Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : When they 'came for the Jews' they were coming to kill them.  Not force them to provide equal health care benefits for their employees. 
    Posted by slomag

LOL!!! Are we splitting hairs here Dude? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

God is a concept by which we measure our pain

-john lennon

remember, he was The Walrus...he knew things

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Obama hasn't attacked catholics. He just won't allow catholic affiliated employers to deny birth control to their employees who need it.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

That's tyranny, my friend!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : That's tyranny, my friend!
    Posted by Alibiike

wow. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Call it payback for all your judgemental insulting of my beautiful gay friends and family.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Really, Spaceman? That doesn't sound like you. I thought you were above such childish remarks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

How about denying birth control to those who need it? Isn't that tyranny?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Really?  How much more insulting can you get!  I'm a Catholic who loves her faith.  I believe in Jesus and I love to spend time with Him. Your insensitive comments are uncalled for.  We have the right of religious freedom in this country, at least for now. Would you make the same horrid comments about gays, blacks, hispanics? What about Jews and Muslims? F irst they came for the Jews and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew. T hen they came for the communists and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist. T hen they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist. T hen they came for me - and by then there was no one left to speak out for me. The German anti-Nazi activist, Pastor Martin Niemöller Are you aware of this famous poem?  If not do some research on the author. The attack on Catholics by Obama has to be taken very seriously... Catholic bashing should not be tolerated by anyone!
    Posted by 67redsox

Oh please, the last time you posted (you only seem to post about religious issues, as if you were trawling....) you made FAR worse comments about gays.  Ridiculous, digusting comments I won't dignify by repeating them.  I challenged you, you claimed you had "research", I asked at least 10 times for it and when you finally provided it....it was a complete joke, totally religously biased and 100% non-academic.  The three sources even referenced each other!  A child would have laughed at its poor quality, but you presented it as "research".  Hahahaha.

Your moral and intellectual credibility is zero and you're not worthy of support no matter what people post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Really, Spaceman? That doesn't sound like you. I thought you were above such childish remarks.
    Posted by Alibiike

Nope.  I am not. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My answer to organized religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7OCJexAeh0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

How about denying birth control to those who need it? Isn't that tyranny?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

A catholic institution has a right to practice it's religion, it's a constitutional right.

Pregnancy isn't an illness or disease so it isn't health care.  Health care is to prevent and illness or cure a disease.

Abortion, sterilization, birth control are all choices.  We are all allowed to make choices, even the bad choices I just listed.

Health care does not have to cover plastic surgery because it's a choice.  If someone doesn't like their big ears that is not a serious medical condition so it's not covered by health care.

Pregnancy is not a serious medical condition.  It is a normal result of a man and woman being close (that's for the kids)

Hence health insurance should not be expected to cover medications and procedures that prevent or end a normal medical condition.

The catholic church and it's institutions are protected under freedom of religion in the constitution.  There are plenty of free clinics out there that will provide birth control for those who want it.

Be very careful about the loss of freedoms.  If Obama is allowed to get away with this then at some point one of your freedoms will be taken away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : A catholic institution has a right to practice it's religion, it's a constitutional right. Pregnancy isn't an illness or disease so it isn't health care.  Health care is to prevent and illness or cure a disease. Abortion, sterilization, birth control are all choices.  We are all allowed to make choices, even the bad choices I just listed. Health care does not have to cover plastic surgery because it's a choice.  If someone doesn't like their big ears that is not a serious medical condition so it's not covered by health care. Pregnancy is not a serious medical condition.  It is a normal result of a man and woman being close (that's for the kids) Hence health insurance should not be expected to cover medications and procedures that prevent or end a normal medical condition. The catholic church and it's institutions are protected under freedom of religion in the constitution.  There are plenty of free clinics out there that will provide birth control for those who want it. Be very careful about the loss of freedoms.  If Obama is allowed to get away with this then at some point one of your freedoms will be taken away.
    Posted by 67redsox

good point 67.  We better get someone like Bush back in control.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

It's not an insult, he simply doesn't believe in the immaculate conception. You have absolutely no reason to be offended given that you agree he has a right not to believe.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

That's not what he said.  He said Mary got 'nocked up'.  tha's insulting to say about any woman.  He meant to be insulting so I have every right to be offended.

I can just imagine the outrage on this board if I siad somehting just as derogatory about a gay person.  I would be called all sorts of names.  But it's okay to mock someone else's religion.

