Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I fear what I would be considered, so i will show restraint and shut up. But I will admit to playing in a Rock Band in the 70's & 80's brought me such wonderful experiences. And SpaceAce, admit, you are a bad man. As penance, go home and listen to the Village People's Greatest Hits continually for 4 hours or until your ears bleed.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Well Jesse, I am still in rock bands, I live in modern-day Gommorah New York City where I carouse with gays and all sorts of heathens til all hours of the night (ok, 7 or 8 pm since Space Girl was born), I may or may not inhale, and much more that I could not possibly divulge here

BUT

I am married in sanctified heterosxual union, so, I guess I am alright huh?  Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Well Jesse, I am still in rock bands, I live in modern-day Gommorah New York City where I carouse with gays and all sorts of heathens til all hours of the night (ok, 7 or 8 pm since Space Girl was born), I may or may not inhale, and much more that I could not possibly divulge here BUT I am married in sanctified heterosxual union, so, I guess I am alright huh?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You are always okay in my book. Now if somehow we can figure out a way to go have dinner at some nice Italian restaurant before the season starts, then that would be great. We can talk baseball, music and other heathen type things. I know Jete and JoeBridey are NYers, so hopefully they can join along with anyone else who lives close by.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : You are always okay in my book. Now if somehow we can figure out a way to go have dinner at some nice Italian restaurant before the season starts, then that would be great. We can talk baseball, music and other heathen type things. I know Jete and JoeBridey are NYers, so hopefully they can join along with anyone else who lives close by.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

That does sound fun.  I am for it if we can get it together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Samesexualattraction'disorder'?

I suffer from hetero-sexual attraction.  Does this mean it's not a disorder?    LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]JesseyEric can enlighten all of you why he enjoys coming to this forum and shooting  down the existence of God and Jesus Christ but won't make the same arguments to his mother and destroying her faith. Makes you wonder right. Why would he treat us differently than his dear mother? Why not be critical of everyone's religion including your loved one's? Either you believe in no God or you don't.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Not true.  I honestly don't know whether or not God exists, or if God does exist, in what form.  I believe there are many many people who feel the same way.

Belief doesn't prove anything.  I believed devoutly in Santa Claus at one time.  Truth turned out to be different.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Samesexualattraction'disorder'? I suffer from hetero-sexual attraction.  Does this mean it's not a disorder?    LOL
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

If you SUFFER from it...

unless you LIKE to suffer...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Herein lies the problem in these discussions:

The tone of the rhetoric.

On all sides, because there are certainly more than just two being discusxsed here.

If we are wiling to let the other speak without the name calling and pigeon holing we might get further.  I know it isn't as much fun ...

I love to yell...  but that's not the point.

But the Apostle Paul attempted to use reason with the thinkers in ancient Athens  - and convinced a few.

Jesus taught mostly His own ... and the first church was almost entirely Jewish
    ... and His arch enemies weren't yet "the world" (non-Jewish non-believers in Yaweh) but other Jews. What did He teach them? 

Well too much to put here.

But He certainly taught that if people don't want to hear, as hard as it is, move on.  

That isn't the same as if one gets attacked for his or her faith.  Apostle Pual says "Stand firm"  Why?  Go knock down the other?  No.  So that we might sxtay in that faith and not lose it.  Stay true to the beauty of holiness we find in Jesus.

Jesus went further .... you guyhs may have heard this lunacy about turning the other cheek and praying for those who intend you harm, loving them even as the Father does.

As to those who don't believe?  There are tags and buttons that can be pushed, not so much for the point of gentle persuation but to irritate  ... or maybe vent against some issue.  And I know it is FAR MORE COMPLICATED than that ... but you don't want to expire reading this ....

Homosexuality?

I've had people tell me that they would never enter the doors of the church I was pastoring until I left.

First I want to say I can almost understand lesbians.  I love women too.  Or I did,  have had the same girlfriend since August of 1975.  To my utter amazement, she married me in June 1977  ...crazy girl.

But guys?    Nah. Women get the short end of the stick with us (pun intended).

Born that way?   Hmmm.  OK.  I'll come back to that.

But I don't hate anyone I don't know.  And I have only been afraid of 1 gay guy...cuz he kept sizing me up.   Uncomfortable. He told me that even if we never hooked up I had a great a _ _ for a white boy. 

