Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

Lowell (Pike), you did a wonderful job copy/pasting my comments and in doing so, proved my point. I did not make one comment which was disrespectful to the historical Jesus of Nazareth or any believer. I did not call anyone a homophobe, Jesus freak or anything else, nor did I put anyone who believed down by insulting them. My opinions are based on historical readings and common sense. If I put a couple of books down, well that is certainly my right. That is what they are, books. They were not written by God, they were written by men. If you cannot see the difference, then I am sorry for you. If my beliefs are insulting to believers, I cannot apologize for that. They are what I believe.

Let's just say it's not only the Yankee fans, it's their aliases, and the fact that they post a thousand times more than Sox fans everyday. (KST)

Kim - you bring up Yankee fans and all their aliases. Babe has one name, Babe, but has to constantly change it because he would be deleted every other day. But you knew it was him - he never tried to hide that. Mikey did have an alias and I cannot answer why he did. I know I asked him to stop and just be who he is.

What you fail to acknowledge are those non-Yankee fans who have a hundred aliases, starting with Ppike and Softlaw. So judging by your condemnation, then they are also at fault. And the abuse you keep mentioning but continue to defer when I ask you how your comment when you called me an A.H. for no reason. 

Why don't you and Pike just come out and say it - NY Yankee fans - go home. Say it - go for it. At least I would have some respect for that comment instead of your conspiracy theories and accusations and long drawn out commentaries about our failures as human beings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Hey everybody - I was watching the UCONN vs WVU game today and saw something that reminded me of this thread.  Ryan Boatright missed 3 straight free throws with a 3-point lead and 30 seconds left in the game.  You could see it on his face how much pressure he felt shooting the fourth - when he hit it, he pointed to the sky, but it wasn't demonstrative, and it didn't feel like something he planned.  It felt like an 18-year-old kid under more pressure than a lot of us will ever experience in our lives, came through, knew he didn't do it alone, and had a grateful moment.  We're used to seeing athletes who have already made it big, but who knows how many of these gestures were born from a similiar moment.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Only an idiot would credit God with an assist for a sports achievement. While the world deteriorates and millions die from hunger and war I really doubt he (God) took the time to assist a player with a clutch free throw.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Bryce Brentz, a Single A outfielder, was added to the roster for the game against the Blue Jays and singled to center in his one at-bat.

Bobby Valentine, who threw batting practice to Brentz two weeks ago, is impressed with the 23-year-old, saying that he’s “different” than other prospects in how the ball comes off his bat.

Brentz hit .306 with 30 home runs and 94 RBIs in 115 games for Greenville and Salem last season.

“It means a lot,” Brentz said when apprised of Valentine’s comments. “It’s my first game to come up here with the big boys. For him to make a make a statement like that, it makes you feel good as a young player.”

Brentz struggled in 2010, hitting .198 for Lowell after being a supplemental first round draft pick out of Middle Tennessee State. He said getting his emotions in check was the biggest improvement he made.

“Just tone it down a bit, get back to the basics,” Brentz said. “It was my effort level and that caused my swing to get long. Last year was about staying focused and staying through the middle. Don’t try and hit a ball 700 feet when 400 does a pretty good job.”

Brentz spent some time on the bench today talking hitting with David Ortiz.

“He told me, ‘Keep your eyes open, because you’ll learn something every day.’ He’s right,” Brentz said. “He’s got a pretty good idea.”

Brentz is hoping to move up to Portland this season. A righthanded hitter with power is something the Red Sox could use. In time, Brentz could be that man.

“I think I’m ready to get up to Double A,” Brentz said. “I’m ready for a higher challenge.”

One of the best parts of spring training is seeing players like Brentz, who called reporters "sir" today when he answered a few questions. He also has a handshake that feels like a vise

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Fenway Park, the storied, century-old home of the Boston Red Sox, has been added to the National Register of Historic Places, the Massachusetts secretary of state’s office announced today.

“Listing Fenway Park in the National Register will help preserve this exceptional place for future generations to enjoy, and recognizes its 100th anniversary this year,” Secretary of State William F. Galvin said in a statement.

The Massachusetts Historical Commission, which is chaired by Galvin, approved the nomination for the listing in December and the ballpark was added today, Galvin’s office said.

