Attention RED SOX Management!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grillmasters. Show Grillmasters's posts

Attention RED SOX Management!

Bring back Francona!  C'mon guys....do you really want to continue down this horrible path that has been taking shape since manager switch?  Even "non-baseball" sideliners can spot where the errors are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Re: Attention RED SOX Management!

If you are really serious, I don't think bringing Francona back would help. I appreciate what he did with the sox, but it was time for him to move on. He seemed to be distracted with his personal problems last year and lost control of the team.

Who the manager is doesn't make that much difference when so many players aren't playing up to their potential.

A manager can't make the pitchers throw better. Maybe they need to get rid of McClure and let Valentine pick his own pitching coach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The problem isnt the manager, it is the team.  Lack of talent starting pitchings such as lack of ACE/#2 starter.  Too many injuries.  Too many bad contracts.  Too many whining fans not being enough supportive.  Too much media staffs getting involve.  ETC ETC.

I could be the manager right now, and my record would probably be the same as BV or Francona of August/September of 2011

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JN86. Show JN86's posts

In Response to Re: Attention RED SOX Management!:
    [QUOTE]The problem isnt the manager, it is the team.  Lack of talent starting pitchings such as lack of ACE/#2 starter.  Too many injuries.  Too many bad contracts.  Too many whining fans not being enough supportive.  Too much media staffs getting involve.  ETC ETC. I could be the manager right now, and my record would probably be the same as BV or Francona of August/September of 2011
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Note: Lack of ACE/#2 is incorrect.  Look at the stats - all the stats!  Oh and ACE/#1 has a w/l record of 5-9 and and ERA of 5.36.  So why are you ONLY referencing the #2 starter?  This is the problem - it is NOT ACe/#2 it is the media and people like you - pointing fingers at one person.  The whole team is having problems - not just ONE player.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]The problem isnt the manager, it is the team.  Lack of talent starting pitchings such as lack of ACE/#2 starter.  Too many injuries.  Too many bad contracts.  Too many whining fans not being enough supportive.  Too much media staffs getting involve.  ETC ETC. I could be the manager right now, and my record would probably be the same as BV or Francona of August/September of 2011
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Italicized = Agree

Bold = Disagree (Didn't know you were capable of being a manager - throw your name in the hat - there will be an opening in a few months...maybe less)

Bad contracts don't have an effect on on-field performance IMO - moreso a detriment to team building (which admittedly can affect on-field performance, but the RS roster already has the 'talent' to win. Where to detriment comes in is when we lose players due to bloated payroll ie Ells circa 2013)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I was not in favor of Valentine's hiring, but it's unfair to place the blame for this season solely on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's a better plan than Cherrington has: Bring up all the kids! Bradley in Center,Linares in LF,Brentz in RF. Gomez at Firstbase,Ciriaco second base,Iggy SS,Middlebrooks 3b,Lavarnway C...Barnes,Ranaudo,Britton,Wright,Stewart get the to take the bump! Can't be any than the present group of losers soiling the field..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a better plan than Cherrington has: Bring up all the kids! Bradley in Center,Linares in LF,Brentz in RF. Gomez at Firstbase,Ciriaco second base,Iggy SS,Middlebrooks 3b,Lavarnway C...Barnes,Ranaudo,Britton,Wright,Stewart get the to take the bump! Can't be any than the present group of losers soiling the field..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I always empathize this style of thinking, but...........it won't happen.

IMO - solely because of the 'service time clock'. It's a lame reason to fans, but teams certainly pay attention to it when considering calling up players. The faster you call 'em up, the faster you have to pay them 'real money'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]Tito was the manger of the biggest season collapse in baseball history. I don't think so.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    he was also the manager of the greatest post season comeback in baseball history. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a better plan than Cherrington has: Bring up all the kids! Bradley in Center,Linares in LF,Brentz in RF. Gomez at Firstbase,Ciriaco second base,Iggy SS,Middlebrooks 3b,Lavarnway C...Barnes,Ranaudo,Britton,Wright,Stewart get the to take the bump! Can't be any than the present group of losers soiling the field..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
    this kind of thinking went the way of the dodo the minute the term "big market team" was coined.  $175MM sitting on the bench?  never going to happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Francona would never, ever return to this team.  What would give people that impression?  Because he "held court" with players during the NYY series? 

Some of people who wanted him fired last year are all over these boards demanding something be done about Bobby V.  Hey, they got their wish...

How's that working out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The way I see it is ; some fans are so in love with the players that they cannot bear to hear any criticism of them. So , they have to find other reasons for the team's failure. It must be the manager's fault, or the coaches , or the G.M. , or the owners, or the trainers. It's the media, why are they always lying about things ?  It's the injuries. Yeah , yeah , it's the injuries. Darn the luck. And , don't forget the umpires. Why are they always cheating us ?  Yup , it is everybody's fault but the players. Say anything bad about the players , and the " real fans " get very indignant.  It can't be the players. Why , they are great.  As for Tito , give me a break. He did a good job for a while , but was totally burnt out. He stood around looking bewitched ,bothered and bewildered as the team quit on him last September.  Face the reality folks. Most of these players are overpaid and overrated. The team is simply not that good. They are not worth your hero worship.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A truly obtuse OP.  For starters, there were tons of comments and threads throughout Francona's tenure about all his lousy decisions, despite the fact that his 8 years were the most successful managerial career in Red Sox history.  Overall, I thought he was a plus, but I also agreed the FO had good reason not to renew his contract last year.  The epic collapse, chicken and beer stuff, etc.  Even though he immediately expressed interest in managing elsewhere, no one was interested. 