Compliment accepted...but moving on.

My former work partner here at the donut shop is gay and we worked together great. 

My youngest  brother is gay.  That is a whole other story...  But do I love him any less?  No.  It took him 20 years to get comfortable with me ...

But he told our folks he was always that way.  Design school didn't change him, nor did anyone there (an older "sponsor" for example).

So ... what to do?  I realize that I may now be among the homophobes in some estimations.  My younger brother thought so...n ot my youngest brother who is gay...but then he was a gentleman about it all. 

As the great hairless ape that mankind is ...

we come into this world with fewer "instincts" than most if not all creatures. 

Now, let me insert, I am not claiming to be better than anyone else.  If there be any good in me, it is because of the righteousness of Jesus Christ and the unmitigated good fortune of having parents of extremely high standards in intelligence, commitment, life style and desire to be like Christ.  I was a liar and a thief.  It came to me naturally.  My parents, grandparents and extended family were all scrupulous people,  And I even had my own money - a paper route.  So, I really didn't need to steal ...but I did anyway.

And this may really make some mad, for they may think I am inferring that being gay is criminal.  No, not what I am saying.  I am reasoning here, as best I can.  Why would I want to lie and steal while being taught otherwise in a home of such remarkable, impeccable standards?

Sin.   I know you'll get irritated with me about this, but otherwise, I was a really good guy.  

I had the teachings of Christ, but I did not yet have Christ in my heart as my Savior and friend.

I had not yet asked Him into my life.

So  ...  and I know some may have crossed me off by now, but that I cannot help.  It is not my intention to hurt anyone.  Help, if I can.

I know some of the anthropological and medical studies behind homosexualty being natural (in nature) and the hypothalimus and other places that may indicate homosexual tendencies. I'm not totally ignorant about such matters.

And I want no one to be harmed by anyone else based on ... we all most anything.

But back the great hairless ape I mentioned with some humor.

This ape has to be taught how to eat - and all the things that go with it.  He or she must be nurtured away from being born ...not knowing how to eat. Do we hate the baby hairless ape b ecause it cannot fed itself? No, we love it and nurture it. Can the baby hairless ape p oo in a way society accepts?  No, we potty train it.  ....  Lovingly or otherwise societies bring their children through these basic needs to a more acceptable place.

I know.  I'm crazy.  A hate monger.

Or someone who knows the love of God extends to all, but it requires us to live according to His design.
      Some think that's not fair but humans do it all the time.  If you were playing baseball and I showed up with a football, would you think I cold play along without changing my mind ... Not a good analogy but.

May you be at peace.

Jess, 

I'll get to your Old Testament scary God another time. Break is over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Hosea 6.6
    For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
    and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Matthew 12.7
    And if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

God's Chosen Servant
    15 Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. And many followed him, and he healed them all 16 and ordered them not to make him known. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: 18 "Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. 19 He will not quarrel or cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets; 20 a bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory; 21 and in his name the Gentiles will hope."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

WesternOregon I heard God had you on "ignore".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This thread is the coolest!  Now I am going to go to the religion forum and see what they think about Michael Bowden!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]WesternOregon I heard God had you on "ignore".
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You're dyslexic, Burrito ... that was Dog that had him on ignore.  God seems pretty cool with him right now. 

Hanky playing the faith card is unsettling, though ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Lowelll,

My parents are extremely devout catholics. I don't discuss my views on religion with them for the sake of my relationship with them. I stay away from the subject at work also, for obvious reasons.

Does that mean I should be barred from discussing it with anyone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE] I know.  I'm crazy.  A hate monger.      
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Hardly, don't be ridiculous Yaz.  I think you're wrong;  I think comparing choosing to lie and steal to someone with an atypical sexual orientation is wrong.  But expressing doubts about something you - and I, and most people discussing this issue here - have no direct, personal knowledge of is a reasonable stance and discussing issues is one way we can all learn.

Hate mongering would be demonising gay people, calling them perverts and comparing them to pedophiles....and a few posters have done that here too.  World of difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Interesting take on Athletes and Religion. I am going back to the original OP and remarks about Tebow and not about the discussion that followed.

