Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

This is still going?  Someone needs to stick a fork in this thread.  And BTW, Does Western Oregon have an original thought?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]Just ask your "life partner".
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Yes Red Sox Forum moderator. Please terminate this thread. It only divides people and brings out the worst in them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]This is still going?  Someone needs to stick a fork in this thread.  And BTW, Does Western Oregon have an original thought?
    Posted by angeroo[/QUOTE]

Hebrews 3.14

We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : For those that missed it, and give a dam, what I wrote about Softy - paraphrasing Dawkins' quote about the god of the old testament - was " "Mr. Hanky is arguably the most unpleasant character on the board: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Some of those familiar with his ways have become desensitized to their horror."    Apologies to Richard Dawkins" Quite obviously a joke, though I believe many of the terms apply to him....which is why I thought it funny. But me "posting in anger" is Softy's story and he's sticking to it!
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

How do we know when you are jesting, being sarcastic, being humorous, being a bigot, being an atheist. or trolling? Should we pay attention to your posts or put you onto ignore?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]FWIW I would like to add a few things on my own feelings about religion.  I think in my previous comments I left the impression I was a total fence-sitter.  I am a Roman Catholic, my father was a staunch Catholic, and I married a Catholic woman who is very conservative politically.  We go to Sunday mass most of the time.  I find my interest in mass varies a lot depending on who the priest is.  The last couple of weeks we've gone to a church where the priest is one of the most likable and comforting priests I've ever encountered.  I must say that when I listen to this priest talk I really want to believe him.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    LUKE 23
    44 It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[e] When he had said this, he breathed his last.

47 The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.”

As the veil was torn, the Holy of Holies in the Jewish Temple was exposed. God’s presence was now accessible to all, not just the priests. Shocking as this may have been to the priests ministering in the temple that day, it is good news to those who seek God. Jesus’ death has made us able to approach God. The torn veil illustrated Jesus’ body broken for us, opening the way for us to come to God. As Jesus cried out “It is finished!” on the cross, He was indeed proclaiming that God’s plan was now complete. The age of animal offerings was over and there was no longer need for anyone to intercede for us. We didn't have to prove we were right on threads published in this forum. He speaks to us and for us always as He alone originates truth - no one else does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Hank, I think you missed the broader implications of what I was saying(That being that one can "act" straight, i.e. engage in certain behavoirs with members of the opposite sex but actually be "gay", i.e. be attracted to members of the same sex).

Your comment, supra, is completely incoherent.

But I guess that's to be expected from such a linear thinker.

One either thinks or doesn't think. Your droning the phrase, "linear thinker", is consistent with your adopting the childishly misused words "straight" and "gay".

Give it a break, try actually thinking instead of aping comments from what is popular from the monolithic generation of infantile fools.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]As for humor, the clowns on this board better hope that the Democrats continue to borrow enough money to pay your entitlements. You'll never make it on wit and humor.

Said the guy that adopted the name of the ultimate poser.  If it weren't for his name, jr would be exactly the same except he'd be living in a broken down trailer park.  The best thing he ever did was make stupid comments about Obama resulting "are you ready for some football" getting retired.  But he does prove that you can go through life fat dumb and drunk as long as your daddy left you a legacy. 