The listing is an honor. It also means that any work done in or around the park requiring federal or state funding or permitting has to be reviewed by the commission to determine its effect on the historic nature of the park. And it makes available certain federal tax incentives for rehabilitation work done there according to National Register standards, said secretary of state’s spokesman Brian McNiff.

More than 70,000 properties in Massachusetts are listed in the National Register program, which is administered in the state by the historical commission.

The team welcomed the news. “The commitment to preserve all that is good about Fenway Park was made to fans more than a decade ago, and we are pleased that Fenway Park will be counted among America’s most treasured historical places, ensuring that it is protected and enjoyed by future generations,” the Red Sox said in a statement.

Fenway, once famously described by writer John Updike as “a lyric little bandbox of a ballpark,” is the nation’s oldest operating major league baseball stadium and has served as a stage for legendary players including Ted Williams and Babe Ruth. Construction began in September 1911; the ballpark opened seven months later. In their first year in the park, the Red Sox won the 1912 World Series, Galvin’s office said.

The park has been altered over the years to upgrade the facility and improve the experience for fans and players, but “its appearance today is remarkably similar to that of decades ago,” Galvin’s office said.

The Red Sox in December announced plans for a series of events to celebrate the park’s centennial. The Red Sox statement said the team looked forward to a formal celebration of the historic designation sometime during the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Acts 1

He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]Only an idiot would credit God with an assist for a sports achievement. While the world deteriorates and millions die from hunger and war I really doubt he (God) took the time to assist a player with a clutch free throw.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point - it was a high-pressure "please God don't let me f this up" situation for a teenager under the eyes of tens of thousands at Madison Square Garden.  Most of today's highly paid athletes were teenagers on the big stage at some point in their lives - maybe that's where these gestures have roots.

By the way, I'm not religious, but I'd much rather see athletes celebrating their faith than reacting like this guy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQOXYB2cd8

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Acts 4
    18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

So, the real problems are promiscuity and se x for pleasure. And, of course, only gay people do those kinds of things.

You either didn't read my comments or you lack the intelligence to possess reading comprehension to formulate a coherent response.

And don't insult my intelligence with "gay people".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

And Spacehead, the groups you drone about empowering are pawns to whom entitlements were and are still pandered to for votes.

The problem with this Country is there is too much power to the something for nothing Fools!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]I believe there is a giant chocolate teapot orbiting the sun and, despite the total absence of any objective evidence to support my belief, I DEMAND you respect my faith and allow me to parade it in public. Either that, or you leave your personal, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable, childish beliefs at home and I will too. Of course, I would defend to the death your right to believe anthing you want as long as it doesn't affect others.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Well said Chilliwings!!!!  I happen to be a believer but that is my business and no one else's.  Nor is someone else's beliefs or non beliefs any of mine.  You want to show your religious fervor?  Do it in your daily lives without fanfare, just in the way you live.  As for your  toleration of others, keep your da@n nose out of their business and stop telling people how to live their lives or what they can or cannot worship.  Even though I am an ardent and passionate Republican, it really pi@ses me off to see someone like Santorum  trying to tell everyone how they should live and act  Stuff it Rick...and that goes double for you too Newtie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Well said Chilliwings!!!!  I happen to be a believer but that is my business and no one else's.  Nor is someone else's beliefs or non beliefs any of mine.  You want to show your religious fervor?  Do it in your daily lives without fanfare, just in the way you live.  As for your  toleration of others, keep your da@n nose out of their business and stop telling people how to live their lives or what they can or cannot worship.  Even though I am an ardent and passionate Republican, it really pi@ses me off to see someone like Santorum  trying to tell everyone how they should live and act  Stuff it Rick...and that goes double for you too Newtie.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

Yes the OP of this thread was much ado over nothing. AGonz was only responding to a reporters questions and hundreds of professional athletes genuflick, and point towards the sky. It it upsets you then close your eyes. Don't have a cow over it. It is no big deal and does not deserve a thread. Talk baseball but don't regurgitate the Wakefield and Tek soap opera on a daily basis. Start a thread about something new and as a "believer" and a religious person, try your best not to come here solely to irritate and annoy others in the forum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Yes the OP of this thread was much ado over nothing. AGonz was only responding to a reporters questions and hundreds of professional athletes genuflick, and point towards the sky. It it upsets you then close your eyes. Don't have a cow over it. It is no big deal and does not deserve a thread. Talk baseball but don't regurgitate the Wakefield and Tek soap opera on a daily basis. Start a thread about something new and as a "believer" and a religious person, try your best not to come here solely to irritate and annoy others in the forum.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Somebody appoint you thought police chief Lowelll?  I express my opinion on a variety of subjects and it just seems like we are on opposite sides concerning Varitek and Wakefield, both of whom I'm glad to see retired.  The religious threas I thought interesting so I commented on it  Since I haven't posted here in a couple of weeks you must have be mixed up with someone else over the regurgitating thing.  Lighten up and don't take yourself so serious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lowell is the Black Death of the Internet.... a plague that is unrivaled throughout the cyber world.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]"knew" he didn't do it alone?....so God is now guiding free throws in college basketball games?.....busy deity.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Mark,

