Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]This thread certainly helps you sort out your level of respect for specific forum participants. It also tells you which ones never read, think, or watch the news. This is good since you can place more of them onto ignore. It tells you for example which ones are heathens, agnostics, have music, wrestling, NASCAR as their God, or are just indifferent to the questions about our existence.The intelligent most probably didn't participate or have left the forum because it is a den of the ignorant. The forum seems to be top heavy with those who believe in nothing.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]
    I was thinking the same thing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]Don't know about anyone else, but I think spirituality is an extremely personal thing. People who wear their religion on their sleeve for all to see have always seemed a little over the top to me, like a wealthy person who spends ostentatiously, just so everyone else will see they have money. I don't dislike Tim Tebow because he's a Christian, I dislike him because of his childish "Tebowing" every time he gains a yard, as though God really does have a vested interest in the Denver Bronco's won-lost record. And I find myself wishing Adrian Gonzalez would just play baseball and let the rest of the world find its own faith. Do you think professional sports are the proper forum for evangelical pursuits?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]
    WELL good for you.....   YOU have an opinion, and you had the chance to speak it.....  IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW IT.....  Tim Tebow is entitled to his opinion also.... whether you like it or not, he has a RIGHT to express his opinion that GOD IS HIS SAVIOR and TO GIVE HIM ACOLADES.....   You do not dislike him because he is a Christian?  Well have you bad mouthed any of the guys yelling Allah Akbar and blowing up innocents lately?
    LOOK, You are entirely entitled to your opinon and uyour feeling about his "Tebowing"... but in the same breath so is he entitled to show his faith.... and YOU KNOW WHY you are both entitled to that?  Because someone else was willing to put his life on the line to ensure you clowns could play your games trying to prevent others from having their say.  SORRY..... but my 9 deployments and 4 back surgeries make me especially qualified to say..... YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINON />>>. BUT SO IS HE!  IF you try to shut down his opinion because you don't like it then your opinon has ZERO value in the world.
    I do not particulary like ANY excessive celebration following any sporting action....  but I do not condemn any of them for using the RIGHT that I was willing to die to preserve for them.  IF you do then you are just one of those who is entitled..... and truly you have no RIGHT to judge others though you believe that you do.

Since You asked.... "I think" that anywhere any person chooses to exhibit their faith is up to them....  Just because you do not believe exactly as they do- does NOT mean that you are right.....  Thanks for showing me just how well Americans use their own rights, but attempt to eliminate the rights of others with their hateful speech.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]Don't know about anyone else, but I think spirituality is an extremely personal thing. People who wear their religion on their sleeve for all to see have always seemed a little over the top to me, like a wealthy person who spends ostentatiously, just so everyone else will see they have money. I don't dislike Tim Tebow because he's a Christian, I dislike him because of his childish "Tebowing" every time he gains a yard, as though God really does have a vested interest in the Denver Bronco's won-lost record. And I find myself wishing Adrian Gonzalez would just play baseball and let the rest of the world find its own faith. Do you think professional sports are the proper forum for evangelical pursuits?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

I find this to be such an ironic thing.

"PROPER forum"  ????

Beer guzzling, womanizing, profanity laced, performance enhancing based - both legal and illegal, self-serving forum ...

Billion dollar businesses that feed only the personal wants of people when other folks are starving and barely making ends meet ...

This proper forum?

So, you find religinon extremely personal?  If it is real, it has to be extremely personal, otherwise it's just another thin layer, a veneer, of falseness.

Gonzalez has lived a life that is expemplory in almost every way ... and you're offended by his use of terms? Sheees

Tebow lives exactly the opposite lifetsyle of all the morons that are out there that we often bash - A-Rod, for instance - and you get offended that he finds a close, vital espression of his life with God as offensive?

Please.

You couldn't find two more PROPER people in life than Adrian Gonzalez or Tim Tebow ...

And you would ask them to be hypocritical to please your sense of PROPER?

Really?

If your God isn't good enough to share with others in public.... he ain't much of a God.

If your God doesn't mean enough to you that you wouldn't mind sharing Him as a guideline to what is central to your life ... He doesn't really doesn't mean a whole lot to you.