At least his son has some talent, but that's how it works some times - talent jumps a generation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : OK, thank you for giving me the specifics.  I always tried not to pay attention, so I never knew what personal battle lines had been drawn.  I am sorry you have had to deal with so much negativity.  And that is not being sarcastic. It is interesting, the Yankee fan presence on this board.  I believe you are quite right when you assert that there is no other board on the internet like this one.  I also find it interesting that we could have such divergent views about what that presence brings to the board.  I think it makes things incredibly interesting, spices things up.  And it speaks to the crazy nature of the rivalry that Yankee fans would even want to come here and spend inordinate amounts of time posting on a Sox board.  Sox.  Yankees.  We are incomplete without the other I guess.  That is how I see it.  Yankee fans cannot live alone in the rarified air of 26 rings and Most Recognized Franchise in All Sport in All the World.  They need us and our intelligent, passionate discussion of baseball (have you ever perused the YES board?  Eeehh).  I take it is a compliment.   As far as you getting ganged up on, and Sox fans somehow not having your back, I don't know.  We are all faceless individuals on this board.  Not rival gangs.  I don't come to anyones aid when they get in personal exchanges here because I would prefer that the threads don't devolve into that, so i am certainly not going to exacerbate it by taking sides.  I am not above being drawn into fiery personal exchange (*see religious threads with 67), so I am not casting stones.  But, I merely offer: perhaps if you weren't so confrontational, people wouldn't be confrontational with you.  Some posters (like Babe) thrive on confrontation and want to draw people into confrontation.  But, for you, if it hurts your feelings, just a. don't go there wih your accusatory posts and b. just turn the other cheek when someone attacks you.  It is very easy to do in cyberspace. Anyway, if you hate it so much, I seriously suggest you work your way in over at Sons of Sam Horn.  Its ALL SOX FANS ALL DAY over there with NO TROLLS WHATSOEVER.  Sounds perfect for you.  You wouldn't have to deal with all this stuff that is driving you crazy.  Personally, I want to shoot myself in the face with boredom when I read the threads there.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed you can call me confrontational when I'm just defending myself on the board. Something I regret I didn't do when I first got here. You group all the Yankees fans into the same category of just "Yankee fans". I judge them as individuals as should everyone. Sox fans are judged as individuals here, why should Yankee fans be given a free pass so no matter the behavior, guys like you will just say you like "the Yankee fans" here?

Another thing I find fascinating about your "confrontational" remark is when you have posters like Babe who say they come here to go after Sox fans because they annoy him where he lives during spring training. How he's not considered confrontational, I'll never understand. And I'd rather drive a nail through my head then spend any amount of time on a Yankee board annoying Yankee fans. What I say about the Yankees and the annoying Yankee fans here is on a Sox board. Big difference. If you come here to troll a rival team's board, I should have the right to say what I want about that. And if you come here to drive Sox fans whose posts you don't approve of off the board, and put up abusive pics of the fans and the players, I should have a right to say something about that as well. I'm not the one who should have to go somewhere else, and neither should any of the other fans who have been driven off this board over the years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”

Not so, friend.      (edited)

It enhances, flavors, brightens - if the ....

No, wait.  You are right.  Religion.  So very often that is a construct of man's imagining.  

But a relationship WITH God through His Son and in the Holy Spirit enhances life, enhances thinking, develops a greater appreciation of this world or universe while adding an entire other dimension.

Religion is often faulty.  Even Christianity has been misused in times past - and unfortunately even today.  But if we realize what the Scriptures say, we realize that God wants to have a relationship with us.  He's been offering it for a loooong time.

I'll see you your reasoning chip, sir  - or rather, call it - and up the ante. I know I've mentioned science like an enemy of faith, but in proper perspective, they are not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, I do understgand that too many of us DON'T think more ... and Jesus of Nazareth NEVER intended us to be mental dwarves.  He was a Teacher and instructed His disciples to be teachers. 

The marvels of the physical world are indeed marvels.  The secrets being unearthed, discovered, and postulated (as to what we might yet find, let's say) are only enhanced when we incorporate the One who authored them into the life equation.

How about the attention Iggy is getting? Pedey seems to love playing along side him..... (edited, refocusng...)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

[QUOTE]being gay is a "moral" issue and/or that it is a behavioral choice? You are one of the millions of impish drones who use the term "gay" to identify a group of people who self-proclaim and/or engage in specified sexual behavior. Intellectually absurd would be putting it mildly. Behavior is behavior. As to the mens rea of a specific behavior, it isn't nor will it ever be a science. You attach "a choice" in a weak minded attempt to legitimize specific behavior. But whether subjective claims of behavior as an uncontrollable impusle or physical desire is a choice is irrelevant to whether behavior is moral.    Get back to me when you actually use your brain cells to do more than mimic the words and phrases of a monolithic generation of fools. 