Mo Rivera in discussing as to what his future plans are made it clear that his final decision will be made around the all-star break. As everyone knows, Mo is a devout Christian and feels his civic and moral repsonsibility is to help those who are less fortunate and since he feels he was so blessed, that he must put his money where is mouth and heart lie. Once he has made his final decision, then that will be it and there will be no turning back. But he will not do this until he knows with 100% certainty.

For this, I can only applaud as he is not about praying at the end of a save, but about taking the money he has made and helping others. A person with this faith, which I do not share will always receive my admiration and respect. If there is a God, then this is what it is all about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The OP by Davetheknave was cryptic and did not elaborate at all on his opinion in detail. My guess is that he made a mountain out of a molehill in reading all kinds of speculation into the quote by Adrian Gonzalez of " It wasn't meant to be". That line has probably been said a million times by little old ladies playing BINGO. Much ado about nothing. So now we are approaching 600 posts on a thread that had an OP that was garbage. Stayed tuned to the "Sweet Caroline" thread, who knows that earth shattering topic might get 1400 posts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The OP by Davetheknave was cryptic and did not elaborate at all on his opinion in detail. My guess is that he made a mountain out of a molehill in reading all kinds of speculation into the quote by Adrian Gonzalez of " It wasn't meant to be". That line has probably been said a million times by little old ladies playing BINGO. Much ado about nothing. So now we are approaching 600 posts on a thread that had an OP that was garbage. Stayed tuned to the "Sweet Caroline" thread, who knows that earth shattering topic might get 1400 posts.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

grrrrrrrrr

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

It's funny, most posters seemed to understand what the OP was trying to say. The fact that you still don't get it seems to suggest a reading comprehension problem on your part.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny, most posters seemed to understand what the OP was trying to say. The fact that you still don't get it seems to suggest a reading comprehension problem on your part.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

How DARE you contradict our intelligent, cultured board policeman?  How would we know what to comment on without his unbiased, interesting input?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : How DARE you contradict our intelligent, cultured board policeman?  How would we know what to comment on without his unbiased, interesting input?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

What is fascinating is that Pike, when talking baseball, is actually a fine poster capable of interesting give and take.  Over the past couple years, the  ratio of police posts to baseball posts has grown to the  point that the police posts have now completely taken over.  It is a fascinating psychological study.  A Darren Aronofsky baseball movie.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : What is fascinating is that Pike, when talking baseball, is actually a fine poster capable of interesting give and take.  Over the past couple years, the  ratio of police posts to baseball posts has grown to the  point that the police posts have now completely taken over.  It is a fascinating psychological study.  A Darren Aronofsky baseball movie.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree and have written that to him several times.  Unfathomable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

It's fascinating how otherwise intelligent people go off the rails when it comes to religion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Interesting thread. I know what my rainy day reading will be this week.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]Don't know about anyone else, but I think spirituality is an extremely personal thing. People who wear their religion on their sleeve for all to see have always seemed a little over the top to me, like a wealthy person who spends ostentatiously, just so everyone else will see they have money. I don't dislike Tim Tebow because he's a Christian, I dislike him because of his childish "Tebowing" every time he gains a yard, as though God really does have a vested interest in the Denver Bronco's won-lost record. And I find myself wishing Adrian Gonzalez would just play baseball and let the rest of the world find its own faith. Do you think professional sports are the proper forum for evangelical pursuits?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Fellow posters, please tell us if Tebow is praying or asking God to have him play at 100% of his abilities or is he thanking God for letting him play up to his abilities?

Is the OP saying that AG should never mention his faith in his interviews? Is that what this is about? Don't dozens of athletes do this all of the time?  Has his statements pushed his religion onto anyone else? I haven't heard or read such a mission into his interviews. Sorry, I don't buy into the premise of the OP if that is what he is in fact saying. If I am wrong then you can not read or listen to yje interview just like you can turn off or ignore the religion channels on your TV. Should SinceYaz be banned by BDC because he talks religion on the forum when asked to? Once again Dabetheknave starts a thread that is much ado about nothing. Why doesn't Spaceman or Chilliwings ever start a thread about baseball?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

So you don't agree with him. That's fine, you don't have to.

Why not follow your own advise and ignore it?