Second, as others have noted, it's almost always about player performance.  The rotation has been affected by injuries, but mostly has just been lousy--Buchholz and Doubront being exceptions.  The lineup has produced runs but has also been inconsistent, last night being a perfect example--two hits, both by AGon, who looked like the only guy in the lineup who understands the art of hitting, in 9 innings.  Or look at the first three guys, all former all-stars, in last night's lineup--Ells, CC, and Pedroia.  None are hitting .270, and the highest OPS among them is .720, Pedroia's.    All three have been affected by injuries. Now the best hitter this year, Ortiz, is also on the DL, ditto Sweeney. Ross and Youk were on it. 

Third, I think Bobby V has done a good job mitigating the weak performances and injuries by adjust lineups and by using the bullpen aggressively. Francona had the benefit of one of the best closers in MLB for over five years, but Bobby V had to pick a name out of a hat after Bailey and Melancon went down. 

One of the boldest moves Bobby V made this year was sending AGon to RF 16 times in order to get first Ortiz and then Youkilis into the lineup.  AGon is the highest paid player on the team, but, unlike all other highly paid firstbasemen now or in the last 20 years (or more), was more than willing to go out there to help the team. Everybody comments about Bobby V's relationship with Youk or Pedroia or whoever, but nobody to date has commented on the relationship between the star player and the manager, which has to be excellent.

At the end of the day, Bobby V could still lose his job.  He said himself he expects to be evaluated by wins and losses.  No excuses for injuries or Beckett and Lester being lousy or whatever.  That's baseball.  You can't fire the players or, in this case, even move them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Attention RED SOX Management! : Italicized = Agree Bold = Disagree (Didn't know you were capable of being a manager - throw your name in the hat - there will be an opening in a few months...maybe less) Bad contracts don't have an effect on on-field performance IMO - moreso a detriment to team building (which admittedly can affect on-field performance, but the RS roster already has the 'talent' to win. Where to detriment comes in is when we lose players due to bloated payroll ie Ells circa 2013)
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

My point about bad contracts is that they are hard to be move such as Boston would like to trade him to make the team a better team.  That is why I say "Bad contract".  Also these bad contract players tend to get all the bashing even they may be as even as most players on the roster.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Right....

Bad contracts affect the long term health of the organization due to prohibiting team improvement due to the financial implications. They don't lose 5-0 games where you get 2-hit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Why should the fans not gripe, they are paying top dollar to see this disaster this year and it is not going to be righted next year either. In response to "Re: Attention RED SOX Management!": [QUOTE]The problem isnt the manager, it is the team.  Lack of talent starting pitchings such as lack of ACE/#2 starter.  Too many injuries.  Too many bad contracts.  Too many whining fans not being enough supportive.  Too much media staffs getting involve.  ETC ETC. I could be the manager right now, and my record would probably be the same as BV or Francona of August/September of 2011 Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The ownership and UPPER management is the main problem IMO...They created this mess...Some players are under performing, but I think fans could handle that a bit better if there wasnt such a sense of entitlement from some players...And the FO feeds right into that entitlement...
    Personally, I have always supported this team and will continue to do so...But this last little event of a player going to management because they didnt like the way BV said something to a player??? Im really over a lot of this attitude from some of these little babies they got on this team..."Thats not how we do things around here" Really???....Just whos running this team anyway?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Tito was the manger of the biggest season collapse in baseball history. I don't think so.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Julien was the head coach in the biggest playoff collapse in NHL history, up 3-0 in the series, not only loses 4 straight, but up 3-0 after 1 period in Game 7....the very next year? Despite fans who wanted him gone...he coaches the team to the Stanley Cup.....Also Tito managed the greatest comeback in sports history, down 3-0 v. the winningest franchise in sports history. So enough about history and Tito's place in history. 2 WS titles won, more than any Sox manager going back to the 19teens.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]The way I see it is ; some fans are so in love with the players that they cannot bear to hear any criticism of them. So , they have to find other reasons for the team's failure. It must be the manager's fault, or the coaches , or the G.M. , or the owners, or the trainers. It's the media, why are they always lying about things ?  It's the injuries. Yeah , yeah , it's the injuries. Darn the luck. And , don't forget the umpires. Why are they always cheating us ?  Yup , it is everybody's fault but the players. Say anything bad about the players , and the " real fans " get very indignant.  It can't be the players. Why , they are great.  As for Tito , give me a break. He did a good job for a while , but was totally burnt out. He stood around looking bewitched ,bothered and bewildered as the team quit on him last September.  Face the reality folks. Most of these players are overpaid and overrated. The team is simply not that good. They are not worth your hero worship.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Absolutely and totally agree with you "dgalehouse".  IMO your post gets my vote for the "Red Sox Post of the Year" award.  WTG and GO SOX!

25. This post has been removed.