You sound like another poster that was on here several years back named Softlaw.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Not so, friend .      (edited) It enhances, flavors, brightens - if the ....    No, wait.  You are right.  Religion.  So very often that is a construct of man's imagining.     But a relationship WITH God through His Son and in the Holy Spirit enhances life, enhances thinking, develops a greater appreciation of this world or universe while adding an entire other dimension.   Religion is often faulty.  Even Christianity has been misused in times past - and unfortunately even today.  But if we realize what the Scriptures say, we realize that God wants to have a relationship with us.  He's been offering it for a loooong time.   I'll see you your reasoning chip, sir  - or rather, call it - and up the ante. I know I've mentioned science like an enemy of faith, but in proper perspective, they are not mutually exclusive.   Anyway, I do understgand that too many of us DON'T think more ... and Jesus of Nazareth NEVER intended us to be mental dwarves.  He was a Teacher and instructed His disciples to be teachers.    The marvels of the physical world are indeed marvels.  The secrets being unearthed, discovered, and postulated...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Genesis 2:2
    By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Hank, the only point I've tried to make to you is that some people are born gay. That is true regardless of whatever behavoir they choose to engage in, so I'm not currently arguing the morality of that behavoir.

Have you ever had a wo ody, hank? if so, what caused it? Did you choose to have it or did it occur without any intellectual activity whatsoever?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

broken down trailer park.

Bigoted phrase, see "Cops acted stupidly" comment by a bigoted man who wasn't present for what he later would impishly patronize on with "a beer summit".

Hank, the only point I've tried to make to you is that some people are born gay.

All people are born male and female, a scientific fact. It is futile to try and make a point "some people are born gay". Your childish use of the term "gay" as a term for human identity is intellectually absurd. As for sexual behavior and impulse, the issue of men rea for behavior will never be scientific and is immaterial to the morality of specific behaviors.

The psychiatry of various subjective sensual perceptions which evoke various human physical sexual responses is neither scientific or material to morality. And for one who is a childlike bigot when it comes to issues of sexual behavior (see childish comment about "the 40 year old virgin" to demean human beings who, for their own subjective reasons which deserve full human respect, have not engaged in sexual intercourse), you seriously should consider getting professional help for simply aping the talking points of a monolithic generaton of ignorant fools.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

What can I say, you're wrong and you need to enroll in a Biology class.

As for my comment on the 40 year old virgin, you can call it childish but it appears to have been on the mark. It really wasn't meant to be disrespectful, just to say that if you got some action you might relax a little. As for you deserving respect...come on Hank. You've never given anyone here an ounce of respect, so to say you deserve it is absurd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Not so, friend .      (edited) It enhances, flavors, brightens - if the ....    No, wait.  You are right.  Religion.  So very often that is a construct of man's imagining.     But a relationship WITH God through His Son and in the Holy Spirit enhances life, enhances thinking, develops a greater appreciation of this world or universe while adding an entire other dimension.   Religion is often faulty.  Even Christianity has been misused in times past - and unfortunately even today.  But if we realize what the Scriptures say, we realize that God wants to have a relationship with us.  He's been offering it for a loooong time.   I'll see you your reasoning chip, sir  - or rather, call it - and up the ante. I know I've mentioned science like an enemy of faith, but in proper perspective, they are not mutually exclusive.   Anyway, I do understgand that too many of us DON'T think more ... and Jesus of Nazareth NEVER intended us to be mental dwarves.  He was a Teacher and instructed His disciples to be teachers.    The marvels of the physical world are indeed marvels.  The secrets being unearthed, discovered, and postulated (as to what we might yet find, let's say) are only enhanced when we incorporate the One who authored them into the life equation.    How about the attention Iggy is getting? Pedey seems to love playing along side him..... (edited, refocusng...)
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Yaz - I posted a few Dawkins quotes, including this one, in response to WO's multiple biblical quotes.  I think Dawkins's views are well thought out and cleverly written, but I think he also likes to wind people up with very strong, often subtle (though not on this one) wording....and they're just his views anyway.  I'm in broad agreement with what you've written.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Job 40
    1 The LORD said to Job:

2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
    Let him who accuses God answer him!”

p.s. "In response to WO..." That's funny. You contend with God through Dawkins? That's funny. I have no comment on any beliefs, thoughts or theories of those posting within this thread. Nevertheless, I must say though, if you presume to contend with God, bring your lunch pail chili...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Yaz - I posted a few Dawkins quotes, including this one, in response to WO's multiple biblical quotes.  I think Dawkins's views are well thought out and cleverly written, but I think he also likes to wind people up with very strong, often subtle (though not on this one) wording....and they're just his views anyway.  I'm in broad agreement with what you've written.

