Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Let's not even get into morality, for that has nothing to do with any religion, organized or not.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Matthew 5:17
    "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I didn't come to destroy them, but to fulfill them..."

...Jess, you're correct I think. People get "caught" by professing that their "way" of doing, thinking or being is "right" (as hankwilliams and others often do) when merely following Christ IS right. No one is "right" - only God.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]"Two consenting adults" is not the golden rule. And people want to know why more and more people move away from religion as years progress. Too funny! Peple don't move away from religion. They move away from self-discipline and moral teachings of some religions. They move towards popular behaviors of individual pleasure. Only a fool thinks that contemporary culture is blazing a new trail of virtue. This is the road that most people have chosen to travel, since mankind walked the earth.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Hank, you take no individual pleasure?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Hank, you take no individual pleasure?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Spaceman...talk about poking the proverbial tiger. You know the answer to your question. More importantly (my tongue firmly in my cheek as we acknowledge softie's salvation is in question) who do you think will play more productively at third base this year, "Miggy" or "Youk" and do you think they'd both benefit from ardent prayer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Spaceman...talk about poking the proverbial tiger. You know the answer to your question. More importantly (my tongue firmly in my cheek as we acknowledge softie's salvation is in question) who do you think will play more productively at third base this year, "Miggy" or "Youk" and do you think they'd both benefit from ardent prayer?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

West-O, Youk will be far superior to Miggy at the hot corner.  And, certainly, Miggy will be srdently praying that no more fiendish bad-hop hot-shots target his face.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : West-O, Youk will be far superior to Miggy at the hot corner.  And, certainly, Miggy will be srdently praying that no more fiendish bad-hop hot-shots target his face.  

For the "Bengal's" sake I hope the experiment works but if I'm Leyland I'd say, "Let's go with Brandon at third, Miggy at first and Prince...do you mind manning the DH this season?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Hanky,

I never said anything about two consenting adults.

Last year I took my brother and his dog in for 6 months even though we didn't have the room to do so. I didn't do that for comfort or pleasure, but because he needed help. I've been driving my SIL to work every Saturday and Sunday morning at 5:30 am( 50 mile round trip), and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. I'm not doing this for pleasure or comfort, but because she needs help.

That's a moral code. Pure altruism.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with god, the church, the bible, or looking for eternal salvation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : For the "Bengal's" sake I hope the experiment works but if I'm Leyland I'd say, "Let's go with Brandon at third, Miggy at first and Prince...do you mind manning the DH this season?"

Yeah.  That certainly would make the Tigs a more dangerous club.  Cabrera is going to be a disaster at third.  Inge would be very solid, and, while his bat is mediocre, I am not sure Delmon Young's is any better.  

but, I doubt prince would go for it.  Maybe after the next hot shot that Miggy fails to get square on and get a glove on takes out his other eye socket (ardent prayers notwithstanding), Prince would reconsider.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Let's not even get into morality, for that has nothing to do with any religion, organized or not.

Morality certainly has nothing to do with "the individual thinker".

Taking in a dog was a terrible sacrifice, but it isn't moral validation of your individual choices in life.

Space, individual pleasure is not the province of contemporary cultural immorality. Your patronizing flippant comment isn't worthy of further response.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Because it's the right thing to do, Yaz. Some of us need religion to tell us how to act, and others don't.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

The right thing is so subjective, my friend.

Until the western cultures invaded the jungles of Africa and South America- and even then it took another half millenia to reach some of these folks,  there were those who thought it good and proper to eat their enemies.  Man was as much a food source as roots and berries. 

Personally, we have no right to tell these people that is wrong.

Man-boy lovers see nothing wrong with molesting - uh - loving - -a child.   They think that it won't be too long before our culture says that is acceptable.  Not what I am saying - what they are.

87% of our high schoolers cheating is ok, as long as you don't get caught.... 
    Almost as many in college thjink the same ...

I am very proud of you that you don't need religion to tell you right from wrong.  I don't need it either.  I am not religious.  I have a relationship with Yahweh-God through the person of His Son, Jesus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

That relationship, BTW, has nothing to do with the merits of my life.  It is based oon the love of God towared us all.  Anyone can have it.  He - God - has made the offer to all of us.

I am just fortunate enough to have heard the offer and accepted it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought Carl Everett was the religious-athlete standard, who after a HR, would point up to the sky to thank God, then turn to the opposing dugout and grab his crotch. 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Sad that Carl was that way ...  but more to the standard is your Mo.  He's not just in a class by himeslf as a baseball player, his faith has guided him to many humanitarian causes.  I have always been impressed with him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

"...during my fourth year pitching in the minors, I faced some personal trials that forced me to take a good, hard look at how I was living. Through this experience, I realized that if I ever hoped to reach my goals, I had to turn to Jesus for help and direction. So I asked Jesus to forgive me for my sins and invited Him to take charge of my life.

By the grace of God, I was drafted by the Yankees in 1995. The last ten years with New York have been an incredible experience, far greater than I ever imagined. I have helped my team win three World Series, including the 1999 championship, during which I was named Most Valuable Player. I have also been able to use my position as a professional athlete to help many people in need.