A bit hypocritical don't you think

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

If you choose to be a secular humanist, deep thinking , atheist, " progressive" , that is certainly your prerogative.  I am sure your professors are proud of you. However , if you choose to ridicule and demean the faith of others, try to at least have the courage to ridicule all religions , rather than always singling out Christianity.
    Posted by dgalehouse

WELL SAID!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : A catholic institution has a right to practice it's religion, it's a constitutional right. Pregnancy isn't an illness or disease so it isn't health care.  Health care is to prevent and illness or cure a disease. Abortion, sterilization, birth control are all choices.  We are all allowed to make choices, even the bad choices I just listed. Health care does not have to cover plastic surgery because it's a choice.  If someone doesn't like their big ears that is not a serious medical condition so it's not covered by health care. Pregnancy is not a serious medical condition.  It is a normal result of a man and woman being close (that's for the kids) Hence health insurance should not be expected to cover medications and procedures that prevent or end a normal medical condition. The catholic church and it's institutions are protected under freedom of religion in the constitution.  There are plenty of free clinics out there that will provide birth control for those who want it. Be very careful about the loss of freedoms.  If Obama is allowed to get away with this then at some point one of your freedoms will be taken away.
    Posted by 67redsox

Hahahaha.  You do not and should not have the freedom to deny others' their rights due to your religious beliefs.

I support everyone's right to have religious beliefs, and that includes protecting those workers from your dogma.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Oh please, the last time you posted (you only seem to post about religious issues, as if you were trawling....) you made FAR worse comments about gays.  Ridiculous, digusting comments I won't dignify by repeating them.  I challenged you, you claimed you had "research", I asked at least 10 times for it and when you finally provided it....it was a complete joke, totally religously biased and 100% non-academic.  The three sources even referenced each other!  A child would have laughed at its poor quality, but you presented it as "research".  Hahahaha. Your moral and intellectual credibility is zero and you're not worthy of support no matter what people post.
    Posted by Chilliwings

Your research was from left wing groups but you swear by them. That makes you so much better than me, right?  I never insulted gays, never called them names and never ridiculed them.

My catholic religion teaches me to love the sinner but hate the sin.  I think that makes me a far better person than you.

You are the name caller hence the child.  I don't argue with children so now you are on my ignore list.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Posted by 67redsox

Freedom of religion means the freedom to worship how and where you choose without threat of persecution.  To interpret it as the right to create a business that is immune to regulation is ridiculous.  If hospital A has to provide certain options to its employees than so does hospital B, regardless of whether the administrators are Catholics, Jews or atheists.  By your argument, a Christian Scientist institution should not be required to provide any type of health care to its employees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Lord.... I'm no world historian but here are a few thoughts. WWI began with a religiously motivated assassination (Archduke) and there was Christian genocide at the hands of the Ottoman.  Did this motivate U.S. involvement,  I don't know but to say there was no religious element to WWI is again, MYOPIC.  Again, I don't remember 9th grade history that well but wasn't one of the root causes of WWI a seperation of church and state issue?  Where is religion involved in WWII?  Really?  Wasn't state control of the church and the establishment of a national religion one of the main tenets of Nazi Germany?  Wasn't it through the church that Nazi propaganda was spread?  Am I missing something here?  Marin Luther? Anti-sematism?  Bueller????  
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

You are missing a whole lot.  The causes of WWl are long and complicated, you may want to get some DVD's from the history channel or do some research because the reasons for the war are far too complicated to talk about here.  To simplify it by saying it was a separation of church in state is just plain wrong.

Also you need to do some reading on the causes of WWll.  There were harsh terms set for those who lost WWl.  Germany became destitute and desperate.  Hilter came along and promised he would restore German supremacy because they were the Arian race.

He started by taking back some German lands that were lost in WWl and carried on from there. There was a deep hatred of the Jew in Europe at that time.  Hitler jumped on that bandwagon and set out to eliminate the Jews, Catholics and other undesirables.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  I suggest you do some reading before you make any more false comments about faith and the church.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

In Response to Athletes and religion:
    Don't know about anyone else, but I think spirituality is an extremely personal thing. People who wear their religion on their sleeve for all to see have always seemed a little over the top to me, like a wealthy person who spends ostentatiously, just so everyone else will see they have money. I don't dislike Tim Tebow because he's a Christian, I dislike him because of his childish "Tebowing" every time he gains a yard, as though God really does have a vested interest in the Denver Bronco's won-lost record. And I find myself wishing Adrian Gonzalez would just play baseball and let the rest of the world find its own faith. Do you think professional sports are the proper forum for evangelical pursuits?
    Posted by davetheknave
     Just try and remember that religion is of man and Christianity is Christ like. Do you see the difference. Most players have experienced the true presence of God in there life, and would not be in the possition they are now in, if they did not dedicate their lives to God. John Chapter 3 explains the only way to know God and enter heaven. Most people have NO clue what born-again means. It's asking God to forgive your sins and asking God to come live in your body. read the Bible and God will direct your ways. It's really being humble and Christ like to people. Letting your light shine!!!1 God's light that is....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Freedom of religion means the freedom to worship how and where you choose without threat of persecution.  To interpret it as the right to create a business that is immune to regulation is ridiculous.  If hospital A has to provide certain options to its employees than so does hospital B, regardless of whether the administrators are Catholics, Jews or atheists.  By your argument, a Christian Scientist institution should not be required to provide any type of health care to its employees.
    Posted by slomag

Freedom of religion is the right to PRACTICE  your religion.  Catholicism teaches that taking of a life from conception to a natural death is a grave sin.