You are so full of sh-it that it is dripping out of your ears. You were the Anti-Christ and Anti-God throughout this thread and it is documented on over 50 posts. Now you are making a lame attempt to squirm out of it.  How long have you had the avatar of your hero.

Now you are saying that your opinions on the existence of God or Christ are not yours but are those of Dawkins and you expect us to believe you. At least JesseyEric is sincere in his atheism. You are not.

Now you say that you are in " broad agreement" with a man of the cloth when you were were 180 degrees against him on 50 other posts. That is BS and you know it. Your credibility is forever ruined in this forum and to me you are not only a heathen but also a fraud. You wasted the time of SinceYaz and Teilahardian since they spent hours responding to you. Are you proud of that? You turned off many to religion who were searching for answers. Will they ever recover? Your only motive seems to be coming to a forum and using your articulation and knowledge to impress and fool others. Get another hobby. A thread with 600 posts polluted intentionally. Shame on you.

many

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : You are so full of sh-it that it is dripping out of your ears. You were the Anti-Christ and Anti-God throughout this thread and it is documented on over 50 posts. Now you are making a lame attempt to squirm out of it.  How long have you had the avatar of your hero.   Now you are saying that your opinions on the existence of God or Christ are not yours but are those of Dawkins and you expect us to believe you. At least JesseyEric is sincere in his atheism. You are not.   Now you say that you are in " broad agreement" with a man of the cloth when you were were 180 degrees against him on 50 other posts. That is BS and you know it. Your credibility is forever ruined in this forum and to me you are not only a heathen but also a fraud. You wasted the time of SinceYaz and Teilahardian since they spent hours responding to you. Are you proud of that? You turned off many to religion who were searching for answers. Will they ever recover? Your only motive seems to be coming to a forum and using your articulation and knowledge to impress and fool others. Get another hobby. A thread with 600 posts polluted intentionally. Shame on you. many
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I'm not squirming out of anything, nor have I been or attempted to be an "anti-Christ" on this post.  When I wrote "broad agreement" it was wrt Yaz' response to the quote “I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.” As I wrote, Dawkins does like to wind people up, and I randomly pasted some of his quotes in response to another's multiple bible quotations. Yaz' reply, as I understood it, was less in defense of "religion" than it was "belief".  Yaz even wrote "Religion is often faulty" (not cherry picking, just using it as a simple example of the "broad agreement").

I do not believe in gods, I do not believe religion is a good thing, I do support peoples' right to religion....is that clear enough?  By writing "broad agreement" I simply meant I think organised religion is the problem, not individuals' faith and was trying to find common ground with a person whose opinions I respect even if I don't agree with them.  Perhaps I was too cryptic in my response.

FWIW, my partner is religious and wanted our daughter baptised.  I didn't but respected her wishes.  My only conditions were I wouldn't lie to anyone about it, especially her minister, and wouldn't say or do anything hypocrital during the ceremony.  You can twist the ferocity of my responses to you, 67 and Ike into anything you want, but I think my words and actions are far more accepting of others' views than yours are.

And now you're even patronising the believers on this thread i.e. "You turned off many to religion who were searching for answers".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Chilli I think you could say you support Satan and still have more acceptance on this forum than the scum that is known as "lowell".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion :

Also:  How long have you had the avatar of your hero.   About a month, and I wrote "a bit of a hero" and clarified it's due to his brilliance and courage, not his beliefs.

Now you are saying that your opinions on the existence of God or Christ are not yours but are those of Dawkins and you expect us to believe you.  I am not saying that at all!  I simply pasted them in response to another's endless bible quotes.