I still like to enjoy myself. But now I’m able to keep everything in perspective, because I know that following Christ is the most important thing in life. If you’re caught up in a lifestyle that leaves you feeling empty, I encourage you to seek out a new life in Christ." -Mariano Rivera

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Adrian Gonzalez, has Psalm 27:1 inscribed on his bat. That Bible verse reads, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”

“It is a reminder that when you are in a tough situation, God is in control,” Gonzalez says. “I put it with my autograph in hopes kids would ask what that is and take time to read it. Hopefully it will lead them to the Bible.”

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

“Professional athletes have a tremendous platform, and I try to use that platform, I look for opportunities to speak out about my faith.” -Chase Headley

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

“I am very thankful for every day I am given and for the life I have been blessed with, and I know the reason I am on earth is to glorify God. The way I treat people is the way I think Christ would treat people.” -Justin Masterson

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If you’re caught up in a lifestyle that leaves you feeling empty, I encourage you to seek out a new life in Christ." -Mariano Rivera

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

"God allows things to happen the way He wants, and we need to accept it joyfully and to love Him through things that don’t happen the way we would like in life.

The Bible says: 'And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Being sent up and down in both 2007 and 2008 was a great lesson for me. I had a prideful and wrong attitude of success. God was saying to me, “Keep working, keep glorifying Me; wherever you are, don’t grow weary in doing good for in due time, you will reap,’” he says. -Ben Zobrist

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]If you’re caught up in a lifestyle that leaves you feeling empty , I encourage you to seek out a new life in Christ." -Mariano Rivera
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

I am open to "trite platitudes" like this and I recognize that people who do not follow Christ are not. In fact they may be offended by them, I do not use them.

The likes of, "Hate the sin, love the sinner."  "God said it....I believe it....that settles it."  "Christians aren't perfect, we're just forgiven." " I'm praying for you...." ...are another language to people who have no relationship with Christ. Thankfully Ben Zobrist, Justin Masterson, Mariano Rivera, Adrian Gonzalez and Chase Headley speak words that resonante for me. Perhaps God has placed them for the benefit of the saintly sinners and NOT for the doubters. Again though, perhaps the issue doubters have is not with those who follow but with God Himself...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I am open to "trite platitudes" like this and I recognize that people who do not follow Christ are not. In fact they may be offended by them, I do not use them. The likes of, "Hate the sin, love the sinner."  "God said it....I believe it....that settles it."  "Christians aren't perfect, we're just forgiven." " I'm praying for you...." ...are another language to people who have no relationship with Christ. Thankfully Ben Zobrist, Justin Masterson, Mariano Rivera, Adrian Gonzalez and Chase Headley speak words that resonante for me. Perhaps God has placed them for the benefit of the saintly sinners and NOT for the doubters. Again though, perhaps the issue doubters have is not with those who follow but with God Himself...

West-O, my friend, let me offer you an alternative perspective on the "doubters" than having a "problem" with either God or God's followers:  Speaking for myself, I had no religion in my upbringing.  So, the notion of accepting a God figure does not come easy to me nor do I have any frame of reference for this.  However, I have learned over the course of my life that our spiritual journey, the journey of learning our morality and acting bravely there upon, is the most important journey we have as humans.  And, furthermore, I recognize that it would be a much clearer road for me if I could accept precepts already codified by God.  So, I have no 'problem' with any who seek God or the notion of God.  In fact, I have respect for anyone working hard to live to a high moral standard.  We all must journey through darkness and light is hard to find (even if you know where to find it). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : West-O, my friend, let me offer you an alternative perspective on the "doubters" than having a "problem" with either God or God's followers:  Speaking for myself, I had no religion in my upbringing.  So, the notion of accepting a God figure does not come easy to me nor do I have any frame of reference for this.  However, I have learned over the course of my life that our spiritual journey, the journey of learning our morality and acting bravely there upon, is the most important journey we have as humans.  And, furthermore, I recognize that it would be a much clearer road for me if I could accept precepts already codified by God.  So, I have no 'problem' with any who seek God or the notion of God.  In fact, I have respect for anyone working hard to live to a high moral standard.  We all must journey through darkness and light is hard to find (even if you know where to find it). 

One of, if not the best, posts on this thread...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

anything that makes one consider the well being of his fellow human, i am in favor of....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]anything that makes one consider the well being of his fellow human, i am in favor of....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

word

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : word

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.   John 1, NIV

Word, indeed, my friend!!!   :oD

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

"We all must journey through darkness and light is hard to find (even if you know where to find it)."

Space:  Your sentance was the best thing I've read on these boards in some time.  One darn good post friend - thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Dave,

A late note of appreciation.  If you had not spoken your mind, the opportunity for this discussion may not have arisen.

A footnote.  Thursday morning my opener came in to get the shop going.  She's 23.  She looked right at me and said, "I hate Tim Tebow!"

I was a little surprised and replied that I love him, think he's great.

She repeated herself and I asked why.  "Because he's gonna take Sanchez's spot as the starter ... and I looooooove Sanchez." 

Not a religious statement, just a crush on Sanchize!!!!

:o)

Diff'rent strokes ....

Sections
Shortcuts