ' You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. ' THREE: ' You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. ' FOUR: ' Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. ' FIVE: ' Honor your father and your mother. ' SIX: ' You shall not murder. ' SEVEN: ' You shall not commit adultery. ' EIGHT: ' You shall not steal. ' NINE: ' You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. ' TEN: ' You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's. '
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

It's easy, Ike:

1-4 are a joke, just the manipulation by a theocracy (no chicks allowed in power, of course) of the semi-sentient to maintain their power and the ability to not have to have a real job.
    5:  Nah, only those who act respectfully deserve respect. 
    6:  Should be absolute....how's that Death Penalty thing working for ya? (apologies if you're opposed to state murder)
    7:  Agree in principal, but really it's nobody's busines but the 2 involved parties, right?
    8:  Should be absolute.
    9:  Should be absolute.
    10: Nope, what people want is as valueless is what people believe.  How people act is all that matters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

One would think the most salient points would be included, though...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : That's why faith is a hard concept for the secularist to grasp. To him, there must be concrete evidence or scientific proof of things. Without Faith, Hope and Trust, there is no promise for the future, and without a promising future,  life has no direction, no meaning and no justification" ~ Adlin Sinclair

No Ike, that's wrong, but thanks for your patronising bias.  Faith is simple to grasp:  blind trust in something, not because you have seen any evidence to support it, but because the very act of believing supports your pre-existing, biased, view.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : That's why faith is a hard concept for the secularist to grasp. To him, there must be concrete evidence or scientific proof of things. Without Faith, Hope and Trust, there is no promise for the future, and without a promising future,  life has no direction, no meaning and no justification" ~ Adlin Sinclair

It is an erroneous assumption that faith is only possible through a God figure.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

That's a good definition of faith until you claim that it is biased. It may not be biased but from believing in a superior being that is benovolent, loving, caring and has your best interests in mind. Since we cannot understand God and his plan and blueprint then we often have no other choice but to trust and have faith in his motives, trials, and tribulations. If that is biased then so be it and your definition is correct. However you should not make little of those who have faith in something that we are not supposed to understand because if we did understand all then we would be God.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : It is an erroneous assumption that faith is only possible through a God figure.  

I have faith in you SpaceAce and I don't believe you are a God; well at least, not a major God. Maybe you are a minor God - not quite sure on that yet. We can discuss it over a beer.

As for the 10 commandments, I never covet thy neighbor's wife, but then she looks like Youk. However, about three houses down; well, let's just say that coveting does not properly address the situation.

I love talk of religion, it sets off such a ruckus.

This thread will violently go off the rails.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : What is going on in Jerusalem and Palestine is fighting by three religions over a small piece of real estate that they all consider sacred. Their original leaders would say that such fighting is unnecessary. The Church should be in peoples' minds and not about a building or a patch of ground. The problem in NYC is a neighborhood issue and not far reaching. Burning the Koran was a very careless guffaw on the soldiers part, it would be liking bulldozing up an old Indian cemetery. Religions are not anywhere near as evil as political entities in this world.

You think religion and political entities are seperate?  Have you been watching the republican primary?  Obama gets demonized as an imposter Muslim, in what universe is that not the intersection of religion on politics? 

You can circle talk it all you want, the fact remains that for thousands of years up to and including today humans have killed other humans in the name of their gods. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I have faith in you SpaceAce and I don't believe you are a God; well at least, not a major God. Maybe you are a minor God - not quite sure on that yet. We can discuss it over a beer. As for the 10 commandments, I never covet thy neighbor's wife, but then she looks like Youk. However, about three houses down; well, let's just say that coveting does not properly address the situation. I love talk of religion, it sets off such a ruckus. This thread will violently go off the rails.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I am a golden god ...  I love music ... I AM A GOLDEN GOD!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : You think religion and political entities are seperate?  Have you been watching the republican primary?  Obama gets demonized as an imposter Muslim, in what universe is that not the intersection of religion on politics?  You can circle talk it all you want, the fact remains that for thousands of years up to and including today humans have killed other humans in the name of their gods. 

And it is not about to stop. However, if we kill God, then maybe the human race has a chance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]That's a good definition of faith until you claim that it is biased. It may not be biased but from believing in a superior being that is benovolent, loving, caring and has your best interests in mind. Since we cannot understand God and his plan and blueprint then we often have no other choice but to trust and have faith in his motives, trials, and tribulations. (1) If that is biased then so be it and your definition is correct. However you should not make little of those who have faith in something that (2) we are not supposed to understand because if we did understand all then we would be God.

(1) I believe it is, hence my use of the word "bias".  I did not intend to belittle anyone's beliefs, and wouldn't unless they belittled mine. Then I'd slaughter their beliefs. (2)  I believe that, as a sentient being, that makes no sense at all.  But I support others' rights to believe such things.  Just keep it away from my family, my friends and myself, don't expect government handouts for tax-exempt churches and faith schools, and support the first amendment as much as I do.

BTW, the only people I harass about religion are self-described "atheists" on the grounds that by allowing themselves to be dragged into the debate they are by definition giving it some validation.  I have no official position on the existence of gods any more than I have an official position on Easter Bunnies or Santas.  But if others have faith, good for you and keep it to yourself. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : You think religion and political entities are seperate?  Have you been watching the republican primary?  Obama gets demonized as an imposter Muslim, in what universe is that not the intersection of religion on politics?  You can circle talk it all you want, the fact remains that for thousands of years up to and including today humans have killed other humans in the name of their gods. 

I avoided active service in 1965 and joined the National Guard. My religious upbringing did not prepare me to go on a crusade to Viet Nam and kill other human beings. My country told me to do that. My country did not fight that war or any other war in our history for religious reasons. They saw Communism as an economic or territorial threat. The Civil War was fought over the economy and slavery. My religion would never tell me to fight in that War over greed but would state that slavery was wrong. WW1 and WW2 were fought because other countries wanted more territory and resources ( greed). We acquired extra territories for more resources and territory (greed). Where is the Church involved in these wars?

Sections
Shortcuts