Athletes and religion

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

“Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

“Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is the belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.”

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Matthew 5

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

John 6 

So they asked him, “What sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? 31 Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”

32 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

34 “Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.”

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Weren't the motivations of those who flew the planes into the WTC already discussed in this thread? Were their motivations political or religious? Why not study and be well read on this? Could it possibly have something to do about US foreign policy? Why not google for input on such matters before throwing out an opinion?

Someone needs to watch many more hours of the History and Military Channels and to read more on how the two World Wars started. There were many reason and most of them were economic, political, and were led by a charismatic insane leader. Read up on Fascism. You get an F on your World History exam.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

fortmeade,

What was it about US foreign policy that drove bin laden to send 19 thugs to kill as many Americans as possible(thugs that died screaming god is great)?

Wasn't it something about 10,000 infidels 30 miles outside of Mecca?

Seems like it might be connected to religion in some way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Bin Laden was a leader of a terrorist group. He was not the leader of a religion. The man that operates your local convenience may be a Muslim but is most likely not a terrorist. You can't generalize. That is called "racial profiling".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

You say he wasn't a "religious leader", yet he was able to convince quite a number of "followers" to kill people in the name of religion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]You say he wasn't a "religious leader", yet he was able to convince quite a number of "followers" to kill people in the name of religion.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Talk to the Muslims at your nearest convenience store and ask them these questions, if you have the nerve to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I don't need to go to the convenience store, I eat lunch with a muslim every weekday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Good, then you now that the Muslim religion does not teach terrorism.
    You know that some Muslims are terrorists but not the majority.
    Terrorists are thus more political than religious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Good, then you now that the Muslim religion does mot teach terrorism. You know that some Muslims are terrorists but not the majority. Terrorists are thus more political than religious.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

However, religion has, perhaps ironically, always been the most easily wielded tool of terrorists and war-mongers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Review my post to fortmeade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : However, religion has, perhaps ironically, always been the most easily wielded tool of terrorists and war-mongers.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

By definition in this country, soldiers take a vow upon enlisting to place Country ahead of their religion. Otherwise they are consciencious objectors. How many of our soldiers thrust a bayonet into someone and shout out " I'm doing this for Jesus Christ"?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : By definition in this country, soldiers take a vow upon enlisting to place Country ahead of their religion. Otherwise they are consciencious objectors. How many of our soldiers thrust a bayonet into someone and shout out " I'm doing this for Jesus Christ"?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I don't know, other than they aren't using bayonetts much these days.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

There are those who would use the military to convert as many to christianity as possible, in direct contradiction to the constitution.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The point was that soldiers in this Country never fought for religious reasons. It was for patriotism, national security, way of life, and our economic interests ( oil, etc) or agsinst perceived Communism or terrorism. Not really that different from soldiers of all countries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

But they all at least thought god was on their side and prayed that they would win the battle...which sort of brings the thread full circle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Hank,

I read your comments. Regardless of what you were trying to say,

I wasn't trying to say anything but what I said, you patronizing populist.

what came through was a bias on your part that gay people are more promiscuous than straight people and therefore aren't to be trusted to raise children together.  

What came through was you own bias by knee jerking reactionary comments about moral depravity being the province of those who engage in same-sexual relations. Your droning mind was unable to separate the issue with your populist agenda. That sexual behavioral disorders are the province of all men and women does nothing to validate any specific behavioral disorder.     

And some people are born gay.

Your feeble mind is unable to do more than repeat the droning chorus of what lead you to follow a thundering herd of fools. People are born male and female. Although there is zero scientific evidence that people are born with urges for specific sexual behaviors, let us, for a child's intellect purpose, assume that people are born predisposed with specific sexual behavioral desire. What is moral and immoral is not, in reason, based upon what human desires are predisposed. Mitigation of certain behaviors is not a reasoned basis to morality. 

I know because I was born straight. It wasn't a choice

You were born male or female. As for the issue of mens rea for your behavioral desires or conduct, to the extent one submits what was or wasn't a choice is neither a science or material to morality.

It is intellectually pitiful to partonize intelligent men with the phrase "gay" and "straight" as a class identity. They are words of artifice from a populist driven agenda to legitimize and institutionalize a behavior.

As for the intellectual mouse who proclaims "he was banned for offensive la di da", this is a site which censors for viewpont monolithic generational santization purposes. 

I note that this same intellectual mouse called me "genocidal", claiming it wasn't evoked by his anger but as a joke. The reason he won't be "banned" for that comment was because he represents nearly all of the same viewpoints as the owners of this site.

One need look no further than a radical Harvard mentor of the resident corpseman, who imagined U.S.A space traders, trading "blacks" for gold.  

That this Nation has an elected leader who patronizes citizens about what is inapproriate in "the public discourse", while accepting money from a definat vile merceranry mouthpiece of the Left, Bill Maher ("That C****!"), speaks to the delinquent childlike leadership that populism is infatuated with.    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

If a man engages in inter course with a woman by envisioning a man in order to get through it, is he engaging in homosexual or hetero behavior?

Sections
Shortcuts