The church also teaches that to participate in another's grave sin is committing that sin also.

For example, if I were to drive a women to an abortion mill to have an abortion I would have the grave sin of abortion on my soul.

My religion teaches me that if I knowing have a grave sin on my soul and I do not sincerely repent I will go to hell.

You may not agree with what the catholic church teaches but that's not the point.  The catholic church has the right to teach what she believes to her followers.

Catholics have a RIGHT TO PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION.  By forcing them to provide abortion pills, sterilization and the pill they are committing a grave sin so their soul would be in jeopardy of damnation.

By the way the pill works in two ways.  One is to stop ovulation hence preventing pregnancy.  The other is to prevent the uterus from accepting a fertilized egg. The newly conceived child in then expelled from the womb.  Millions of women have aborted millions of babies and have not realization of what they have done.

Pregnancy isn't a disease so it's prevention isn't health care.  The left has uses those words to convince people women have a right to birth control, they don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Personally, I find it sickening that athletes thank god for their accomplishments.  God had NOTHING to do with the touchdown catch/throw, homerun, three-pointer or hat trick.  They'd be better off thanking their little league coach who told them to "keep your eye on the ball", or whatever the case may be.  Maybe it was just all that hard work, sweat, and sacrafices that enabled the performance.  These athletes would be better served thanking coaches, teammates, parents, or even the traveling secretary for a nice hotel to sleep in, than some mysterious, made-up, out-of-date phantom known as "God".   And BTW, there is no God...So get over it already!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Mary got nocked up.  As a catholic I find that offensive.  Shall we start gay bashing?  What about insulting racial comments about blacks or hispanics. If you don't want to believe that is your choice, that doesn't mean you can insult those who do.
    Posted by 67redsox

" Mary got knocked up" was meant to be insulting and offensive. Any Catholic would be disgusted by that statement.  Gays , blacks and hispanics are " protected groups."  If you offend them here , you are banned. If you offend them in public , you lose your job. If you offend Muslims , you may lose more than your job.  But Catholics remain fair game for these " progressive " , politically correct, bigoted , hypocrites.  Why is that?  We are all free to believe what we want, but why not have respect for the beliefs of others. " Mary got knocked up " is one of the worst things I have seen posted on this forum.  I have lost all respect for the poster who calls himself " These men are cowards."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Joebreidey, Interesting question given that it's christians that look forward to the end of the world(rapture). What makes you think non-beleivers would be more prone to suicide? I guess it must be that nonsense about life having no meaning if it isn't to continue in an afterlife.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

I don't think think that non-beleivers would be more prone to suicide, though it also wouldn't surprise me.

My core belief is that blue dot is heaven.  Or hell.  I'm Catholic, but with kind of a Hindu belief system that the blue dot is where we atone for our sins, and work our way through our weaknesses, faults, etc.

My thought process is, if it doesn't get any better for most of us, then aren't we in heaven.  And if this is heaven, isn't that evidence of a deity?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I don't think think that non-beleivers would be more prone to suicide, though it also wouldn't surprise me. My core belief is that blue dot is heaven.  Or hell.  I'm Catholic, but with kind of a Hindu belief system that the blue dot is where we atone for our sins, and work our way through our weaknesses, faults, etc. My thought process is, if it doesn't get any better for most of us, then aren't we in heaven.  And if this is heaven, isn't that evidence of a deity?
    Posted by Joebreidey

Let's hope there is beer in heaven , if not in the Sox' clubhouse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

This thread certainly helps you sort out your level of respect for specific forum participants. It also tells you which ones never read, think, or watch the news. This is good since you can place more of them onto ignore. It tells you for example which ones are heathens, agnostics, have music, wrestling, NASCAR as their God, or are just indifferent to the questions about our existence.The intelligent most probably didn't participate or have left the forum because it is a den of the ignorant. The forum seems to be top heavy with those who believe in nothing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Just try and remember that religion is of man and Christianity is Christ like

Life would be easier if everyone remembered that.  I will occasionally tell people that you don't have to be Catholic to be Christian.  I don't even think you need to be religious to be Christian.  I believe Christ was God, because he was too smart not to be, but that is an insignificant portion of my faith.

*Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against"
    "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasars and unto God what is God's"
    "Love your enemies"
    "the love of money is the root of all evil"
    "judge not, that ye not be judged"

Almost all the bad stuff on the planet revolves around these five things.  Forget about God and religion, and everything else.  Remember those five things and the world is a beautiful place.

Sections
Shortcuts