But, baseball stats, calling the skipper names, stomping on your team when they have a rough time, treating a member of your team like dirt when things are tough ... now THAT IS "PROPER"

Riiigggghhtttt....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : " Mary got knocked up" was meant to be insulting and offensive. Any Catholic would be disgusted by that statement.  Gays , blacks and hispanics are " protected groups."  If you offend them here , you are banned. If you offend them in public , you lose your job. If you offend Muslims , you may lose more than your job.  But Catholics remain fair game for these " progressive " , politically correct, bigoted , hypocrites.  Why is that?  We are all free to believe what we want, but why not have respect for the beliefs of others. " Mary got knocked up " is one of the worst things I have seen posted on this forum.  I have lost all respect for the poster who calls himself " These men are cowards."
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Thank-you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Ah, the NRA argument "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."  I don't buy it.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Well I have had numerous guns in my home for years... and cases of ammunition located in the gun locker beside them for ages..... but they have not killed anyone.  HHHHMMMMM? 
    Now due to the job I used to do for my country.... I "people" have had to do this act before.  However, it was not my GUN that did it.... whether you can understand that or not.   NOW if you are an ignorant person ( which I believe you are not) then you do not understand the entire concept as you believe that you must be protected by some form of government rule that prevents others ( probably that don't even know you) from having the abilty to protect themselves.   I'll say it- IF someone breaks in my home, they are a dead man... and there will not be enough left of their corpse for CSI to figure out what happened with.  I PLAY FOR KEEPS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]"Unbelievers expect a Christian to be perfect". Only until christians stop judging those who don't share their belief system.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]
    Really ROADRUNNER.... I consider myself to be CHristian.... and as such I judge no man lest I shall be judged.  DO I say that the rules of GOD are _______ and if you choose not to live by them then you are less worthy than someone whodoes?  YEP....  but I am not judging you, you are classifying yourself as less worthy if you do not live with some form of morality.... I could care less what you do as long as it does not affect me or my family.  IF it does, then we have a problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Off topic or not, there have been a multitude of incisive and articulate posts on this thread. People on both sides of the secular humanism vs. religion aisle have made very compelling and pertinent points.  For me, I would not necessarily be unnerved by Tebow's declarations of faith, especially because he does seem like a genuinely Christian soul and just a good guy in reality.  That being said, there at times does seem to be a "look at me, again, I'm a good Christian" aspect there even beyond the repetitive media exploitation of the entire matter, as davetheknave already alluded to at the beginning of the thread.  The larger problem, though, is that a conservative political culture has co-opted "christian faith" to serve right-wing ideological purposes, and so that baggage usually trails behind so many "born-again" celebrities like Tebow.  But the theological baggage is equally flawed: we get that medieval triple-decker universe (heaven, hell and possibly purgatory) where that loving and merciful anthropomorphic God decides to incinerate (or just torture) the "damned" souls for eternity, while those who are "born-again" and "accept Jesus" get admitted to the asbestos-free and yet flame-retardant penthouse...It is no wonder that evangelically-driven atheists like the late Christopher Hitchens or the sociobiologist Richard Dawkins (see chilliwing's  avatar-photo and quote) are so impressed with their own intellectual complexity when all they have to do is point their reductionist empiricism swords at that philosophical balloon that is the flat-earth anthropomorphic God of the religious right, and POP!!!....They do not even need to puncture the surface...There are many deeply religious individuals in this country who neither embrace the right wing ideology that comes with most "born again" churches (a few more drone attacks, Barack, please, so we can zap a few more evil Islamic terrorists), nor who share a medieval view of God and the universe.  Just as the sanctimonious "I'm saved and you're not" mentality of blowhard evangelists is hard to abide by, the philosophically simplistic equating of any religious faith to that of an infantile belief in orbiting chocolate teapots is both disingenuous and intellectually dismissive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

How about denying birth control to those who need it? Isn't that tyranny?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

ROADRUNNER.... You are so out to lunch on this one..... NO ONE DENIED anyone birth control.... They said that they will NOT PARTICIPATE in the murder of unboard humans..... Yes I said MURDER.....    They did not tell their employees that they cannot go out and purchase these items to kill their own fetus if they desire.  They said they will not be complicit in the murder of one of God's Chidren... because that is their religious belief.