At least JesseyEric is sincere in his atheism. You are not.   I am 100% sincere, but, again, I do not describe myself as an atheist...and am disappointed that Dawkins does.  I think that's giving ground to a belief that others hold....why should I acknowledge the validity of something I don't believe in by formally taking a position against it? 

and to me you are not only a heathen you open-minded person, you!

You wasted the time of SinceYaz and Teilahardian since they spent hours responding to you.  I do not think that is true, and would be sad if they thought it was true.  I've learned a few things on this thread, from them and a few others.

Your only motive seems to be coming to a forum and using your articulation and knowledge to impress and fool others. Absolutely false to claim I have an agenda, and Softy says I'm a mental midget so I know the rest is false too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Let the people read all of your posts on the thread. Let SinceYaz and TeilHardian respond to you but they will be tolerant because they are full of the directive from Jesus who said "Love your enemies" and "Don't argue but set an example" and "Judge not or you will be judged by my father in Heaven" and "Turn the other cheek". Such a directive from someone who they believe to be the Son of God muzzles the mouth and ties the hands of a believer on an Internet forum. So this means that those who can debate you will not because that is verboten. Everyone reading demands a response but a true Christian won't because Jesus said not to. 

I imagine that since you can't argue these things with your wife, you need an outlet or release so you come here to do it. You spare your wife but care not about the damage that you inflict here. Why not have your wife read this entire thread  and see what she think of you and the damage that you do here. Do you go to her church and read quotes from the teachings of your avatar hero? I dare you to let your wife read this thread and then discuss it with you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Chilli I think you could say you support Satan and still have more acceptance on this forum than the scum that is known as " lowell ".
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I'm gunning for a spot on his Most Wanted list.

Perhaps this will push me over the cliff*:  I take the concept of Satan as seriously as I do the concept of Santa.

* Tap Tap Tap Tap

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: Athletes and religion": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : You are so full of sh-it that it is dripping out of your ears. You were the Anti-Christ and Anti-God throughout this thread and it is documented on over 50 posts. Now you are making a lame attempt to squirm out of it.  How long have you had the avatar of your hero.   Now you are saying that your opinions on the existence of God or Christ are not yours but are those of Dawkins and you expect us to believe you. At least JesseyEric is sincere in his atheism. You are not.   Now you say that you are in " broad agreement" with a man of the cloth when you were were 180 degrees against him on 50 other posts. That is BS and you know it. Your credibility is forever ruined in this forum and to me you are not only a heathen but also a fraud. You wasted the time of SinceYaz and Teilahardian since they spent hours responding to you. Are you proud of that? You turned off many to religion who were searching for answers. Will they ever recover? Your only motive seems to be coming to a forum and using your articulation and knowledge to impress and fool others. Get another hobby. A thread with 600 posts polluted intentionally. Shame on you. many Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]G Got to agree with Lowell here

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Let the people read all of your posts on the thread. Let SinceYaz and TeilHardian respond to you but they will be tolerant because they are full of the directive from Jesus who said "Love your enemies" and "Don't argue but set an example" and "Judge not or you will be judged by my father in Heaven" and "Turn the other cheek". Such a directive from someone who they believe to be the Son of God muzzles the mouth and ties the hands of a believer on an Internet forum. So this means that those who can debate you will not because that is verboten. Everyone reading demands a response but a true Christian won't because Jesus said not to.  I imagine that since you can't argue these things with your wife, you need an outlet or release so you come here to do it. You spare your wife but care not about the damage that you inflict here. Why not have your wife read this entire thread  and see what she think of you and the damage that you do here. Do you go to her church and read quotes from the teachings of your avatar hero? I dare you to let your wife read this thread and then discuss it with you.

Again, breathtakingly patronising assumptions:

"Let SinceYaz and TeilHardian respond to you but they will be tolerant...." - So if they agree with you, you're right.....and if they disagree with you they won't say anything....and you will use that silence to prove you're right. Do you ever tire of always being right?

She knows exactly how I feel.  And she knows I am always respectful of her beliefs.  I'm happy to let her read it....I often show her some of the posts people like you and Softlaw write and she thinks they're hilarious.

Sections
Shortcuts