God is certainly transcendant, so it is hard to accept that he would be interested in the miniscule events of one of 7 billion people at any given time.

But the reality is He is.  He  isn't necessarily guiding the shot, but He honors the intent of the individual.  

Does He guide on more improtant matters?  If you let Him.  Does He wish to be involved?  Yes.

"God inhabits the praise of His people," the word says.  It also instruct us to be praise filled even when we aren't getting our way (are persecuted or lesser harsh things.

"In all things give thanks,"  we are instructed.  Tough times can strengthen us.  Good times can thnrill us.

It is no sin,  no short coming to trust God and thank Him for blessings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Only an idiot would credit God with an assist for a sports achievement. While the world deteriorates and millions die from hunger and war I really doubt he (God) took the time to assist a player with a clutch free throw.

B,

You know how fond I am of the term idiot.   :o)

But let me say that praise is a beautiful thing, a gracious thing. It isn't something to be cast aside just because there is ugliness in the world.

Are you American?   My dad used to to teach, back in the '60-80's, that we had about 6-8 percent of the world's population and spent as much as 60  percent - usually more like 40 percent - of the world's  resources.

You bring up the harsh things in the world as if that is a direct correspondence to thanking God for a simple thing.  

Is it because YOU are starving? I don't think so, but saince you are in SE Asia,, you see a lot.  Maybe even you're helping.

I was born in Bangladesh. Mom and Dad worked among the untouchables as wsell as any where else they could.

They shared the money with the needy that might have helped my siblings and me go through college. Early in life they told us what was important.

I've served and shared as well ... 

Guess what?  Dad used to enjoy a Red Sox game almost as much as anything.

And thanked God for the multitude of blessings we have had.  Even US Army surplus peanut butter while in Injah and Pahkieestahn ...

Dad was a PhD, but an idiot.  

Me, too.

Not a PhD    but an idiot ....

I thank God when I DON"T wreck my bike ...and it looks like I'm going to.  I not only thank Him when each night's donuts come out well ...I ask for His blessing in advance.

I don't understand, in a world where there is so much ugliness, why a gracious and beautiful thing like praise is "outed."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

it really pi@ses me off to see someone like Santorum  trying to tell everyone how they should live and act 

Santorum isn't trying to tell everyone how they should live and act. He's trying to tell a Statist to stop using the federal government to tell people they have to pay for Obama and Romney care and must follow the new God of American people, the Federal Code of Regulations.

American people will continue to be free and encouraged by the federal government to continue to misbehave without any responsiblity for their actions and inactions. That isn't the province of the federal government, the moral decadence of the deeply disturbed and idolent American people.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Happy International Woman's Day to all the ladies here. Why we don't celebrate the day in the US is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHfAQ3wlxYQ

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Why don't we celebrate George Washingtons b-day anymore?  Why lump George in with Nixon, Obama, and Coolidge in the all-encompassing Presidents Day?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Why don't we celebrate George Washingtons b-day anymore?  Why lump George in with Nixon, Obama, and Coolidge in the all-encompassing Presidents Day?

40 plus government holidays were looming ....   :o)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Why don't we celebrate George Washingtons b-day anymore?  Why lump George in with Nixon, Obama, and Coolidge in the all-encompassing Presidents Day?

Rather just celebrate women and Woman's Day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: Athletes and religion": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Rather just celebrate women and Woman's Day. Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE] I expect you do that everyday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Hank,

I read your comments. Regardless of what you were trying to say, what came through was a bias on your part that gay people are more promiscuous than straight people and therefore aren't to be trusted to raise children together.  

And some people are born gay. I know because I was born straight. It wasn't a choice.