ONLY a FOOL believes that pregnancy is a disease.....

Oh and the LEFT who keeps telling us that they desire us to stay out of their bedrooms- wants us to fund their screwing around...... NO!!!!!  I am staying out of your personal life... buy your own damned condoms and birth control pills..... IF you can't afford them ask the DNC to put their freakin money where their mouth is..... BIRTH CONTROL IS NOT A RIGHT!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]This thread certainly helps you sort out your level of respect for specific forum participants. It also tells you which ones never read, think, or watch the news. This is good since you can place more of them onto ignore. It tells you for example which ones are heathens, agnostics, have music, wrestling, NASCAR as their God, or are just indifferent to the questions about our existence.The intelligent most probably didn't participate or have left the forum because it is a den of the ignorant. The forum seems to be top heavy with those who believe in nothing.

Ahhh the nihalists.... VEEEE believe in nothing Lebowski.

".....just indifferent to the questions about our existence"

Ironic statement.  It would seem that those who blindly follow the masses of the major religions are the ones who are too scared to ask questions about our existence.  This thread started with Tim Tebow right, well Tim doesn't have questions about his existence, it is all neatly packaged for him in his religion.  It would seem that those who don't buy into the simplistic explanations of the "bigger questions" that all the major religions offer are the only ones asking these questions. 

"Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate." F.M. Knowles

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Athletes and religion : I find this to be such an ironic thing.   "PROPER forum"  ????     Beer guzzling, womanizing, profanity laced, performance enhancing based - both legal and illegal, self-serving forum ...     Billion dollar businesses that feed only the personal wants of people when other folks are starving and barely making ends meet ...    This proper forum?     So, you find religinon extremely personal?  If it is real, it has to be extremely personal, otherwise it's just another thin layer, a veneer, of falseness.    Gonzalez has lived a life that is expemplory in almost every way ... and you're offended by his use of terms? Sheees    Tebow lives exactly the opposite lifetsyle of all the morons that are out there that we often bash - A-Rod, for instance - and you get offended that he finds a close, vital espression of his life with God as offensive?   Please.   You couldn't find two more PROPER people in life than Adrian Gonzalez or Tim Tebow ...   And you would ask them to be hypocritical to please your sense of PROPER?       Really?    If your God isn't good enough to share with others in public.... he ain't much of a God.      If your God doesn't mean enough to you that you wouldn't mind sharing Him as a guideline to what is central to your life ... He doesn't really doesn't mean a whole lot to you.    But, baseball stats, calling the skipper names, stomping on your team when they have a rough time, treating a member of your team like dirt when things are tough ... now THAT IS "PROPER"    Riiigggghhtttt....      
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
    SINCE GOD....  GREAT STATEMENTS...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Freedom of religion is the right to PRACTICE  your religion.  Catholicism teaches that taking of a life from conception to a natural death is a grave sin. The church also teaches that to participate in another's grave sin is committing that sin also. For example, if I were to drive a women to an abortion mill to have an abortion I would have the grave sin of abortion on my soul. My religion teaches me that if I knowing have a grave sin on my soul and I do not sincerely repent I will go to hell. You may not agree with what the catholic church teaches but that's not the point.  The catholic church has the right to teach what she believes to her followers. Catholics have a RIGHT TO PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION.  By forcing them to provide abortion pills, sterilization and the pill they are committing a grave sin so their soul would be in jeopardy of damnation. By the way the pill works in two ways.  One is to stop ovulation hence preventing pregnancy.  The other is to prevent the uterus from accepting a fertilized egg. The newly conceived child in then expelled from the womb.  Millions of women have aborted millions of babies and have not realization of what they have done. Pregnancy isn't a disease so it's prevention isn't health care.  The left has uses those words to convince people women have a right to birth control, they don't.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

The first amendment states that congress shall make no law prohibiting the free excercise of one's religion.  You are making the leap that a church can then enter into the private sector, run a business, and does not have to comply with legislation governing that business or industry.

That argument pretty much allows church-run institutions to do whatever they want.  They would not have to respect any employment laws - they would only hire Catholics because Jews and Muslims and Atheists have false gods, and that breaks a commandment.  Christian Scientist institutions would not offer health care of any kind.  Scientologist institutions would implement their own payroll tax withholdings that went directly back to the church.

The first amendment is not meant to protect businesses - it's meant to protect people.  Nobody is stopping Catholics from practicing their religion, but if you run a business, you have to abide by the laws that govern that business.  And it's not like the Catholic Church isn't aware of this and prepared to make compromises for the sake of its businesses - how many Catholic hospitals are closed on the Sabbath?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : The first amendment states that congress shall make no law prohibiting the free excercise of one's religion.  You are making the leap that a church can then enter into the private sector, run a business, and does not have to comply with legislation governing that business or industry. That argument pretty much allows church-run institutions to do whatever they want.  They would not have to respect any employment laws - they would only hire Catholics because Jews and Muslims and Atheists have false gods, and that breaks a commandment.  Christian Scientist institutions would not offer health care of any kind.  Scientologist institutions would implement their own payroll tax withholdings that went directly back to the church. The first amendment is not meant to protect businesses - it's meant to protect people.  Nobody is stopping Catholics from practicing their religion, but if you run a business, you have to abide by the laws that govern that business.  And it's not like the Catholic Church isn't aware of this and prepared to make compromises for the sake of its businesses - how many Catholic hospitals are closed on the Sabbath?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well said, slomag....As a progressive Catholic, I could not agree more.  Plus, the "contraception" controversy is in no way at the level of moral gravity that the issue of abortion is...Since the Second Vatican Council, the vast majority of Catholics and Catholic priests have moved beyond the old prohibition over family planning that dates back to Jansenist and Gnostic influences on scholastic theology, especially St. Augustine.  It is a cadre of conservative American cardinals, with the cooperation of a politically right-wing pope, who have made this into an issue.  As a Catholic, I am morally opposed to abortion because every zygote constitutes an eternal human soul, and I never feel happy when my tax dollars fund it, even indirectly.  But I have the right to be outspoken about this, and advocate in the public square for changes in public policy without trying to impose my beliefs on eveyone else.  To put family planning on the same level with abortion is ludicrous, and especially ironic because the availability of contraception decreases the amount of unwanted pregnancies to begin with.  If Pope John the XXIII were alive today to see where this American Captivity pope has led the Church, he would be...yes....rolling over in his cathedra...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This thread started with Tim Tebow right, well Tim doesn't have questions about his existence, it is all neatly packaged for him in his religion.  It would seem that those who don't buy into the simplistic explanations of the "bigger questions" that all the major religions offer are the only ones asking these questions.

And you found this how?  Did Tim tell you he doesn't have questions?  Or are you making this up so that you don't have to qustion yourself?

Many people of faith have questions, but choose to believe in the absence of evidence either way.  It sounds like you are the one refusing to question your own beliefs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I already admitted to this earlier - I get on my knees and pray to woman; I believe in Rock and Roll and will do whatever I must to protect my family. And no books or texts or anything else written by men do gain power over other men can make me think otherwise.

I am a heathen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

1 Corinthians 2:14

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, pretty deep stuff here. I'll just say I respect everyone's right to believe what they believe (with some limits). But I'll also quote George Carlin: "Organized religion should never be confused with God."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : I already admitted to this earlier - I get on my knees and pray to woman; I believe in Rock and Roll and will do whatever I must to protect my family. And no books or texts or anything else written by men do gain power over other men can make me think otherwise. I am a heathen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    You forget, jessey, that despite your heathen ways, you are a Yankee fan on a Red Sox forum who maintains his class and decorum....Knowing that, there might be a slim chance that St. Peter will let you sneak in a back entrance.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In the spiritual world the Boston Red Sox, with a million dollar payroll, win the AL East each season, while the New York Yankees spend into the billions, and then into the trillions and quadrillions, in their fervent desire to finally overtake the Red Sox, and win the division.  But each year the Yankees lose their season finale against the Baltimore Orioles, usually by one run in extra innings, to finish in second place, just one game behind the Red Sox, and just one game out of the wild card race as well.  And God is in his Heaven, and all is right with the world, forever and ever, amen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In the spiritual world the Boston Red Sox, with a million dollar payroll, win the AL East each season, while the New York Yankees spend into the billions, and then into the trillions and quadrillions, in their fervent desire to finally overtake the Red Sox, and win the division.  But each year the Yankees lose their season finale against the Baltimore Orioles, usually by one run in extra innings, to finish in second place, just one game behind the Red Sox, and just one game out of the wild card race as well.  And God is in his Heaven, and all is right with the world, forever and ever, amen.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    I will pray for you, my child....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : The first amendment states that congress shall make no law prohibiting the free excercise of one's religion.  You are making the leap that a church can then enter into the private sector, run a business, and does not have to comply with legislation governing that business or industry. That argument pretty much allows church-run institutions to do whatever they want.  They would not have to respect any employment laws - they would only hire Catholics because Jews and Muslims and Atheists have false gods, and that breaks a commandment.  Christian Scientist institutions would not offer health care of any kind.  Scientologist institutions would implement their own payroll tax withholdings that went directly back to the church. The first amendment is not meant to protect businesses - it's meant to protect people.  Nobody is stopping Catholics from practicing their religion, but if you run a business, you have to abide by the laws that govern that business.  And it's not like the Catholic Church isn't aware of this and prepared to make compromises for the sake of its businesses - how many Catholic hospitals are closed on the Sabbath?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Many years ago I worked as a nurse at a catholic hospital in Boston.  One of our aids was a nun, a wonderful caring woman.

The church teaches that there are certain jobs that need to be done on Sunday.  Nurses, policemen, firemen etc. are helping others so they are allowed to work on Sunday so that isn't a good example.

Jesus healed the sick on the Sabbath and was criticized so I guess catholics shouldn't be surprised with the way they are being treated.

Catholic institutions are protected by the constitution.  Catholics arn't allowed to participative in mortal sin.  Providing birth control is participating in mortal sin.  Catholics can't exercise their right to their religious beliefs by providing birth control because they will be going against what their religion teaches.

The constitution protects freedom of religion.  Catholics have opened many hospitals and schools in America.  Is this country better off if these institutions close?  Tax payers will have to pay to replacement these hospitals and schools.

How is Obama care going to work if all the catholic hospitals close?

Catholic institutions can certainly hire jews, mormons, etc.  How is it a sin to hire these people? 

Is it a grave sin for Scientoligist to pay taxes? Christian scientists are allowed to go to the hospital so of course they can offer insurance.

I don't think you have made a good counter argument.

You may not agree with the catholic church but if a catholic institution provides birth control then those people are in grave danger of going to hell. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]1 Corinthians 2:14 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Well said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Well said.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I believe there is a giant chocolate teapot orbiting the sun and, despite the total absence of any objective evidence to support my belief, I DEMAND you respect my faith and allow me to parade it in public. Either that, or you leave your personal, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable, childish beliefs at home and I will too. Of course, I would defend to the death your right to believe anthing you want as long as it doesn't affect others.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

An interesting position, perhaps even a tasty one.

But I can assure you the faith that Adrian, Tim and myself hold, to will have no AFFECT on you...

EFFECT?  Possibly.  One could only hope.

Chili, if you would like to meet someone who won't  melt away in the heat of the solar surface, I'd be happy to talk with you about Him.  You have a good mind and an even better wit ... imagine what it could do with someone giving you good advice for living ...

But that would EFFECT your life.

I am at your beck and call, friend.

:o)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, pretty deep stuff here. I'll just say I respect everyone's right to believe what they believe (with some limits). But I'll also quote George Carlin: "Organized religion should never be confused with God."
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd,
      If you ever worshipped in any of the churches I pastored, organized would not be the first word that would come to mind!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

WesternOregon

Two extremely well made points.

Bravo!

You would think posters here would recognize foolishness, but alas, there are those who cling to it more fiercely than the bargain wedding dresses offered at .....   well, they don't do that anymore do they??

And that is FIERCE!

I received a letter from Carl Sagn the other day.  It contained a fervent plea,

"PLEASE TELL THEM I WAS WRONG!!  THERE MAY BE BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF STARS, BUT THERE IS ONE GOD, TOO!  Please overlook my ignorance while on earth ......."

Sections
Shortcuts